• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Universal Booyah/C'mon Language Thread

Kirbykirby74

Inkling
NNID
Kirbykirby56
I think that it would be a good idea to create a universal form of communication. Here's my ideas.

Two Booyahs(From now on notated 'B') and one C'mon (From now on notated 'C') within the first 10 seconds of a battle = A notification that this language is being used.

B = "Enemy splatted"
BB = "Enemy escaped me"
BBB = "Enemy heading to nearby teamate"
BBBB = "I got splatted"

C = "Let's start a push!"
CC = "There's an enemy here, let's take them out!"

Any new ideas? Do you think that this type of language is a good idea?

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
This seems like a cool idea! It might take a bit of spreading to catch on, but it could be pretty useful if it got far enough!

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I don't think it is a good idea. I mean... it's a good idea but I don't think it would work.

It's very difficult to tell if someone has pressed "Nice" or "To me" once, twice or three times
Even if it were clear, does anyone really have time to keep track?
What if half your team doesn't know what it means?
Would the pressing of the button compromise the quality of your playing?

I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't want my team doing it either.

Besides, I think most players, at least higher ranked/more experienced ones, keep watch of the game pad. I definitely do. So signalling where an enemy is, or an enemy splatted isn't really necessary.

I use it to tell where the enemy is, I watch where the ink is changing colour. And I check it if I can if I see the number of active players change.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I would've said what spiderface stated so I'm in agreement. It's very hard to tell for other players exact number of presses.

That being said if you are squading with other players you definitely can decide beforehand what "c'mon/booyah" will mean for you. They can be quick commands even if you're voice chatting.

In solo ranked however it's best if "c'mon"/"to me" is used to signify that you are positioned for a respawning player to safely super jump to you so you can get reinforcements quicker.
Though "booyah" is mostly useful as a morale boost so if a teammate saves you or your team wipes the other team or you're just about to win it feels good to booyah. It doesn't really serve much tactical purpose.

AC_Decoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
actionjackson105
I thought it was universal that if you got splatted and spammed the Booyah/nice button it meant "watch out/I was splatted here". That's what my teammates usually do with the booyah button besides celebrating.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I thought it was universal that if you got splatted and spammed the Booyah/nice button it meant "watch out/I was splatted here". That's what my teammates usually do with the booyah button besides celebrating.
For me, if someone else or me does something really stupid I say "nice/booyah" and I notice other people doing it too.

So I never use it for tactical purposes unless I've inked a path for the rainmaker and no one is following me.

AC_Decoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
actionjackson105
For me, if someone else or me does something really stupid I say "nice/booyah" and I notice other people doing it too.

So I never use it for tactical purposes unless I've inked a path for the rainmaker and no one is following me.
When I'm trying to get team members to follow me that's when I spam the C'mon/To me command.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I feel like the general usage of each one is so random depending on your team/queue lol. I like the idea of trying to push a universal language for them, but it'd be hard to make universal. I generally just hope that people "Booyah" as either a celebratory battle cry or a warning of death/not to Super Jump, and "C'mon" as a signal that it's safe to proceed in their direction. Or...just to spam when the team's doing poorly lol.

Angel1010

Inkling
NNID
168wiiu
It is a good idea but is hard to use. It is difficult to become universal too, for there are so many people playing splatoon. In battles, sometimes it's too intense to take note of how many booyahs are you pressing in the middle of a fight.
I personally booyah when I was splatted then a teammate helps me to take revenge. It's a little 'thanks!' to my teammate.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
58 consecutive booyahs while squidbagging = "Where the party at?"

Anyways I hate how people use Com'on" to mean "stop sucking", or whatever, god I hate that English ping message. Neeeded be come to me or something.

My personal commands:
booyaha>com'on>booyah>com'on (I am using your beakon), I do this while in the air.

*spams com'on while spaming super jumping to the person*
Stop ingoring my commands to come here, we need you to defend tower, or do not ingore my command to come and just standing there firing the RM. Bascially this is something I only do to really get someone's attention. I know the reply, you can be playing game not super jumping to the person, well it has helped me win games before by getting the person back in action. another way I have of doing this is tapping the character as they are respawning (this gives them a ping notice without me super jumping to them) as I spam come'on.

With many matches I do, I do not do it a lot. it is rare but I do it in hope someone will change action and it HAS WORKED in some cases.

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Anyways I hate how people use Com'on" to mean "stop sucking", or whatever, god I hate that English ping message. Neeeded be come to me or something
Yeah, Come to me would be much clearer. In JP version, it is C'mon as well (カモン!) but I dont think the term carries the same breadth of use that English speakers give it, so its pretty clear for them as far as I can tell.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Yeah, Come to me would be much clearer. In JP version, it is C'mon as well (カモン!) but I dont think the term carries the same breadth of use that English speakers give it, so its pretty clear for them as far as I can tell.
what about ここ? can you explain what exactly "カモン" means? in English people can take this as simply 'hurry up" so it has a negative implied meaning of you are doing bad come on lets go hurry up, etc.

omegaprime02

Inkling
NNID
omegaprime02
As many have stated, most players won't be able to use this kind of system. For some of the best players that are able to listen out for it, it's a great idea and would give them a massive tactical advantage.

I like the idea, but the game just wasn't built with any kind of communication in mind.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
what about ここ? can you explain what exactly "カモン" means? in English people can take this as simply 'hurry up" so it has a negative implied meaning of you are doing bad come on lets go hurry up, etc.
カモン is "kamon!" Its literally just c'mon stolen from English and Japanized. Its an informal/childish way to tell someone to come over to you. I have students who say "カモン!" when they want me to come over and answer a question. Its a bit rude I guess but I'm really laid back so I just think its funny.

The proper Japanese phrase for come is "きて" (kite, command form of kuru) or, perahps, "こち" (kochi, or "this way") might work, but Splatoon is all about being hip and fresh so カモン makes more sense in the context of inkling culture. ここ does mean "here" you're right but it doesnt contain or imply any command of action.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
カモン is "kamon!" Its literally just c'mon stolen from English and Japanized. Its an informal/childish way to tell someone to come over to you. I have students who say "カモン!" when they want me to come over and answer a question. Its a bit rude I guess but I'm really laid back so I just think its funny.

The proper Japanese phrase for come is "きて" (kite, command form of kuru) or, perahps, "こち" (kochi, or "this way") might work, but Splatoon is all about being hip and fresh so カモン makes more sense in the context of inkling culture. ここ does mean "here" you're right but it doesnt contain or imply any command of action.
I see, good to know it does not have 10000 meanings like it does here.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I see, good to know it does not have 10000 meanings like it does here.
Yeah, I think it might imply a sense of urgency like it does in English but it really is only limited to wanting someone to go over to you. Like, they wouldnt say "OH COME ON" if you got splatted or something.

Kirbykirby74

Inkling
NNID
Kirbykirby56
You can't even use "C'mon!" while splatted. I think that's a good idea. Anyway, I just wanted to throw this idea out there. Thanks for considering it, though! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom