1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

"Unpatchable" Exploit Makes Switch Hackable

Discussion in 'The Crispy Calamari - Off-Topic Discussion' started by kunoichi squid, May 5, 2018.

1. kunoichi squid

kunoichi squid Inkling Cadet

So I was surfing around the web yesterday, bored as always; but I was also doing some research on why some third party companies won't put their games on the Switch. Anyway, I found this article. So I guess even if no one has (or will own up to) hacking our beloved game Splatoon 2, it is possible at the very least to hack the system and I can sort of understand a bit more about it. Just thought I'd share this article with everyone and see what your opinions are.

Ansible and Yin_ like this.
  2. Maave

Maave Inkling Commander

I've been following this. I'm really glad a local (not remote) perma-exploit is available. I didn't expect it this quickly though. Consoles inevitably lose support, games become rare, etc. Having hacks available for local play keeps the console usable forever. I hack a lot of my consoles for convenience
    -PS2 because I got tired of scratched, unplayable discs
    -DS and 3DS because carrying 1 cart is more convenient and SNES emulators rock
    -PSP is hacked because UMDs suck and so do low-capacity proprietary memory cards

Once some emulators are available I'll be able to convince my friend to get a Switch. I think the barrier-to-entry on the exploit will make piracy and cheating will be rare. I'm glad that my Switch is future-proof.

Ansible likes this.
  3. Emperor

Emperor twitter.com/Emperor_Kun

I just learned about this a few days ago. I still find it funny knowing a paperclip is one of the reasons why this is easily made possible.

4. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Another ArsTechnica reader? Hmm, nice.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if we see a hardware refresh in the near future (maybe sooner than they intend?) due to the exploit becoming public knowledge and it being hardware based. Personally, I'd have some considerations based on whether or not we eventually get local saves like we always should have, but that's just me.

Cephalobro and Chewwiii like this.
  5. Cephalobro

Cephalobro Inkling Fleet Admiral

I'm fine with people doing this as long as they don't do anything online with it and only use it for local things like private matches. The current situation with Splatoon 2 makes me scared that someone will mess with my Super Sea Snail count, level and rank.

Maave and Ansible like this.