• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Urchin Underpass: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Urchin Underpass Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

I decided to make this thread now with the opening of the Global Test-fire even coming very soon and the direct fresh in our minds. Plus, we need specific threads at some point.

So without further ado.

URCHIN UNDERPASS

Map Layouts:

Map by ZYさん

Overview

Total BP: 2100

Urchin Underpass is the stage we probably seen the most of at this point. It was the only stage playable at E3 2014, Apex 2015, and Pax.

Urchin Underpass is one the simplest stages. The layout is pretty direct with few branching pathways and an open spot in the middle where the main conflict usually is said to happen.

"Here, several of the areas are divided by concrete walls." - Splatoon Direct Announcer

Here is one of the looks of the branching path ways. Pictured here is a narrow space including objects to block your shots and an unpaintable surface.

"Squids should especially watch out for the path connecting to the central plaza. It gets messy there." - Splatoon Direct Announcer.

The center area of the map is where most of the conflict will happen, Since it has the most open space, controlling it will give quite a bit of points.

Inkopolis News Comments:
Callie: Whoa! That's a big ol' underpass!
Marie: But don't stop to stare at it! There's battling to do!

Callie: Road trip! Any cuties out there wanna go for a ride?
Marie: Let's use the airwaves responsibly, Callie!

Callie: "Daah...I think securing the central area here is key?"
Marie: "I'd stage my attack from some of those side alleys..."

Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Last edited:

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
There are a lot of walls in this map. I believe people can easily get lost here, if they don't look at the map on the Gamepad.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There are a lot of walls in this map. I believe people can easily get lost here, if they don't look at the map on the Gamepad.
At the same time, there are only so many ways to go due to how small it is. Probably why it is so small.

With that said, besides the central plaza, it'll probably be very easy to slip some ink in places people can't see without looking at the map.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
At the same time, there are only so many ways to go due to how small it is. Probably why it is so small.

With that said, besides the central plaza, it'll probably be very easy to slip some ink in places people can't see without looking at the map.
This is very true. Such a great design for a map.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is very true. Such a great design.
Yeah, it is the perfect beginners map. Shows a lot with what you can do in one simple map. It has spots for snipers, a big open area for duels, places to hide, showing you can climb up walls and go through grates, unpaintable surfaces and obstacles.

I seriously am confused why this isn't one of the demo maps.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah, it is the perfect beginners map. Shows a lot with what you can do in one simple map. It has spots for snipers, a big open area for duels, places to hide, showing you can climb up walls and go through grates, unpaintable surfaces and obstacles.

I seriously am confused why this isn't one of the demo maps.
Dunno, it's a perfect map for beginners. Like you said.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I wonder if it's possible to splathop over the glass in those shortcuts. It would let you go through it quickly without having to ink the walls or turn into a human.

Infinity343018

Senior Squid
One thing that I feel like most people have yet to realize is the design of the stage is a bit different from what it was like back at E3

I can't really go into much detail at the moment, but if someone could find some picture of the E3 map and compare it to the current layout, you'll see what I mean

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
One thing that I feel like most people have yet to realize is the design of the stage is a bit different from what it was like back at E3

I can't really go into much detail at the moment, but if someone could find some picture of the E3 map and compare it to the current layout, you'll see what I mean
I wasn't aware they showed off this map at E3. I'll take a look at it.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I really like the multiple paths you can take in this map. Although it looks a little cramped for my taste I think I will really like this map. :D

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet

Actually I was pondering about creating a thread for this but I figure I'll discuss it here, I believe Urchin Underpass and the map from E3 are actually two different maps, the most obvious difference is the section in the middle, at E3 the map has both "jump ramps" exactly alligned, and in Urchin Underpass they are slightly moved to the side. The thing is, Nintendo videos still show a map with both ramps exactly aligned, which makes me believe that either the map changes some small details from match to match (or another mode) or there are two very similar maps in the game, I wish I could take some screencaps right now, I'll try to do it later and create a thread to discuss about it.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Added the total BP under Overview. BP was found by @Bottlecapn

Also added an extra section. For cool little details like maybe how it looks during Splatfest.

I'm surprised how big this stage is. It is currently the biggest out of the starter stages.

ClearlyConfused

Inkling
I don't really get the theme for this map. Like all other maps we've seen all take place somewhere. On an oil rig, or in a warehouse this one kind of seems like the odd one out as it feels like it was just made for the layout rather than the design. Still I love how all the action is focused in the center

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't really get the theme for this map. Like all other maps we've seen all take place somewhere. On an oil rig, or in a warehouse this one kind of seems like the odd one out as it feels like it was just made for the layout rather than the design. Still I love how all the action is focused in the center
I think it is a sectioned off walkway. Hence Underpass.You can even hear the cars next to it zoom by.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Although this stage seems very small and compact based on the map, it's very big compared to the rest of the maps we've seen so far, and it also maintains a somewhat maze-like structure because of the center being like four little sections. I really like it since it has a little bit of everything, perfect for nearly all weapons in different areas. I feel like in some sections, it would benefit weapons more than others, so a balanced team is key on here.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Decided to add an Inkopolis news section to document all the things Callie and Marie say about each stage since players will be seeing it a lot.

As for the stage itself, it is a bit bland-looking for my taste but the battles there can be intense.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Fighting in the bases is a lot of fun on this map. If we're recording the Inkopolis news sections, here's one.

Callie: Baah... I think securing the central area here is key?
Marie: I'd stage my attack from some of those side alleys...

PUK

Inkling
This is one of the worst map i encountered so far. The amount of cheasy stratgies, and the difficulty to reverse the momentum is disgusting. Biggest victories, and biggest loss here.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
I posted this in another thread discussing Chargers, but I'll cross-post it here for discussion. The gun I'm referencing is the Splatterscope.

Try going to Urchin Underpass and standing on one of the side platforms overlooking the middle. You can cover your entire side of the central area, the elevated area to the left (a popular drop point for rollers), and a good chunk of the opponent's side. If you get Bomb Burst (which you should, provided you don't die extremely quickly), you can rain down on pretty much any point in the center. It's a dominating position that I wish more people explored.
I've found decent success with this, but my personal experience is an admittedly poor sample size. I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with a similar strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom