• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

using friends to "cheat" in turf wars?

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i was playing online the other day, and i noticed two of the other players had the same squad tag as each other. i THINK it was turf wars because i don't know if you can join friends in solo queue ranked (but if you can, it's possible it was ranked).

anyway, even though i myself was getting a ton of kills while myself inly dying once or twice, our team was massively losing many of the games. then i noticed one of my teammates (one of the ones with the tags) was acting strangely.

i knew he had fought pretty hard when teamed against me (with his similarly tagged buddy who happened to be consistently on the other team), but when we were on the same team he pulled pretty much zero points. i decided to watch him.

he wasn't inactive like some players become; he was actually tagging along with teammates... which at first was a relief and then was very concerning. i think he was informing on us to his squadmate when teamed apart, while fighting hard when teamed together.

even though it was probably turf wars and didn't actually matter, i thought this was really ****ish and dropped out. really wish there was a way to report players...

have you encountered this behavior?

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Sometimes you get clan buddies or otherwise that will avoid killing each other. Not as common in solo queue though, since you basically have to try for the same room and then stick to it.

I dunnoooo, even friends, no mercy.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It certainly happens. Only in TW solo, ranked squads can't join randoms only other squads. It's annoying when you know they're communicating, or throwing the match when not together, but it's not like it's difficult to get a new lobby in TW without risks. And Nintendo seems to find it normal since they specifically allow groups of friends to join randoms. It does suck, regardless of what team they're matched on since they have a communications advantage the others don't have. But since Nintendo specifically allows for it, and specifically doesn't for ranked, it is what it is by intent. It's annoying, but so is spyke. ;)

Lyn

Premium
No mercy! It doesn't bother me too much, while yes, one of your teammates is refraining from killing an enemy, it goes both ways. So nobody really gets an advantage.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
No mercy! It doesn't bother me too much, while yes, one of your teammates is refraining from killing an enemy, it goes both ways. So nobody really gets an advantage.
it didn't go both ways.

the one player was following us around and telling his squadmate (who was still playing his best) our locations. so not only did we lose a player without the other team losing a player, but our positions were being verbally revealed to a member of the opposite team.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
The only time I've engaged in "cheating" is deliberately being on opposing teams with my partner, sitting in an obscure corner of the map and shooting over each other's ink the entire game to grind points. Which, all things considered, is probably a more reasonable thing to do.

Award

How petty do you have to be to engage in such shenanigans in turf war? Given the lack of stakes, that's just a waste of everyone's time.
If I were to guess it was practice for communications efficiency in ranked. It ruins the game for everyone in TW, but I'm sure those players would justify it by the fact that Nintendo provided no other way to do it, which is also a half-truth, though they could easily run a private battle for that.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
The only time I've engaged in "cheating" is deliberately being on opposing teams with my partner, sitting in an obscure corner of the map and shooting over each other's ink the entire game to grind points. Which, all things considered, is probably a more reasonable thing to do.
I was in a match where an inkbrush user racked up around 2500 points. I was amazed at first, then I realized another inkbrush user on the other team also got a similar score. I don't remember if they had the same tag or not, but I figured they were farming so I just left the lobby. I guess it's possible that they were legit, but I doubt it.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
i was playing online the other day, and i noticed two of the other players had the same squad tag as each other. i THINK it was turf wars because i don't know if you can join friends in solo queue ranked (but if you can, it's possible it was ranked).

anyway, even though i myself was getting a ton of kills while myself inly dying once or twice, our team was massively losing many of the games. then i noticed one of my teammates (one of the ones with the tags) was acting strangely.

i knew he had fought pretty hard when teamed against me (with his similarly tagged buddy who happened to be consistently on the other team), but when we were on the same team he pulled pretty much zero points. i decided to watch him.

he wasn't inactive like some players become; he was actually tagging along with teammates... which at first was a relief and then was very concerning. i think he was informing on us to his squadmate when teamed apart, while fighting hard when teamed together.

even though it was probably turf wars and didn't actually matter, i thought this was really ****ish and dropped out. really wish there was a way to report players...

have you encountered this behavior?
for rank it is possable by being the same rank. a good friend of mine got in the same room as me when we where b ranks.

For reporting you can try going on recently played, go to miiverse profile, hit report, go to other.

It is something I have not seen but I do not do a lot of tw lately.
I was in a match where an inkbrush user racked up around 2500 points. I was amazed at first, then I realized another inkbrush user on the other team also got a similar score. I don't remember if they had the same tag or not, but I figured they were farming so I just left the lobby. I guess it's possible that they were legit, but I doubt it.
Before friend rooms, I use to join random room, get 7 other friends, all use gold aerospray with ink main saver and speical charge, stand near eachother and just stand there and shoot and use inkstrike to refill, highest point total I seen doing this was around 3700 ish with bonus

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I'm very, very impressed. Didn't know people would think so hard to find not-fun way to play the game, for no glory nor gain. Well I would basically don't care and try to win anyway or change lobby, but I find TW very boring anyway, as the level is low from the start. I think most S+ can win a 3v4 random TW, so having this kind of behaviour wouldn't change much... Might even be funny to hunt the guy the whole game. If it's in raked, one of them will win all the points while the other loses everything, seems quite stupid, but well still you can change lobby.

If I find my teammate in a game, might be TW or ranked, I would play totally seriously, cause it's fun to fight against someone you know, way more than playing ****ty plans out.

Award

I'm very, very impressed. Didn't know people would think so hard to find not-fun way to play the game, for no glory nor gain. Well I would basically don't care and try to win anyway or change lobby, but I find TW very boring anyway, as the level is low from the start. I think most S+ can win a 3v4 random TW, so having this kind of behaviour wouldn't change much... Might even be funny to hunt the guy the whole game. If it's in raked, one of them will win all the points while the other loses everything, seems quite stupid, but well still you can change lobby.

If I find my teammate in a game, might be TW or ranked, I would play totally seriously, cause it's fun to fight against someone you know, way more than playing ****ty plans out.
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can spend so much time thinking of new ways to suck the fund out of something innately fun.

I know they're going for squad/clan practice or whatever...but if so, why throw the match? Wouldn't fighting your own teammate be BETTER practice? I know when I'm against someone, whether it's a friend squad or just a random I've developed a good rivalry with over the course of a few matches, I love going against them. 1v1 rivalries can be the best part of the game. And if it's a serious practice, why aren't they doing private battles or squads?

sammich

Inkling Cadet

i wanted to, but the one consistently on the enemy team was an offense up splatterscope vs my squiffer, and the stages were piranha and mahi mahi

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Wow, people love to ruin such a good game. Like other have stated when my friends join me, it's usually no mercy. I like to test my abilities against them especially if they are higher level than me. Plus, there's actually only one person I play Splatoon with while talking over Skype. I still show him no mercy for his screams of pain from being sniped by me gives me so much pleasure. They're some times when some of my other Splatoon friends join a match with me and we end up just goofing around. I would love to simply invite them to a private match, but I lack the coincidence to message them. I know, I'm pathetic....... If you really need a friend to cheat for you for just Turf Wars, there is clearly something wrong with you. That's not why Nintendo gave us the option to join friends.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I dunno... there were definitely clan players in the lobby earlier (B*Falcon, B*Osprey, B*Finch), and they definitely kicked mine ***. But I didn't see anything to indicate any shenanigans going on. (Unless one person doing amazingly in one round and not-so-a amazingly in the next one counts as such.)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Eugh, Rockenberg. That's disgusting. I don't care if people play great or poorly, but I want people in my matches to PLAY THE GAME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom