• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ver 2.2.0 new meta

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
So this Tuesday October 20th a new patch is coming out to balance the weapons. Finally the nerfs of e-liters, splash walls, Krakens, and many other things have come to change the meta. So, what will the new meta be? Will it be filled with squelchers and splat chargers? N zaps? Still 2 Splash walls per team? Let me know what you think the ideal team composition will become. Personally, I think it will be something along the line of:

One squelcher(dual?) or forge pro
One splatterscope
One gal (.96?)
Any other weapon here(Nzap, tentatek, nozzelnose maybe?)

Feel free to discuss your own thoughts.

Patch notes: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/assets/media/splatoon-patch-v2-2-0-notes.pdf

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I honestly don't think much will change. Walls will still be used, even if less effective. Krakens will still be used, even if less effective. Inkzooka will still be used, even if less effective. These still seem to be the best sub and specials out there, even if they've been nerfed. I think the meta will still be long ranged with splash walls.

If anything I think killer wails might be more common. Maybe even gimmicky builds where four wails are used at the same time.

Only time will tell.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
- More shorter range chargers will be used
- E-liter to be still popular but might require different tactics/clothing pieces.
- Good Luna blaster players will still dominate certain TC maps, bad aim will be punished
- Dynamos would still be godly in certain Splatzones but won't see much use in other modes
- Weapons that are getting buffed might see more usage
- Krakens might be nerfed too heavily to remain popular

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
How exactly is the E-Liter nerfed when it still has the largest range of any charger and the ability to play a burst bomb game? You have to charge your shots longer, but that doesn't really nerf the weapon because chargers weren't even designed to kill before a full shot in the first place.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
How exactly is the E-Liter nerfed when it still has the largest range of any charger and the ability to play a burst bomb game? You have to charge your shots longer, but that doesn't really nerf the weapon because chargers weren't even designed to kill before a full shot in the first place.
The E-Liter 3K could splat enemies with about 3/4 of a charge (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's supposed downside of "taking longer to be able to take down someone" wasn't really there. Basically, now they will have the significat downtime we were made belive they had, allowing others to get closer and take them out instead of dying before getting the final shot in

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
elitre will be played the way I play it instead of like a squiffer with inkzooka range. when I'm on my game I shut down the map and make it impossible for the other team to use a large area of the map so don't think the elitre is going anywhere anytime soon. nikey plays a similar style in tournaments, and you all saw how hard he carried exult in inkstorm (or maybe you didn't).

oh also elitre two-pieces are still definitely a thing (burst -> shot), so they're still ridiculously good close up

ds and nzap are worth using now but ttek is strong because of its kit, not because of its run speed or damage or anything like that. nzap and ds will still get their **** pushed in by the other weapons in their respective classes.

96 deco will not fall out of the meta but it will no longer be top 2 (currently I think it's 3k > 96d > cjs)

cjs may even take 96 deco's place depending on how bad the wall nerfs are

not sure what to think about blasters, suck too much with them to understand the nerfs

rollers will still be strong defensively but I'm not sure how effective they will be now that they are not reliable on dunks

long story short: I think only the longer-ranged blasters have really suffered from this. everything that's currently strong will remain strong.

I think the main thing that will change here is how echo fits into team comps. elitre was so effective with damage ups because they augmented its entire kit; dmg up burst bombs are ridiculous, dmg up elitre is annoying, and echo to make elitre shots hit first frame min charge is kind of broken. this will still be possible, but the c3k might end up being better. as a result, teams will need to find a way to put echo into their team comps (either with the nzap/ds or with the tried and tested 96 or dynamo).

Noise Tank

Full Squid
long story short: I think only the longer-ranged blasters have really suffered from this. everything that's currently strong will remain strong.
How exactly are the long range blasters suffering when the rapid blaster and rapid blaster are not only unaffected by the blaster nerf, but are also getting a buff in rof?

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
-if eliter is truly capped at 99.9 without a full charge it will fall off. Splatterscopes will be everywhere
-no more BS kills from rollers, blasters, eliters, or out of kraken
-splash walls are still strong. You will need to run 2 walls or no walls for the intimidation factor and make up for the damage increase against them
-i don't see the hype in nzap. I don't think it'll be useful
-Tentatek now actually requires you to run abilities to make it useful like other weapons. Minimum of 1 damage up, which means their movement ability will be reduced. Nice trade off for those one-hit kill weapons that got nerfed
-cjs with more movement speed will be scary. I can see 96 losing in almost all exchanges.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
-if eliter is truly capped at 99.9 without a full charge it will fall off. Splatterscopes will be everywhere
-no more BS kills from rollers, blasters, eliters, or out of kraken
-splash walls are still strong. You will need to run 2 walls or no walls for the intimidation factor and make up for the damage increase against them
-i don't see the hype in nzap. I don't think it'll be useful
-Tentatek now actually requires you to run abilities to make it useful like other weapons. Minimum of 1 damage up, which means their movement ability will be reduced. Nice trade off for those one-hit kill weapons that got nerfed
-cjs with more movement speed will be scary. I can see 96 losing in almost all exchanges.

cjs and js didn't get ms buffs. It's only ds and cds that did.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
To clarify, the Dual Squelchers are the ones getting the movement speed buff, not the Jet Squelchers. The Jet Squelchers are only getting the "decreased ink usage by ~6%" buff.

Regarding on how the upcoming balance patch will change up the meta, here's is a few of my thoughts on it.

- E-Liters will still be as viable as before, since they still have Burst Bombs for close range and the custom variant is also quite good as well.

- .96 Decos, .52 Gals, and Tteks will just be as viable as before because their kits are still great but probably less common due to the nerfs.

- For Blasters, the Luna Blaster and both the Vanilla and Custom Blasters will still be viable but I can see many using some other build rather then just stacking a ton of damage ups (for example, my Luna build is mainly max swim speed with stealth jump, and I've seen others going for special saver/charge ups for the Custom Blaster). I can also see the Rapid Blaster (well more so the Deco version then the vanilla one) getting more use due to the buffs.

- I can see the N-Zap 85 and the Dual Squelchers getting fare more use then before. I think the movement speed buff will make a difference, but I could be wrong.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I also think the Dual Squelcher will see more play. I know some teams ran a .96 and .96 deco combo and I think the DS can fit where the .96 spot would be. I don't think the NZaps will see play though. The squelchers have more range which fits the meta better.

The CJS was awesome already, now with more in the tank I think it will be used more. Maybe instead of the .96 deco on some squad loadouts because of the wall nerf.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
How exactly are the long range blasters suffering when the rapid blaster and rapid blaster are not only unaffected by the blaster nerf, but are also getting a buff in rof?
meaning range blaster and reg blaster since it's harder to direct hit with them

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Regarding E-Liter, I don't think it will fall off at all. It is still def best charger. It still has the longest range in the game and all that is really needed is a new playstyle for it. I think tentatek/octoshot will still be used plently because of the kit it has. Sure NZap may be more common or useful than before, but..

:suctionbomb::inkzooka:

I think the speed buff for DS will be pretty big and it will be used a lot more often.
Walls will still be used for a while probably, but I think tentatek/octoshot will be able to kinda **** on them
Im not really sure how I feel about blasters, the range ones are kinda screwed in a lot of cases but I think luna will still be p damn good

Sorin

Inkling
I think E-liter will be played as much as before but with the echo instead of kraken because it's too good. For the gals, we need to wait to see how much walls were affected by the nerf. I think (and hope) that tentatek will be able to rekt gals users (ridiculous damage nerf). Nzap won't be played, even with the speed buff, it still needs 4 shots to kill which is way too much when you can play a tentatek with a better kit. And DS will probably be slightly more played.
Right now, I'm pretty sure that cold-blooded will be way more use in this new meta.

Admiral Ackbar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ILYAdmiralAckbar
At first I doubt there will be a lot of change. I want to do some tests and record my results:
record things I currently do with rollers and then try to reenact them after the update.
I'll be using the krak-on and carbon roller. If any of them seem much worse in these scenarios then I may change the way I play a bit or I might change my main altogether, but not for WEEKS of lieing to myself that rollers are still great.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
From the look of things, it just seems like currently effective/popular weapons now will just be less effective but nowhere near the unviable category and see less use in tournament settings. Overall, I think it is a good patch but I'm gonna wait until the patch to make up my whole judement though.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Oh god if this is true, then what's the point of having Damage Ups on chargers anymore? It literally does nothing anymore except for subs. I'd imagine the choice between 'Scope/E-Liter would depend on the map now but that still doesn't change that the E-Liter kits are superior.

I'm kind of wondering what you all are thinking about the buffs on the H3? It has a very good kit and now that it's getting a inking buff it'll be able to charge Echo faster. The range buff sounds nice but i'd imagine it'd only work on stationary targets what with it's horrible RoF.

Box

Pro Squid
Custom Dual Squelcher seems like a big winner in this update. I was already starting to get into it before but now I think it could actually be a high tier.

I don't think the rapid blaster actually got a rate of fire increase. I think it has faster firing from squid form and shorter time before recovering ink. Then again, it was already the best blaster.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
meaning range blaster and reg blaster since it's harder to direct hit with them
Well even with the patch, "longer range" blasters just aren't going to be getting the cheap kills that they've been getting. Those ohko's happens, but they're too uncommon for it to matter post-patch.

On the other hand, there's a ridiculous amount of undeserved kills from rollers, that aren't going to happen anymore. I agree that these are all small changes in the long run, but rollers are easily the most affected by the patch. We don't even what exactly the new damage calculation for repeated flicks are about still.
shorter time before recovering ink.
I looked into it. and it looks like they meant the recovery time for movement after firing was increased. Should have known an increase in rof was too good to be true lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom