• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"War on Christmas" Starbucks changes cups for the Holidays

Do you like the new look for the Holiday Cups?

• No, they make Christmas look bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
According to recent reports, religious groups have been in a tizzy today over the choice of design of the Starbucks cups for the Holidays. Starbucks plan on doing all red cups, with a white lid, and the Starbucks logo. I don't have any problem with it but it seems everyone else wants to say that Starbucks is declaring "War on Christmas".

This is a screen cap of the aforementioned cups.
What do you think about this? Do you agree with the religious groups or do you agree with Starbucks' decision?

Last edited:

Wonder Blue

Inkling
NNID
Otasira
Religious groups have been 99.9% strange with their choices.
My only guess (as I have no interest in pursuing it) is that the color red is EVIL! Wooooooh~
Either way, it's just a color. Candy canes are red and white yet no one claimed them to be a war on Christmas.
Maybe it's just religion nuts craving media attention but who knows?

I don't really have the chances to go to Starbucks but when I do, the color of my cup is hardly the first thing on my mind. I just want my coffee!

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
The media makes the biggest deal of the most pointless ****. Religious groups are among the most moronic that I've seen. I see the cups as Santa Claus themed. Why the **** is that "War on Christmas"? Does red make you fools scared? I think the cups are cute. They're making a big deal out of nothing.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
The media makes the biggest deal of the most pointless ****. Religious groups are among the most moronic that I've seen. I see the cups as Santa Claus themed. Why the **** is that "War on Christmas"? Does red make you fools scared? I think the cups are cute. They're making a big deal out of nothing.
I agree with you. It's pathetic that they would trivialize cups. The big reason though is that these new ones are to replace the cups that have the pine tree and snow flakes on them. They were more winter themed cups and religious groups thought this blasphemy against Christmas when they were replaced with the new Red cups. They even go as far as calling staff of Starbucks, 'scrooges'.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
it literally is just a red cup
people are getting upset over a bland carton red cup

Like, it could be just a cost-effective option of not having a elaborate design placed on top of it. It's not showy, but it works. People get upset over everything these days. I really wish people would just shut up and learn how to deal with things that at best should mildly upset them.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
We're in a day and age where someone somewhere is getting offended by something on a near daily basis. Everyone is offended by something and because they feel offended they feel it is therefore their right to speak out against it. . . Even if the subject they are taking offense to has absolutely nothing to do with whatever they feel so strongly about. . .
The best part about it is, Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday. It began as a Pagan holiday that I will let you look into if you feel so inclined, Saturnalia if anyone is interested. All they did was say "Jesus was born on this day (which he wasn't), and by the way, we want the gift-giving part, you can keep the other less than stellar 3/4 of the celebration" and ran with it. It's insane how little people actually know about the book they so lovingly and blindly follow.

D

Deleted Member

I don't drink coffee, but that is a really cool color scheme. Reminds me of candy canes and puts me in the Christmas spirit. :p

That being said, I largely agree with what has already been discussed in this thread. People actively try to find opportunities to become offended at the most trivial and mundane things to show how morally righteous they are.

Ayasha89

Full Squid
NNID
Ayasha89
Red Solo cups have been around for years, but a franchise does it, and they lose their minds. The more they do this crap, the more I and many more will further ourselves from it. It's a self fufillng prohecy. They want more and more members, but act crazy and idiotic and judgmental. You are losing potential members and chasing some current ones away.

I celebrate the holiday out of respect for family, and the colors are beautiful. Snow is beautiful. The spirit of it all is beautiful, but they are bringing hatred over a stupid cup.

Last edited:

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I don't drink coffee, but that is a really cool color scheme. Reminds me of candy canes and puts me in the Christmas spirit. :p

That being said, I largely agree with what has already been discussed in this thread. People actively try to find opportunities to become offended at the most trivial and mundane things to show how morally righteous they are.
Which proves a point that what is going on with this is mundane and stupid. Even if you don't drink coffee and still agree that it's stupid, proves that these Religious Groups have no ground to complain. I don't personally like talking about what religious groups do, but this is one of those things were I laughed and facepalmed. The level of stupid here is so high that I think I may of lost brain cells reading their excuses for bashing the new cups. I'm not a fan of Starbucks but you will not see me bashing the company and it's workers.

Red Solo cups have been around for years, but a franchise does it, and they lose their minds. The more they do this crao, the more I and many more will further ourselves from it. It's a self fufillng prohecy They want more and more members, but act crazy and idiotic and judgmental. You are losing potential members and chasing some current ones away.

I celebrate the holiday out of respect for family, and the colors are beautiful. Snow is beautiful. The spirit of it all is beautiful, but they are bringing hatred over a stupid cup.
Firstly, love the use of the Dark Knight Joker meme here.

Secondly, I agree whole heartily. All it's serving to do is destroying business that hurts the workers more than the company itself. Though the company can just rebuild from what is lost. So it is a self fulfilling as well as self defeating. I too enjoy the holiday for family togetherness and for it's time of peace in a world of hate. Though a lot obsess too far about the holiday, which also needs to be avoided. Live and let live. Not live and bash all who oppose your opinions.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Buuuutttt on the other hand I think the people complaining about the people complaining is just as weak. *shrugs*
I've always loved statements like these. They're so amazingly passive aggressive. We aren't "complaining". Since when did pointing out the idiotic aspect of a group become "complaining"? Is telling someone their argument is stupid a complaint? Or is it someone pointing out a flaw in the logic used? People aren't "complaining" they are hoping to prove how absolutely stupid these people that believe this is an attack on Christmas are.

There's a huge difference between the two.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Hmm... I want to be careful about how and what I post here. I'm Christian, I believe in Jesus Christ, his virgin birth, sinless life, death and rebirth. I don't consider myself very religious. Jesus taught us this idea of "religion" is a bad practice, It's just going through the motions without think about the purpose behind it. Christmas is, at least in my opinion a perfect example of a "religious" holiday. It is never once mentioned in the bible, or decorated trees or wreaths or green red and white as a mandatory color scheme. Santa is not a person from the bible. And while I'm sure a lot of these ideas DID have very real meaning, and good intention they have become just things we do.
So I personally could careless about what color a cup is, that has nothing to do with faith in Christ.
But even if it did as Americans we have freedom of religious choice and freedom of speech. It is WELL within Starbucks' right to make that choice anyway. It does frustrates me however that the vocal minority becomes how everyone thinks of Christians.

However that said, the flip of that really frustrates me too. There are just as many what I'll call "Anti-religious" groups that force faith based ideology out of everything they can because they find those ideas offensive. That kind of double standard bothers me too. There are certain places in america where my child would get in trouble for praying in school, that blows my mind!

I could talk about God, faith, and religion for years, so if you have any questions I'll definitely entertain them privately since I think anymore here, I feel, would kind of gets off topic. But I felt like I'd be doing Christians like myself a disservice if I didn't type out some kind of response to this thread.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Well, I highly doubt the school would kick your kid out of class for praying. Now, if they refused to do something because they were, or forcing other children to follow suit it's a different story. Also, the same can be said for the small minority of people that "force religion out of things". As an atheist I will not impose my lack of belief on anyone else. I will speak my mind on the matter, but I will not go about forcing it upon people. Like if someone came into my court house and I denied them a marriage license because they are Muslim. Or forced Chick Fil A to write Darwin was right on my Sandwich box. I and most level headed Atheists would not do that. A vast majority of us will keep our mouths shut in most religious discussions because 9 times out of 10 it just becomes emotion on one side and deaf statements on the other.

Point is, no one should ever force their ideology on another regardless of what that ideology is. And that is the problem with this new movement I'm seeing. Taking away from what America stands for and trying to make it about one small group. It's tiresome.

This new wave of participation medal enthusiasts has gotten out of hand, and it will likely only get worse with the way everything is going. Which is why I'm looking into moving to Canada after I get out of the military. America is on a swift downward slope. I see no signs of plateau-ing anytime soon.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
But what about the cheap plastic cups that are red with white on the inside? It's just a cup, nothing more nothing less. If these particular Christians don't want to go to Starbucks for coffee because of the cups, oh well. Buy it from Dunkin Donuts/a convenience store/ or just make it at home lol.

This "political correctness" movement throughout 2015 is so trivial.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Point is, no one should ever force their ideology on another regardless of what that ideology is. And that is the problem with this new movement I'm seeing. Taking away from what America stands for and trying to make it about one small group. It's tiresome.
As Senator Barry Goldwater said:

"On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.
I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?
And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

People confused political and fiscal conservativism with social and moral conservativism, and now what was once a political ideology emphasizing minimal government involvement in the daily lives of citizens has morphed into the moral police. Can't we all be Buddhists? That way everyone wins.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
What if I told you that Christ has nothing to do with Christmas? If he was, these religious groups should be enacting their rage on...pretty much every corporation, because they make Satan Claus the face of Christmas over Christ anyway. Lol. I say let the pagans have their nimrodic festivity. What does Starbucks care anyway? Their logo is an upside down Baphomet, forget colors. Rofl

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
America is on a swift downward slope. I see no signs of plateau-ing anytime soon.
...now I dunno about that. Maybe I'm too optimistic or something, but when you hear about stuff like these, it's more likely than not just a minority making a big deal out of nothing. Most of the reactions I've seen about this are ones of disbelief. I think most people realize this is a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom