• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Warcraft Social

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
There are a variety of social threads here already, and I recall seeing a few people mentioning Warcraft, so I thought I should make a thread for it already. I was tempted to go for a Blizzard social thread, but there's already a Hearthstone one so perhaps it's better to keep them separated.

If you've played any of the Warcraft RTS games and/or World of Warcraft, this is the place for you. Discuss the Warcraft games, the current WoW expansion or previous ones, where you think the series will head next, or even your history of Warcraft.

Here's my experience with Warcraft. I ended up typing a lot more than I expected, so I've put it in a spoiler to not stretch the page out. Hopefully you guys will still read it!

As of typing this thread, I've only played the first Warcraft game and WoW. I was pretty young when I played Warcraft so I was awful at it, but still had fun with it anyway. I played WoW during The Burning Crusade but my computer could barely run the game at all so I didn't level very far. Wrath of the Lich King came along but I still had my PC so I didn't buy it. Instead, I used the 7 free days of expansion time offered to me every now and then to just check the game out. It wasn't until a few weeks after Cataclysm launched that I got a new PC and began playing almost daily and I loved it. I was able to play the game with decent settings and keep a pretty consistent framerate going. I loved the Heroics when I got to max level, and it was fun seeing a lot of the TBC and Wrath content I had missed. Shame I couldn't really see the old Vanilla content because Cataclysm changed it. I made a few friends and found out that Blizzard had actually increased the difficulty and people were complaining about HCs. I honestly didn't find it a problem. I enjoyed the strategies needed to down certain mobs and bosses and I had a great time. Unfortunately for me, the guild I joined was already starting to fall apart so I never got a chance to raid before the nerfs came by, and after that it was difficult finding a good raiding guild on my server. The ZA/ZG revamps came out and I enjoyed them, but it didn't fix the guild situation. Firelands came out but still no real raiding, and pretty much stayed that way through the expansion so I got more into collecting mounts and whatnot for the rest of Cataclysm.

Mists of Pandaria released and I played for a couple of weeks, but got bored. Came back for a month after the first patch, got bored again and didn't come back until Siege of Orgrimmar released, but even then it was several months afterwards. I caught up on some quests I missed, I grinded dailies to get reps to Exalted. I decided to just go for LFR on some of the raids, and I hated Heart of Fear with a passion. Terrace of Endless Springs was pretty cool to me though. I only beat the first wing of Throne of Thunder, at which points my friends told me to go to Siege of Orgrimmar, but I never finished every wing of that either. Those two raids felt a little dull to me. I'm disappointed I didn't finish them, but most people in the LFR groups were toxic or totally clueless on what to do and it wasn't very fun when it took a very long time to clear the bosses just because of those reasons. I played almost daily again when Warlords of Draenor was released and it was great fun getting to 100. I loved the questing experience and the dungeons were great. I actually didn't bother with many dungeons in MoP at all. Unfortunately for me, a lot of my friends had quit playing WoW by the time MoP came out. A few of them did buy WoD and tried playing for a while, but it wasn't the same. Not only that, but my realm felt even more dead than ever and finding a guild that was even active enough to be social was pretty difficult. I lost most of my thirst for raiding in MoP anyway, so without really knowing what to do on WoW, I cancelled my subscription in January of this year and haven't played since.

Just as a few more details, I play a Blood Elf Rogue on Kilrogg (EU). I know a lot of people look down on Blood Elves but honestly I love their lore and that's why I keep playing them. I originally chose the Blood Elf way back in TBC just because my friends played Horde and I just happened to choose them. Nowadays I just don't want to pay money to change my race, and with transmog in the game, the Blood Elf males have good body proportions to make most transmog sets look great. :P

I actually really love the lore of the Warcraft universe as a whole. Every time I talk about the lore, read about it, hear about it, or anything, it makes me want to play WoW again but then I run into the problem of wondering what to do in the game. My server is pretty dead and it's hard to find a good guild, and most of my friends don't play anymore, so I usually just try to convince myself that I should attempt to enjoy the lore without paying and not playing.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Me and my friends started playing Warcraft 3 a few months ago (including the Expansion). We played through the dungeon-crawler gametype which was a lot of fun, as well as some other custom game types.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Me and my friends started playing Warcraft 3 a few months ago (including the Expansion). We played through the dungeon-crawler gametype which was a lot of fun, as well as some other custom game types.
It looks like a whole lot of fun. I've seen gameplay of most of the campaigns from Warcraft 3. To be honest I don't know why I won't just buy it but hey. It'd be more fun to play it myself but still. I think it's a good idea to play through it with some friends as you did. I'd really like to see a Warcraft 4 but I doubt that'll happen with WoW still going strong.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I watched my friend play Warcraft or Warcraft 2, don't remember which one, in the 90s. I just remember thinking the whole "My liege, my liege, why do you keep poking me?", "Stop poking me!" stuff was hilarious when he clicked on a guy a bunch of times. In WoW I recall there being some orc NPCs, that if you clicked them enough, they'd say "Stop poking me!" which was a nice little throwback. I played WoW on and off from 2006 to 2009. I started about a year after launch, so we'll say "late-vanilla" and played TBC and WotLK a bit.

I was never great at dungeons or raiding, but I did join a mediocre guild pre-TBC and we got through MC and to the first couple guys in BWL. Didn't raid in TBC or WotLK, but I always enjoyed the quests, lore, battlegrounds, and world. At a couple points before arenas were a big thing, I got my warrior decked out in the top pvp gear, but since I wasn't that great I would have never fared nearly as well in arenas. Tried them a few times and sucked massively.

My old warrior, which was my favorite, still exists. Someone I gave it to ended up giving it or selling it to someone else, and last I saw, whoever is playing the toon had it ranked pretty well in pvp.

There are times when I think I'd really like to play WoW again or just get an urge wishing I could (briefly tried the trial version for a bit last year), but I know it wouldn't be the same. I played Rift for a bit on and off the past few years to satisfy the craving for a similar game, but got too addicted to Rift and burned out. It's pretty flawed and unbalanced anyway, but a "fun playground" as some call it, with a much more customizable and fluid class system.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I watched my friend play Warcraft or Warcraft 2, don't remember which one, in the 90s. I just remember thinking the whole "My liege, my liege, why do you keep poking me?", "Stop poking me!" stuff was hilarious when he clicked on a guy a bunch of times. In WoW I recall there being some orc NPCs, that if you clicked them enough, they'd say "Stop poking me!" which was a nice little throwback.
Yeah, almost every NPC in WoW with multiple lines will start complaining if you click them too often. One of the many quirks of WoW that makes me love it. :P

Lore and mounts are probably the two biggest reasons I kept playing. I usually love reading quest text. Sometimes I would skip over it because I didn't enjoy the quests and thus didn't care too much for the lore, but still! I never really got into PvP to be honest. I tried it but it was felt very frustrating to me. It wasn't very fun while levelling and at max level, you needed to have PvP gear if you wanted to be successful at all, so it just didn't work out in the end.

I've played Guild Wars 2 and a couple of other MMOs since then, but honestly it is pretty difficult trying to play those games all alone. Having friends that were already playing made it much easier to play WoW in the beginning. Maybe I'll go back to it, but I'm not sure. Warlords was a step in the right direct, that much is for sure.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I've only played Warcraft III and it's expansion, but when I started playing the HOTS beta I felt nostalgic when I saw the guys from WCIII. WoW's gameplay doesn't interest me but I look up what's happened in it lore wise sometimes, and I keep on hearing bad things about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom