• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

[waves tentacle]

Lycanthro

Inkling
Hello hello! I thought I'd see what forums were about!

I've been playing splatoon since release day (or even before that, if you count playing a beta build at a convention!) happy to be here. I'm a trainee marine biologist and professional artist!

IsaOfTheWorlds

Inkling
NNID
Hero
Switch Friend Code
SW-8421-5196-2232
Welcome! SquidBoards seems a little dead, so I'm hoping it picks up sometime!

As a trainee marine biologist, how scientifically accurate is Splatoon?

Lycanthro

Inkling
Thank you, thank you!
Happy to report that it is scarily accurate. Squid lab has worked with outstanding marine biologists such as JAMSTEC - and it really shows!

It goes as deep as Octopuses in the world of Splatoon showing major variants between the two suborders! There are two suborders of the genus Octopoda - cirrates, and incirrates! Cirrates have fins, amongst a few other small differences.
Octolings are incirrates, as they don't have fins and take after the common octopus.
Raian, the guitarist from ABXY/Chirpy chips is an Opisthoteuthis - a genus of cirrates, from the other suborder of Octopoda!

Just little things like that, that really make a difference. :)

Cephalobro

It's great to have another trainee biologist joining. Welcome!

The Octarians also have something interesting as they are also based on the fact that the octopus brain is actually spread throughout its body, thus leading to the tentacles moving even after separated from the main octopus body.

Lycanthro

Inkling
Aye, it's fascinating! Glad to know there's other trainee marine biologists in the midst :)

I've got an offer to get my qualification studying Cephalopods on the British Channel, exciting stuff! I was so excited when Splatoon was announced. Cephalopods are some of my favourites, i was more than happy to see squid games become much less niche! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom