• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weapon Strategy Types WIP

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Sup fellow squids, I have been playing Splatoon for some time and could not help to notice how some weapons play certain strategies better than others. Also, some weapons are very similar to other weapons in play style than other weapons. I have made an attempt to categorize all of the weapons currently out in Splatoon into 6 strategy types. These strategy types represent in my opinion the best kind of strategy for each weapon to play in. Now note that it is true that many weapons can play other of these strategy types as well, but I wanted to classify them into the strategies I thought would be the most fruitful of them to be in.

The link to the google doc with more information can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18RTyTPM6GbE3yRDkYNCttkUy320AMyjzZEnqe7IGo5U/edit?usp=sharing

I would love to here your thoughts on this in the comments here. Tell me if you disagree with a certain weapon being in a certain type, because I may change them latter depending on what you think. If you have any questions also comment bellow.

The Claw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mariomario494949
You're pretty right about the Gold Dynamo Roller. I might have put .96 Gal on Killing Front. Other then that it seems like a pretty good strategy chart :)

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I like the turfing ones (I heart my N-Zap... and Aerospray) because I always have the strategy to ink the most turf and not to kill per se?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I think Squiffer should be in Killing Front, because it basically is an Assassin if they know how to 'snap' snipe, and I usually go to the front lines as a Squffer. Otherwise, this is pretty accurate.

KarubanBeika

Inkling
NNID
KarubanBeika
Really love this. Very nice job classifying weapons along with the titling of the strategy type. :D +1

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Excellent! I love how this balances the weapons into general niches, the way it's supposed to be! Do you think there could be something that specifies each individual weapon's niche, and maybe of the individual subs and specials too?

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Excellent! I love how this balances the weapons into general niches, the way it's supposed to be! Do you think there could be something that specifies each individual weapon's niche, and maybe of the individual subs and specials too?
As a matter of fact, I had a second small part at the end of the doc that puts the subs into these categories as well. How I mainly put these weapons into the categories are by four factors:

1. The inherent attributes of the weapon (what type of weapon it is and the strengths/weaknesses of being that weapon type)
  2. Its stats
  3. It sub weapon and how it works in conjunction to it to either compensate for its weaknesses, enhance its strengths, and/or that makes its job easier.
  4. Personal Battling experience and experiments

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
As a matter of fact, I had a second small part at the end of the doc that puts the subs into these categories as well. How I mainly put these weapons into the categories are by four factors:

1. The inherent attributes of the weapon (what type of weapon it is and the strengths/weaknesses of being that weapon type)
  2. Its stats
  3. It sub weapon and how it works in conjunction to it to either compensate for its weaknesses, enhance its strengths, and/or that makes its job easier.
  4. Personal Battling experience and experiments

I see! And yes, I think that 0.96 Gal. and New Squiffer should be in Killing Front. They'll place their subs for securing the back and then go in front with their mains and specials. Maybe even camp on a small elevated area in the New Squiffer's case, such as the ledge over the Port Mackerel zones.

Last edited:

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I see! And yes, I think that 0.96 Gal. and New Squiffer should be in Killing Front. They'll place their subs for securing the back and then go in front with their mains ans specials. Maybe even camp on a small elevated area in the New Squiffer's case, such as the ledge over the Port Mackerel zones.
Yeah, I have just moved them to killing front for the time being and I am also considering moving N-Zap 85 to Turfing Front. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I am predicting H-3 Nozzlenose to be either a killing front or an assassin (due to its cool down time being 20 frames before it can shoot again)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yeah, I have just moved them to killing front for the time being and I am also considering moving N-Zap 85 to Turfing Front. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I am predicting H-3 Nozzlenose to be either a killing front or an assassin (due to its cool down time being 20 frames before it can shoot again)
Probably. Depends on how Suction Bomb+Echolocator plays out. Also I have a suggestion of moving Custom Dual Squelcher to Assassin.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Probably. Depends on how Suction Bomb+Echolocator plays out. Also I have a suggestion of moving Custom Dual Squelcher to Assassin.
I thought about that once, but the thing is the reason why did not put that weapon there was ultimately it did not need subtlety to get its daily kills. Unlike the other weapons in the assassin category, it it perfectly happy being out in the open. Sure it may have a large mobility factor due to squid beakons, but this does not mean that it is an assassin. It is also not its most fruitful strategy (at least I think so). Being more of a passive back (due to it desiring to maximize its range) and a lack of sub weapon to help stave of opponents seems far more of a fitting category in my mind.

Now, my initial impressions with the H-3 Nozzlenose is that it is either a passive back or an assassin; but more tests with it will need to be conducted with it for more information.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I agree with your placement of the rapid blaster. I think it has the ability to move into a more offensive playstyle if you have the right abilities (just damage lmao) and the technical accuracy, though I think it does get outclassed by a few things in THAT category. I'm interested in what you think the rb pro's strengths and weaknesses will be.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
H-3 Nozzlenose is definitely an assassin. That weapon is built for the patient hunter of sneeky cheeky scrubs. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah I've been meaning to mention this; change Splash-o-Matic Neo to Neo Splash-o-Matic. It's only the Luna Blaster Neo that has the "Neo" on the end of its name; both Neo O-Matics have it on the front (the NSoOM too).

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I agree with your placement of the rapid blaster. I think it has the ability to move into a more offensive playstyle if you have the right abilities (just damage lmao) and the technical accuracy, though I think it does get outclassed by a few things in THAT category. I'm interested in what you think the rb pro's strengths and weaknesses will be.
Before I go into detail about the rapid blaster pro, let me list some facts about it:
  • Its sub and special weapons are seekers and Inkzooka
  • Its range is greater than that of Dual Squelcher, .96 Gal, and Splattershot pro
  • This range is MIGHT be equal to that of Squiffer and the Heavy Splatling, or even greater shockingly
  • Its fire rate is equal to that of Luna Blaster
  • Its damage and explosion size are equal to that of the normal rapid blaster, at the cost of worse ink efficiency and slower movement speed.
Like Rapid blaster, Pro will obviously have the weakness of being horrid in close range situations and will have low amounts of damage compared to the other blasters. However, it will have a beautiful amount of range. That said, the combination of a longer range will lower fire rate will mean that you must have an amazing amount of leading skill (predicting the opponents movement path and aiming ahead of it, a basic skill of blaster use) to use this weapon effectively. What makes this weapon shine really is the combination of seekers with it along with the Inkzooka. Seekers will effectively force your opponent to change their movement and not just rush at you guns a-blazing. This will allow you to properly lead on your opponent, getting you the kill. If need be, the Inkzooka will act as your emergency one-shot cannon to get rid of opponents who get too close.

Overall, this weapon will definitely be categorized as either an Active Back, or even a mid possibly.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Before I go into detail about the rapid blaster pro, let me list some facts about it:
  • Its sub and special weapons are seekers and Inkzooka
  • Its range is greater than that of Dual Squelcher, .96 Gal, and Splattershot pro
  • This range is MIGHT be equal to that of Squiffer and the Heavy Splatling, or even greater shockingly
  • Its fire rate is equal to that of Luna Blaster
  • Its damage and explosion size are equal to that of the normal rapid blaster, at the cost of worse ink efficiency and slower movement speed.
Like Rapid blaster, Pro will obviously have the weakness of being horrid in close range situations and will have low amounts of damage compared to the other blasters. However, it will have a beautiful amount of range. That said, the combination of a longer range will lower fire rate will mean that you must have an amazing amount of leading skill (predicting the opponents movement path and aiming ahead of it, a basic skill of blaster use) to use this weapon effectively. What makes this weapon shine really is the combination of seekers with it along with the Inkzooka. Seekers will effectively force your opponent to change their movement and not just rush at you guns a-blazing. This will allow you to properly lead on your opponent, getting you the kill. If need be, the Inkzooka will act as your emergency one-shot cannon to get rid of opponents who get too close.

Overall, this weapon will definitely be categorized as either an Active Back, or even a mid possibly.
So the only thing that's going to outrange you is a charger or js? It's a shame it's the same damage, I guess I can keep stacking damage up. Do you think the seekers will be able to serve as a last resort melee attack? I don't know much about seekers so maybe this just needs to be tested. .52, and aeros don't really need that utility but I think it'd really help with the rbp, if there's a consistent way to do that. Although it might be problem considering how much ink those things cost, and I can barely ever get a mine out with the ink inefficient rb...

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
So the only thing that's going to outrange you is a charger or js? It's a shame it's the same damage, I guess I can keep stacking damage up. Do you think the seekers will be able to serve as a last resort melee attack? I don't know much about seekers so maybe this just needs to be tested. .52, and aeros don't really need that utility but I think it'd really help with the rbp, if there's a consistent way to do that. Although it might be problem considering how much ink those things cost, and I can barely ever get a mine out with the ink inefficient rb...
Damage up is not necessarily needed for the rapid blaster pro. It is Ink Saver sub that is needed to reduce the cost of the seekers ink consumption. Ink saver main is also recommended. In essence, you want an ink saving set for this weapon. The damage ups can be added latter. Also take the range that I am saying with a grain of salt. All I know is that its range is definitely greater than that of the longer ranged shooters and that its range is approaching that of the Heavy Splatling/Squiffer (which is 4 lines btw, while the long ranged shooters have a range of 3.3 lines).

On the subject of seeker use, no, you cannot use them as an effective emergency melee weapon. What you can use it as however is an escape AND approach option. As an escape option, the user could throw it towards the opponent, forcing them to move away and outside their effective range and into RB Pro's range. They will probably try to hide undercover in an attempt to dodge the seeker. Because the weapon itself is a blaster, you can hit them while they try to run and hide behind a corner. To get to their location, you will probably take advantage of the ink trail the seeker leaves.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Damage up is not necessarily needed for the rapid blaster pro. It is Ink Saver sub that is needed to reduce the cost of the seekers ink consumption. Ink saver main is also recommended. In essence, you want an ink saving set for this weapon. The damage ups can be added latter. Also take the range that I am saying with a grain of salt. All I know is that its range is definitely greater than that of the longer ranged shooters and that its range is approaching that of the Heavy Splatling/Squiffer (which is 4 lines btw, while the long ranged shooters have a range of 3.3 lines).

On the subject of seeker use, no, you cannot use them as an effective emergency melee weapon. What you can use it as however is an escape AND approach option. As an escape option, the user could throw it towards the opponent, forcing them to move away and outside their effective range and into RB Pro's range. They will probably try to hide undercover in an attempt to dodge the seeker. Because the weapon itself is a blaster, you can hit them while they try to run and hide behind a corner. To get to their location, you will probably take advantage of the ink trail the seeker leaves.
If it's got the same damage as the regular rb I don't see it being viable w/o damage up especially since the fire rate got lower. 4 indirect hits at luna blaster speed seems really poor. heck you could probably splatterhop out of the range in the time it takes to kill like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom