• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weapon Viability Post Inkstorm

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Now that Inkstorm is mostly finished, and the Western Community was exposed to the dominant Japanese Community, do you have any changes of opinions regarding increased weapon viability in Splatoon? For instance, rollers and blasters are generally frowned upon in the Western Community, but several Japanese teams displayed excellent skill with the aforementioned weapons, arguably better than how Westerners performed with what we deem the best weapons.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
rollers and blasters aren't frowned upon by any means, rollers are just used incorrectly. people try and use them as offensive, flanking weapons, but they're clearly neither designed for this nor effective in this capacity. as for blasters, I do think we underrated them more than somewhat (though many teams in this tournament did end up using them anyway, us included).

I think the key takeaway here is how much the 96 Deco underperformed. with japanese teams actually playing their weapons properly, 96s were rarely able to establish the map control that they're used to having. It's still unquestionably a top tier weapon, but its flaws were definitely demonstrated in the matches this weekend.

Also, it's nice to see UK_Taiji playing Tentatek the way it was played three months ago when ttek vs 52 was a thing and people being amazed at how effective suction bombs are :)

I'll do a more detailed write-up later, maybe, since there's a lot to take away from this.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I was surprised to see Memories able to overcome Squid Box's wall stack on Saltspray TC. That gave me a little hope for the game's future, though I still have many personal issues with Splash Walls and their current implementation.

Cross ran a funky build for Blaster tower bullying in that same match, actually (he stacked swim speeds and had Stealth Jump). Players have always acknowledged Stealth Jump as an annoying perk, but most don't bother with it because of swim speed/ink resist/whatever else is more attractive. Perhaps we'll start seeing it more?

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I was surprised to see Memories able to overcome Squid Box's wall stack on Saltspray TC. That gave me a little hope for the game's future, though I still have many personal issues with Splash Walls and their current implementation.

Cross ran a funky build for Blaster tower bullying in that same match, actually (he stacked swim speeds and had Stealth Jump). Players have always acknowledged Stealth Jump as an annoying perk, but most don't bother with it because of swim speed/ink resist/whatever else is more attractive. Perhaps we'll start seeing it more?
Long before the Inkstom tournament, my go to build for the Luna Blaster was pretty much max swim speed (I have yet to try it with stealth jump though, I might try that later sounds pretty interesting) because the mobility made it significantly more easier to close the gap between me and the enemy squid and the general mobility boost is just great for getting into the front lines, escaping more easily, and etc.

I'm surprised more didn't use swim speed on blasters I guess more players are going to try that setup now due to the Inkstom tournament.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
What sounds interesting? Abusing Stealth Jump in Tower Control? Can you please elaborate?
Well I never really used Stealth Jump, and I wasn't able to see all of the Inkstorm matches because I was busy at the time so I didn't really get to see how well it was abuse in TC in a competitive match. :\

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Well I never really used Stealth Jump, and I wasn't able to see all of the Inkstorm matches because I was busy at the time so I didn't really get to see how well it was abuse in TC in a competitive match. :\
Oh, okay. I thought there was some major exploit that involves super jumping to the tower, and stealth super jump just makes it better.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Oh, okay. I thought there was some major exploit that involves super jumping to the tower, and stealth super jump just makes it better.
Nah it just lets you clear towers a lot easier, as well as flank.

Long before the Inkstom tournament, my go to build for the Luna Blaster was pretty much max swim speed (I have yet to try it with stealth jump though, I might try that later sounds pretty interesting) because the mobility made it significantly more easier to close the gap between me and the enemy squid and the general mobility boost is just great for getting into the front lines, escaping more easily, and etc.

I'm surprised more didn't use swim speed on blasters I guess more players are going to try that setup now due to the Inkstom tournament.
Yeah swim speed has always been my go-to for Luna. Not sure what else you'd run honestly, though bomb range up will be useful for the Neo.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
If its worth anything, I've been having lots of success with the Range Blaster. It has the Splash Wall, which is indisputably the best sub, and the Inkstrike, which is great to cap a zone or take over the tower. Alongside maxed out Damage Up and it's fantastic range, I think it has a place in the competitive scene.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
Im not sure if its necessarily about weapon viability anymore. At least in my eyes.

I feel like its more about optimizing mechanics for the Japanese scene especially. Not writing off weapons.

I'm personally someone who is guilty of writing off blasters in anything but tower control, but its plenty clear to me that they're more then just a free tower clear now. They bring plenty of space control and zoning in a sense to a lot of situations.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Im not sure if its necessarily about weapon viability anymore. At least in my eyes.

I feel like its more about optimizing mechanics for the Japanese scene especially. Not writing off weapons.

I'm personally someone who is guilty of writing off blasters in anything but tower control, but its plenty clear to me that they're more then just a free tower clear now. They bring plenty of space control and zoning in a sense to a lot of situations.
The Edge blasters have when it comes to zoning is that they can hit you behind obstacles and such. Also It's much easier to get hits at your max range than it would be for other shooters, and you don't exactly have to worry about rng except during jump shots. I think the longer range blasters, Range and Rapid are good counters to the infamous .96d, as long as you can be patient and use the rng and unique projectile to your advantage.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
The Edge blasters have when it comes to zoning is that they can hit you behind obstacles and such. Also It's much easier to get hits at your max range than it would be for other shooters, and you don't exactly have to worry about rng except during jump shots. I think the longer range blasters, Range and Rapid are good counters to the infamous .96d, as long as you can be patient and use the rng and unique projectile to your advantage.
I actually like the Range Blasters over the regular ones for this reason, Disruptors aside. They let you play at a safe range easier, whereas you have to play a tight spacing game to keep people from just rushing into your blind zone with the regular Blasters. Aggro Tentateks are a Blaster's nightmare.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I actually like the Range Blasters over the regular ones for this reason, Disruptors aside. They let you play at a safe range easier, whereas you have to play a tight spacing game to keep people from just rushing into your blind zone with the regular Blasters. Aggro Tentateks are a Blaster's nightmare.
I'd also say that the Range Blaster can outperform the standard Blasters then doing the "Jump, shoot, swim, repeat" strategy some Blaster users do, as the time lost between shots is minimal and you gain the extra range while keeping the damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom