• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Weirdest thing happened....

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
I was doing turf war on Camp Triggerfish, and a player from my team DC'd at the very start of the match. That's normal for this game, but then the entire opposing team DC'd too at the start. At least I thought they did until I looked at the map and saw that some turf was being inked with their color. The top of the screen showed them as being dead. It's like they were invisible to me, because I saw none of them the entire time....but the map was being inked. Ink was also being shot out from their spawn as if someone was there, but there wasn't. And at the end of the match, my remaining teammates even had a couple of kills as if they were actually playing against someone. Damn, I wish I had more space to capture it, but my video space was full at the time. The weirdest thing to ever happen to me in this game, and I couldn't record it. :(

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yup, the exact same thing happened with me. It must be a rare bug that only happens during heavy amounts of lag.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
My wife a friend and myself we're all in the same match and it lagged out. To the point that my wife and I saw that the other team had two players but my friend saw that the other team had three players.

He could interact and see 3 of them, splatting being splatted etc.

We could only see and interact with 2 of them.... but there was also this phantom ink that appeared on our maps.

Weird weird bug.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Same here, but in smaller scale, not 100% sure why it happens, but it has to be lag and Desync.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
This sort of thing happened to be when I was doing a quad with a few folks on VC. There was a sploosh and a clash who appeared to DC on the enemy team. However, I could still see the blasts from the clash blaster and people getting killed by it? I asked and they said the sploosh DCed, but not the clash blaster. I don't know but it was only me where it appeared both had disconnected.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
Something like this happened to me. At the beginning of the match, it said the connection was unstable. Then everyone but me disappeared. When I looked at the map, it looked like one player on the other team was still in, because it was getting inked a little. I went looking for them. I was trying to decide whether to make it a one-on-one battle or to just squid party, since it was so weird. Before I could find the other player (after maybe 30 seconds of looking) I DC'd too. And then the game had the nerve to give me that scolding message about, "you disconnected..." Definitely not my fault.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Something like this happened to me. At the beginning of the match, it said the connection was unstable. Then everyone but me disappeared. When I looked at the map, it looked like one player on the other team was still in, because it was getting inked a little. I went looking for them. I was trying to decide whether to make it a one-on-one battle or to just squid party, since it was so weird. Before I could find the other player (after maybe 30 seconds of looking) I DC'd too. And then the game had the nerve to give me that scolding message about, "you disconnected..." Definitely not my fault.
Actually, there's a good chance that was your fault, or rather your connection's fault. Sometimes when you DC from everyone, it looks like everyone DC'ed from you. It's possible the rest of that game went on without you.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Actually, there's a good chance that was your fault, or rather your connection's fault. Sometimes when you DC from everyone, it looks like everyone DC'ed from you. It's possible the rest of that game went on without you.
Everyone has gotten the "connection unstable " message though at some point, even when their Internet is perfectly fine. Splatoon is the only game that has random connection issues for me...and ever since 3.0, DC's and server issues have gotten worse.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Sorry, let me rephrase: It might have been your connection to the other players that was disrupted, despite having a basically stable internet connection. That said:
Everyone has gotten the "connection unstable " message though at some point, even when their Internet is perfectly fine.
I've never gotten one in Splatoon 2. I used to get them in Splatoon 1 before I upgraded to a wired connection (and whoo boy, do not try playing off wifi with a baby monitor nearby). But with a wired connection to business-class internet, I've never gotten "connection unstable" and I've never dropped mid-match. I've also never seen more than two other players d/c, and even that's only happened to me maybe two or three times ever. I have gotten "your connection to the other console was lost" many times, I've gotten the full lobby that times out for not being full, and I've definitely gotten booted out of a rewards screen during Splatfest, but I've never d/c'd during a game.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
Sorry, let me rephrase: It might have been your connection to the other players that was disrupted, despite having a basically stable internet connection. That said:

I've never gotten one in Splatoon 2. I used to get them in Splatoon 1 before I upgraded to a wired connection (and whoo boy, do not try playing off wifi with a baby monitor nearby). But with a wired connection to business-class internet, I've never gotten "connection unstable" and I've never dropped mid-match. I've also never seen more than two other players d/c, and even that's only happened to me maybe two or three times ever. I have gotten "your connection to the other console was lost" many times, I've gotten the full lobby that times out for not being full, and I've definitely gotten booted out of a rewards screen during Splatfest, but I've never d/c'd during a game.
Yeah, I'm on wifi, for sure. I'd have to run cable up from the basement otherwise. Do you get less lag that way? I can't really prove it, but I feel like I'd win a few more of my matches if I could totally eliminate lag.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Yeah, wifi is inherently unreliable. You're always going to get at least a small amount of packet loss between your console and the router even in the best of conditions (and unless your console is right next to the router, with no EM interference from any electronic devices anywhere remotely nearby, you don't have the best of conditions). In a TCP application, like web browsing, it's not often a huge deal because the lost packets will get retransmitted. In a UDP application, like most online games, those lost packets have to be reconciled in code when your local game notices that it's out of sync with everyone else's games. This can cause all the traditional wackiness we associate with lag--delayed splats, teleports, mysteriously appearing ink, and of course disconnects.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
It happened again. This time I got a video. Notice it says there's another player in there, but I don't think so. I was kinda mad about this dc - I had lost a few rounds, and it looked like we'd win this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom