• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 What’s with the hate on the carbon roller?

Toasty17

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5404-5275-4907
Its just what the title says. From my expierience with the carbon it seems borderline OP. It just has so many escape options and it mobility is superb. Not to mention the great TTK and pretty good range thanks to the vertical flick. I’ve had great success with it so far and have yet to see any real downsides to the weapon. Why do so many people hate it?

Maave

Inkling Commander
I haven't seen any hate since the recent buff although it still feels weaker than Splat1. Prior to the buff the a carbon felt like a freaking wiffle ball bat, hardly ever get 1 hit splats even at seemingly point-blank range

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Its just what the title says. From my expierience with the carbon it seems borderline OP. It just has so many escape options and it mobility is superb. Not to mention the great TTK and pretty good range thanks to the vertical flick. I’ve had great success with it so far and have yet to see any real downsides to the weapon. Why do so many people hate it?
You just described why it's hated.
People do tend to hate weaponry they can't deal with no matter what setup they have.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
-Zero ranged options
-Has one of the worst sub weapons in the entire game
-Inkstorm is decent on it's own but doesn't help Carbon in any significant way, Zimi is better for Storm spam
-Far more importantly, it's flicks are very inconsistent to the point it's better to use sploosh/splash to secure kills
-Can't paint well without putting itself at risk

Carbon is a classic case of one of the many weapons in the roster that could use buffs in several factors (the weapon itself/Auto), but it's just unfortunately neglected patch after patch.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Never understood how carbon is ‘inconsistent’, if your in 1-shot range and flick your oppenent is splatted.
Exception is when fall-off starts to come into play.

I do understand how the hor. swing can look ‘inconsistent’ due how it the 1-shot range is so low, making it so that if you aimed your flick even slightly to high or low, it won’t 1-shot.
Vertical flicks are better on this regard atleast.

Anyway, never saw any hate on this weapon either, or atleast not on this site.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I'm gonna have to agree with @Elecmaw here. The only way - and I mean the only way - it can succeed is if it has turf control, swim speed and ninja squid. The 1HKO range is so minuscule you'll be obliterated by anyone before you can even get close enough to land one. Basically, it only works if your team carries you - THEN you can start doing well with it. And those types of weapons that can't push in by themselves are very weak. One weapon may be strong when in control, but if it can't push back in - it's useless. Now. The Carbon Deco on the other hand will have a fighting chance. With burst bombs and autobomb launcher (kinda wish it had inkjet but whatever) this thing will be able to burst cancel once again. The burst bomb effectively extending the main weapon's 1HKO range will help it secure kills from further away. I still don't think it'll be all that amazing - but better for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom