• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What are the best gear abilities in your opinion?

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
Surprised this thread hasn't been made yet. Personally I really like the Swim Speed Up and Special Saver and Super Charge Up. Swim Speed Up helps me get back in the action quickly, because I rarely use Super Jumping anymore, it also makes combating enemies in your own ink way easier as you can maneuver around way faster, it's a nice edge to have. Being an Aerospray RG user, being able to fire a lot Inkstrikes while being able to go all out in battle, not having to worry as much about dying and your gauge depleting a lot works very well for me.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Pretty sure, this has been made, or at last talked about, many of times. Cold Blood and Ink Resistance are basically the best abilities in the game.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say it depends on what your playstyle is. That aside, I consider Ink Saver (Main), Ink Recovery Up and Defense Up (arguably since it doesn't make a difference on a lot of weapons and you have to get hit for it to do something) are very strong since they always benefit you without any drawbacks (Damage Up isn't here since it only counters Defense Up, and Ink Resistance only works while on enemy ink, which is somewhere you don't want to be caught in anyways). I might have missed some, though

chubbylittlefox

Inkling
NNID
Mariolover127
I'd say it depends on what your playstyle is. That aside, I consider Ink Saver (Main), Ink Recovery Up and Defense Up (arguably since it doesn't make a difference on a lot of weapons and you have to get hit for it to do something) are very strong since they always benefit you without any drawbacks (Damage Up isn't here since it only counters Defense Up, and Ink Resistance only works while on enemy ink, which is somewhere you don't want to be caught in anyways). I might have missed some, though
I agree. Without defense up, Ink saver main, and ink resistance up, I find myself in a pinch. Especially since I use a roller 90% of the time. Though 2 other abilities I love using are the bomb sniffer and swim speed up. Bomb sniffer is really helpful since Im always in rooms with ink mine users and can easily avoid em. As well as if I didn't notice a suction bomb by me. Theres a lot of bombs in tower control. >< Swim speed up like mentioned before is helpful for the same reason they said.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Ink Recovery Up is definitely up there because it's generally useful to any weapon, regardless of it's consumption rate and it's reasonable boost (15% for one main). It also synergizes well with the ink savers, allowing you to spend less and get it back faster. I'm partial to Ink Saver sub for quite a few weapons, because it allows for more firing after a bomb is thrown, and for stuff like Burst Bombs, it allows you to throw that many more. Otherwise, I tend to view singular abilities to be better based on Synergy rather than just one ability really benefiting me. Special Charge up with Saver is a good combo, the aforementioned recovery plus ink savers, and a few others I'm blanking on at the moment.

As for unique mains, Cold Blooded and Ink Resistance are probably the most game changing, but Cold Blooded is more generally useful, so I'd rate that higher. (Post Resistance Nerf anyway)

marc

Inkling
NNID
marca7
If you use AeroRG, just focus on having a lot of Run Speed Up and Special charge up.
My setup is:
Head: Run+ (Run+, Run+, Respawn+) <- I'll get rid of fast respawn evetually
Clothes: Sp. Charge+ (Sp. charge+, Saver Main, Saver Main)
and I don't have good shoes as of right now, so whatever has a special charge up main.

I never do Super Jumps except when I die.
Also, I don't up my Squid Speed as I find it unnecessary.
Using your special gives you a full ink charge so you might want to abuse that.

With this setup I usually get 1.8-2.3k in turf war.
I don't focus on kills so I usually get around 5.

Avoid having Damage up with AeroRG as it has no effect whatsoever. (damage maxes out after 1 main or sub, and still takes 5 hits for a kill)

I have not played much Ranked battles, still on B-, but for turf war that's what I do.

Power

Inkling Commander
i haven't really focused on specific load outs for specific weapons yet, but this is my general go to: (Note that i use splatterscope, forge mainly atm. But i will test other weapons)
Tenacity, Cold Blooded, Ink Resistance

I need a cold blooded with splashmob brand. my ink resistance is fine and Tenacity has o useful brand for me atm. I find this to be a general, safe setup. Sometimes it works really well in your favor, other times it is just ok.

Is damage up really worth it on Scopes/Chargers?

Phobos

Inkling Commander
The speed boosts are easy to overlook.

I've tended to favour gear with (the equivalent of) 1 x run speed up and 1 x swim speed up, but not because I thought this would lend much in the way of a tactical advantage, but simply because I prefer playing with a speedier inkling (when I don't use these abilities the inkling feels sluggish, and that's less fun for me).

But today I've been experimenting with equipping (the equivalent of) 2 x run speed and 2 x swim speed up, and I found I was consistently reaching key locations sooner than opposing players, and so getting the upper hand there, and more easily out manoeuvring them in fire-fights, and (crucially) more easily escaping through enemy ink without getting splatted from behind. I filled the other two slots with tenacity and special saver - to keep the specials coming - and this was a very enjoyable set to play with. Though, I suspect the benefits would be less obvious with weapons with poor 'while firing' run speed.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
I think it there are no bests but it predominantly depends on your weapon.

Damage Up is not awesome on weapons already high on damage like the .96 gal but does good on the Custom squelcher.

Ink saver main does very well on the 96 and the Splattershot Pro.

Defense Up is good anytime as is Ink recovery.

Cold blooded is good if the opposing team has echolocater/point sensor.

Tenacity is good if combined with special duration up

Quick respawn is great on large maps where distance to splat zone is far.Swim speed makes a good addition to it.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Honestly, what's good does depend a lot on what your weapon choice is, so it may very well be easier to list what isn't so great, for any load out.

Zelkam

Inkling
Ink Recovery Up is definitely up there because it's generally useful to any weapon, regardless of it's consumption rate and it's reasonable boost (15% for one main). It also synergizes well with the ink savers, allowing you to spend less and get it back faster.
Honestly, I think you're better off just sticking with the Ink Saver and getting something else other than Ink Recovery. Ink Saver Main is great because you can get in at least a couple extra seconds of shooting time. One Ink Recovery main ability, on the other hand, only saves you one third of a second when recovering from a completely depleted tank. It seems to me that you would be able to find some other ability that would be of more use to your build.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
True, but Ink Recovery benefits both when I use main and sub, rather than a specific ability for one or the other. Plus, while how much Savers benefit varies based on weapon, recovery is the same for everything. And let's face it, regardless of how many savers I use, I'm going to hit empty sooner or later at bad time, and being able to recover faster might save me a trip up the creek.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Honestly, what's good does depend a lot on what your weapon choice is, so it may very well be easier to list what isn't so great, for any load out.
On this, the abilities I currently have no use for (my go-to weapons being the splash-o-matic and ttk):

Quick super jump / stealth jump - I tend not to super jump, so would be wasted on me.

Defence-up - since this is countered by damage up, I tend to assume that anyone using the weapons that are hampered by a defence-up will have the good sense to equip damage-up, and so it will be wasted slot (though this is often not the case).

Ink saver sub - the subs that I use are so ink-hungry that the effect of this is pretty negligible - all I'd get is a few extra shots after throwing the sub before needing to replenish the ink tank, and I don't seem to miss those.

Last ditch effort - the abilities that this boosts aren't so useful for me, since my weapons are already pretty ink efficient.

Haunt - it's a fun idea, but as it stands it seems a little gimmicky. Also countered by cold blooded, so won't always be effective.

Bomb sniffer - I've not tested this, but since bombs/mines are already pretty well telegraphed anyway, I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Bomb sniffer - I've not tested this, but since bombs/mines are already pretty well telegraphed anyway, I don't feel like I'm missing out.
Yeah bomb sniffer is pretty useless even in ranked, the only thing it would be good for is mines but not many people use mines on anything besides tower control and obvious choke point traps. So it won't be like you're just tripping over yourself trying to avoid mines all game

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah bomb sniffer is pretty useless even in ranked, the only thing it would be good for is mines but not many people use mines on anything besides tower control and obvious choke point traps. So it won't be like you're just tripping over yourself trying to avoid mines all game
It does help to know when there are Seekers or bombs coming your way and from where they're being launched. I, for one, have trouble with seekers since for some reason they don't always beep o_O

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
As a Customer Dual Squealcher user.

I'm going for ink saver main on my headgear.
Damage Up on my Clothing
Special Charge Up on my shoes, which are already completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom