• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What are the Best Weapons for Flanking?

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
We already have lists for the best overall weapons in the game, so I thought I'd start a discussion on something more specific, in this case, flanking. Tell me what you think the best flanking weapons are in the comments down below.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
I'd imagine, in maps like Arowana Mall and Walleye Warehouse, rollers would be good at it because of the flick and the elevation differences.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I think Carbon Roller is the best on mostly flat maps. Fastest TTK and it gets around pretty quick while rolling.

As far as shooters go, the .52 gal or the tentatek perhaps? I would think something that could spread ink a decent distance, zone, and has a good TTK.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
While I haven't used it in actual combat, I'd say the Sploosh-o-matic should be good if you're going for flanks. The high rate of fire coupled with the high damage make it pretty deadly if you can get close enough to the enemy, and the Squid Beacons let you go pretty much anywhere you can reach almost instantly. In case that isn't an option, it can cover Turf pretty well too

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
Best flankers would be a combination of Ink Spread, mobility and TTK. Flanking with shooters is highly risky without solid map control due to limited mobility. In disadvantageous situations, Krakon Roller or Octobrush would make for the most effective. Inking up behind the opponents limit their mobility before you move in for the team wipe. Octobrush is fast enough to pick off the enemies and run away if things get bad. Both having Kraken helps tremendously.

With map control, most shooters can flank just as well as the aforementioned weapons.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
While I haven't used it in actual combat, I'd say the Sploosh-o-matic should be good if you're going for flanks. The high rate of fire coupled with the high damage make it pretty deadly if you can get close enough to the enemy, and the Squid Beacons let you go pretty much anywhere you can reach almost instantly. In case that isn't an option, it can cover Turf pretty well too
Ditto; Ninja Squid w/Swim Speed and Ink Saver Main are how i Sploosh the other team which is amaaziing in Rainmaker.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
I think Ninja squid is the most under rated ability. Granted, most of the shooter weapons can't make use of it, but rollers, brushes, etc. make great use of it!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Ditto; Ninja Squid w/Swim Speed and Ink Saver Main are how i Sploosh the other team which is amaaziing in Rainmaker.
I don't think it is underrated since it has already received a nerf. Many people think it is indispensable for solo-queue or if you're taking Turf War seriously. Really only outclassed by cold-blooded. But you're right, it is really good.

I tried flanking with the sploosh but I just couldn't get it to work consistently. Sure, a lot of the time I just went up and splatted them. But the range is so bad that often they saw me coming and the sploosh has no way to zone, so if I didn't get the kill immediately I usually didn't get the kill.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
custom js

it's one of the only weapons in the game that can be spotted on a flank and not give a single ****

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Combining both last posts; I understand the range, for someone like me w/mediocre aim at best, I want a sure fire splat when i flank. The Custom Jr. Is underrated as F***, range is poor but disruptor is an insta get away or ruin their day, and giving your team a constant Echo is too good. Want range without sacraficing much? Try Tentatek Splattershot or Neo Splash-o-matic. Even Aerosprau MG, I still stand by the Sploosh-o-matic as my goal isnt to flank, it's to Flank while pushing into their territory knowing i'll be splatted but causing enough disruption in the process that my team flourishes from it.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
For close combat, I'd say Brushes and the Carbon Roller are the best melee ambush weapons, while the Aerospray and Splash-O-Matic are the best ranged ambush weapons.

The Splattershots/Hero/Octo are all good for midrange ambush due to their relatively high damage-per-hit and decent fire rate.

For insane snipers and gunners, the Squiffers, Bamboozler, and Mini Splatling are best Charger-type ambush weapons. Remember to doubletap with the Bamboozler!

For Subweapons play, clutch Splat and Suction Bombs can produce some of the most surprising ambush-OHKOs. Seekers are too noisy for that, but can still be handy for surprises.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
custom js

it's one of the only weapons in the game that can be spotted on a flank and not give a single ****
As a person who mains the Custom Jet Squelcher, I agree. lol

I also think that the Froge Pro, N-Zap 85, Carbon Roller, Octo Brush are pretty decent at flaking as well.

Inkling Ash

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Zachy_Dad
I think any weapon that's quite fast is good for flanking such as the tentetek splattershot.

G

girigiriHERO

I think there is no real answer as there are far too many variables. What map and what are the opposition using? I enjoy using the Octobrush for flanks, but that's not for everyone. Then again ANY weapon can be dangerous in the hands of a master.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I feel like weapons that can kill very fast at a close range, like rollers and brushes, are the best for this. I use an Octobrush as my main and flank a lot. Quick killing shooters should work great too, flanking is mostly based on how well you can sneak past enemies, and once you attack them, they have very little time to react anyways.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
From personal experience the n-zap, splattershots, neo splash o matic, L-3 nozzlehose, squiffers, and the kelp splatterscope are great for flanks (kelp makes it on the list cause once it get into a enemy base corner it can easily defend it and if rushed can place a sprinkler to block damage and get away, best with swim speed up`)

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
another vote for the Octobrush. flanking is basically it's entire purpose, pfft. with the original, flanking people with the kraken is extra fun, if a bit mean.

i also like the carbon. i guess anything with a short range and short-ish TTK earns it's place as a flanker?

one more though... if you have good enough reflexes and are good at being sneaky, you can flank with a bamboozler. but it's also difficult since it has such a distinctive sound, so people can hear you from a mile away if you aren't careful haha...

Teeroy64

Inkling
NNID
teeroy64
52 gals are awesome for flanking. They have a fast ttk, decent range, and can put up a walk to defend from a counter attack. I would say that the sploosh is not so much a flank weapon as it is an ambush weapon. The sploosh has a hard time approaching enemies in their own ink due to its low range, but if an enemy falls into its lap, it wrecks them.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
another vote for the Octobrush. flanking is basically it's entire purpose, pfft. with the original, flanking people with the kraken is extra fun, if a bit mean.
Another fun thing I like to do with the octobrush is place a beacon and jump to myself when someone gets near me with stealth jump. They'll destroy the beacon, but then you land behind them after they pass you, and you can get an easy flank and get behind the enemy. It can be a little hard to perform, though, and if they guess what you're doing, they can get a free kill on you, or even if they don't go past the beacon, and just ink around where they destroyed the beacon and notice you land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom