• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What are your top 5 non-Nintendo games

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
As a follow-up to @CM86's thread, I wanna know what everyone's top 5 favorite non-Nintendo games series are!

I'll come back and edit mine in as soon as I think of them : p

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
-Team Fortress 2
If you follow my post during the release period, you'll realized I reference this game a lot and its comp scene as a frame work for our comp scene. It should be a no-brainer this is my favorite game.

-Ys Origin
The sheer difficulty of this hack-n-slash JRPG led to broken controllers and tears after beating near-impossible bosses. Even its normal difficulty is hard in its own right. Three different characters with different story lines leads to a lot of replay value to tear your hair again.

-The Desolate Hope
Before Five Nights at Freddy's, Scott Cawthon sci-fi platformer/RTS(?) game puts you on an abandon planet trying to debug robots as a coffee pot. It will make sense once you play it. (IT'S FREE ON STEAM!)

-Half-Life
I don't know why I have this on the list. Maybe it's the story, the levels (except Xen, forget that) or the fact that Ross Scott's voice is stuck in my head when I hear the name Gordon Freeman. It may not aged well, but it's still fun.

-Portal 2
The puzzling world that is Aperture Science becomes fully fleshed out, and it feels great now it has more depth in both story and gameplay.

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
-Team Fortress 2
If you follow my post during the release period, you'll realized I reference this game a lot and its comp scene as a frame work for our comp scene. It should be a no-brainer this is my favorite game.

-Ys Origin
The sheer difficulty of this hack-n-slash JRPG led to broken controllers and tears after beating near-impossible bosses. Even its normal difficulty is hard in its own right. Three different characters with different story lines leads to a lot of replay value to tear your hair again.

-The Desolate Hope
Before Five Nights at Freddy's, Scott Cawthon sci-fi platformer/RTS(?) game puts you on an abandon planet trying to debug robots as a coffee pot. It will make sense once you play it. (IT'S FREE ON STEAM!)

-Half-Life
I don't know why I have this on the list. Maybe it's the story, the levels (except Xen, forget that) or the fact that Ross Scott's voice is stuck in my head when I hear the name Gordon Freeman. It may not aged well, but it's still fun.

-Portal 2
The puzzling world that is Aperture Science becomes fully fleshed out, and it feels great now it has more depth in both story and gameplay.
Seems like you're a big Valve fan?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Hm... I'm going to take liberties here by naming games on Nintendo consoles that weren't developed by Nintendo or close affiliates, as I've barely played anything on other consoles. In no particular order (and I've likely forgotten an entry or more):
  • Tales of Xillia (PS3): I claim to love the Tales of series, but I've only actually completed three games (and gotten very far in a fourth). Still, this particular title just shines to me as an example of how everything can go just right in a game. Symphonia has a slower-paced battle system with less freedom, and Xillia 2, although bearing one of my favourite storylines of all time, is, I have to admit, very repetitive. But Xillia itself fails to do anything wrong! Love the characters, love the ability to chain attacks even between party members who aren't active in the battle, love the visual style, love the story.
  • Infinite Space (DS): Underrated games? Here they are. It was lauded by critics but subsequently forgotten all around. This is an... immense title and I can never understand how it was fit on the pitiful DS cartridge. A story spanning galaxies, a really unique system of characters, stats and the battles themselves, aaand... well, that suffices for a game which I've played through twice and still have yet to come across so much content. The spaceships are crunchy-looking, it has to be admitted, but I find the graphical limitations endearing.
  • Skies of Arcadia (GCN, originally Dreamcast): An atmosphere can make a game. The environments here, the themes of discovery and the awesome dress sense of the Blue Rogues contribute to a game in which I really want to live. I like high places in general, so just walking around on sunny sky islands with an endless drop around them is thrilling. The combat is fairly standard JRPG fare but I'm a fan of that, and some boss battles are fiercely difficult - I've never beaten several bonus bosses. Oh, and the battle cries for Special attacks are delightful; see here. Last time I played it, I was perhaps 2/3 through the game before the disc became unreliable... I hope that I can get it to work in future, as this is a game that one needs to play more than once (I had completed it prior to that).
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail (PC): My furry renaissance. Well, no, not too accurate, as I hadn't been much of a furry before playing this. But anyway, what a fun game! Love the soundtrack. If I have a qualm, it's that it's possible to make the latter parts of the game unreasonably easy by using Fidget in the correct way... I guess that if I replay this, I'll try a higher difficulty and limit my usage of her magic. Then the game, like, looks really good, and my point about environments from Arcadia stands here as well (apart from the 'in the sky' bit).
  • ... I can't think of a fifth. Any other games I would list probably categorise as Nintendo titles. I could just say Portal 2, as it's a game I've played and enjoyed, but I really don't love it in the same way as I do the other games I list. Viewtiful Joe... ? Yeah, that's probably not too Nintendo to count, so provisionally that. But I hope to be able to put some other awesome JRPG here in future!

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
Hm... I'm going to take liberties here by naming games on Nintendo consoles that weren't developed by Nintendo or close affiliates, as I've barely played anything on other consoles. In no particular order (and I've likely forgotten an entry or more):
  • Tales of Xillia (PS3): I claim to love the Tales of series, but I've only actually completed three games (and gotten very far in a fourth). Still, this particular title just shines to me as an example of how everything can go just right in a game. Symphonia has a slower-paced battle system with less freedom, and Xillia 2, although bearing one of my favourite storylines of all time, is, I have to admit, very repetitive. But Xillia itself fails to do anything wrong! Love the characters, love the ability to chain attacks even between party members who aren't active in the battle, love the visual style, love the story.
  • Infinite Space (DS): Underrated games? Here they are. It was lauded by critics but subsequently forgotten all around. This is an... immense title and I can never understand how it was fit on the pitiful DS cartridge. A story spanning galaxies, a really unique system of characters, stats and the battles themselves, aaand... well, that suffices for a game which I've played through twice and still have yet to come across so much content. The spaceships are crunchy-looking, it has to be admitted, but I find the graphical limitations endearing.
  • Skies of Arcadia (GCN, originally Dreamcast): An atmosphere can make a game. The environments here, the themes of discovery and the awesome dress sense of the Blue Rogues contribute to a game in which I really want to live. I like high places in general, so just walking around on sunny sky islands with an endless drop around them is thrilling. The combat is fairly standard JRPG fare but I'm a fan of that, and some boss battles are fiercely difficult - I've never beaten several bonus bosses. Oh, and the battle cries for Special attacks are delightful; see here. Last time I played it, I was perhaps 2/3 through the game before the disc became unreliable... I hope that I can get it to work in future, as this is a game that one needs to play more than once (I had completed it prior to that).
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail (PC): My furry renaissance. Well, no, not too accurate, as I hadn't been much of a furry before playing this. But anyway, what a fun game! Love the soundtrack. If I have a qualm, it's that it's possible to make the latter parts of the game unreasonably easy by using Fidget in the correct way... I guess that if I replay this, I'll try a higher difficulty and limit my usage of her magic. Then the game, like, looks really good, and my point about environments from Arcadia stands here as well (apart from the 'in the sky' bit).
  • ... I can't think of a fifth. Any other games I would list probably categorise as Nintendo titles. I could just say Portal 2, as it's a game I've played and enjoyed, but I really don't love it in the same way as I do the other games I list. Viewtiful Joe... ? Yeah, that's probably not too Nintendo to count, so provisionally that. But I hope to be able to put some other awesome JRPG here in future!
Ooh, I've been meaning to play Skies of Arcadia : O

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Ooh, I've been meaning to play Skies of Arcadia : O
Which version? The GCN release has at least one extra sidequest but I'm informed that the Dreamcast original has slightly better soundfonts. However, I think that the encounter rate (either on the world map or generally) is annoyingly high in the Dreamcast version. No huge differences, still. I'd estimate it to be at most a 60-hour game if you go for all sidequests and are slow like me; one can probably reasonably do so in 40 hours, though, so it's not the hugest JRPG.

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
Which version? The GCN release has at least one extra sidequest but I'm informed that the Dreamcast original has slightly better soundfonts. However, I think that the encounter rate (either on the world map or generally) is annoyingly high in the Dreamcast version. No huge differences, still. I'd estimate it to be at most a 60-hour game if you go for all sidequests and are slow like me; one can probably reasonably do so in 40 hours, though, so it's not the hugest JRPG.
GC. We've already got that version, and last I checked, the Dreamcast version was pretty expensive : p

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I think for us old-school, 8-bit, + PC gamers we probably need to subdivide categories here. Favorite series? Favorite CURRENT series vs. favorite retro series? There's too many to cite! And series only...hmm..

In no particular order I'd have to go with:
[Descent] Freespace. Only 2 games ever came out in the series, it was on PC, but it was this amazing sci-fi arcade space flight sim set in this great story world with these huuuge ships etc. It probably doesn't hold up as well today but in its day it was utterly amazing. Sad the company that made it, Volition, got stiffed by the publisher, then got bought up by THQ and never got to revisit the series due to rights issues with the now (semi?)defunct Interplay (home of the REAL Fallout games. ) Starfox Zero is as close as I'll get for a while I think. Sadly.

Infamous: Sony series. It seems strange but I find that series amazingly addictive, even if the last one wasn't a very long game. Something about running around with superpowers is just very satisfying.

I'm deeply divided on my next one: Final Fantasy. Square has over-milked, overbaked, overreleased, and in 13 under-performed badly. I love it, I hate it, I just don't know what to think of it. But my pre-order is in for XV anyway because I'm a good little patsy trying to live on my nostalgia high of before it sucked. :p

Deus Ex: Possibly higher in my list than it should be due to near-release hype. I've been there since the beginning - the first game, the gameplay would hold up HORRIBLY today. But the world was just so unbelievably huge at the time and the story so interesting. I'll pretend Invisible War didn't exist. Let's just pretend that. It almost was fun except it was not the right game in all it's purple glory. Human Revolution really jumpstarted it back to its origins and I have high hopes for Mankind Divided. Great action-RPG that still wears its RPG-roots on its sleeves.

Runner ups (there are many):
Assassin's Creed REALLY was addictive at first....but it outlived its fun and became boring rehashes.

Mass Effect: Great series, again fun action RPG that would have had higher marks, but EA kind of blundered it, removed most of the RPG elements, and most sinfully broke the story.

Sonic: Grew up with sonic. Loved sonic. Miss sonic. I can not forgive Boom....or half the other games in the last decade+. Will he make a comeback? We'll find out soon.

Shin Megami Tensei (in all it's forms/Survivor/Summoner/Persona/...#FE?): It's the Final [Dark] Fantasy that didn't develop multiple personalities! :)

Castlevania: Back on NES it was amazing. On SNES, it was amazing. Though it was sort of a Nintendo series despite being Konami. I actually missed the Iga years on Sony. And what it has become is not what it once was.

Toejam and Earl: Not consistent enough to be a series. But that was such a favorite waaay back in the day. Am I the only one who remembers this series?

Goemon: Doomed though it may be, seriously who remembers this and does not love it to pieces?

Myst: In its day it was amazing. I'd wait impatiently for each installment with worlds to explore. It does not hold up as well today however.

Diablo: Hyper addictive hack & slash co-op goodness. It's one of the few games where it's not about the story, it's about the crazy randomly generated gameplay and the fun co-op with friends.

Baldur's Gate: A long ago concluded game series when it's trilogy was done. But it was the standard by which top down WRPGs can and should be defined by for all time.

Most of the rest are probably all Nintendo series. And I'll remember the rest probably after I post this.

Of course favorite games that are NOT part of a series......the list would be way longer :)

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I have a gross headache, but i'm willing to just list them without descriptions.
- DOOM series
- Wolfenstien series
- Subnautica
- Little Inferno
- Sims

srslyeffnawsum

Inkling
NNID
Seikuyuu
Thinking of favorite non-Nintendo titles was really tricky at first, but I got it.

1. Final Fantasy X: My most favorite game ever, I literally replay it every year since it came out.
2. Chrono Cross: I got a PS2 very late in life and my mom randomly bought this game for me because she thought the cover art was pretty. I hadn't played Chrono Trigger, but absolutely fell in love with this game. I get really nostalgic about it I think because my mom played it also and we kind of had a little bond over it.
3. Dangan Ronpa series: I love the first one so much, and the second one was great, too. The third in series was alright, although I never finished it.
4. Dead Rising series: Not much to say, I love killing zombies in hilarious ways. :)
5. Katamari Damacy series: Every game is basically the same, but they're so happy and colorful, and I love the music.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Hmmm, interesting. I do play a hell of a lot of non-Nintendo stuff. In no particular order...

1. Sanctum 2/Orcs Must Die 2. These are together because they're two sides of the same coin despite having entirely different settings and developers. Fusions of shooting personal combat and tower defense, Sanctum 2 is more strategic and Orcs 2 is more frantic, but both are an utter joy to play with friends.

2. The Binding of Isaac. It's not really an exaggeration to say this game changed my life. I met several of my current friend circle via that fandom, and devoted huge swaths of time to mastering the Zelda roguelike gameplay. Also, Isaac is the most lovable underdog in all of video games, I have wanted and still want to cuddle that poor child to bits.

3. Resident Evil, 1 through 4 plus Revelations 1. I don't talk about the others. While they're far from scary, they're atmospheric in a way I really, really enjoy. All the little factors add up to these games being wonderful experiences for me even today. One track from Resident Evil 3 has always stuck out in my mind. Even without playing the game, the music and the song title will tell you everything about the scene that this tune is setting.

4. Castlevania. Not counting the Lords of Shadows games, which again, I don't talk about. The rest though... Glorious. I have played every last game in this series, except for That Which Will Not Be Named of course, and I can recommend any and all of them. From the original NES trilogy to the looooooong line of metroidvanias starting with Symphony of the Night, these games are fantastic to play, and also to listen to - I've got the soundtracks from most every game in the series downloaded. If it isn't clear by now, music's an important factor to my enjoyment of games.

5. SaGa Frontier, and by extension the SaGa series. These are weird, weird RPGs. The mechanics can be obtuse, the characterization can be lacking, the game balance can be off, and the writing can be atrocious. None of this matters. SaGa Frontier is a game that was remarkably open-ended before that was really a thing, with the masterful environments and music Squaresoft was known for in the 90s. Oh, and you can do things like recruit robots and bolt rocket launchers to them, suplex an undead king, and the first game in the SaGa series lets you rip the local God in half with a chainsaw. Yes.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
SaGa Frontier would have to be one of my favorite PS1 RPGs out there. I remember it well where I watched my best friend played this game from a long time ago, he was at the final boos of Emelia's story, but lost because his party was under level.
Years later, I picked up this game and started on Emelia's story and took my time to understand everything about the game, truly the game is amazing on what it has to offer.
Once I have nearly maxed out my party's stats, I went to fight the final boss, I pretty much wrecked the final boss and finish Emelia's story for my friend. I mean this game is something that I wish that had a remake, seeing on what was cut from the game and it could use a bit more polish as yes the localisation is a bit weird on how it's translated.
Also surprisingly despite what the artwork shows Emelia holding guns, this is another mistake as Emelia is actually a pretty good sword user, the programmers mixed her stat growth in guns with another person.
Well, there WERE remakes of the first two SaGa games for the Nintendo DS, in Japan only of course. Still, there's fan translations if you want to check out those ridiculous-in-the-best-ways-possible games remastered!

Nozzlepops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nozzles
Non-Nintendo is pretty hard to think up, tbh.

- Little Big Planet (any)
- Grand Theft Auto (any)
- Halo 2
- The Wolf Among Us
- The Walking Dead (just season 1 really)

in no particular order

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Not ordered

I'm not as tired now so I'll edit in some descriptions

-Team Fortress 2: This was the first FPS I saw that interested me at all, and the only one I play, since Splatoon is played from a first person view. I like the unique abilities the classes have, like double jumping, disguising, rocket jumping, and building stuff, that makes it more interesting to play.
-Portal 2: I like the puzzles and GLaDOS's commentary is funny. The portal gun is an amazing weapon but it seems like it'd be really dangerous to use in real life.
-Rocket League-This doesn't run well on my laptop (It's not even supposed to run at all, it's a windows only game) but it's still fun to play, the idea of the game is really creative, it's like racing and soccer, and it feels great to make goals.
-Stardew Valley-This is like Harvest Moon but it has a lot more content, and you can be really creative with your farm, the only thing I think is better about Harvest Moon is that there are a lot more festivals, SV has just 8 while HM also has a lot of small festivals throughout the year that make it more fun. But SV has other things like mining, fishing is a little more interesting than it is in most games, and all the characters are unique and interesting.
-Skyrim-I got this recently and haven't beaten it yet, despite having over 60 hours on it. I've mostly just been doing the sidequests. I like the combat, your level and gear are important but you can defeat more difficult enemies by being patient and strategically fighting them. The world is amazing, I believe it's the only game with a large, open world like that that I've played, but that'll change with BOTW.

Last edited:
NNID
ocelotprincess25
Switch Friend Code
SW-2098-0956-3400
undertale
minecraft
hatsune miku colorful stage
little embarrased to say but prob bottle flip 3d ;-;
idk im going off of games that i played more recently rather than years back
but i did really really enjoy playing sims but my dad wont let me because he used to be addicted...

i like too many nintendo games i legit spent 15 minutes deciding this list

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Here's a riddle for the ages: why did snake_joe come back in 2018 and un-write all their posts? What thought process led to that? Wouldn't have seen that if the thread hadn't been necro'd. So anyway, hope everyone's having a good day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom