• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What bands would you compare the Splatoon OST to?

OzGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OzGuyU
I once read an article comparing them to Blink-182 and Sum-41. What do you think?

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
The person who wrote that article is an idiot then. The closest genre you can compare Splatoon's OST to is synth-rock/pop. Not pop punk! Sorry but as a music aficionado, someone making that comparison annoys me.

OzGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OzGuyU
HMM... not so sure. Listen to the pre-synth intro of Splattack! and then compare it to something like, say, "The Rock Show".

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
That's a really far-fetched statement though, just taking account the like 20 second prelude to one song in-game, and comparing it to the intro of an actual song because the riff "sounds similar"? However, listening to them both simultaneously, I can't even say that's true because Blink-182's "The Rock Song" has a much faster pace and shares a much different rhythm compared to Splattack! They literally sound in no way shape or form the same.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Honestly this game's soundtrack is too unique and distinct to really compare to any band out there. Plus while the vast majority of it uses instruments most commonly found in a synth-rock or electronica group, majority of these songs share a different genre altogether. The Booyah Bases themes all have a R&B feel to them, Metalopod is, well metal kinda with a heavy generic electric guitar riff and inkling... "screamo?", at least at first then it turns back into a synth-beat again with high-pitched inkling singing, the Squid Sister songs all have a J-Pop-esque rhythm to them, Octo Valley is just a simple synth-tune with drums thrown into the mix, the Octoweapon fights, I couldn't tell you what they were going for there, and DJ Octavio is a techno track, but every track uses synthesizers or keyboards in some way or another. Me personally, I am not a fan of bands that implement synthesizers into their music because those would be electronica bands and I feel that they overuse it. I like hearing it in small doses, which Splatoon does rather well by mixing it in with other instruments that counteract and compliment the synth tunes. There are few synth-rock bands I like (The Anniversary, Reggie & The Full Effect, Julien-K), but none of them can really be compared at all to sounding anything similar to Splatoon's OST. So to answer your question, I don't know.

OzGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OzGuyU
Well, when I think about it, I can see the point of the writer. In fact, I think Blink and co. provide pretty good BGM in place of the original OST.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Strongly disagree. This game would hurt from having a licensed soundtrack because it would ruin the atmosphere of "this is an entirely different world and civilization from ours, even though it isn't.", especially if the songs have lyrics in them because inklings wouldn't listen to our music because they wouldn't understand it and therefore ruin the immersion of your a squid kid, not a kid. Not to mention there isn't any record of our music existing in this world either. If it were remixed to match the musical composition of Splatoon and if the lyrics were remixed to match the high-pitched gurgling of the inklings, well then for one, that would be a lot of work for the sound crew to do, two, that would be a lot of the budget being spent getting permission to use the copyrighted music from the record companies that either produced the original music and/or have the band/bands in question currently signed onto their label, and three, you could do that with any bands, any genre of music and it would still be passible so long as it sounds distinct enough from the original recording.

OzGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OzGuyU
Well, I'm going to try and save this from being a one-on-one flamewar...
What if, whilst excavating the ground left by the human era, they found the sheet music for Blink's works and interpreted it in their own style?
(And this is a cartoon, so the sheets being intact are DEFINITELY possible.)

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I'm gonna have to say I can't place any bands I know of in the same respect of Splatoons OST. I do agree that you'd probably be closest with Synth Pop/Rock sounds. It's certainly unlike any VGM I've heard before as well.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Been listening to it recently I hear occasional bits that sound like drum-and-bass and triphop, but only occasional little bits. I've never heard anything like this music before.

OzGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OzGuyU
That would probs be the Single-Player music.
The MP tunes are a lot more rock.

desolator

Inkling
Look up the band Polysics.

Splatoon's OST: new wave, electropunk, synthpop, with bubblegom pop/rock vibes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom