• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What did you learn from s1 that you don't see people do in s2?

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
General discussion about the game, what you noticed and how it affected your gameplay or your battles against other players!

The one I noticed the most is the lack of wall usage. While I agree that in splatoon2, the ammount of climbable walls are much more reduced and there's a larger focus on field like map.. It make them feel very huge and empty. It also mean that there's less emphasis on upward map design.

So as a splatoon1 player, I've learned to use walls to a point when I started playing splatoon2, it felt awkward. But I managed and I'm still glued to my walls tricks. However, I noticed that splatoon2 players that never played splatoon1 have a large disadvantage right there.. While splatoon1 player are more used to using walls, splatoon2 give a bigger emphasis on large open area so it's not every splat2 players who immediatly go "Yes, I can use that wall to my advantage." In fact, some basic wall baiting trick has worked on a few X ranked player I met in every modes. So I was wondering if you guys noticed small little things like that? Have you noticed what could encourage those kind of difference? What skill did you learn from splat1 that still work in splat2 but it seems like nobody know or use it?

Chilly_Blu

SRL Intern
Switch Friend Code
SW-0051-2661-0160
Something that I've always done is jumping when you're being shot at, that way its harder to get a direct hit. I don't know if it actually worked but a lot of people did it. I remember a lot of players in ranked doing that in splatoon 1, but in splatoon 2 I haven't seen it as much

xenogrease

Inkling
Something that I've always done is jumping when you're being shot at, that way its harder to get a direct hit. I don't know if it actually worked but a lot of people did it. I remember a lot of players in ranked doing that in splatoon 1, but in splatoon 2 I haven't seen it as much
This is a technique I'd almost completely forgotten about. Jumping was almost a must for the higher ranks / competitive plan in Splatoon 1 but I haven't seen it, nor have I consciously used it myself in Splatoon 2. Kinda makes you think whether it's still a valid tactic if it's gone so far out of fashion.

It did work for Splatoon 1 for sure, unsure of the actual mechanic behind it but a player who jumped almost always won a 1v1 against a player who didn't. iirc in Splatoon 1, if you jumped and looked down you were much more likely to directly hit your foe compared to shooting straight ahead because the trajectory of the ink was less RNG. I feel like this no longer really applies to Splatoon 2 possibly since the ink is more streamlined anyway.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I never found jumping to really help that much with aiming, I think people really do it only to dodge more easily. And even then, it's a technique that doesn't really work that much in Splatoon compared to most shooters I think due to the small/slow jumps and the scattershot nature of most weapons. I think it really depends on what weapon you're using and are against whether it has any affect.

At any rate, I see people use it in S2 just as much as in S1.

Diolass

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0746-2241-9712
Flanking. This might have been just me, but I feel like in S1 people were trying to take different angles on the opponent more often. Nowadays, people just charge the opponent head on. It gets really annoying in solo ranked because literally one bomb or a well placed special will kill that push in an instant.

Leahita

Inkling
Splathopping. I used this the most, and now I just see people super jump away or if they have a brush use it to get away.

Cephalobro

Paying attention to Beakons, whether they are from my team or the enemy's team, nobody seems to pay attention to them. This can lead to some clear wins into guaranteed losses. Once I see enemy Beakons, I make them the priority to destroy in any mode because I just can't take the risk of the enemy's stage awareness. Team Beakons can also be of help in getting around an area where the enemy's team clearly has locked. Either way, I see way too many people ignoring Beakons and it just gets annoying.

xenogrease

Inkling
I never found jumping to really help that much with aiming, I think people really do it only to dodge more easily. And even then, it's a technique that doesn't really work that much in Splatoon compared to most shooters I think due to the small/slow jumps and the scattershot nature of most weapons. I think it really depends on what weapon you're using and are against whether it has any affect.

At any rate, I see people use it in S2 just as much as in S1.
odd, i haven't seen people jump in a long long time. After seeing this thread I went and experimented with jumping again and it did help aiming somewhat. The ink trajectory is more concentrated so in up close battles it works (and yes it definitely does help with dodging). The 'scattershot nature' of the weapons pretty much nullifies when jumping, it's a lot more streamline (thinking of shooter weapons like splatshots and naps). But yeah jumping for me hasn't been prevalent at all in my matches for the last 3 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom