• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What do you think is the best weapon in Splatoon?

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
Now, I know that each weapon had it's own ups and downs, but I was just wondering what the majority would consider the "best weapon" to be.

Like I'd probably say the Gals or even the Blasters.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Best at what?

Frontlines? Tentatek, .96 Deco, and .52.

Support? E-Liter, Dual Squelcher, Custom Jet Squelcer

Flex? Splattershot, Krak-On Roller

Pretty subjective though.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For offensive play the gals and blasters are definitely really good. I'd also add the Tentatek. Maybe the splash-o-matic and Neo variant.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
The Gals for sure. Specifically .96 Gal Deco.

For any mode other than Turf War, Luna Blaster Neo is crazy good too.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
Gosh, it's hard to say. Every weapon has their own little neat tricks and gimmicks and every player is acquainted to different styles of play.

Here are my (biased :P) picks:

- Kelp Splatterscope: Quick charge up, great range; Sprinkler is a perfect for covering turf and as bait; the Killer Wail is great for applying pressure and attacking players on long straights e.g. Camp Triggerfish.
- Tentatek Splattershot: Great all-round range, ink efficiency, DPS; Suction Bomb has good splash damage, can be applied to walls and ceilings; Inkzooka is handy for taking out opposing snipers; good strafing (w/ a few :ability_runspeed: slapped on it can be very nimble)
- The Gals have impeccable DPS, sub-weapons and specials.

It really comes down to personal preference. People will strive with whatever weapon appeals to their play style.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
for me when you see the other team before the game starts and there is 1 or 2 Luna Blaster Neo i feel that it's not going to go well i just find that those guys in general and the best pure shooters from ranked A and up, now that could be because my 2 main weapons are krak on and splattershot jr but the numbers at the end of matches i just find they really tally up the kills

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
In my opinion, I think the Carbon Roller and Octobrush Nouveau can be two of the best offensive or defensive weapon. They have the capability to play either role depending on how the player wants to use them.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
In my opinion, I think the Carbon Roller and Octobrush Nouveau can be two of the best offensive or defensive weapon. They have the capability to play either role depending on how the player wants to use them.
Ok, I can't just not say anything here...

That's totally wrong man. Anyone who pays any attention won't be easily subdued by a carbon roller and especially the octobrush. Carbon roller is pretty good, I admit but the octobrush is far from the best weapon. It takes too much ability compensation to be really good. Like needing a couple damage ups to lower the number of hits to kill by 1 when it already needs you to be really close and terrible ink consumption kinda begs for ink recovery and saver main. I feel like it needs you to hold its hand whereas other set ups can be used naked (if that was an option ;P) with no specific abilities.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
There really is no best weapon IMO. However since the tentatek/octoshot is used so often, I'll assume that weapon?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
There's 74 weapons and we're still on Gals & Tentateks? :(

I don't know there is a "best." Most versatile for the largest number of situations/maps/modes/playstyles, maybe. "Best" can mean so many different weapons to many different people. I notice "best" lists never cover long range or short range, but always midrange shooters. A TTK isn't the "best" weapon for picking off snipers on the opposite side in Moray. Nor is it the best weapon for popping off a wall right behind someone. It's highly versatile and playable to any style. Best seems to be used as a stand in for "most versatile" which isn't really the same thing.

Ok, I can't just not say anything here...

That's totally wrong man. Anyone who pays any attention won't be easily subdued by a carbon roller and especially the octobrush. Carbon roller is pretty good, I admit but the octobrush is far from the best weapon. It takes too much ability compensation to be really good. Like needing a couple damage ups to lower the number of hits to kill by 1 when it already needs you to be really close and terrible ink consumption kinda begs for ink recovery and saver main. I feel like it needs you to hold its hand whereas other set ups can be used naked (if that was an option ;P) with no specific abilities.
The same can be said for eliter - trying that with no damage up is going to be a bad time. It "can be done" but you won't perform close to as well as you could. I'm not an brush fan, but I don't know that it's right to say that it can't qualify as best simply because it needs specific easily available attributes to perform at its best. A skilled brush user is a VERY serious menace on any battlefield. But they're less versatile than mid-range shooters. It's the very best at what it does, which is not charging head-long into enemy territory but is brutal in defending friendly ink, and, though I very much dislike this practice, deadly at setting up pseudo spawncamps in enemy territory. I don't approve of that tactic, but I know it's effective and that weapon is the best at it.

Celeste

Inkling
NNID
Celestefey
The Gals for sure. Specifically .96 Gal Deco.

For any mode other than Turf War, Luna Blaster Neo is crazy good too.
The gal weapons are really good. I personally love the .52 Gal Deco (hence why it's my main weapon) - it's not got a slow rate of fire yet it's still quite powerful... Powerful enough to kill an enemy in 2/3 hits. I also really like the sub weapons. The seekers are great if you need to pick off a sniper that's bugging you or if you want to stay stealthy, and the inkstrikes can be pretty handy too. I've worked out the locations on each map where enemies tend to cluster together most so I almost always get at LEAST one splat with an inkstrike.

Award

Why is it whenever a "best weapons" question shows up, nobody ever seems to bring up Splattershot Pro/Forge Pro? It has a pretty fast TTK, 3hko is no worse than 52 gal (and it shoots faster I believe), has incredible range for a regular shooter, is way more accurate than 96 gal, and very mobile. It has pretty awful ink efficiency, but the turfing pattern on it does create some thick lines... It just requires some accuracy. But for whatever reason it never seems to make "best" threads!

Celeste

Inkling
NNID
Celestefey
Why is it whenever a "best weapons" question shows up, nobody ever seems to bring up Splattershot Pro/Forge Pro? It has a pretty fast TTK, 3hko is no worse than 52 gal (and it shoots faster I believe), has incredible range for a regular shooter, is way more accurate than 96 gal, and very mobile. It has pretty awful ink efficiency, but the turfing pattern on it does create some thick lines... It just requires some accuracy. But for whatever reason it never seems to make "best" threads!
I love the Splattershot Pro so much, it's a really good weapon. But I feel like my inkling slows down more than I'd want it to when I'm trying to shoot with it so I don't always feel like using it in like turf wars for example where you want to focus more on covering ground at a relatively quick pace, just because I move so slowly (but could also be because of the stats I have on my gear). But if you need to focus on getting kills like maybe on Rainmaker or Tower Control, then it's much better.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Why is it whenever a "best weapons" question shows up, nobody ever seems to bring up Splattershot Pro/Forge Pro?
Because the .96 Deco exists. That's probably not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Way back in June, before the .96 Deco was released, the Splattershot Pro was a common sight in Ranked--more common than the original .96 Gal, in fact. But then the .96 Deco came along, and once people realized it did the Pro's job better, they switched over to it pretty quickly.

Footage of a typical A+ Ranked Battle in early June (back when A+ was the highest rank):

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Wow, DUDE has gotten so much better...
Why is it whenever a "best weapons" question shows up, nobody ever seems to bring up Splattershot Pro/Forge Pro?
Yeah, the .96 Deco is THAT much better at doing the things the SPro can do. Then there are other weapons that provide similar kits that can fill other roles. In this meta, giving up a wall AND a kraken in one weapon is pretty detrimental.

gtasgsdfd

Inkling
As far as Turf Wars go I think Aerospray MG is the best. It puts down ink the fasted and easiest, especially with high sensitivity on the motion controls.

Splat Zones I like the Dual Squelcher if you're playing a supportive role. You can cap zones and keep 'em painted from a safe distance while taking out enemies trying to flank your team and if you need to take care of a charger you got range to do so, and you also get the Echolocator to help out!

Also on Splat Zones I like the Splattershot if I'm playing more aggressive. I like the balance with range, damage and fire rate making it combat efficient if I'm on my toes enough AND the burst bombs are really awesome at smackin' people from afar and freaking them out. With the Bomb Rush you can re-cap a zone while splatting a few enemies as well!

As far as Tower Control and Rain Maker... God, IDK yet. I still stink at those two modes haha.

Award

Because the .96 Deco exists. That's probably not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Way back in June, before the .96 Deco was released, the Splattershot Pro was a common sight in Ranked--more common than the original .96 Gal, in fact. But then the .96 Deco came along, and once people realized it did the Pro's job better, they switched over to it pretty quickly.

Footage of a typical A+ Ranked Battle in early June (back when A+ was the highest rank):

Except the 96 is fairly slow and is RNG dependent. If you can actually AIM it's not as amazing as they make it sound. IMO in 6 months, some other weapon will be "so much better than .96D" and everyone will talk about how .96D is just too inaccurate to be taken seriously in ranked. :rolleyes:

.96 caught on back before the Kraken was nerfed. Then it just kind of stuck. Not that it's not good, just that people get stuck on "everyone says this is best" until everyone says something else is best.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Except the 96 is fairly slow and is RNG dependent. If you can actually AIM it's not as amazing as they make it sound. IMO in 6 months, some other weapon will be "so much better than .96D" and everyone will talk about how .96D is just too inaccurate to be taken seriously in ranked. :rolleyes:
They already did say that... about the original .96 Gal, that is. That's why it's always been an offbeat pick in Ranked. The .96 Deco is a different story, though. For the explanation, I'm going to reach into the Wayback Machine again.

so, back to this game, we know that the 96 can 2shot at virtually any range. we know that it has a 20% hard coded wide shot chance. we know it can shoot 40 shots before running out of ink without any savers. we know it has a range of 150. we know its strafe speed is **** slow. put all this together and we know it's a very strong but unreliable weapon--until it's sitting behind a splash wall and has a kraken ready to pop, in which case it becomes the best front line weapon in the game for its survivability, zoning ability, and so on. and since they removed the one tech that could actually counter it (throwing suctions onto the far top edge of the wall), there's no "well we might not know yet" because there's far less for us to explore as countermeasures. I mean, sure: there are countermeasures. gatlings shred walls. jet squelchers can force decos back. chargers can do a lot of burst damage to the wall. they're not uncounterable. it's just that countering them turns them from an unbeatable meat grinder into a very strong and effective defensive weapon.
Now, to be fair, this was back before the .96 Deco's kit got hit with the nerf bat. However, your claim that its poor accuracy makes it "not as amazing as they make it sound" is unfounded. People were aware of that problem all along. It's just that when the .96 was given a Splash Wall and a Kraken, they compensated for that flaw and allowed it to replace the Pro.

.96 caught on back before the Kraken was nerfed. Then it just kind of stuck. Not that it's not good, just that people get stuck on "everyone says this is best" until everyone says something else is best.
We already went through a period of people saying that the .96 Deco was dead because of the Splash Wall and Kraken nerfs. Those claims were exaggerated. It's no longer head and shoulders above every other shooter, but it's still one of the top weapons in the game, and it's still doing the Pro's job better.

The Pro's popularity has only been waning in recent months, not increasing. Barring the possibility of yet more balance changes, the Pro is not going to overtake the .96 Deco in the metagame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom