• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 What do you think of the Competitive Meta right now?

Weavile

Inkster Jr.
In my opinion it's balanced and unbalanced at the same time. On one hand for any role you want to fill on a team there are multiple weapons for it, for example if you want to be a backliner you can use a rapid, a splatling, a long range shooter like the Jet and Chargers( Unless it's Clam Blitz then just don't) or possibly even the new Explosher and Ballpoint Splatling. On the other since the weapons are proven to be good or used a lot you see them all the time and may get you turned off from the more Competitive Comp scene and just stick to Turf war and Salmon Run or Ride the bandwagon (I'll admit to being a dirty Tentatek and Blaster User). But I personally think there are more options then there was before when you needed to run an N-zap on your team or Triple Tri-Slosher teams were very common. So being obsessed with this game's competitive scene since I don't have anything better to do I want to hear your thoughts on this current Metagame.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I think it's slowly becoming less stagnant. Longer ranged weapons such as Jet/Splat Charger/Pro/Rapids are creeping up in usage and people are dropping Splashdown weapons in favor for Inkjet considering how exploitable the former is and how deadly the latter can be in the right hands.

There's still long ways to go to completely change the meta, but looking at the changes throughout the last few months, it's baby steps really.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Slowly becoming less stagnant, but still stagnant. The only things that will shake it up at this point are a new extensive patch or a Japanese team performing a cool stunt in a scrim, which tends to influence people just a bit too much.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Yeah I'm gonna agree with @Dessgeega here. Surely the meta consists of more than 4 weapons at a time, but the game is still unbalanced in quite a few ways. This is the age of the long range meta where people still use all the same boring, easy to pick up weapons (Heavy, CJS, Rapids, ttek, cBlaster, Enperries, Ballpoint, CDS, etc.). The game has become a lot less fast paced and if this keeps up it won't be healthy for the game. Imagine someone new to Splatoon watching a stream and seeing two rapids firing at each other at long range as opposed to two splattershots battling it out in an epic 1v1. Granted, some top teams are seeing this trend and are putting in work to beat the easy to pick up weapons, with not so easy to pick up weapons. For instance, HXN decided to start learning H3D as opposed to rapid pro deco like most people use. It may be difficult in the beginning, but will be worth its weight in gold once he masters it. We also have the dualie meta in Japan with dapples, gloogas, tetras and enperries to outdo the standard weapons people play. In my opinion, the meta is still quite stale and there are an abundance of weapons that don't see any usage because the balancing in this game sucks whether it be a sucky kit or a main weapon buff that's been waiting a year to happen. This game has so much more potential. I will say, something I do like about this meta is the inkjet being a top tier special because of its high skill ceiling - yet high skill floor. My hope for the meta is to stop it from being all low input high output weapons. I'm kind of tired of watching scrims at this point given how broken some of the weapons are (I'm looking at you, ballpoint), and how stale the gameplay has gotten.

Weavile

Inkster Jr.
It also doesn't help that everyone wants one weapon to be nerfed (Clash,Rapid), The devs ignores a bad weapon in need of a buff completely ( 4k, Luna, Carbon, Squiffer, Tenta Missiles in my opinion ), Or gives a weapon unnecessary buff when it needs literally everything else( Undercover). And is it just me that I think some of the devs might hate chargers? First they make almost every new map at the start of the game better for Close quarters, Invent Stingray, Inkjet, Missiles, Ink Storm, Dualies and Autobombs that are so popular among the whole community that make it hell for them, Chargers are just horrible weapons to use in Clam Blitz and of course the poor Eliter with lower range with the same charge time that last an ice age worse kits, the Squiffer which I feel suffered a worse fate in having little range advantage over other weapons but needing godlike aim to do anything and having little in its kits to defend itself, Bamboo has the same weaknesses but I personally think it can do better in other modes with it's new kit even in Clams and we all know the Goo Tuber's a meme. At least the Splat Chargers are holding their ground.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
It also doesn't help that everyone wants one weapon to be nerfed (Clash,Rapid), The devs ignores a bad weapon in need of a buff completely ( 4k, Luna, Carbon, Squiffer, Tenta Missiles in my opinion ), Or gives a weapon unnecessary buff when it needs literally everything else( Undercover). And is it just me that I think some of the devs might hate chargers? First they make almost every new map at the start of the game better for Close quarters, Invent Stingray, Inkjet, Missiles, Ink Storm, Dualies and Autobombs that are so popular among the whole community that make it hell for them, Chargers are just horrible weapons to use in Clam Blitz and of course the poor Eliter with lower range with the same charge time that last an ice age worse kits, the Squiffer which I feel suffered a worse fate in having little range advantage over other weapons but needing godlike aim to do anything and having little in its kits to defend itself, Bamboo has the same weaknesses but I personally think it can do better in other modes with it's new kit even in Clams and we all know the Goo Tuber's a meme. At least the Splat Chargers are holding their ground.
I somewhat agree with this. Clash Blaster is a death up-close, but for it to get to that position, it needs a lot of turf coverage. This means that people should just paint the $!#@%*# floor and not focus on kills. The opposite happens for rapid blaster, where it is death from far, so flanking or sub-strafing could work against it.

The 4k, Luna, Squiffer, and Carbon need a buff. All of them except Carbon need an extreme buff because they just feel like direct downgrades of existing weapons.

However, I still don't get why Tenta Missiles is considered bad or terrible. Arguments against it is that it's slow and doesn't do anything. It takes around 2 seconds to use it on all four players, and all the weapons that have tenta missiles are fast splatters, so you have an answer if someone comes attacking you. However, some people say that it's easy to attack you when you're aiming, but that's like saying the same thing for Sting Ray. Besides, you should have seen then coming towards you when you're using the special.
Also, knowing the positions of enemies and your teammates can help you locate sharks, and you can combine it with other specials so enemies have less chances to run away without getting splatted. Maybe people don't like it because it's like the Tenta Brella; it's supportive and looks worse compared to other specials at first glance.

Well, I agree with the counters to Chargers, but the maps now are getting better for Chargers to get control of (New Albacore, Shellendorf, MakoMart, etc.), and I still don't get why Sting Ray hasn't been nerfed yet. Dualies also don't make sense to me, as they literally are guns that can basically teleport.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Dualies also don't make sense to me, as they literally are guns that can basically teleport.
Well, for the most part, the Dualie family of weapons are fairly balanced in terms of their performance compared to weapons in the shooter category. They're all a bit below average outside of rolls. Splat Dualies actually having a little less range than weapons like the N-Zap and Splattershot, Squelcher's semi-inconsistent accuracy, Gloogas being a slow 3 hit, and Tetras having abysmal accuracy.

Really, it's just the Dapples which are pretty much objectively better than its closest shooter equivilent, the Sploosh, comparing just the base weapon.

The roll is the new mechanic with this class, and honestly, the rolls are really the saving grace of the class as well.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Well, for the most part, the Dualie family of weapons are fairly balanced in terms of their performance compared to weapons in the shooter category. They're all a bit below average outside of rolls. Splat Dualies actually having a little less range than weapons like the N-Zap and Splattershot, Squelcher's semi-inconsistent accuracy, Gloogas being a slow 3 hit, and Tetras having abysmal accuracy.

Really, it's just the Dapples which are pretty much objectively better than its closest shooter equivilent, the Sploosh, comparing just the base weapon.

The roll is the new mechanic with this class, and honestly, the rolls are really the saving grace of the class as well.
Sorry, I worded my sentence in a weird way. Intended message: What's the point of dualies if they're basically their gun versions except they can dodge roll?

I tested the Splat Dualies in the Testing Range, and I found no difference between range of Splattershot and Splat Dualies. Dualie Squelcher is obvious, Glooga is okay, and Tetras are just there for fun. I agree with the dapples, but what's the point of a new class, which has more variants than an actually interesting class (Brellas), if they're just worse/better versions of their counterparts with dodge rolls?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Sorry, I worded my sentence in a weird way. Intended message: What's the point of dualies if they're basically their gun versions except they can dodge roll?

I tested the Splat Dualies in the Testing Range, and I found no difference between range of Splattershot and Splat Dualies. Dualie Squelcher is obvious, Glooga is okay, and Tetras are just there for fun. I agree with the dapples, but what's the point of a new class, which has more variants than an actually interesting class (Brellas), if they're just worse/better versions of their counterparts with dodge rolls?
Splat Dualies' range is indeed slightly shorter. Not my much, but it is indeed less than other weapons with a display 50 range (even the Dark Tetras outrange it). If you compare the range in which weapons deal damage, you'll notice a slight difference. It's range lies between Splattershot Jr. and Splattershot (since basically everything except super close ranged weapons got a range nerf in Splatoon 2).

As to your point about this new class, dodge rolling is the point. That's the entire premise of it. They're a type of shooter that trade off something for mobility options with perks. That and it fits the checklist of dual wield weapon. I'm not complaining here, they're stylish.

Could they do more with Brella, probably. We just got a new Slosher and Splatling, those classes also capped off with only three variants in Splatoon 1.
Heck, not counting Brushes as part of the Roller class, Rollers also only had 3 variants in Splatoon 1 too.

Last edited:

Weavile

Inkster Jr.
I somewhat agree with this. Clash Blaster is a death up-close, but for it to get to that position, it needs a lot of turf coverage. This means that people should just paint the $!#@%*# floor and not focus on kills. The opposite happens for rapid blaster, where it is death from far, so flanking or sub-strafing could work against it.

The 4k, Luna, Squiffer, and Carbon need a buff. All of them except Carbon need an extreme buff because they just feel like direct downgrades of existing weapons.

However, I still don't get why Tenta Missiles is considered bad or terrible. Arguments against it is that it's slow and doesn't do anything. It takes around 2 seconds to use it on all four players, and all the weapons that have tenta missiles are fast splatters, so you have an answer if someone comes attacking you. However, some people say that it's easy to attack you when you're aiming, but that's like saying the same thing for Sting Ray. Besides, you should have seen then coming towards you when you're using the special.
Also, knowing the positions of enemies and your teammates can help you locate sharks, and you can combine it with other specials so enemies have less chances to run away without getting splatted. Maybe people don't like it because it's like the Tenta Brella; it's supportive and looks worse compared to other specials at first glance.

Well, I agree with the counters to Chargers, but the maps now are getting better for Chargers to get control of (New Albacore, Shellendorf, MakoMart, etc.), and I still don't get why Sting Ray hasn't been nerfed yet. Dualies also don't make sense to me, as they literally are guns that can basically teleport.
I personally think that Tenta Missiles are considered bad because the things it can do other stuff can do it better. If you want to scatter enemies use Bomb Launcher where you still can use your main weapon, Ink storm which you can throw it and get back to the fight quicker than activating missiles and immediately firing them , a bomb is available more often or ray which is more likely to get more splats if you know how to use it well. Revealing your opponent's location can be awkard for you since you'll be safer if you use it farther away from the action and the marker is only in eyeshot of your team (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use missile weapons much) so if you want tracking use a point sensor. They aren't as effective as other specials.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Splat Dualies' range is indeed slightly shorter. Not my much, but it is indeed less than other weapons with a display 50 range (even the Dark Tetras outrange it). If you compare the range in which weapons deal damage, you'll notice a slight difference. It's range lies between Splattershot Jr. and Splattershot (since basically everything except super close ranged weapons got a range nerf in Splatoon 2).
The accuracy is also an issue. It's much harder to get both reticles on an opponent than just one. And the post-roll focus period is very short and leaves you motionless (except for the Squelchers).

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The accuracy is also an issue. It's much harder to get both reticles on an opponent than just one. And the post-roll focus period is very short and leaves you motionless (except for the Squelchers).
I wouldn't say too much so when it comes to accuracy. While the Splat Dualies has two reticles, they're both individually very accurate and fairly consistent with little shot deviation. I'd say the Splat Dualies has a better time hit confirming than the Splattershot.

But yah, I had forgotten to mention that dualie rolls come with end lag which also balances them.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326

As to your point about this new class, dodge rolling is the point. That's the entire premise of it. They're a type of shooter that trade off something for mobility options with perks. That and it fits the checklist of dual wield weapon. I'm not complaining here, they're stylish.

Could they do more with Brella, probably. We just got a new Slosher and Splatling, those classes also capped off with only three variants in Splatoon 1.
Heck, not counting Brushes as part of the Roller class, Rollers also only had 3 variants in Splatoon 1 too.
I don't see it. The Splattershot's range and Splat Dualies' range are the exact same, even in the testing range. I went up to the balloon dummy on the right, and inched closer to it while using the Splattershot until it hit it. Then, I switched to the Splat Dualies and it hit it as well.
Also this website says that the range is the same. However, I don't know what's wrong with the Tetra dualies' page, but even though it says it has 50 range, this website says it has 58. Furthermore, in game, the bar for range on the it is actually a little longer than the Splat Dualies.

I don't really play many shooters, so I never really knew about dual-wielding weapons. I guess if Nintendo needs to fill the dual-wielding class, then so be it (Still no excuse to have Dualie Squelchers to be able to dodge roll with almost no penalty!).

I hope they do more with the Brella because Nintendo can do some crazy things with it between the shield and the shotgun part of it. I had this crazy idea of a Brella called the Future Brella in which it's brella gets bigger the more ink you shoot into it. Although, a new brush would be nice, and even though we already got a new roller and charger, a new one of those would be great as well.

I personally think that Tenta Missiles are considered bad because the things it can do other stuff can do it better. If you want to scatter enemies use Bomb Launcher where you still can use your main weapon, Ink storm which you can throw it and get back to the fight quicker than activating missiles and immediately firing them , a bomb is available more often or ray which is more likely to get more splats if you know how to use it well. Revealing your opponent's location can be awkard for you since you'll be safer if you use it farther away from the action and the marker is only in eyeshot of your team (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use missile weapons much) so if you want tracking use a point sensor. They aren't as effective as other specials.
I guess so, but Tenta Missiles can be used like bomb launcher from farther away, out of danger.

Ink storm, I guess so, although I like to think that you can just run away from Ink Storm while Tenta Missiles follow you until they're finished.

I also don't use missiles much (I don't like the weapons with them), so I guess point sensor can be considered better for tracking, but it consumes 60% ink. I'll try playing some more with Tenta Missiles and see how it goes.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
my biggest problem is snipers, i just don't want them on my team the game is so fast now that u have to be elite elite to not get over run. i actually wish the game was a bit slower to involved them more i win at a very high rate in x with out the sniper and with they average 4 kills only and no ground cover. .I know there are some sniper that defy what i'm saying but i'm just stero typing in general of the meta for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom