• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What has changed your life the most?

G

girigiriHERO

This is more of a personal post than anything else, but I thought it'd be nice to share since I've never told anyone.

Has anything changed your life so much that you can't imagine being without it (not applying to anything animate). For me, while it sounds absurd, is Japanese Idol Pop music SPECIFICALLY.

I've listened to Japanese music as far back as the mid-90s, but until AKB48 emerged on the scene, it didn't affect me in such a manner. AKB48, whether you love or hate them, brought a new type of Idol Pop never heard prior and spawned so many other bands. While I didn't listen to them until 2008 (they originated in 2005) their music just warms my heart. Sure, they sing about love and/or completely nonsensical things, but the actual music itself has made me a happier person day in and day out. The others bands they have spawned as well (MomoKuro wouldn't exist if it weren't for AKB) brought that same type of music. I'd imagine if modern Idol Pop didn't exist, I'd be a far different person. A lot my friends always ask why I'm so happy, and I can safely say that music is one of the reasons why. When I hear the drab garbage played on North American radio stations I can't imagine that affecting me in a positive manner. I also believe this is directly related to culture. The work culture in Japan is insane (12 hour work days are normal) and this music is what strives a lot of people. If you think this type of music was limited to "otaku" you are VERY wrong. All my friends are Japanese, male and female, and come from different walks of life with different backgrounds and they all love the message Idol Pop gives and they are far from what anyone would consider "otaku".

EDIT: fun story. My friends and I used to be avid Tekken Tag Tournament 2 players. We never knew what we were doing, we just played it for fun. I replaced all the music in-game with AKB48 tracks. Even a few of my friends who are DJs who don't listen to Idol Pop had the reaction "what the hell is this?" initially, but eventually started to like it and never said a word...possibly they were a bit embarassed ww. We played this game for nearly a year straight, nobody ever complained about the music and I had a circle of around 50 people that would regularly come over to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom