• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What is your Achilles Heel?

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
We all have at least one (heck, even Achilles did)...

I have three:

First, I love playing ranked but play even when stages/modes don't suit my style. I am a perpetual S/A+ lately. If I just played Rainmaker I could be S+. If I just played TC, I could be C+. I lack the desire to limit my ranked matches. I keep telling myself I will master the tower. So far, so so bad.

Second, I lose my head and go too aggressive at least once a match and get splatted. In every game I lose I seem to do it with like 45 seconds left. I am impatient and abandon the strategy that got us in the lead. I usually tell myself just before: "yeah, you will splat this guy then immediately get your special and then it's over baby!" Then - despite my positive visualization - I am outranged and I give the other team a fifth squid: Mr. Mo Mentum. They win, we lose. And I know it was my fault. Ugh.

Third, when I lose, I question everything and then make dumb changes that handicap me. I change weapon. I change gear. I even change my white boy inkling into a beautiful black squidgirl. If she loses, I change her eye color. None of it matters. In fact, after I drop 3 more games I go back to my initial set and start winning. Damn you Splatoon with all your fun and diverse fashion choices!

What dumb things do you do?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like to challenge Krakens with my weapons, specially after the second round of nerfs, and to be honest it usually pays off now that I'm more used to it. That said, I've had my share of times when I misjudged the distance between the Kraken and myself and gotten splatted for it. The worse one was when I ran towards a grating floor on Arowanna Mall and felt safe a bit too close to the normal floor. Turns out Krakens can jump, who knew? o_O

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i am obsessed with hunting down chargers when i'm on squiffer. a lot of the time i'm good enough that i can take them out and get big pushes, but against a charger whose skill equals mine there's not much i can do but die a lot.

i tend to play very aggressively as a way to make up for a lack of trust in my teammates, and oftentimes this can work against me. if i'm in aggression mode and the enemy pulls a bubbler, kraken, or sometimes even just a splash wall (which i tend to get killed under or trapped on the bad side of) it's pretty much an automatic death.

carbon roller. i always seem to let my guard down thinking there's ink in between me and them, but somehow they can essentially swim through enemy ink to pull into range into an instant when i'm still aiming where they were two seconds before.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Close quarters combat. Heck of a weakness to have, right? My reaction time's pretty good but I invariably fail close up quick-draw duels, what with how most weapons have their kill times measured in second fractions. It's something I'm always working on and getting better at, but I took up the long-range role partially to compensate for this fault, and that's worked beautifully.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I tend to overestimate my range .-. Which sucks, because I mostly main short ranged weapons

I also tend to panic in close quarters. Especially with the Luna Blaster (which I'm just now trying out)

Not to mention my clumsiness with moving my Inkling :/ I tend to fall off places and all that

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is really bad, but... CQC with a swift-moving opponent. Most of the time it's when I'm dumb enough to take on an opponent even though they can see me coming from a mile away; all they have to do is dodge my charge, and inevitably it'll take me a while to realize what happened and adjust mine aim accordingly, by which time they've already probably taken me out.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
This is super pathetic, but I'm terrible at dealing with other chargers when I'm using a charger. I tend to play super defensively when the other team has a charger and barely help out at all. It's a terrible habit I have. I go from being a force to be reckon with, to a scared little mouse. Don't even get me started on what I do if the whole other team is just chargers. (That's why Moray Towers is still my least favorite even though I'm an E-Liter main)

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I have an uncanny ability to make a stupid mistake whenever I'm left to push the objective by myself...

literally

no one is around it but me, my teammates are off making sure the entire enemy squad is held back for me to make an easy push aaaand
I trip up or fall in the water.

I'm atleast decent at everything else, coordinating specials, map awareness, dodging enemy fire...
butt

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
My Achilles Heel are 3 things
First my Wii u pad is broke so there are literally times I tap my control stick and then start walking off a stage or miss easy to make jumps because of it:confused:
Second, I am either a Elite player or a total idiot when it comes to rainmaker and I will play way to aggressive and get trades I really shouldn't be going for (working on a quick respawn / defense up gear to counter this right now)
Lastly, I do the same @splooshlover and change weapon and gear quite often but by now I have preset gear for the weapon I like to use and the change in play style went from an Achilles Heel to a scream strength over time :cool:

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I'm a rather impatient person when I'm using my brushes. There are many times when I rush into something without thinking when it probably would have been better to wait. I have a lot of unnecessary deaths at the end of the match that could have easily been avoided if I had been a bit more patient. I do love Quick Respawn though so it kind of works to cover that rather large weakness. x)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I know it's an easy thing to blame it on anything but myself, but it's always been lag. I cannot get used to it like other people do, having the enemy live 1 second extra after taking ohko damage can mean the difference between staying alive or a trade. It's why i rarely use short ranged weapons.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
that phenomenon where the game shows something like, say.... a charger is aiming in the complete opposite direction, implying they cannot see me on their screen, so i rush at them and all of a sudden i explode even though the laser pointer never touched me

this is probably lag but idk for sure so (someone help me out here ???)

Thunderlipps

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TaylorWiiU2013
My achilles heel is BAD Japanese players. I seriously CANNOT take much more of these stupid ****ers who have ZERO clue how to play ranked. I literally watched some ******* take the Rainmaker and squid party on top of our cap while we were down by less than 10 distance with over a minute to go. Previous game a guy is standing on spawn jumping splatting his carbon roller around the BACK of our base area. WTF!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Two things:

- When a CQC situation doesn't go well and my shots don't hit, I tend to keep trying to shoot and make up for my misses rather than swim strafing or repositioning.
- When I start getting splatted to any appreciable extent, even 2 deaths in a match, I'll start to lose my cool incredibly quickly and my performance nosedives.

Because of this, I've picked up the Heavies and I've never looked back. Kill potential and range for days, super easy to discourage people from approaching you, and I can deal with the charge mechanic.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Dynamo Rollers. It's a low hanging fruit to complain about, but I seriously cannot cope with battling one. I just don't know how to approach one, the animation is hard to read, slight lag means instant death, and the way they move in the air is amazingly frustrating. And I will admit, they intimidate me, especially with the range most of my best weapons have.

During Fest, I was convinced all the nerfs to it have done nothing to curb its viciousness. I would know, I had a team of three Dynamos, and myself (a wasabi) win about 10 matches in a row. In most cases, a team with the same weapon like that will probably be countered easily, but nope, we steamrolled (pun probably intended) right over the competition.

And note that we were in the 1800 range of Splatfest power, our enemies were not easy foes. But team Dynamo (and a little Wasabi) really killed it.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Dynamo Rollers. It's a low hanging fruit to complain about, but I seriously cannot cope with battling one. I just don't know how to approach one, the animation is hard to read, slight lag means instant death, and the way they move in the air is amazingly frustrating. And I will admit, they intimidate me, especially with the range most of my best weapons have.

During Fest, I was convinced all the nerfs to it have done nothing to curb its viciousness. I would know, I had a team of three Dynamos, and myself (a wasabi) win about 10 matches in a row. In most cases, a team with the same weapon like that will probably be countered easily, but nope, we steamrolled (pun probably intended) right over the competition.

And note that we were in the 1800 range of Splatfest power, our enemies were not easy foes. But team Dynamo (and a little Wasabi) really killed it.
I'd say you have to aproach a Dynamo like you would any long range weapon. First and foremost, not head on. Try taking them by surprise with a flank attack or force them to move with a Sub/Special Weapon. In my last Splatfest match I got to see how one Dynamo held back my whole team as they played a little king of the hill on Walleye Warehouse, while I did the same to a degree with my Heavy Metal Splatling at our base. It's strongest point is the giant wall of ink it creates, so do your best to go around that wall instead of trying to break it with a hammer (which is also why they often stay away from the battlezone)

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'd say you have to aproach a Dynamo like you would any long range weapon. First and foremost, not head on. Try taking them by surprise with a flank attack or force them to move with a Sub/Special Weapon. In my last Splatfest match I got to see how one Dynamo held back my whole team as they played a little king of the hill on Walleye Warehouse, while I did the same to a degree with my Heavy Metal Splatling at our base. It's strongest point is the giant wall of ink it creates, so do your best to go around that wall instead of trying to break it with a hammer (which is also why they often stay away from the battlezone)
Good advice. While I usually keep myself from charging them, I will do so sometimes when I think I can splat them before they can swing. But what really trips me up is how they move in the air, turn, and swing. I've attacked many a dynamo from the side, only to get splatted, or at best, trade. I need to work on my timing with them I guess. The intimidation factors into it too.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Good advice. While I usually keep myself from charging them, I will do so sometimes when I think I can splat them before they can swing. But what really trips me up is how they move in the air, turn, and swing. I've attacked many a dynamo from the side, only to get splatted, or at best, trade. I need to work on my timing with them I guess. The intimidation factors into it too.
Dynamos always swing a tad bit faster than you think. To be honest I wouldn't try to take on a Dynamo one on one, specially if they already saw me, but that might just be me with my terrible accuracy. Any good long range player will know how to force the enemy to play their game, so the best thing to do is end the game before it begins, and that's coming from someone who uses long range weapons exclusively nowadays

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom