• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What is your list of best to worst maps?

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Alright everyone, so now that all of the on disc maps have been released, I figured that we should each list the maps for our favorites to least favorites.

Note: These can be seperated for each gamemode, however I will just make one list.

Here is the list of maps: (No particular order)
  • Urchin Underpass
  • Bluefin Depot
  • Kelp Dome
  • Port Mackerel
  • Saltspray Rig
  • Walleye Warehouse
  • Moray Towers
  • Arowana Mall
  • Camp Triggerfish
  • Blackbelly Skatepark
Here is my list:
  1. Moray Towers: To me (a sniper) this is the map that defines Splatoon. This map should be on all of the covers of the copy of the game
  2. Walleye Warehouse: This is the most even map in the whole game for all types of weapons. It's good for Snipers, shooters, blasters, and rollers. I love how tight this map is.
  3. Urchin Underpass: When the game was first announced I thought this was the stupidest looking map considering that this was the map that was in the demo. I love this map, especially for Tower Control. Probably my favorite Tower Control map.
  4. Kelp Dome: This was actually my second favorite level in the single-player (after the boss of course), so I really like this level in multiplayer.
  5. Blackbelly Skatepark: This is by far the hardest map for chargers, (at least for me) I still like it, but its a little to easy to sway in little time.
  6. Camp Triggerfish: Two Words. Wide Open. nuff send
  7. Saltspray Rig: In my opinion this map is a little too large but I like it for the verticality of the map.
  8. Bluefin Depot: This is the only map on this list I'm in different about. It's kind of interesting to see how this map turns out in the end
  9. Arowana Mall: This is the point where I start to dislike maps. This map is just way to hard to retake when you are down. There is one choke point and it is super hard to contain
  10. Port (ugh) Mackerel: This map. There are no words to describe this map. How do you make something way to non-vertical? Release Port Mackerel. It's just so bad.

Alrighty, there is my list. What is your order?

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
idk which ones are good or bad objectively, if they are objectively anything. Also, please note that my thoughts and opinions will be primarily based on Turf War. Because the ranked match objectives are 2gimmicky4me.

Saltspray Rig: Probably my favorite map in the game. One of the few maps where getting boxed in at your base is pretty much a non-existent issue.
Port Mackerel: A generic cubed map with moving trucks that occasionally ****block me. I just love the sheer simplicity of this stage. Even better is how sidepaths don't reach far enough, reducing ambush potential dramatically. I'd love the map even more if they didn't have it in the rotations all the bloody time when the game first came out.
Ancho-V Games: This stage reminds me a lot of Walleye Warehouse and Blackbelly Skatepark (lower on the list), with the big difference being that there's fans all over the place. One slowly takes you to a pathway that leads to a part of the map that long-ranged weapons can exploit to put pressure and harassment on the enemy team, with another serving as interesting means of defense. The latter detail ends up placing this level above the aforementioned Warehouse, as it's not skinny enough to get boxed into your base like in WW (your base is in fact inaccessible to the opposing team, putting this above Blackbelly as well), and snipers do not become godlike entities upon reaching the Sauron's Tower in the middle of the stage like in the other two maps.
Blackbelly Skatepark: I don't know why I like this stage much more now. Maybe it's just because the Bucket and Splataling Gun are terribly ineffective in this stage, yet people are eager to use them anyway because "Yay, New Stuff!" Maybe the patch simply sneaked in some secret mechanic that makes this level actually playable as a result. Perhaps I've simply accomplished the unachievable task that is to "git gud." Whatever the reason, it's much better now. It still has the flaws of having that obnoxious tower sitting in the middle of the stage, yet it's much more back-and-forth in terms of what team has control over it, eliminating it's overall oppressive nature. The two pathways aren't as consistently used to flank my team in anymore. Interestingly enough, the better team will be blatantly obvious, as close calls are about as common as unicorn-dragon hybrids that liked Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric: Not completely non-existent, but rare enough to be glanced over by american political campaigns.
Moray Towers: What keeps me from liking this map is simple: it's a long, narrow level, making recovery (ie getting back into the fray after getting splat) an arduous task in and of itself. Since it's almost pure hallway, there's not much room to boost your special gauge. naively placed inkstrikes are the only unmarked territory that you can score points on while on the way. Not to mention the height disparity of it all making it extremely difficult to decipher where things are. What keeps me from disliking this level is also simple: the length of the map demands you super jump at least once or twice. The aforementioned difficulty in getting specials apply true to the enemy team as well. This creates an environment where Krakens, Inzookas and Bubblers don't get to be as big of a problem as they are on other maps. The way the map is built lures scrublords into wasting the few Inkstrikes they do get on worthless sectors that will be inked over immediately. The height of everything allows for weapons like Jet Squelchers, .96 Gals and (of course) Splataling Guns to ink entire corridors with ease.
Bluefin Depot: I suggest not letting your team lets itself get flanked by concentrating all of its effort into one lane. A criticism I would wager would be that once the enemy swims their way up to your base, it's virturally game over, but this is nothing new for maps, so I suppose it's fitting.
Camp Triggerfish: One big plus is how different it looks from the rest of the game. Whereas you have the urban and harbor environments of the multiplayer, or a urban-meets-cyberfunk feel for the singleplayer campaign, Camp Triggerfish (Or my cute little pet name for it, Camp Triggeredfish) goes for a more outdoorsy style. I also appreciate how this is one of the few maps that has a last-minute addition as the match goes on. The major criticism I'd level at this stage is that it feels extremely difficult to protect the sideline of the nearby area because it literally doesn't open until the last minute. I have no idea how we're supposed to keep the enemy from ambushing us from behind thus far.
Flounder Heights: One oddity with this map is that it's one of the few stages where my preferred methods of getting around usually involve inking the walls. Seriously, height management is a very important factor in getting around on this map. This makes FH one of the worst maps for me to use Rollers in, the other being Camp Triggerfish. What ranks this map as Below-Average as opposed to Above-Average for me is that I always feel like I can't keep a lid on the match when I play this. The enemy always finds some way another to sneak past my team and wreck the place.
Walleye Warehouse: The little hallways to the side create a needlessly hostile atmosphere where no fun can be had unless that lame little corridor off to the side has been closed, locked, sealed, and kept 10,000 kilometers out of the other teams reach. Also, I remember when I was a young lad in the olden days and Rollers were the bane of my existence. Since then, Chargers are starting to takeover the role as the "gratuitous pain in the tentacles of which I do so ever want to prioritize making the lives and gaming experience of anyone with the audacity to use it a living hell." weapon class. Almost every time I die to one of these, I feel my sanity momentarily shut down as I feel the strong desire/urge to reach into the game and wring the offending inkling's neck like a rubber towel and scream "THAT WASN'T VERY NICE, YA KNOW".
Kelp Dome: I used to think this was my favorite stage in Splatoon, but a couple of bad matches later, this stage just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Enemies blend in too well with the background when on the catwalks; the circular nature of the level's layout makes it difficult to pinpoint where the enemy could come from, and for some reason in this stage more then others, enemies feel inclined to relentlessly pursue you to the other end of pluto.
Urchin Underpass: At first, this map was sorta interesting because of all the neat paths I felt I could take, but over time I've been in enough matches to become passive aggressive towards it. First off, we have the fences. There is never a time where I am able to simply swim through them. It is always a slog to navigate through, to the point where it's almost just a wall to me. Next, there's those sniper nests. If I leave it alone for even a fraction of a second, there is a high likelihood of my team getting roflstomped because the enemy spills out of that area like a household pipe bursting from the winter frost. If I do go through it, the enemy flanks it and I die that way. In general, maybe it's just me, but I've noticed when my team wins it's because we've barely secured the center, but when my team loses the enemy has not only taken the pit in the middle of the stage but a chunk of our area the size of which also rivals the size of Russia and Charlie Sheen's ego combined. I can't help but feel that that's a bit too much. The map redesign, however, has somehow made this stage even worse: the chokepoint sitting between the pit and the area your team has an advantage in has been widened so it's easier for scumbags to slip by, the sniper nest itself has been widened which puts snipers using it at an even bigger disadvanage when ambushed in the nest then before, and there's two outlets from the sniper nest overlooking the rest of the stage that further complicates the sniper's decision. If you main chargers, then avoid this map at all costs.
Arowana Mall: With the time that has past, my opinion on this level hasn't changed: I still ****ing hate this awful stage. Right off the bat you have a centerpiece that's impossible to defend or retake because to get to it, you have to fight a literal and figurative uphill battle to get to it, and that's just if you're taking the direct approach. Should you decide to take the high road, you will most likely be met with a most terrible fate of being bulldozed and the enemy will then proceed to take mid through flanking. This is all assuming, of course, they don't flank you anyway from whatever lane you're not defending. To pile on to the already abominable of map itself, I don't have that many connection issues, but of the few I've had, this map has given me the most internet BS out of any of them. Just seeing this stage show up in the Squid Sister announcements alone brings me a sense of dread. The only thing that could make this map worse would be if they put up a stupid Sniper Tower in the dead-center of the map.

{WIP}
Hammerhead Bridge: [Better with high-firing rate weapons.]
Museum D'Alfonsino: Haven't played on Turf Wars.
Mahi-Mahi Resort: [Has a sniping perch. The pits annoy me, despite not being a "newbie"]
Piranha Pit: Doesn't seem to be all that much of a pit. I don't particularly care for the conveyor belts all that much, but they do work in limiting the designers, so they can't put in as much annoying nonsense.

Last edited:

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
Kelp Dome - This stage is so big, which makes it an easy cash grab. I prefer to sneak around my enemies and gain points, which is perfect for this stage. Getting 1500+ points on this stage is easy. Definitely my favorite stage.

Camp Triggerfish - Not only is this stage big, it defines venturing into enemy territory so well. If it was as big and as versatile as Kelp Dome, it'd probably be my favorite.

Moray Towers - Another stage built on invading enemy territory, which I'm a huge fan of. There are so many options to advancing.

Arowana Mall - If you play strategic, this stage makes it easy to invade territory and score a lot of points. There's just a lot to this stage that I like, especially since I use the Aerospray RG.

Saltspray Rig - I like the design and options in this arena, especially the reflective arena design as opposed to completely mirrored.

Blackberry Skatepark - I used to hate this stage for its curvaceous design. But its strategic design and fastpaced formula combined with the easiest invasion of enemy territory yet makes this also a great course.

Bluefin Depot - So many options and routes and easy invasion of enemy territory makes this a dynamic and strategic course.

Urchin Underpass - This is where I enter the "meh" stages. This one is fine, but just kinda flat. I wish there were more routes to take and it was more dynamic, though the side routes are the seller point for me.

Walleye Warehouse - I don't have a problem with this stage: I actually quite like this one a lot. It's just too tight, as I find myself taking the side route over and over and over.

Port Mackerel - This one has a lot of strategy built into it, but otherwise nothing else really going for it. Pure strategy gets boring after awhile, once the repetitive design decreases its replay value. I wish it was a bit more dynamic. I don't hate this stage, though.

It should be noted that I like all the stages.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I don't dislike any maps. I like them all for what they have to offer but yes I do have favourites. Green is for great, orange is for good and red is for neutral. No particular order.

Blackbelly Skatepark - This is one map where I think it absolutely encourages creativity. Because there are so much walls and paths to traverse Squids who can find an alternate route I think are just rewarded for it. Plus, I've found decent results across the board with all classes of weapons or in other words there is a way to play effectively with all weapon types here in my opinion.
Walleye Warehouse - The most well rounded map in my opinion. There is no clear weapon that excells. Its small but not condensed. It is open enough but still has lots of flanking opportunities. Pure skill and teamwork is what I think will win the game here no matter what mode.
Kelp Dome - The largest map of all that is open and with depth. The grated paths make you really exposed but also give you higher ground. And there are multiple way to get into the centre making map awareness more involved than others.
Bluefin Depot - I for one really like the 2 separate middle zones. It means a more agressive nature to the map from my experience with players going through the enemy's turf to flank people on the opposite middle zone. And when they do have control its not like you can't take it back. Your side of the map is higher ground. I think it creates for an exciting match.
Port Mackerel - I actually really like this map. At first it looks like a very close quarters map but it also has quite a few advantages for long ranged weapons thanks to the long straight paths that they can really capitalise on. Its one of my favourites for Turf Wars and Splat Zones but not for TC.
Camp Triggerfish - Still gotta get more time on this map but so far I'm liking it. It is easily the prettiest of all maps. In terms of design I like that there is a last minute addition. Personally I would have prefered if the map had the floodgates down all the time. Then at least you would have multiple ways to traverse the map instead of just one the majority of the time. That's really my only complaint. Unless you want to camp on the fence you only have one way to progress making flanks very unlikely. It's my favourite in TC though.
Moray Towers - Its nice. The vertical structure makes it stand out a lot but that's it.
Saltspray Rig - Cool map through and through but with some glaring and confusing aspects. For one, why isn't the top part of the map ever used outside of Turf War. Really my only complaint. Its a cool arena style map in the middle section with multiple ways to enter.
Arowana Mall - Due to this map's narrow and long layout kills are by far the most often here. All it really takes to win here is a quad kill if the match is about neutral. Comebacks are possible but much more of an uphill battle than others.
Urchin Underpass - This is probably the only map where I believe grabbing the centre area wins you the game with decent defense. I would love this map if it wasn't for those chokepoints. If you have the centre I find it extremely easy to defend and frustrating to take it back because there is no going around those chokepoints. Sure there are multiple ways to get to the middle area but every one is still very easy to defend. In Tower Control though I like it because you at least have to be aggressive and venture past the chokepoints.

Edit: change red to okay not neutral. I still like Arowana Mall and Urchin to an extent.
Edit 2: These are subject to change. Like right now I'm changing Arowana and Saltspray. Arowana because I think the tug of war aspect plays nicely with TC and Saltspray because the strategy is shallow. Grabbing the centre is key and is hard to take back once lost.

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I don't really have any strong opinions on (dis)liking these maps, so barring some exceptions I'll just go with most to least interested/comfortable fighting in, assuming Turf Wars versions:
  • Camp Triggerfish: Really liking the technical design of the stage. It's decentralized but in a way that's more engaging and fun to traverse than Bluefin Depot. You've got the Tetris S-Block-like structure with a horizontal pair of bridges connected to a vertical path to each base, and there are floodgates that come down and connect the area near the spawn point to the far end of the other half at a minute left. It lends itself to some awesome strategies and amazing ways for one team to come back at the last moment and win it all, if not utterly dominate them from the beginning. Oh, and its currently the biggest map even though it doesn't look that way. More points for more cash and quicker grinding!
  • Kelp Dome: Man, look at all that space! There sure are lots of plants that need the warmth. Anyway, Kelp Dome is very awesome for Turf Wars since it's not that difficult to break 1000p in one match even if you lose, something a Splash-O-Matic can easily do. The grates also add a layer of depth to the match, though because of how they're set up I can easily splat someone standing on them from below if they don't do me in first.
  • Blackbelly Skatepark: I am actually surprised this is the smallest arena instead of Walleye Warehouse since it looks so vast. There are many ways to go, and inking each area is a snap. The center in particular provides a very good view of the map, though it isn't invulnerable to chargers, Squelchers and anyone who can get there sneakily. I bet when it's not in rotation it makes for a really rad skating venue.
  • Arowana Mall: Not many people tend to like this stage, but I found it OK. True, you have to get through the center to progress because of water pools but taking the side paths helps with making sneak attacks there, and if you go from one to the other you can easily get to the other side without having to go through the low route. The perches are also nice for preventing the enemy from doing so, too.
  • Urchin Underpass: This stage has some really sneaky paths to the center, especially the one on the left-hand side of the home base. I can still recall taking them to get there quickly or getting splatted by someone who found it a good spot to shoot from. The center also has that two-tier thing going on where you can hide in the lower tier and come up to the upper tier for a surprise attack, though I don't take much advantage of it as I should. Oh, and the low-hanging wires are great places for Sprinklers since you can put one there, have a foe get distracted trying to shoot it down and then splat them.
  • Saltspray Rig: While I've seen this stage in the Testfire and thus played it so often that it no longer surprises me, I still like that it's not rotationally symmetrical like all the other maps. It also has bonus points for the paths that you can take to get to the three central areas, though somehow the upper two tend to matter more in overall turf coverage than the lower one.
  • Bluefin Depot: Bluefin Depot's grates are placed very precariously over water, and unlike Camp Triggerfish you can't really use them to get to the other side since the stage's still built linearly. As for the centers, they do provide a kink in the usual "keep the center ours" shtick but don't have Camp Triggerfish levels of nuance and design, only offering a cross of walls to hide behind. Yeah, this is pretty much Camp Triggerfish's stuffy little sibling.
  • Moray Towers: Oh man, that verticality! It sure brings to mind some awesome parkour-like movements with leaping off and climbing buildings, and there are a couple convenient places to hide for recovery or a surprise attack. That said, chargers are going to wreck me there, especially if they happen to be E-Liter 3Ks belonging to someone skilled in them. An Inkzooka will just barely reach the other side from the lowest left-hand building before the center, since that's where those chargers usually stick around.
  • Port Mackerel: Those tight corridors are pretty nasty to traverse through because you can't ink the tarp on the crates to move quickly. Then again, they're perfect for using an Inkzooka (or a charger) to floor foes and provide paths into their turf. Otherwise, pretty plain Jane as far as levels go.
  • Walleye Warehouse: By this point, I think I've seen this stage a bit too often. True, I did play the Testfires so that may have had a hand in it. Yet still I think that it's really just an all too simple and flattish stage for brawls even with the hidden corridors on each side. Kinda wish they did something interesting with it like the moving box platforms in the beta edition.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Kelp Dome: the big points stage because of it's size and all. able to sneak past enemies and surprise them for the kills. The grate pathway may be good for covering turf but sadly I feel it's putting yourself in the open to be killed.

Walleye Warehouse: A standard course yes... and one of the courses that I'm used to since the testffire next to saltspray so I sort of know my way around it, but I feel it's one of the best maps for all modes

Camp Triggerfish:
Yes it's a new map, but I had a really good time playing it and especially with the floodgates lowering at the last minute is pretty smart of the developers. Plus it takes a lot out of you just to invade enemy territory by going through the congested area.

Moray Towers:
More like E-Liter Towers you mean? but at least the concept of it is nice and all plus there are different ways into invading the opposing side

Urchin Underpass:
I hate this stage but at the same time I love it for many reasons I can't explain.

Blackbelly Skatepark:
Another love/hate stage. I tend to lag here sometimes which is one of my reasons for hating but inkbrushes do have some mobility here since they can hide and spread ink from sprinklers [also a vantage point course]

Bluefin Depot:
I used to hate this course, but eventually I became a little fond of it since the main factor here is awareness.

Saltspray Rig:
Another course from the testfire... which is nice and all but I begin to hate it nowadays since it's just a race to the top portion of the course

Port Mackerel:
There are times that the trucks will save you from your death, but there are times when the trucks can and will be the death of you... plus another laggy stage for me .-.

Arowana Mall:
I feel that and also Mackerel are too cramped for me plus both of them are really charger friendly...

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I play mostly ranked, so I´ll rank them in regards to that:
  • Walleye Warehouse: very funny map with constant action. Whatever mode it is your playing it never takes you more than a few seconds to get to where the big fight is.
  • Saltspray Rig: I´m putting this one here because I remember it being the first map I played in the Test Fire and it´s still as awesome as that day.
  • Urchin Underpass: At first I hated this map with all my heart when playing as charger, but I learnt to play in it and it became one of my favorite maps. I also love locking the enemy team out of the center with a roller or a Gal, or hiding in the wall and killing the enemy sniper in the perch by surprise.
  • Port Mackerel: Awesome map for sneaky tactics. It´s always great to jump from the top of one of the not-inkable containers and smash someone with a roller.
  • Blackbelly Skatepark: One of my favorite maps as a charger, it´s even better with the Dynamo Roller. I can get on the tower and dominate all the center of the map on my own while I see the enemies running away in fear under me.
  • Arowana Mall: I really don´t understand why this one gets that much hate...I like it, specially in TC where you have more access points to the enemy base.
  • Kelp Dome: I love this wide map, you can constantly swim around and blaze through it in a moment, invade the enemy´s base and enter the center from behind their backs.
  • Moray Towers: I hate it when there are good snipers and I´m using a roller, it´s so difficult to get to them :p Defending a ramp from above with the Dynamo Roller is great fun, as is climbing through unexpected walls in enemy territory to surprise them.
  • Bluefin Depot: I like this map for ranked, but hate it with all my soul in Turf War. If I get a hold and defend one of the centers, the enemy gets the other one, pushes through and inks our base. If I go there the place I was defending falls. If I go to paint the enemy´s base we lose the rest of the map. With a good team it may be fun, but during the last SplatFest playing here was outright frustrating every single time.
  • Camp Triggerfish: It´s only last because it´s the newest one and deserves more time before I can judge it, but at the moment I think it´s a really really awesome map. So many paths, vertical shortcuts, wide areas, closed areas, grates, water...it has everything!

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
NOTE: These are based mostly on turf war.

Saltspray Rig: Wide open, varied map with lots of side areas and corridors to ink, and a large area rather than chokepoints to guard.

Kelp Dome: Huge mazelike structure that encourages smaller skirmishes and leads to lots of specials. Grates provide transport at risk of vulnerability.

Flounder Heights: Nice open map, uses wall climbing really well and is well balanced.

Camp Triggerfish: Another large map, where getting splatted is important and you often fight from afar. The gates are a cool feature.

Moray Towers: long, almost vertical map with lots of narrow corridors and a hectic center.

Blackbelly Skatepark: Nice, neutral map with many elements. Fighting for the tower is always fun.

Bluefin Depot: The two areas force your team to divide your time, and make traveling even more key.

Port Mackerel: The corridors allow for interesting combat. I would put it higher if it did not ruin Brushes and Dynamos.

Arowanna Mall: Straight, but offers some side paths and sniping posts. Expect chaos in the center.

Urchin Underpass: Mostly neutral map, few features but a large center for big skirmishes.

Walleye Warehouse: Incredibly simple map, leads to nothing more than random combat at the center.

Edit: Added Flounder Heights

Last edited:

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I have a feeling Flounder Heights will be high up there, but here's my current rankings from worst to best:

10. Port Mackerel (the only one I truly don't really like, the others I just prefer some over the others)
9. Arowana Mall
8. Bluefin Deopt
7. Camp Triggerfish
6. Blackbelly Skatepark
5. Kelp Dome
4. Moray Towers
3. Walleye Warehouse
2. Urchin Underpass
1. Saltspray Rig

OmegaExcalibur~

Inkling
NNID
NaughtyPotatoowo
There's so much lag on Blackbelly Skatepark, it's not even funny.

10. Blackbelly Skatepark (lag, as said above)
9. Port Mackerel (those freaking trucks and surprise rollers)
8. Moray Towers (sniper's paradise)
7. Camp Triggerfish (a comeback map, which I kinda like... I guess...)
6. Saltspray Rig (once you control the top and central platform and defend it the whole match, you're basically done)
5. Bluefin Depot (this is a map where you can spawncamp, but otherwise, it's fine)
4. Urchin Underpass (after it was revamped, I like it, but before, it was well... meh)
3. Kelp Dome (the larger the map, the more points you get, and more points means faster level up, which I like)
2. Arowana Mall (overpowered for long range weapons, such as gals or squelchers, but I like it somewhat because I normally use long ranged weapons)
1. Walleye Warehouse ( I absolutely LOVE this map, because there's normally no spawncamping, no overkill matches, and it's fun imo)

NormalBear

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NormalB3ar
Best to worst:
10. BlackBelly Skatepark: I loathe this mostly because of the design and how A. The weirdest things happen here for me of clipping the ledges weirdly and being stuck. and B. The middle area with the tower just makes it dumb, too often it's This map that I get destroyed on.
9. Arowana Mall: Mostly lukewarm but what makes me despise it is Ranked. Splat Zone on this map is HORRID. And Rainmaker/Tower Control get pretty silly there.
8. Kelp Dome: I just don't like the shape. Another map dumb stuff always happens to me on.
7. Walleye Warehouse: Not great not bad, although I put it as 7th, this is the middle meh pick. Not much to say.
6. Moray Towers: I sorta like the idea and the verticality of the map, but I don't like it Because of that as well. It's an ok map but holy crap games on this one can go fine or go Horribly wrong.
5. Bluefin Depot: Totally ok map, much more of a basic layout, and ranked games on this are fun by how it is.
4. Urchin Underpass: Ok first version, but the revamp makes it a lot better. I find this the staple map of the game.
3. Saltspray Rig: Fun and the open layout makes it work. Sections of the map work it out to not turn as one-sided as some of the other maps.
2. Port Mackerel: This is pretty much Walleye Warehouse but with more stuff in between and the moving car things, making it a lot better and fun. Can't really get tired of it.
1. Camp Triggerfish: It's pretty good but what jumps it to first is how playing it on ranked is. It turns into pure hysteria, and with the walls you can get up to it doesn't choke up the map to making it impossible to turn a game around.

*Note, Flounder Heights is omitted because I need to play it more or it would be number one. I have yet to find stuff that angers me about it.

tene_sicarius

Full Squid
NNID
TeneBrisSicarius
1. Walleye Warehouse ( I absolutely LOVE this map, because there's normally no spawncamping, no overkill matches, and it's fun imo)
because there's normally no spawncamping
no spawncamping

What map are you playing on? Because I really want to play on this map. This sounds like the best map in the entire game. Is it Japan exclusive or something?

Also

5. Bluefin Depot (this is a map where you can spawncamp, but otherwise, it's fine)
I've only seen spawncamping here once. That was on ranked Rainmaer seconds before a Knockout, and only because there's another wall you can swim to skip the usual way to spawn. Going off Turf War and every other Ranked version of the map, there's a 10 second walk where you can't go into Squid form, everyone can see you coming up, and you have to push past the middle area first. I've never seen anyone else complain about spawncamping here, and spawncamping on Walleye is one of the largest problems with it.

Last edited:

Random Robot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AidanZam
1. Blackbelly Skatepark
This map is pure fun, and I think it's well balanced for pretty much everything, too.

2. Walleye Warehouse
Probably the most balanced map, works great for every game mode.

3. Urchin Underpass
Again, just a really solid and well balanced map.

4. Kelp Dome
A bit big, but still good all the same. I'm not a big fan of this map for tower control, though.

5. Arowana Mall
Good, but a bit too good for snipers.

6. Bluefin Depot
Well balanced, but I feel like there's a lot of wasted space in Splat Zones that could have been put to better use.

7. Flounder Heights
This is new, so I thought this seemed like a safe place to put it from what I've played on it so far. Very fun, but not sure how I like tower control or rain maker on this one.

8. Camp Triggerfish
It's kind of annoying how it splits into two sections, and there's not many ways to go between them. Not a fan of this level for rain maker.

9. Saltspray Rig
A lot of wasted room for ranked battles, but great for turf war. Also fine for splat zones.

10. Moray Towers
The map is too big, and I feel like snipers are too safe on this map. Being able to hit anyone with almost zero places to hide is extremely annoying.

11. Port Mackerel
Good for turf war, but that's about it. It's ok for rainmaker, but I don't like how it feels for tower control and splat zones.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
1. Flounder Heights: It's huge, and it's one of the best looking stages out there if you ask me! Fighting for the rooftops is always tense since there's a ton of room to get ambushed from the sides. It also balances things by having a lot of lookout points but at the same time allmost every wall is ink-able, leaving no place safe. Really, there should be more stages with a more natural enviroment to mix things up. Hoping i'll be able to see it next splatfest so i can play on it during nighttime!

2 Kelp Dome: Also one of my favorite stages, seems to favor every weapon type with a ton of ways to get ambushed and tons of opportunities for chargers to strike. The walkways are also fun to use, if you don't get splatted from below.

3. Arowana Mall: A charger-friendly map with a ton of high ground. Rainmakers can make a straight beeline to the pedestal, zones can get tricky if your opposing team has chargers. Also, the map itself is very pretty!

4. Saltspray Rig: A big map, with opportunity for chargers and short-range weps all the same. The struggle for the big spot in the north is always fun in turf war, too bad most of the stage gets unused in other modes. It's kind of ugly looking though, tons of grey everywhere.

5. Walleye Warehouse: The most vanilla map out there, it works right on everything with every weapon set. Never played it on rainmaker, though

6. Bluefin Depot: A big map that with the divide at the center encourages players to split up. In general i don't really mind this map.

7. Camp Triggerfish:
I love how this stage looks, but wow it's bad for turf war. Weapons lacking in range will have a tough time here, especially around the bottleneck in the center. I've NEVER had the chance of playing this stage on ranked, but at least in ranked the gates at least shut down from the start there giving short-ranged weapons a fighting chance. Personally i'd really hope to see this stage more often in rotation, i've played this one the least out of all of them.

8. Blackbelly Skatepark:
Not bad by any means, it's a stage that favors short range weps over long range (aside from that one sniper perch on the side). Just a fun, chaotic small stage. It's terrible for rainmaker, though.

9. Urchin Underpass:
An allright map i guess. The center is so wide now that it's very tricky to get a solid hold on it.

10. Port Mackerel: Heavily depends on the mode, in Turf War the match is practically over if one team secures the two large square areas. In Rainmaker the pedestal is so far it's very hard to KO unless one team is way better than the other. It's a great map for zones, however.

11. Moray Towers: I only put this map here because i see it allmost every friggin' time on rotation. It favors chargers heavily, and even if i main the kelp splatterscope it's such a boring map to play on. I place a sprinkler on the edge, securing my weak point and proceed to lock down the area in the center. This happens every single time, and if there are rival snipers it's a constant struggle for the center where the snipers only matter. The other places will rarely get used unless one team is steamrolling the other one. The ranked variant is only slightly better, but most of the map is still left unused. That, and it's a pretty fugly map, outside of splatfest(Seriously, that night skyline!).

polysaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
laffysapphy
1. Flounder Heights: While this map is brand new and theres a lot more to discover about it, I love it so much. The atmosphere, the size, the balance, this stage has it all. No weapon clearly dominates here which is pretty rare, and man, it's fun to hold the high ground in the middle.

2. Saltspray Rig: I used to not like this one very much, since controlling the top area was so crucial in turf war, but I've since learned to love it. Like Flounder Heights, it's incredibly balanced, and I love the lack of rotational symmetry. The only thing is I still haven't played rainmaker on this stage, so this ranking is subject to change.

3. Kelp Dome: Like the two above, it doesn't heavily favor any weapons. The size makes it super fun in turf war. I also landed 38 kills on tower control on this stage, so it'll always hold a place in my heart.

4. Arowana Mall: While incredibly charger friendly, I still love this stage. The bumps going out of spawn are a little iffy, but at least there are more ways out of spawn. It's also super fun to hold the center area.

5. Walleye Warehouse: This stage, while very balanced as well, is really small, so rainmaker and tower control matches tend to go by quickly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but one small mistake can lead to the other team getting a KO.

6. Urchin Underpass: It's definitely a step up from its previous incarnation, in my opinion. Very balanced still, but having mid be on a lower elevation makes it less fun to hold for me.

7. Port Mackerel: This stage is actually very good, but the reason why it's so low is that the zones in splat zones are so far apart, and I find it unenjoyable to for there to be an impass where each team has one zone and neither can get the other one without losing control of the first one. (One time I played a match where time ran out and both teams were at 100 points. We still lost.)

8. Blackbelly Skatepark: I used to love this stage because using an octobrush in splatzones is almost a guaranteed win if you can hold the central tower, but in any other mode it's not very enjoyable to play, since it's so hard to navigate.

9. Bluefin Depot: Water. The lack of mid makes it hard to insure safety from the other team. It's okay in splat zones.

10. Camp Triggerfish: Similar to above, but with two zones. Plus the size makes tower control and rainmaker matches incredibly drawn out.

11. Moray Towers: Charger heaven. It makes it extremely hard to navigate without getting splatted, especially with a low range weapon or roller. Like Port Mackerel, the zones are way too far apart, and it's even harder to get to the other zone with chargers running rampant. If the other team has a good E-Liter, you're basically screwed.

Kudane

Inkling
NNID
Spacelier
1. Kelp Dome - I just love how open this place is. Lots of places to ink and build up special and pretty much any weapon has its place here. The catwalks offer a great risk:reward ratio too.

2. Flounder Heights - Though it's still relatively new, I really like this stage a lot. Several different routes to get around, the differing elevations - it's just a great, solid map.

3. Urchin Underpass - In all honesty, I much prefer this new version to the old one. Much more open and easier to infiltrate the center if you get overwhelmed a bit.

4. Saltspray Rig - I didn't like this map so much at first, but it has grown on me. The top area does not have to be the be-all-end-all but it frquently does. Rainmaker here is not the most fun either. That said, I LOVE Tower Control here and Turf War is very nice as well. The asymmetric shape is a nice change as well and no weapon is at a huge disadvantage.

5. Camp Triggerfish - Probably my most favourite stage concept in the game, the scenery and background things are just amazing and just give the level a whole different feel. Turf Wars aren't bad here, though the stage is a bit clunky to navigate and the Ranked modes run the spectrum (Tower Control is just ugh, Rainmaker is average and Splat Zones are pretty fun), so it averages out kinda nicely.

6. Walleye Warehouse - Another stage I used to dislike, this one was because of the lockdowns that can occur if you lose the center in Turf War. However, Turf War seems to be the only time I can't really stand this stage. Tower Control is great and Rainmaker's pretty fun, though kinda short. Can't say I recall doing Splat Zones here...might need to do that.

7. Blackbelly Skatepark - This stage fluctuates far too much. In Turf War, it's anyone's game but spawn-camping can become a big issue with little way to get out easily. In Tower Control, if you lack a charger and the opponents have one, have fun! Rainmaker, it's just so short. If your team gets fully splatted by the shield, you can lose before you all get back. Splat Zones are okay, but nothing to write home about.

8. Moray Towers - Despite chargers ruling their roosts here sometimes, I still have some fun on this stage. Main issues are the aforementioned chargers and the fact that comebacks are seldom once someone gets up 1 of the slopes.

9. Port Mackeral - I don't mind the restricted space as much as some people seem to, but it does make for a problem if everyone gets splatted cause you're almost certainly gonna get locked in at your spawn. The side paths don't really go far enough to the middle and aren't exactly safe themselves.

10. Arowana Mall - I never really have much fun here. Tower Control is okay-ish but Rainmaker and Turf War are very focused on locking in the other team. Once you lose that center chokepoint, a victory is so difficult to acheive and that can happen very early on.

11. Bluefin Depot - Bottom of the pile however is this one. I really can't stand this stage and I never have fun with it. The layout just doesn't gel with me and it's difficult to evict people once they get in, yet also difficult to get to their side as well. Also this stage, more than most others, feels like a total party splat just spells death.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Kelp Dome- Super open always get like 1300 points of turf
Camp Triggerfish- I just love the concept and map
Flounder Heights- SO OPEN I LOVE
Moray Towers- Fun map tbh I love the corners and how easy yet hard it is to get to the opponents base
Port Mackerel -Idk I like it though
Bluefin Depot- Very fun yet is a really good stage for snipers and idk I always get sniped
Walleye Warehouse- I tend to ALWAYS win on this stage idk
Arawona Mall (Ughhhh) - Ew
Urchin Underpass (It sucks now) - Eww
Blackbelly Skate Park (Booooo)- EWWW
Saltspray Rig (You suck)- EWWWWW

I have super awesome opinions guys lmaoooooo

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
I just got back into Splatoon after Rocket League loosened its grip on me so I haven't actually been able to play on Triggerfish or Bluefin at all, and I've been crazy unlucky and have only had 30 minutes of Tower Control and no Rainmaker at all in this first week back, but:

1. Flounder Heights - I'm adoring this map. I think it's by far the most fun Splat Zones map and it's got all these awesome nooks and crannies.This map has so much flow and there is always another option to tackle the problem.

2. Blackbelly Skatepark - Many of the same reasons I like Flounder Heights I like Blackbelly. I know there's sometimes a problem of it being too easy to pin the enemy team down in spawn but I've always been able to get out of those situations and been able to get a large amount of their home turf, forcing them to split up so I don't know. I love it.

3. Saltspray Rig - There was a period of like a week before I stopped playing where I could not find a time that this map wasn't in rotation. I got really sick of it and it probably prompted my break from Splatoon but now that there's 10+ maps I'm, not finding that problem. I think it's the most balanced map where you can never get pinned in and I think it would fall in my top tier if it weren't for the areas that you cannot get to on the opposing team. I know why they're there but I just don't like the idea of the map really only fighting over 75% of the turf.

4. Kelp Dome - I think this map has just the right amount of everything without being my favourite anything. I haven't actually played Splat Zones on this map ever but it's one of the better Turf War maps.

5. Urchin Underpass - I haven't played on the updated version too much but this has always been a very standard feeling map. I don't think I've played Turf War on it in a loooong time but it's a decently fun Splat Zones map.

6. Arowana Mall - I've never been bothered by the choke point in the middle too much. I like trying to find ways around this things, and I usually end up trying to sneak through walls which tends to work fairly well. I think this map will get better reception over time when wall manoeuvrability becomes more of a thing. Sticky Bombs on this map are the best.

7. Moray Towers - I haven't played this map enough. The only time I did get to play it was Splat Zones last night and it was fun but I need to try Turf War. I don't really see how it would work too well but again, I need to try it more. It's an ok Splat Zones map but it just feels way too linear.

8. Port Mackeral - I don't really liked the cramped spaces and narrow hallways. I like the idea of the map I just wish it had some more movement options.

9. Walleye Warehouse - I've just never liked this map. I think it entirely boils down to those ramps near the start that you can't paint on. I get why they're there but I find them really frustrating. It feels cramped and I feel like there are very few options in general.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
Having now gotten to play Bluefin Depot and Camp Triggerfish over the last 4 hours:

Camp Triggerfish is now my new least favourite map, at least in Turf War. I just find it really slow and very few options, every match ends up playing very similarly.

Bluefin is above Arowana but below Urchin. Fairly standard in every way with enough options but nothing stands out.

Moray Towers also moves ahead of Arowana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom