• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What makes a game a 'good' game

KamaItachi

Inkling
So wondering what makes you sit after a match and think to yourself 'That was a damn fine match'?

I personally love the long drawn out back and forth matches, both teams fighting for every inch/%
Team synergies are at their finest and everyone working together.

Give me a close call 5 minute match over a curb stomp victory any day

What about you guys?
30 second KOs?
Sniper duels across the map?
Unstoppable Splat sprees?
Last minute Overtime victory?
Squid parties (I guess?)

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I enjoy matches when every player is skilled with their weapon and it was a close game. It gets my blood pumping and I love it.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I love matches where, by the end, I know who everyone is. So many matches go by barely noticing who I'm splatting, so it's nice to have a proper sense of teamwork and rivalry during a match.

Plus, it's really fun noticing players you played with/against in earlier matches, in your current game. Shoutouts to *Tropica*.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
People who are going against Meta and succeeding!
Found a rare Hydra Splatling going full rambo in close combat, and succeeding, hilarious and awesome to look at.
And inspiring.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In Turf War:
Intense gameplay, where you feel you're in the flow of the game, but you still have an enemy that puts up a good fight. That's the main thing.
It helps if you have a rival of sorts. A player on the other team who you end up dueling a lot. Makes it more engaging for me.

In Ranked:
Winning. Unlike in Turf War, if you lose you either:
-Got your *** handed to you (knockout)
-Had to sit through a 5 (or more) minute match only to see no rewards (cash, EXP) for your hard work.
It's just really a drag IMO.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I agree with alot of what has been said so far, but here's a particular favourite of mine: when a player on my team disconnects, but my teammates and I pull extra hard and, even if we don't win, we put up a great fight and keep the clock running until it hits zero. That always gets my blood pumping.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Turf Wars, as long as I'm not getting completely hammered down, which subsequently usually means my team isn't being completely hammered down, that's usually a good game for me, regardless whether it is back and forth or us stomping them.
I for the most part can play at a pretty satisfactory level, but it all depends whether the rest of my team is competent enough to make the game still enjoyable. If they're getting splatted without a fight, that means more times I get teamed on.

Ranked, as long as my team isn't getting completely stomped right off the bat or some ridiculous comeback at the tail end of the game or in overttime happens, I'll say it was a good game. Will still be ticked if I lost and even more if it gave me a crack, but the game itself would be "good".

But beyond both of those. So long as the other team doesn't have somebody with some BS lag ticking me off. There's nothing more infuriating than getting more than enough shots in to splat somebody and for them to still be standing, or splatting something like a brush and suddenly getting splatted like a second later (I can deal with a few frames of delay, but getting ghost killed well after, that is annoying).

Last edited:

Cephalobro

My point of view of good matches are that everyone is making the effort to pull out a win, pushing the objective in Ranked and getting rid of the pesky Salmonids with infinite range.

liciors

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6376-9440-4613
In turf when both teams are evenly matched. Either team getting stomped is a joke, it's just not fun. Winning by that much is a joke and waste, losing by that much is infuriating/disheartening.

Ranked has the same story, and if it's an utter blow out for either team in rm or tc. Unlike turf, sz, or cb, you don't have to sit through it. Done, over, good job to whichever team won, you did something right, next game.

Salmon run is another ball game entirely with its own set of problems.

Notiflied

Inkling
probably when (it feels like) a match goes on for not too long, not too short, and one team only barely wins over the other and doesn't just absolutely destroy them. that's just mmmmmmmmm

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
To me, a good game is when it doesn't feel like either team is completely stomping on the other and control of the game is shifting back and forth. It makes for very intense but satisfying games regardless if my team wins or loses.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Both teams standing on equal footing. Those are exciting matches. Stomping the other team is not fun to me. It is boring and I know the opponent's aren't having one bit of fun either.

blackfrost89

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3304-4824-3516
I'm going with the general consensus in this thread, the best matches are close battles that could go either way. I also like the ones in which my team is winning and I'm noticing that I'm actually playing a major part in the victory. Scoring crucial splats, making a clutch run for the objective, stuff like that.

mutantmagnet

Inkster Jr.
A good game is when we are evenly matched and there are a ton of back and forth wins.

The only other time is when someone disconnects on my team and we came still came close to winning. I even won 1 match outnumbered.

It's one hell of an adrenaline rush.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
Seeing my teammates performing things I had in mind before I reached the location myself.

Seeing my teammates use alternate ways to get out of a tough situation.

Do or receieve a booya when you or your teammates actually save you from a near death shoot out.

Tower Defense: Only one person on the tower just to make sure it keeps moving while the rest of the team scopes out the enemy.

Working together to push. List goes on.

Reactions: the

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom