• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What weapons do you feel are underrated?

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
With so many weapons this game has in the end.
i'm curious, which weapon(s) do you feel are underrated?
Weapons that people find bad or/and don't seem to be used alot but can still be excellent if used right.

mine in no particular order:

custom splattersot jr.
:wst_shot_first01:
(one of the best supportive weapons, but being offensive at times is very effective too)

slosher deco
(sub tricky to use due eating alot of ink, but pays off if used correctly. a well timed kraken is always nice too)

forge splattershot pro
:wst_shot_expert01:
(the point sensor + main weapon can be a force to behold, inkzooka can also have it uses)

bamboozler mk1
:wst_charge_light00:
(mostly overshadowed by its more offensive burst bomb variant (MK3) imo, but thanks to echo locator and disruptors, it can be both a solid supportive and offensive weapon)

Like to hear you opinion(s)!

Last edited:

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Apparently, the Cherry H-3.

We were talking about it at the Inkademy and it seems people generally underestimate the Cherry, at least for zones. Zimi/Cherry is an opressive force for zones. Cherry has Wall/Bubble which makes it an unstoppable Brick. It turfs, hard and has good range. It also kills fast if your aim is on point and while people might cite that as one reason it's not that great, people make use of Blasters with about the same level of skill.

The Cherry has every peice of a kit that makes something Meta, it works with QR, it controls space well and has an invi special. I don't see why people consider it better.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I personally don't find it that good for turfing, especially zones, although its forward reach make approaching easy.

surprised its underestimated though.
i`m always more cautious around them as they can easely wipe the floor with you (and your team) if your not carefull.

i ques the whole aiming and pauses between bursts puts people of.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm sure some S+ squid samurai could come in here and go on at length about how the H-3's role is fulfilled more easily by other weapons and that it doesn't stack up compared to the Splattershot Pro/96 Gal/whatever. Meh.

The H-3s in general are underrated, though the Cherry's obviously the best. People just can't be bothered to learn how to handle the firing mechanism. Which is a shame, because they have a lot to offer people who adjust to the weapon - great ink efficiency, good inking capability due to the range, and kills with 1 trigger pull if your aim's up to snuff.

Personally, a weapon I think is underrated would be the Dual Squelchers, both of them. They have a superior fire rate and ink efficiency to the Splattershot Pro, but the Pro's kits are infinitely better. For now. I imagine perception of the Dual will change quite nicely if it's provided with better loadouts in the sequel.

Last edited:

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Personal bias is personal.
I myself am a Slosher main, and correct me if I am wrong, but I definitely do not see it played as often as other blasters and short range turfing shooters. The thing is, it fills both of those rolls pretty gosh darn well. It can paint most zones with three or four sloshes, and on bigger zones it gets the Burst Bomb to help paint the other side if there are obstructions blocking its ink. It is especially good on playing around objectives that have areas of uneven ground and obstacles that it can fire over, something that a lot of other shooters just don't see as a possibility, which opens up manymanymany more options in terms of how you can play the game.
There are two things holding people back from achieving mastery with this weapon, however, and those are Positioning and Aim (well technically its slow fire rate, but let me explain one thing at a time). These two go hand in hand, but let me go over positioning as a matter first. Like I said before, you really want to have a vantage point in the map if you are covering zone or just getting map control in general. On the Vanilla and Tri-Sloshers, its firing power gives it very quick kills and if you are simply sitting back and painting, part of the Slosher's gameplay isn't being used. I said before, it works like a Painter and a Blaster. Yet, if you want to "Go in", you need to be VERY sure of what you're doing or else you'll be left out to dry with the Anchovies. The Tri-Slosher has its Bubbler, but if you don't get those kills and have quick movements to cover up for it, then you won't be able to efficiently play the weapon, and that ties into my second point.
If your aim isn't Crystal Clear with the Slosher, then just play a Blaster instead. If you get a weak hit (from a ledge above or if the trail hits) then you lose a lot of time to kill. The Slosher has a very long cooldown from its fire, and its relatively short range makes playmaking a risky affair. Also, its trail is not easy to move around in if you get stuck in enemy fire. If you miss a Slosh then you are left hanging, waiting for an opponent to descend upon you, whereas if you had played the Junior and your aim was off, it would take you half the time of a Slosh to stop shooting, re-position, and start firing again.
Needless to say, it's a hard weapon to master. It's skill cap definitely rewards its versatility and multiple avenues to success. This is one of the only classes in the game that lets you drastically change your playstyle on a whim for whatever your team needs. Sloshers could definitely be the dominant weapon class, but people need to uhh..
ahem
"Git Gud"
That is all.

Last edited:

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Back in the day, i remember daul Squelchers were used alot more.
But players got used to splattershots ink maintenance and switched to that i assume.
I do find its buffs over splattershots underestimated, it really helps the weapon in the long run.

Another slosher enthusiast huh?
anyway, i do agree the overall community schould play with it more and discover the
numerous possibility the weapons have in the battlefield.
i doubt
sloshers end up being the best or anything, they have their flaws.
but the weapon or more
specifically, its unique play style, deserves more love and thought!

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I'm sure some S+ squid samurai could come in here and go on at length about how the H-3's role is fulfilled more easily by other weapons and that it doesn't stack up compared to the Splattershot Pro/96 Gal/whatever. Meh.

The H-3s in general are underrated, though the Cherry's obviously the best. People just can't be bothered to learn how to handle the firing mechanism. Which is a shame, because they have a lot to offer people who adjust to the weapon - great ink efficiency, good inking capability due to the range, and kills with 1 trigger pull if your aim's up to snuff.
Well I'm S+ and I pretty much will say that, except for the Cherry. The others aren't bad sure, but the Cherry is the one that's really the best. Otheriwse you can find something that does the same kit to roughly the same degree with a much lower skill floor which counts for something.

Personally, a weapon I think is underrated would be the Dual Squelchers, both of them. They have a superior fire rate and ink efficiency to the Splattershot Pro, but the Pro's kits are infinitely better. For now. I imagine perception of the Dual will change quite nicely if it's provided with better loadouts in the sequel.
Alright, the CDS is my first priority main (I know right?) and I gotta say your perception is backwards. The CDS actually has only the same fire rate of the Tentatek, and is a 4 shot kill at 21 frames while the TTek is a 3 shot kill at 15 frames, and SPro is a 3 shot kill at 19 frames. This puts it quite far behind especially when you consider the SPro has the same range but a higher velocity and better offensive kits. The Vanilla dual shares a Kit with the Nzap which stacks Echos faster and generally provides more support than the Vanilla, but the Custom Dual Squelcher has possible my favourite kit in the game with it's ultimate support kit. Beakons are incredibly powerful hence why they only exist on very limited weapons.

And even though I like it and think it need smore credit, that's kinda what the CDS is, limited. You can run 2m2s of Damage and pick the the DS up to 99.9 dmg on 3 shots which gives you maybe a 50% chance to cut your TTK to around TTeks levels, but when you start thinkin about damage up you start skipping more valuable abilities or weapons that fill the role without the need for damage. Why Take a CDS for beakons when you can run a TTek with Stealth Jump (Subverting your need for Beakons a bit) and QR no damage needed? You can run Def+ Squelcher, which might be the best of the bunch, but you could once again just run Def+ Ttek or something. Another thing to consider is that Beakons while powerful are on the Eliter 3k, which is much easier to fit into a composition in 2/3 game modes.

The CDS can be a good pick for Zones maps like Bluefin where having Beakons can be good but you also don't want a Charger over a splatling for ranged support. That's when you'd probably take a CDS. Camp Zones is also another niche where the CDS can fit into with Wail being so powerful on CampZs and with it being a more forward weapon to place beakons in better places than just your sides wall.

I think the CDS ability to turf as well as it idoes with its kit and general flexibility is overlooked, but when you observe why the meta weapons are picked like they are it's easy to see how they could have overlooked the CDS. Even in its best niche, you can still take a TTek and do TTek things.

I myself am a Slosher main, and correct me if I am wrong, but I definitely do not see it played as often as other blasters and short range turfing shooters. The thing is, it fills both of those rolls pretty gosh darn well. It can paint most zones with three or four sloshes, and on bigger zones it gets the Burst Bomb to help paint the other side if there are obstructions blocking its ink. It is especially good on playing around objectives that have areas of uneven ground and obstacles that it can fire over, something that a lot of other shooters just don't see as a possibility, which opens up manymanymany more options in terms of how you can play the game.
There are two things holding people back from achieving mastery with this weapon, however, and those are Positioning and Aim (well technically its slow fire rate, but let me explain one thing at a time). These two go hand in hand, but let me go over positioning as a matter first. Like I said before, you really want to have a vantage point in the map if you are covering zone or just getting map control in general. On the Vanilla and Tri-Sloshers, its firing power gives it very quick kills and if you are simply sitting back and painting, part of the Slosher's gameplay isn't being used. I said before, it works like a Painter and a Blaster. Yet, if you want to "Go in", you need to be VERY sure of what you're doing or else you'll be left out to dry with the Anchovies. The Tri-Slosher has its Bubbler, but if you don't get those kills and have quick movements to cover up for it, then you won't be able to efficiently play the weapon, and that ties into my second point.
If your aim isn't Crystal Clear with the Slosher, then just play a Blaster instead. If you get a weak hit (from a ledge above or if the trail hits) then you lose a lot of time to kill. The Slosher has a very long cooldown from its fire, and its relatively short range makes playmaking a risky affair. Also, its trail is not easy to move around in if you get stuck in enemy fire. If you miss a Slosh then you are left hanging, waiting for an opponent to descend upon you, whereas if you had played the Junior and your aim was off, it would take you half the time of a Slosh to stop shooting, re-position, and start firing again.
Needless to say, it's a hard weapon to master. It's skill cap definitely rewards its versatility and multiple avenues to success. This is one of the only classes in the game that lets you drastically change your playstyle on a whim for whatever your team needs. Sloshers could definitely be the dominant weapon class, but people need to uhh..
Slosher is my lowest priority and final main(Of 4) and you're not entirely true. The Slosher is only underestimated in the West, but is very popular in Japan. The Vanilla slosher with QRSJ and Damage is very in right now for Zones and still quite good on other modes with Slosher deco taking good Niches as well. The Burst combo of the Vanilla slosher makes it excellent for one on one fights as a forward aggressor and QRSJ helps it keep being in the fight. The Inkstrike special can also be used to help cap the zones. The vanilla slosher is actually banned in Charles 1v1 ruleset because of how good the burst combo is.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That was a very verbose way to repeat what had already been said :P

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Nah what you said wasn't the whole story and some slightly off information. Just wanted to clarify some stuff.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Slightly off information? Really? Does it matter that much in an opinion thread when the sequel's making the whole thing moot in a few months? You're exactly the kind of person I was referring to in my post :P

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about the stats and be confused when it doesn't appear that way in context is all.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Who is going to get the wrong idea about hard numbers and stats over some people sharing their thoughts in a thread? I do believe you're overthinking this juuuuuuuuuuuust a tad.

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I'm used to only having these convos at the Inkademy where this kinda depth is expected, so maybe?

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
not to interfere but can we go back on topic?

this thread can/will be viewed by players with varying skill level/ experience, so in depth thoughts can be expected and there's nothing wrong with it.

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Well to help with that I'm gonna say the Rapid Blaster. It cant really do much with its biulds outside of stack damage, but DMG+ and some Swim Speed can turnt he Rapid into a real beast. I've seen varying opinions of it ranging from "Alright" to "Something you use to even the odds against your 5 year old cousin" but I think the Rapid should be nicely into A tier. Higher level players tend to agree with me that Rapid is at least decent but I think it's even better than that. Light Deplition bubble, amazing range, good fire rate. The Rapid can control space incredibly well and make some surprisingly quick offensives. In fact the only drawbacks to the Rapid are its dub being Ink Mine and its reliance on Dmg+

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well to help with that I'm gonna say the Rapid Blaster. It cant really do much with its biulds outside of stack damage, but DMG+ and some Swim Speed can turnt he Rapid into a real beast. I've seen varying opinions of it ranging from "Alright" to "Something you use to even the odds against your 5 year old cousin" but I think the Rapid should be nicely into A tier. Higher level players tend to agree with me that Rapid is at least decent but I think it's even better than that. Light Deplition bubble, amazing range, good fire rate. The Rapid can control space incredibly well and make some surprisingly quick offensives. In fact the only drawbacks to the Rapid are its dub being Ink Mine and its reliance on Dmg+
Yep. That too may get a popularity boost depending on it's future kit.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
i find the range on rapid blaster `very good` for a blaster.
also counting the range of the blast of the projectile it fires.
as long you can keep your range, and don`t get cornered into close-quarter, your practically golden.

on the ink mine, i find it underrated as a whole.
you can`t use it offensively, but it can help keeping enemy`s at bay and is extremely helpful to avoid getting splatted from enemy`s that are capable of ambushing from below and above.
(depending on the terrain)

Last edited:

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Ink mine is good enough to use, but Splatoon favours the offensive and the Ink Mine just can't do that. I use it mostly to hold corners so if people want to rush me, they can't back out. I also use it to hold my ground if I get into long range fights to help me get out if they pop it without killing me but that's rare. On faster weapons I can trick people into it, though I only seriously use Rapid with ink mine.it also clears towers and helps hold zones.

nyango

Inkling
i find vanilla heavy to be one of the most underused weapons in the game at the moment. i understand that it's largely overshadowed by the '96, which combines the best parts of the standard and deco versions of the heavy, i.e. wall and kraken while negating the need to charge, but - and i admit that i might be biased - i feel that it has more to offer than many realise. for one in my experience it's pure painting power is superior by quite a bit due to how often it get's it's special and 2) IT'S AN F-ING GATLING GUN!!! nuff sed.
2nd most underrated: custom red gun
omg where do i even start with this. to say that it excels at control is an understatement. everthing about it - range, sub, the fact that it cover turf so quickly and get it's special so often - it all feels sooooooo gooooood. it's an absolute beast on rm and tc as you can enable and stop pushes rather easily, while helping your teammates keep up the pressure.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
(THIS IS OBVIOUSLY BIASED)
I definitely think the Grim is Underrated. It's definitely a weapon that I've seen, but I don't think it's a weapon that is used enough.
Simply put, the burst canceling shenanigans are amazing, shutting down anyone not running defense up. Not to mention, your main weapon is a range blaster, one of the best weapons in the game (imo obviously), just because you are a mid ranged one shot kill, and you can two shot people around a corner. Also, if someone gets cheeky and messes up your spacing, throw a burst bomb or two at them, or direct them in the face if they feel like it. Not to mention Wail is pretty good at checking tower pushes or rainmaker paths. Still though, it takes some skill to use, as opposed to the CRB and the luna neo (the premier blasters in the meta)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom