• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What weapons do you main and what strategy do you use?

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I was considering making a thread like this earlier today. Keeping in mind that I'm still in the grind toward S+, and haven't refined any skills yet, I main Brella and Tri-slosher.

I use Tri-slosher for Splat Zones and Tower Control. My objective here is usually to control the high ground, because it plays to sloshers' ability to hit hard over walls or surprise from above. I swap between creeping on a flank and supporting the center, depending on what my teammates are up to. The hustle of switching up positions lets me find extra turf to ink, so I can keep ink armor ready for a push.

For the Brella, I've taken it mostly to clam blitz and rainmaker for now, until I build up some better instinct with it or at least rank up into better teams. My Brella tactics are very supportive and I don't get many splats, since I busy myself defending teammates or being a distraction for slayers. Most my ideal mains/subs are focused on mobility and survivability, because my favorite tactic is to be to harassing to ignore. My generic tactic is to throw a sprinkler behind our offensive teammates and swim to catch up, then draw attention to the Brella shield. Otherwise, I'm looking to guard from flankers. My shiniest moments are when I get people to follow me the complete opposite direction of my team, so their backs are open.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I play the Custom Jet Squelcher in every mode except Tower. I play very defensively, staying back and punishing enemies who try to rush me.

Ajae

Inkling
I just play blasters and decide based on which one in theory will apply the most pressure on entry points on the map and can take advantage of the terrain.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
I started splatoon 2 knowing that I'd want to learn a couple play styles. My weapons that I do best with in particular niches are in my signature.

Hydra Splatling is for defense and stopping pushes. Out of all the very defensive, long-ranged weapons out there, it's the hardest to approach. It has better range than a jet squelcher and can kill as fast as post-roll dapple dualies when it has a full charge. It's probably the easiest weapon with that kind of range to stay alive with when enemies get close. If you have a charger, they may be able to juke your shots to get close. No one jukes a splatling, though. You also have splashdown to escape when you need it. You could try to go for the kill if it doesn't OHKO, but there's really no way to follow it up with a splatling. Autobombs can flush out enemies that were trying to wait for your charge to end to pop out and attack. The kit's just really great on this weapon, and it's my go to for modes like rainmaker and tower control that really benefit from a heavy defense teammate.

The next weapon is the forge splattershot pro. The first time I started playing this, I did pretty well for myself. A little while later with proper gear to make this weapon shine, and I started to understand why it's in the meta. It is very good at offense. I usually use it in clam blitz for how good it is at rushing the basket, and it's also good on splat zones. The main weapon itself is okay and can outrange the rest of the meta with what is still a pretty decent TTK, but it is a little ink hungry. Ink saver does have an increased effect on it, though. It wouldn't be meta though without the bubbles and the fact that it has a bomb to go with them. The bomb, bubbles, bomb technique will burst the bubbles almost immediately, and it's super easy to kill with. This is definitely the best weapon for bubble blower.

Both .52 gals I use for offense and and offensive support mostly. The original I usually use on splat zones when I don't feel like using the Forge (also it paints faster, so there's that). It helps to be able to see enemies hiding in the zone and baller can help as your team pushes into the zone. The .52 gal deco I usually use for tower control when the map isn't hydra-freindly. I slay enemies with ease, getting around with curling bombs and if I need to, I jump back to spawn to stop a push with sting ray. Also, I run ninja squid playing both of these weapons. Ninja squid on this weapon will let you spawn camp so hard with that fast of a TTK.

KamaItachi

Inkling
I've really only just settled on the Mini as my main, so outside of turf I've not really worked with any other weapons for different modes.

I try to play an aggressive support role, since the mini has a fairly flexible set up. Burst bombs give you that instant verticality to get up high to flank or push.

Still got some zoning issues, but that's more my map knowledge than anything.

ShadowStriker34

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3051-4861-5047
I started splatoon 2 knowing that I'd want to learn a couple play styles. My weapons that I do best with in particular niches are in my signature.

Hydra Splatling is for defense and stopping pushes. Out of all the very defensive, long-ranged weapons out there, it's the hardest to approach. It has better range than a jet squelcher and can kill as fast as post-roll dapple dualies when it has a full charge. It's probably the easiest weapon with that kind of range to stay alive with when enemies get close. If you have a charger, they may be able to juke your shots to get close. No one jukes a splatling, though. You also have splashdown to escape when you need it. You could try to go for the kill if it doesn't OHKO, but there's really no way to follow it up with a splatling. Autobombs can flush out enemies that were trying to wait for your charge to end to pop out and attack. The kit's just really great on this weapon, and it's my go to for modes like rainmaker and tower control that really benefit from a heavy defense teammate.

The next weapon is the forge splattershot pro. The first time I started playing this, I did pretty well for myself. A little while later with proper gear to make this weapon shine, and I started to understand why it's in the meta. It is very good at offense. I usually use it in clam blitz for how good it is at rushing the basket, and it's also good on splat zones. The main weapon itself is okay and can outrange the rest of the meta with what is still a pretty decent TTK, but it is a little ink hungry. Ink saver does have an increased effect on it, though. It wouldn't be meta though without the bubbles and the fact that it has a bomb to go with them. The bomb, bubbles, bomb technique will burst the bubbles almost immediately, and it's super easy to kill with. This is definitely the best weapon for bubble blower.

Both .52 gals I use for offense and and offensive support mostly. The original I usually use on splat zones when I don't feel like using the Forge (also it paints faster, so there's that). It helps to be able to see enemies hiding in the zone and baller can help as your team pushes into the zone. The .52 gal deco I usually use for tower control when the map isn't hydra-freindly. I slay enemies with ease, getting around with curling bombs and if I need to, I jump back to spawn to stop a push with sting ray. Also, I run ninja squid playing both of these weapons. Ninja squid on this weapon will let you spawn camp so hard with that fast of a TTK.
I use the forge splattershot pro a lot. I've tried using the Splattlings and can't get the hang of them

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Dapple Dualies Nouveau (wished the sub was better though), Custom Splattershot Jr (my guilty pleasure)........and I've been loving the Zink mini lately. You can tell I love the ink storm special. lol I never got into splatlings until the Zink one came out. I used to use the Sploosh-a-matic a lot too...powerful but very short range. I'm kind of testing new weapons out......because the weapons I love the most don't hold up too well against S+ blasters and Splattershot Pros. I think no matter what though, I'll always return to the Custom Splattershot Jr though ....especially since people love being snipers. I love using autobombs and ink storms to throw snipers off. Custom Splattershot Jr may not be the most powerful weapon, but I'd like to think that my sub/special is annoying as hell to opponents and helps my teammates get the kills.

Added: I guess I would be more of a distraction type of player depending on the opponents .

Last edited:

ShadowStriker34

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3051-4861-5047
It's pretty interesting to see everyone's different strategies

Krubix

Inkling
NNID
RedSoxFTW7439
Switch Friend Code
SW-8346-2552-6609
I've been maining short-range shooters like Ttek and .52. I also run vanilla blaster and play very aggressively.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Splat Dualies have been by primary weapon of choice for the most part. Really, I just go by the rule of always try to flank if possible, that's typically what I do at the start of matches. After that, besides continuing to flank, typically avoid head to head unless I know I outrange them, or I'm in a position where taking advantage of my dodge rolls dodge and get into a position where I can take them out (usually against long range but slow weapons). Otherwise, dodge roll out of a situation the moment it looks bad.

Been picking up the Custom Jet Squelcher recently. Originally, I thought I'd favor the Dualies Squelcher, but the much more consistent accuracy on the Jet Squelcher feels a lot better, plus a better kit. This is mainly just stick back and try to pick people off or support my team, try to stay out of the firefight as much as possible. Still in the breaking it in phase.

Technically I also use the Tri-Slosher, but really, only during Tower Control. Usually it is a matter of trying to take them out from the high ground or trying to approach the tower from a directly they aren't immediately expecting so I can approach and take out everybody at once.

Last edited:

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
I'm a Splatterscope main who almost exclusively plays Turf Wars.

I feel like the gun really shines as a support weapon. I use it to ink, to break enemy paths, bear trap opponents, rescue teammates, and steal enemy-side terrain that is normally hard or impossible to reach. As for sniping, I'd say most days I would merit a solid B/B+. Most of the time I just wait for squids to charge me up a ledge and splat bomb them. Infact I like the scope/splatbomb combo so much I've stuck with this kit despite never really getting the hang of the Stingray.

ShadowStriker34

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3051-4861-5047
I'm a Splatterscope main who almost exclusively plays Turf Wars.

I feel like the gun really shines as a support weapon. I use it to ink, to break enemy paths, bear trap opponents, rescue teammates, and steal enemy-side terrain that is normally hard or impossible to reach. As for sniping, I'd say most days I would merit a solid B/B+. Most of the time I just wait for squids to charge me up a ledge and splat bomb them. Infact I like the scope/splatbomb combo so much I've stuck with this kit despite never really getting the hang of the Stingray.
I can't use the scoped weapons, I'm decent with the normal charger but can't get the hang of the scoped one

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
I can't use the scoped weapons, I'm decent with the normal charger but can't get the hang of the scoped one
See I'm the reverse. With the new stored charge mechanic, I've forced myself to play the splat charger for weeks at a time in the hopes of utilizing its advantage, and haven't been able to get it to click.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
‘jack-off-trade’.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Course you meant jack of all trades, which applies to me aswell. I use Sloshers and Dualie Squelcher the most, all around weapons that let me be adaptable. I suppose I lean more on the aggressive side, generally being on the front line, yet I also strive to maintain field control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom