• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 What's the S+ Mechanic supposed to achieve?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I'm crunching the numbers in my head trying to figure out what it's supposed to be, but i don't understand.

I see a lot of ranting of the S+ lobbies being bad, unfair, unbalanced and just plain unplayable for some.

All of the previous ranks had a range of 3 ranks of each other where you combine, and that's a small and decent range to use, while S+ have 50 of them.

Fresh S+ players join in, and suddenly they are thrown into a level +50 room with them being the solely S+ 0 - 5 player there, or vice versa, S+ 50 in lonesome S+ 0 -5 and so on.

While you are supposed to keep playin and improving every time you play, it gets very discouraging when you hit S+ and then after a few matches you are thrown back into S rank again because +50 players are all you get... (Not to mention they (50+) losing their rank because one player are not of the same rank as them)

So what is this huge 50 levels of S+ rank supposed to do?

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Good sir, why are you opening this like one week before rank X is releasing and solving all of those problems? :- P

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Good sir, why are you opening this like one week before rank X is releasing and solving all of those problems? :- P
Cause i did not know that?
And how is the X Rank gonna fix it?

the

Inkling Commander
Cause i did not know that?
And how is the X Rank gonna fix it?
From what I understand rank x is gonna take the higher level (10 and up?) S+ rank players and stick them in their own rank where they’ll be sorted by a splatfest/league-esque power level. So hopefully ppl from S+ 1-10 will have closer/better matches to work with and the X rank players will be matched with players of similar skill

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
From what I understand rank x is gonna take the higher level (10 and up?) S+ rank players and stick them in their own rank where they’ll be sorted by a splatfest/league-esque power level. So hopefully ppl from S+ 1-10 will have closer/better matches to work with and the X rank players will be matched with players of similar skill
So everyone is reaching +10 and then sit there and doing nothing, making it the main reason why S+ was broken in the first place?

the

Inkling Commander
So everyone is reaching +10 and then sit there and doing nothing, making it the main reason why S+ was broken in the first place?

I’m not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but if you don’t play X rank for a certain time you get booted out after a while. So ppl can’t rly sit in X and do nothing at least. I can’t say what effect it’ll have on S+ 1-10 though

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
yeeeaaah. no X for me , sold console with all data. massive bummer. beyond really , I think it broke my soul

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I’m not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but if you don’t play X rank for a certain time you get booted out after a while. So ppl can’t rly sit in X and do nothing at least. I can’t say what effect it’ll have on S+ 1-10 though
- People hear about X Rank
- People reach S+10 ASAP or already have reached over S+10
- People stop playing ranked to maintain it
- S+40 and above just keeps playing
- Fresh people getting into S+
- S+0 - 9 keeps getting matched up with S+30 or above who have played 2 - 3 times more often then them.
- Many rooms gets unbalanced with too much variety between teams.

Whenever i play rank, i either get lucky and have everyone somewhere around my rank.
Or i get bummed out and end up in a S+40 or above lobby, where i am the only one below S+10
Since i'm not that skilled compared to everyone else, i'm dragging my team down.
And most of the time it is a really darn high level lobby i can't handle...

So yeah, most people hit +10 in ranked, and just idle there so there is a large gap between ranks being unable to produce enough players that have equal (enough rank).

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Okay well I really don't think that's the strategy for getting X rank. I was a few ranks under when it got announced and I kept playing after hitting 10 because league isn't always available and I want to keep playing. I would assume anyone with enough interest to reach +10 would want to keep playing the game. Also, your +number doesn't really matter. I would say there are 3 categories of player in S+, however. One would be the phase of trying to get out of the first +numbers. I was in this phase for several months. The second would be the grind in between to get to +50. That's where I'm at. The third would be maintaining your +50 rank. But aside from that, your power level is what determines who you play with. While your number can be telling, it doesn't matter so long as you have an accurate power level. Rank X eliminates the first phase of S+ which increases the chance of having better games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom