• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What's Up With VC?

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
So, apparently a lot of people are pretty angry that there's no voice chat. I've heard arguments about how you can use Skype, how it ruins the game, how Nintendo is "being lazy", the list goes on. A fair amount from both sides. Personally, I could care less about voice chat. It would be a nice bonus, but I feel some game mode are too short or too hectic to be able to fully utilize voice chat. I usually always counter with "but Skype is even better than what the Wii U could do!", but It really boils down to being an inconvenience if anything. Amano has stated he feels less voice chat keeps the scene a little more friendly, but...

What do you feel? I'm probably asking for a flame war right now, but I'm legitimately curious on what other people think about the situation.

EDIT: This would actually probably fit more under general discussion, but lets see how this goes.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Even if Splatoon would provide built-in voice chat I dont think I would use it outside ranked matches. If I were to play with friends I would obviously get in Skype or whatever comms we would be using. This will most certainly be the case when I will form my team.

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
Even if Splatoon would provide built-in voice chat I dont think I would use it outside ranked matches. If I were to play with friends I would obviously get in Skype or whatever comms we would be using. This will most certainly be the case when I will form my team.
My thoughts exactly. It would definitely have utility, but only in certain situations.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
It's annoying mostly because of the obvious but more so because it's a feature they could have kept in with options and settings but instead opted for removing it completely. Another thing that annoys me slightly is the question of will most people be able to use a headset for in game sound and a VoIP client together. Unless you have a fairly interesting setup going on you'll have to make some form of compromise. I suppose I personally plan to use earbuds and an over-ear headset but not everyone has the option.

I mean it doesn't help the WiiU lacks basic functionality included as standard with consoles a whole generation older than it but the lack of voice chat on Splatoon just adds insult to injury. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't really even need to be a flame, whether you use it or not is another matter but nobody can really argue the game is better off without it in my opinion.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
A lot of people want it to play competitively. Other people just don't care and even argue against it. It doesn't really make sense.

Nester

Inkster Jr.
Content Team
Community Ambassador
We're going to be using Raidcall for private lobbies. Seems to be the best option, although it'd be nice if there was a client for Android users.

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
I feel Amano's logic makes sense, but I feel there's a lot of other options and workarounds. But I suppose you can never really make a system that's safe.

thefro

Full Squid
Voice Chat would have been a nice thing to have but it's likely the real competitive players would be using another system anyway.

In TF2 the lag in the built-in voice chat is ridiculously long.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Voice Chat would have been a nice thing to have but it's likely the real competitive players would be using another system anyway.

I don't know what's up with your internet/computer, but it doesn't lag at all for me or anyone I know.

youthCAT1590

Pro Squid
When playing online, I tend to be too focused to even talk to others lol, so no voice chat is fine with me. Also, I don't see why some people act like no VC ruins the game. As if that is the core aspect of the game. The core aspect is making a mess and covering the most ground. You can still have fun without talking to people. I understand why some people want it but it's really not THAT big of a deal.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
A second or two delay isn't that bad :\
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
People who would play competitively would probably use Skype / Raidcall / etc. anyways. It doesn't bother me much and the game will more than likely run smoother without it.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It should been a friend only option for voice chat. COD Black Op 2 has it and headset support it works well. Not being able to have everything in one place sucks. The reasoning behind why it isn't in makes it worse. Some of my friends aren't getting the game at all or at launch now. Waiting for a Direct to make me hyped i lost it all after these interviews and the fans against options. The Inkings wear headsets but i can't to talk to my friends? it sucks.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
It's annoying mostly because of the obvious but more so because it's a feature they could have kept in with options and settings but instead opted for removing it completely. Another thing that annoys me slightly is the question of will most people be able to use a headset for in game sound and a VoIP client together. Unless you have a fairly interesting setup going on you'll have to make some form of compromise. I suppose I personally plan to use earbuds and an over-ear headset but not everyone has the option.

I mean it doesn't help the WiiU lacks basic functionality included as standard with consoles a whole generation older than it but the lack of voice chat on Splatoon just adds insult to injury. As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't really even need to be a flame, whether you use it or not is another matter but nobody can really argue the game is better off without it in my opinion.
This sums it up well.

Even if voice chat was in the game, I would hardly even use it for several reasons. Even so, there isn't really a GOOD reason it shouldn't be included, but with an option to turn it off.

The reason they intentionally left out voice chat isn't because they're lazy or anything. It'd be extremely easy to implement voice chat using the gamepad mic. No, it's because they want to be family friendly. They don't want the kids getting cussed out by older kids (or, more realistically, the squeakers yelling profanity at everyone all the time).

I, personally, will not miss voice chat. But I still think it should be there.

StarKun

Full Squid
Just out of curiosity how're you going to use Skype and hear the game at the same time?
Just out of curiosity how is that any different between talking to people from the game itself?

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Just out of curiosity how is that any different between talking to people from the game itself?
I was legit curious. I prefer using a headset when playing the games, I find it much more enjoyable to play this way, didn't know if you had an easy way to merge the audio lines from a PC/Phone and the game audio into one channel so I could do the same. I plan to use earbuds and a headset but it's totally possible I've overlooked something minor.

I know it's possible but as far as I was aware it required a dedicated sound card.

Maybe I'm just touchy but mimicking how I started my post seems ever so slightly condescending. I phrased it that way with the intent not to offend or come across aggressive. Sorry.

StarKun

Full Squid
I was legit curious. I prefer using a headset when playing the games, I find it much more enjoyable to play this way, didn't know if you had an easy way to merge the audio lines from a PC/Phone and the game audio into one channel so I could do the same. I plan to use earbuds and a headset but it's totally possible I've overlooked something minor.

Maybe I'm just touchy but mimicking how I started my post seems ever so slightly condescending. I phrased it that way with the intent not to offend or come across aggressive. Sorry.
Sorry I seemed rude too, I was copying to show my side of it. But really, what is the difference? Either way, you're going to have to hear your teammates over the sounds of the game itself.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Sorry I seemed rude too, I was copying to show my side of it. But really, what is the difference? Either way, you're going to have to hear your teammates over the sounds of the game itself.
It's really difficult to hear anything outside of an over-ear headset. Any headset at all is going to make it slightly harder to hear, lets say the game audio if you're using your headset to talk to people. Purely from experience game audio in shooters is 100% essential to playing well so I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to combine the two into one channel. Lowering volume is much better than muffled volume.

StarKun

Full Squid
It's really difficult to hear anything outside of an over-ear headset. Any headset at all is going to make it slightly harder to hear, lets say the game audio if you're using your headset to talk to people. Purely from experience game audio in shooters is 100% essential to playing well so I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to combine the two into one channel. Lowering volume is much better than muffled volume.
There are probably ways, but none of them I know of.

Still though, which one would have to be more important, hearing the game or hearing your teammates? I always thought that was supposedly a gamble if the game itself had voice chat anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom