• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's Up With VC?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
After playing the demo, I still see no real need for an in game voice-chat. I will say it again, the only problems is the lack of options and a decrease in potential sales, and while the latter is still a big deal, the game is playable, the game is workable, and anyone who wants to play competitively will just use their own voice chatting methods.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Voice chat would've been fun tbh, they could've just made it so there's a separate lobby for voice chat games that can only be accessed with parental permission if they're on a Wii U with that enabled, and if they aren't on a Wii U with that enabled, parents shouldn't complain about what their kid hears on games.

Reactions: Nia

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
having played the demo, voicechat really doesn't seem necessary or, in most cases, helpful. I feel like if people get used to using the text message mechanic regularly it would be plenty enough.

however, I still feel that should have been our decision.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
having played the demo, voicechat really doesn't seem necessary or, in most cases, helpful. I feel like if people get used to using the text message mechanic regularly it would be plenty enough.

however, I still feel that should have been our decision.
The text messages really confused me tbh, I could never figure out who was saying it and what exactly they were saying, people didn't use it enough for me to reach a conclusion

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
Mess, I didn't understand those messages at all. I thought I was saying it to the person who splatted me.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Hope is the party system update in august lets you talk with teammates only in ranked and turf. Mute and disable options present.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
I get it... I get the idea behind why it's not included. That doesn't mean I have to accept it.
Although, I won't miss it at all actually.

My younger brother is your atypical CoD player, despite how much I've tried to get him to mellow out when he plays, but no, be it Destiny, CoD, or even Mortal Kombat X or Fifa, it's obnoxious and headache inducing. His friends are no better. And I can really do without that in my Splatoon, especially when these kinds of players will likely be mystified by the fact that kills don't mean anything in this game.

And with each turf war round being what? Two minutes a piece? The argument of "Just mute people" does not fly. The game is too frantic and archaic to spend half the round muting people.

I do however believe in options. I might not ever use voice chat in game, but that doesn't mean I don't think others will, or would get use out of it.
If it can be patched in down the line, brilliant. If not, well, c'est la vie.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
In ranked matches it would be very useful having an option to turn VC on or off. Especially since there won't be party matchmaking until august sadly

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Words are unneeded when everyone knows what needs to be done, and what they can do to get it done.

The game is too fast to get any real strategy going on the fly. As soon as you're done describing the situation, the info is old news. The best thing competitive players could do is come up with some pre-baked strategies for the players to execute, with the occasional use of the "to me" voice command to ask for support.

The only thing that voice chat could add to this game is a way for people to sling negativity at each other.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
I don't understand the anti-voice chat brigade. It's ok to not care or be indifferent, but having the OPTION means both parties win. If you want it, use it. Don't? Opt out. Simple. I think the very best solution is Nintendo adding party chat to Wii U so you're not running into the risk of giving randoms your phone number or IP addresses over Skype, etc. You'll never have to leave your console. Everything you need will be in your friend list (where you can also friend good players you meet online).

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I don't understand the anti-voice chat brigade. It's ok to not care or be indifferent, but having the OPTION means both parties win. If you want it, use it. Don't? Opt out. Simple. I think the very best solution is Nintendo adding party chat to Wii U so you're not running into the risk of giving randoms your phone number or IP addresses over Skype, etc. You'll never have to leave your console. Everything you need will be in your friend list (where you can also friend good players you meet online).
Party chat would be a great idea but I have no idea how it would be implemented with how the wiiu is right now. You can't even access the home menu when playing online in 99% of games. But when starting splatoon for the first time, you should be asked whether voice chat will be enabled or not.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
Party chat would be a great idea but I have no idea how it would be implemented with how the wiiu is right now. You can't even access the home menu when playing online in 99% of games. But when starting splatoon for the first time, you should be asked whether voice chat will be enabled or not.
I think it's possible with an update. The Wii U has twice the RAM of the Xbox 360 so it's possible. If Nintendo really wanted to make it happen, they could get a team of programmers to work it out.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I think it's possible with an update. The Wii U has twice the RAM of the Xbox 360 so it's possible. If Nintendo really wanted to make it happen, they could get a team of programmers to work it out.
Good point. It would have to be a big overhaul though. And since nintendo is so against VC in the first place I doubt anything will happen. You never know!

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It would be great if they did not only do consumers deserve that feature but would be great to fix the vc problem in tons of their games. Nintendo should be going the extra mile for consumers but is hard to when fans want less and are okay with less.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
It would be great if they did not only do consumers deserve that feature but would be great to fix the vc problem in tons of their games. Nintendo should be going the extra mile for consumers but is hard to when fans want less and are okay with less.
Exactly. Nintendo is the king of options any other time. How is this different?

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
Also how clean do you think the nintendo online community is compared to PSN and XBL.
If what I've encountered at my Smash Brothers tournaments is any indication, it's a metric bucket ton better.

But there are assholes everywhere. And they relish at every opportunity to be an *******. Whether it's loudly proclaiming that they did your mom, girlfriend and sister at the exact same time killed you, or proclaiming you're a hacker because you ambushed them and killed them, they will be an *******.

That being said, that's what the MUTE option is for. As a fairly avid dedicated/hardcore MMO player, I see the value in communication and strategy. Things change, things happen, and you want to be able to communicate about what's happening. I want to be able to communicate with my team to plan and organize things. I don't want to wonder if they're picking up on my plans or not.

There are arguments here that the games are too short, too fast to be of any use. What are we going on? The Testfire? Are all matches going to be a whopping 3 minutes long when the game is released? Or do I just not have as much information as other people? If so, I humbly ask that you enlighten me in this regard.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
matches have been confirmed to be 3 minutes in length. I believe it was mentioned in the direct somewhere toward the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom