• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What's Your Favorite Ranked Mode?

Favorite Ranked Mode

• Tower Control

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Rainmaker

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Splat Zones

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Clam Blitz

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
It’s a shame Splat Zones isn’t in rotation as often as the other modes

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
My favorite is Zones, with RM close behind. My least favorite is TC because it's a pretty imbalanced game mode. Blasters are fundamentally broken on tower. A lot of people don't like Clams because of the jumping thing, but those people just need to learn how to play defence so people can't jump into their spawn. It's not the mode's fault, it's the player's.

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Splatoon 2 noob here. I like Clam Blitz because (1) it’s the mode I’ve ranked the highest in and (2) I’m not at a 2+ year experience disadvantage vs Splatoon 1 veterans.

But I also just enjoy the chaotic movement of it. It’s basically the opposite of Splat Zones - I find the static nature of SZ to be a little boring, almost like a glorified Turf War.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Splat Zones, closely followed by Rainmaker.

Splat Zones requires the least amount of team coordination, so to me that cuts down on the frustration factor a lot. Its also the only mode where I intuitively know what to do in most situations, I can just play and usually make the right decisions without consciously thinking about it.

Rainmaker is fun because its fun to have the Rainmaker. I don't think there is much to say beyond that.

Tower Control kind of sucks to me because there are very few gameplay situations that are actually fun. Riding the tower is the most aggressive thing you can do and it puts you in an extremely vulnerable position without any gameplay reward (in contrast to RM, where having the RM makes you vulnerable but also gives you added offensive capability). Its just nothing but stress. Losing is naturally stressfull and winning means you have to be riding the tower which is also stressfull. I just get nothing out of it.

I've tried to enjoy Clam Blitz but I just can't. It seems Nintendo is really pushing CB in the Western market too, its always part of the prime time rotation and I feel like this has significantly contributed to my growing disinterest in the game. Its a problem when you feel like there are only 1-2 two-hour windows every day that you can play the game you actually enjoy.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Who said Clam Blitz? Lol
This question offends me. JK

I honestly like a good round of Clam Blitz more than anything else in Splatoon 2. That said, a bad round of Clam Blitz can be the worst thing ever.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I used to hate tower control, but it has consistently been my best mode for several months now, so I'd say it's my favorite. Maybe it's just due to the slow movement of the tower, but this mode seems like the one where a team wipe doesn't mean you're 100% screwed.

I really really want to like Splat Zones, but it's just so miserable every time I play it. In solo queue at least, it feels to me like you have to play an absolutely perfect game; you cannot make a single mistake or you will lose. There are so many games where my team has the lead almost the entire time, only for us to die at a critical moment, then lose in overtime. I probably post about this issue way too much haha :) I guess I'm just always hoping that someone can eventually enlighten me as to how to actually enjoy yourself in this terrible terrible mode.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Rainmaker is by far my favorite. It consists of a good amount of teamwork and coordination, where you need to communicate with your team, and help each other out. Also, it puts a big focus on grabbing map control and where to push depending on how much control of the area you have. The mixture of having paint and slaying capabilities filled in details how practically any weapon type is viable in this mode.
I would have to say chargers / possibly brushes. Brushes are a weak class already, with the inkbrush being one of the worst weapons in the game, and really finding a niche only in clam blitz. And the octobrush is reliant on having ranged + painting allies on it's team.

Chargers I say aren't too good here because they're already in a mediocre spot. However, this game mode requires them to move around a lot and require them to hit shots up close. Which can be rather difficult for a charger player. The clutch snipes / specials of the splat chargers can be helpful at times. However, sacrificing painting ability and mobility in this mode is never a good thing.

I think the biggest reason why I like it though is because it's a very fast paced game mode. Apart from the in initial pop standoff (which can last about a minute), a game can be won with one good, quality push. Where you can take your own approach, and not be set to a programmed path. However, there are easier routes to take, and some routes that should never be used.

Most maps have: one path that's easy to defend, but gives out a lot of points, a path that's easier to go up, but isn't as quick at giving points, and a mixture of the two for the last path. I just like this dynamic of risk vs reward in rainmaker games, as deciding where to push can be huge.

It's not like zones where you post up in a position and then try to defend for the duration of the timer, or clams where you can have a standoff lasting 4 minutes straight. This is a mode where the emphasis is put on the push. Where the stronger / best push wins the game, instead of the team who had possession the longest or had the most pushes.

Zones is pretty good in my mind, it's fair. But I don't think a lot of slaying weapons can succeed in this game mode without a dedicated support player on their team. It really emphasizes which teams can paint more / have more painting specials. Which is a key fundamental about the game.

I don't think they should change the mode or anything, but it's just not my favorite because the matches can be over if you're locked out once.

Tower Control is okay. I say this as a blaster main (aka god of TC apparently) I like how it accents the importance of getting a good push, instead of how many pushes you got. But Stingray feels mandatory in this mode. As a stingray user can solo stop a tower push with ease, making it crucial to get a good push before your opponent can use the stingray to defend against your team's pushes. Stingray is so powerful here because the trails are pre determined and it's rather easy to point the laser down the path and get a kill or two.

Clam Blitz is straight up broken. There are tons of animation glitches with the basket, and super jumping and throwing a power clam mid-air is still ridiculous no matter how you put it. Making it impossible to defend against a basket break, if not a possible lead.

I like the gamemode for not being static with the possible approaches, but the animation glitches and super jump strategy are a bit too ridiculous to commend. Not to mention, the game mode is a disaster in solo play. It's way too much coordination to consistently get results on with just: "This Way" and "Booyah".

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I definitely agree with what @ThatOneGuy said about the strategy of deciding where to push in Rainmaker, that adds a lot to the fun of the mode.

Rinkling

Inkling
My favorite is Zones, with RM close behind. My least favorite is TC because it's a pretty imbalanced game mode. Blasters are fundamentally broken on tower. A lot of people don't like Clams because of the jumping thing, but those people just need to learn how to play defence so people can't jump into their spawn. It's not the mode's fault, it's the player's.
I guess the reason I like TC is the amount of tension. But like you said, blasters are very overpowered, as well as suction bombs.

Last edited:

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But I also just enjoy the chaotic movement of it. It’s basically the opposite of Splat Zones - I find the static nature of SZ to be a little boring, almost like a glorified Turf War.
This so much.

TC and RM are a coin flip for me. All depends on the maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom