• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

When is squid partying ok?

How do you feel about Squid Parties?

• I love them in all modes.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I loathe them in ranked, but I don't mind them in turf wars.

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • I loathe them in turf wars, but I don't mind them in ranked.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I loathe them in all modes.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • It depends on the partiers for whither I like it or not.

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • I am neutral about them / I don't have an opinion.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Only in private matches, please.

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I say never ever do it in ranked (though I don't really play ranked since I play for fun)...
If others start squid partying on your team, I feel it's ok to join them if you don't feel up for being serious? I enjoy doing it sometimes as a sort of relaxing thing, ESPECIALLY when maps I hate are on or when most of my team is doing it anyways.

EDIT: Added a poll!
EDIT 2: Added a new option based on responses! You can change your vote if you need to!

Last edited:

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I had a bit of a dilemma a few days ago. Piranha Tower Control - very soon, two members of each team disconnected, then my third teammate, so it was myself (Grim) vs. a Custom Hydra and a Luna, with the opposing team already having a good lead prior to the disconnects. I figured that I had no chance, so I tried to instigate a party but failed to get any reaction (they just kept attacking me). Felt a bit bad but was probably to be expected in S rank.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Never in Ranked.
I completely agree, from the few times I've played ranked (i'm not a huge fan of it) I've had it happen when we were winning and it totally screwed us over. Basically: the teammates other than me and my friend got too full of themselves, squid partied, and then the other team wrecked us.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I hate it when a DC or two happens, and the larger team just massacres the other, so having a squid party run out the clock would be a lot more fun. I would be okay with that happening more often. Same goes for parties. Though I rarely see lobbies full of partiers anymore, it's usually just one or two people on a team, while the other team uses that to their advantage to easily win. And if you happen to be on the party team, you are most likely screwed.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Never in Ranked.
2 serious 4 me
but I know people do take it more seriously so I MOSTLY refrain from doing it in ranked...

I ALWAYS try to squid party during a simultaneous bubbler/kraken between me and an enemy squid.
They might think I'm trying to be insulting but w/e, just looking to have a little chuckle is all =p

Also I will, on rare occasion, try to squid party with an enemy squid arbitrarely chosen from the enemy team for the first 15 seconds or so, and then get back to teh gaem.

Am I killing the game? Maybe. But ya know? at the end of the day, ranked, turf or private, we are all a bunch of people in front of magical boxes of metal and plastic, pretending to be squids with guns.

Also I'm 'murican.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
2 serious 4 me
but I know people do take it more seriously so I MOSTLY refrain from doing it in ranked...
People who party and troll in ranked deserve to be struck by meteors. That includes you. Having fun at other's expense is never cool.

That said, I think squid partiers (IN TURF) should consider the situation. If you or someone else tries to start a party and no one joins in, stop and keep on playing. If the majority of the match joins, fine. Don't be like the sods I keep running into that throw fits and do things like spam super jumps and shoot teammates when they won't party.

It might "just be a video game", but some of us have limited free time, and if they keep running into non-players when they get on the game, how is that fair to them? Yeah, real "harmless fun" then.

⭐️Zapfish⭐️

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meggiemooshoo
People who party and troll in ranked deserve to be struck by meteors. That includes you. Having fun at other's expense is never cool.

That said, I think squid partiers (IN TURF) should consider the situation. If you or someone else tries to start a party and no one joins in, stop and keep on playing. If the majority of the match joins, fine. Don't be like the sods I keep running into that throw fits and do things like spam super jumps and shoot teammates when they won't party.

It might "just be a video game", but some of us have limited free time, and if they keep running into non-players when they get on the game, how is that fair to them? Yeah, real "harmless fun" then.
I completely agree with all of this. Very well said.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Just like everyone else said, never during Rank. Also if you're playing Turf Wars and there are people squid partying, don't be a jerk. Just let them be and continue to ink turf if you don't want to join them. Splatting people who are just squid partying is super rude! If they're not even trying to splat you, why ruin their fun? I was in a lobby of people squid partying before and there was this one person whose one goal was to not only ruin it, but also squidbagged us after he splatted us. It's just plain rude. If you're not interested, then go do you.

I do agree though that if no one's interested in squid partying with you, then you should give up and just play the game. Sometimes I'm trying to level up gear and it gets annoying when there is one person on my team that's desperately trying to start a squid party. I love squid parties, but I do want to have some serious Turf Wars sometimes.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Of course, leaving the game and entering a new one is always an option if you prefer playing serious over partying.
I've done it before, and it's very rare that you end up against the same people. There's still a chance there will be partiers, but I haven't seen them so much recently from what i've played as of late.

I don't like having an "overly serious" tone in splatoon for any reason though, so I usually end up partying whenever I see someone else doing it in turf wars to make sure they don't feel alone or sad. Even if my schedule was busier than it is now (which i'm hoping it will be soon, i'm actively searching for work since I haven't been able to get anything yet in this small town that's stable and not just seasonal) I would probably try to use Splatoon to relax and play for fun. I guess i'm just not a competitive person, huh.

I really only shoot people on my team when they kill people from the other team that are clearly partying with me and not causing any real harm.
As for spamming super jump, I only really do that with other partiers / when it's an inevitable loss that can't be recovered from I spam superjump on the spawnpoint.

When I don't feel like partying and there's squid partiers, I generally just try to chime in for the match then leave to another game though basically... especially if it's a good majority of the match's members or the entire rest of my team.

Sorry, I kinda ended up rambling about my own experiences and opinions on the matter. I still personally think it's pretty harmless when you can just refresh your lobby after a match.

⭐️Zapfish⭐️

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meggiemooshoo
Of course, leaving the game and entering a new one is always an option if you prefer playing serious over partying.
I've done it before, and it's very rare that you end up against the same people. There's still a chance there will be partiers, but I haven't seen them so much recently from what i've played as of late.

I don't like having an "overly serious" tone in splatoon for any reason though, so I usually end up partying whenever I see someone else doing it in turf wars to make sure they don't feel alone or sad. Even if my schedule was busier than it is now (which i'm hoping it will be soon, i'm actively searching for work since I haven't been able to get anything yet in this small town that's stable and not just seasonal) I would probably try to use Splatoon to relax and play for fun. I guess i'm just not a competitive person, huh.

I really only shoot people on my team when they kill people from the other team that are clearly partying with me and not causing any real harm.
As for spamming super jump, I only really do that with other partiers / when it's an inevitable loss that can't be recovered from I spam superjump on the spawnpoint.

When I don't feel like partying and there's squid partiers, I generally just try to chime in for the match then leave to another game though basically... especially if it's a good majority of the match's members or the entire rest of my team.

Sorry, I kinda ended up rambling about my own experiences and opinions on the matter. I still personally think it's pretty harmless when you can just refresh your lobby after a match.
I like the way you roll- I do the same. I enjoy squid-partying, and I also enjoy battling. Both are fun for me s long as the party is not in ranked.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Since we're sharing, I can say I'd mostly agree with you if my game experiences hadn't been what they are. For a few months, and this only stopped recently, I was running into partiers daily, often in consecutive matches. Doesn't matter that it wasn't the same ones, it kept happening over and over! And I rarely get considerate ones, it's usually the "party or die" types in my lobbies. Imagine hundreds of matches like this, in both turf and ranked, you'd probably be a bit disgruntled too.

I think the only reason this plague stopped for me is because I somehow transferred it to my friends, cause now their complaints mirror mine :P

But yes, it is a competitive game, and there will always be competitive people. In my case, I'm not so much competitive as much as I'd like to be able to play the game as intended. Eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom