• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Where can I find competitive gearsets that pros use?

Red Dress

Inkling
Hello. I posted a thread on /r/splatoon about information of gearsets that competitive pros use, but the only person responded pointed me to squidboards.

So, where can I find information about gear and skills and weapons used by pro teams/players?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Make your own ones.
Play with people in random ranked/turf, finding out which gear they are using with which weapon etc...
Reading on paper what is a good weapon and gear combo may not jive with you, you have to use it yourself to know if it's what you wanna use.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Ikaclo.com let’s you share and browse sets per weapon and such. It’s mostly Japanese players but it recently got an overhaul for English speaking players. It’s hard to track down exactly what you want, and naturally the descriptions for many of the sets were written in Japanese, not to mention some Engrish needs to be cleaned up... So it’ll take some work. But besides that it’s a cool site.

I wouldn’t say you should build everything yourself, but you should definitely try different things and figure out what works for you. Especially for more obscure weapons.

Red Dress

Inkling
Make your own ones.
Play with people in random ranked/turf, finding out which gear they are using with which weapon etc...
Reading on paper what is a good weapon and gear combo may not jive with you, you have to use it yourself to know if it's what you wanna use.
I am sorry, but this is just generally unhelpful, particularly if I was asking for data collection and analysis.

Additionally, and foremost I am asking to try and get a good solid baseline of what abilities are good with what and the best blueprint is from pro competitive play.

Ikaclo.com let’s you share and browse sets per weapon and such. It’s mostly Japanese players but it recently got an overhaul for English speaking players. It’s hard to track down exactly what you want, and naturally the descriptions for many of the sets were written in Japanese, not to mention some Engrish needs to be cleaned up... So it’ll take some work. But besides that it’s a cool site.

I wouldn’t say you should build everything yourself, but you should definitely try different things and figure out what works for you. Especially for more obscure weapons.
While not exactly what I was hoping for it is a huge step in the right direction. Thank you! Is there anyone currently working on trying to compile tourney stats/data? I would like to be able to catalogue what teams/players use what weapons, abilities and which maps they used them on and win/loss.

Ketatnet

Inkling
NNID
ketatnet
Switch Friend Code
SW-8017-7454-5223
Some competitive players will post their gear on twitter, or you could search their twitter for things like twitch links so you could see what they run while they are scrimming etc.

Red Dress

Inkling
Some competitive players will post their gear on twitter, or you could search their twitter for things like twitch links so you could see what they run while they are scrimming etc.
Alright, thank you for the info. Do I need a twitter to view their posts or do is it visible to all public?

Ketatnet

Inkling
NNID
ketatnet
Switch Friend Code
SW-8017-7454-5223
You dont need an account

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I am sorry, but this is just generally unhelpful, particularly if I was asking for data collection and analysis.

Additionally, and foremost I am asking to try and get a good solid baseline of what abilities are good with what and the best blueprint is from pro competitive play.
Sorry about that, but your question was very vague.
My answer is still the same, you should try things on your own, copying things is just gonna drop you into a frame of skill, very limited.
You should have more freedom in trying stuff out yourself, not limiting yourself.

Believe in yourself before you believe in others.

Red Dress

Inkling
Sorry about that, but your question was very vague.
My answer is still the same, you should try things on your own, copying things is just gonna drop you into a frame of skill, very limited.
You should have more freedom in trying stuff out yourself, not limiting yourself.

Believe in yourself before you believe in others.
I disagree. Trying to understand what gearsets teams/players use is important and can be insightful.

Sure, maybe if a person just uses the gearset without acknowledging the originator's intent and purpose it limits a person's understanding and general development as a player, but the benefits of being able to have data one competitive professional gearsets coupled with what maps, game type, and teammate gearsets used will always benefit the competitive community more than it will harm it.

Telling people that the best way to find good gearsets by personal discovery rather than having a clear and concise compendium of such data I think does more harm than good.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I disagree. Trying to understand what gearsets teams/players use is important and can be insightful.

Sure, maybe if a person just uses the gearset without acknowledging the originator's intent and purpose it limits a person's understanding and general development as a player, but the benefits of being able to have data one competitive professional gearsets coupled with what maps, game type, and teammate gearsets used will always benefit the competitive community more than it will harm it.

Telling people that the best way to find good gearsets by personal discovery rather than having a clear and concise compendium of such data I think does more harm than good.
One word: Adaptation.

There are lots of places on Youtube and on Twitter where you can find optimized gearset for functioning with specific weapon set and stages, but as long as you keep remembering that you are one person amongst a team of four people, then all the information should come to you easy of what you need.

EDIT: Important Question:
Do you have any specific weapon or gearset you want to take a closer look at?
If you search for it here on the forums, you may get some results on the discussion threads located here on Squidboards.

EDIT2:
If you're looking for a thread where you can exchange and find gears abilities easier when you have something to rally around, you can go here and look for it:
https://squidboards.com/threads/gear-exchanging-thread.31016/

EDIT3:
If you're looking for Gears and Weapons on Twitter use:
#Splatoon2 / #Gear or #Gears / #Weapon or #Weapons
You can also try putting specific gear names and weapons in hashtags and you might find something of value there.

There aren't much data regarding win/loss ratio etc, as the game is still constantly being updated every month at least, and new weapons are coming with some of them, until the game has it's last update with weapons and stages, the data and meta will constantly change, so it's very hard to find any at this point, so the only thing you can rely on as of right now is either looking at other peoples gears/weapons and whatever mode they are using them with, or try gears/weapons yourself to your need, it's almost faster and better to do it yourself than look for it online.

EDIT4: Deleted a lot of stuff, cause it actually went off topic too much.

Last edited:

Red Dress

Inkling
One word: Adaptation.

There are lots of places on Youtube and on Twitter where you can find optimized gearset for functioning with specific weapon set and stages, but as long as you keep remembering that you are one person amongst a team of four people, then all the information should come to you easy of what you need.

EDIT: Important Question:
Do you have any specific weapon or gearset you want to take a closer look at?
If you search for it here on the forums, you may get some results on the discussion threads located here on Squidboards.

EDIT2:
If you're looking for a thread where you can exchange and find gears abilities easier when you have something to rally around, you can go here and look for it:
https://squidboards.com/threads/gear-exchanging-thread.31016/

EDIT3:
If you're looking for Gears and Weapons on Twitter use:
#Splatoon2 / #Gear or #Gears / #Weapon or #Weapons
You can also try putting specific gear names and weapons in hashtags and you might find something of value there.

There aren't much data regarding win/loss ratio etc, as the game is still constantly being updated every month at least, and new weapons are coming with some of them, until the game has it's last update with weapons and stages, the data and meta will constantly change, so it's very hard to find any at this point, so the only thing you can rely on as of right now is either looking at other peoples gears/weapons and whatever mode they are using them with, or try gears/weapons yourself to your need, it's almost faster and better to do it yourself than look for it online.

EDIT4: Deleted a lot of stuff, cause it actually went off topic too much.

I agree. Adaption is always needed, especially in games that have frequent or major patches and as metas are created and evolve. I think gears sets also heavily depend and differ if playing SoloQ or Teams.

Re: EDIT1: All of them really. I will search more. Particularly, past optimal or popular gearsets from previous patches/tourneys.

Re: EDIT2: Yeah! I saw that one and some other member linked a japanese site for uploaded gearsets. I am more looking to collect data rather than buy/sell in the game.

Re: Edit3: Thanks for the great advice. I have never used twitter at all before, so now I understand the hashtag thing!

Again. thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it! Just one more question: Is there any place I can get VODs of past splatoon 2 tourneys?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I agree. Adaption is always needed, especially in games that have frequent or major patches and as metas are created and evolve. I think gears sets also heavily depend and differ if playing SoloQ or Teams.

Re: EDIT1: All of them really. I will search more. Particularly, past optimal or popular gearsets from previous patches/tourneys.

Re: EDIT2: Yeah! I saw that one and some other member linked a japanese site for uploaded gearsets. I am more looking to collect data rather than buy/sell in the game.

Re: Edit3: Thanks for the great advice. I have never used twitter at all before, so now I understand the hashtag thing!

Again. thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it! Just one more question: Is there any place I can get VODs of past splatoon 2 tourneys?
VODs of Splatoon tournaments?
That's very hard to find since you have to search for a specific one for it to show up, otherwise you just get random ones that you may not want to watch.
You should go around Twitch searching for tournaments you know, certain people do have recorded their tournaments privately so there might be a handfull for you to see, otherwise i would recommend looking up X Ranked people playing certain modes, and look at their gameplay.

The only one i know of is the E3 Invitation tournament for Splatoon 2 some month ago, there should be several recordings of it.

Otherwise i don't know much, i'm a self-learned person and i'm very stubborn in trying to learn myself of the game instead of looking at others, so i'm not watching Tournaments or participating in tournaments.

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for, for recorded Tournaments, Twitch and Youtube are your best sources.

Good Luck!

superlativeb

Inkster Jr.
gear wont make the difference, or rarely i should say. I came back to the game and rock all 1 / 2 slot pieces compared to all my pure sets I lost and still do just fine. Use it to bolster your natural play rather than emulate someone else. Learn to play what you like and how you like then add it and you'll just be better for it , not because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom