• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Why are 3 team splatfests 4v2v2?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
because Splatoon is a 4v4 game and to give the 2nd and 3rd team a chance to win the Splatfest, i actually like the idea of a 2nd chance!
but how it will actually play out idk..but i am expecting alot of salt 🤣

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Real answer: probably system limitations. On the bright side, it opens the door for bigger, more chaotic matches on hardware that's better than the Switch.

Frenetar

Inkster Jr.
With how frequently people disconnect I could see it getting very annoying sometimes. Sounds fun though.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
While hardware limitations can be one answer, I think a better answer is just why not? We haven't had an asymmetric mode in Splatoon before, so this was a chance to try experimenting with one. I know Tricolor balance hasn't been the best, but I think it's more interesting that they at least tried to do an Attack/Defend mode than if it had just been regular Turf War with three colors - that's boring.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Tricolor battles are really 2v2v2v2 battles except two of the teams are on the same team.
The reason why they're not normal turf war battles with three teams is:
a) Nintendo can't be bothered to make stages with 3-way symmetry exclusively for Splatfests.
b) Targeting would be a major problem.
c) It would be way less interesting.

Norilla

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1594-5651-4610
The 4 player team is the defending team, and the other two teams are the attackers.

How it originally worked was that during halftime, who ever was winning would be the defending team, but they weren't able to choose Tri-Color; instead, if they do Opens they'd randomly be put into a Tri-Color match against the two other teams. This was suppose to be a way for the loosing teams to make a comeback. The changes to make Tri-Color how it currently is was due to people not being able to find matches, unless you were on a super un-popular team, then you'd get it almost every time.

There's probably no more than 8 players, because the Switch likely isn't able to handle it. Fun fact, Splatoon 1 has better tick rates and less input/motion delay, because the Switch isn't able the handle those things, despite the WiiU being able to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom