• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why are female Inklings more popular?

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I had this on my mind for a long time, but I keep noticing this ever since I first bought Splatoon back in late July. Is there a reason why Inkling girls are more popular than Inkling boys? I mean, every time I'm either playing the game or watching gameplay footage on YT, it seems there are a good majority of people (including males) that play as an Inkling girl. I do see some people play as the boys, but it isn't all that often. Outside of this, I go to places like DA and there seems to be more fan art of the girls compared to the boys.

Note that I'm not bothered by this at all. I'm a huge nut for female Inklings in general (I play as one and it's pretty obvious on how much I love them from my avatar & sig alone). This is just a question I'm honestly curious about lately.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
And of course they were promoted more prominently than the boys. The only material where I could see a boy Inkling taking center stage was the tie-in manga, and even then he was a bit of a fool up until his team's epic turnaround in that Turf War.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Not totally sure, but I would agree that the female inklings are definitely slightly better designed (as others have said). I have actually always played as a male inkling, and I've thought about switching, but never done it.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Their hair tentacles look cooler imo, and they don't really look much different from male Inklings as far as body shape goes.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Even though the girl is more popular, I always thought the boy look better. I don't know. I feel beside some hats, the boy look better in majority of clothes. I do hate they hide his hair. He look so cute and dorky in glasses and visors. I think would like girl more if she had shorter hair.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Because I could totally see something "unique" and different with the obvious tentacle hair. The boys "tentacle" hair doesn't look like tentacles, only actual hair or a hat (unless you look really close).

The females win the "creature" debate, that's why I chose them.

RoccoSquid

Inkling
Their hair tentacles look cooler imo, and they don't really look much different from male Inklings as far as body shape goes.
They do actually have different body shapes. The girl squids have thinner waist and wider hips. It's not the most noticable difference, but it is there. Also, the girls sway their hips all the time, the boys don't.

The boys also have thicker eyebrows.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I am a male who plays as a female inkling. I really like their design, while simultaneously disliking the male inkling design. The girls embody the idea of a squid person much better than the boys as well. At first glance, the boys look more like elves than squid/human hybrids, to me anyway.

Plus the girls are adorable, and if you know me, I like cute things. :3

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
They're better designed and most of the hats look better.
I agree that their designs are much better compared to the males. The males look okay, but nowhere near as good as the females. Besides, I love their flowing tentacle hair. :P

And of course they were promoted more prominently than the boys. The only material where I could see a boy Inkling taking center stage was the tie-in manga, and even then he was a bit of a fool up until his team's epic turnaround in that Turf War.
I'm surprised they have a male Inkling in the center role and not the girl since they're more popular. I guess they see the boy as more of the foolish type and that's why he's the main character instead. I don't know how I feel if they chose a female Inkling for the role.

Male Inklings were actually an afterthought. Nintendo originally designed the Inklings entirely as an all-girls race, until some time shortly before the E3 reveal.
I keep thinking this is probably the reason why we only see female Octolings in the final product.

I am a male who plays as a female inkling. I really like their design, while simultaneously disliking the male inkling design. The girls embody the idea of a squid person much better than the boys as well. At first glance, the boys look more like elves than squid/human hybrids, to me anyway.

Plus the girls are adorable, and if you know me, I like cute things. :3
I agree. I think the females have more unique designs. Sometimes when I look at how the boys look, I can't help but think they look boring compared to the girls. And I do agree that the female Inklings are really cute. You don't know how much I love it whenever I hear them talk. They're one of the most adorable things I've seen in a video game. <3

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Probably because everyone likes girls :P. I play the male Inkling although I did play the female Inkling for a good while on my secondary.

Shikinouta

Inkster Jr.
This has literally been run into the ground at this point, but female inklings are 73% cuter than the average looking boy inklings. Not to mention that the girl inkling was the central focus of Sploon's marketing campaign, so yah we all bought into the marketing spiel (oh no God save us sheeple!).

Hate to be the one to say it, but I'd imagine a majority of male inklings are little kids who are still in the "girls have cooties" phase. Just a wild guess based on my time spent with Spoon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom