• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Why is rainmaker so frustrating in A rank?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
well the title says it all,i been playing splatoon 2 for a long time,and i keep improving,to the point i finally reached A rank with the 3 original rank modes! :D

of course the first few matches i had to adapt and this went well with Splatzones and Tower control,
i still lose as well but i can say that i did well/tried my best,

but now comes the frustration part for me..RAINMAKER..just..this mode in A rank frustrates me to no end! D:
i seem to mess up alot or i am not in sync with my teammates in this mode,my team and i,just seem to think differently all the time,and if that's not already annoying enough,the enemy team usually wins or got the closest..i just don't know what to do anymore! when i was in B rank i did so well with rainmaker and my team and i were mostly thinking the same way..how come in A rank Rainmaker is such a mess? x.x

can anyone relate? or give me some tips cause i already tried everything and it just won't work T~T

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Believe me, Rainmaker is frustrating in every rank... Many people consider it worse than clam blitz. This biggest problem in rainmaker is team coordination, but also making good decisions with the rainmaker. A good carrier who waits for your team rather than running head first into enemy territory, or making a pinch decision to bolt it for the lead when you're not sure if you're gonna have another opportunity to beat the enemy's huge lead. If you don't typically pick up the rainmaker, and you use a weapons that can kill pretty well like a shooter, 1HKO blaster, roller, slosher or even a brush, then you should push up ahead of the rainmaker to clear the way and reduce the threats to the carrier. In A rank, not everyone will know the best rainmaker routes so sometimes it takes a "This Way!" to get them to come. If they don't go where you are, then you have to adapt and get ahead of the path they're going. If you do typically carry the rainmaker, then you need to wreak havoc using the blasts to help take control ahead of you and get some kills. Then once you can tell you have a path - move. Also it's super important to remember to be the one to pop it in the beginning, on some maps more than others (super important on sturgeon, port for example) because it offers turf control. Then after you pop, rather than going ahead and grabbing the rainmaker - get kills. Once you have a number advantage of 2 or 3 (number of people alive on your team versus number of people alive on the enemy team), then pick it up and go ahead and push up. Even in Rank X, I've crossed paths with quite a view people whose carrier skills were a bit disappointing. It requires quite a bit of coordination and the way to approach the objective is much more challenging than the other game modes. Hope this helped!

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Many people consider it worse than clam blitz.
This is the first time I'm hearing this. Team coordination (or lack thereof) in a typical Clam Blitz match makes Rainmaker look like a finely-tuned machine by comparison.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
This is the first time I'm hearing this. Team coordination (or lack thereof) in a typical Clam Blitz match makes Rainmaker look like a finely-tuned machine by comparison.
Rainmaker is the easiest mode to screw up the objective which makes it sort of the worst solo game mode. In team play, clam blitz is far more broken with coordinated clam jumps. Just send in a baller and have your 2-3 footballs jump to the baller right next to basket and you have like 60 points right there.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
There is a possibility to solo Rainmaker, if you know where to shoot before the opponents come.
Rainmaker has a fixed area of appearance where as Clam Blitz has none, it's sort of fixed, but you have to traverse the entire map to find them

So yeah, i agree, Clam Blitz is more frustrating than Rainmaker, whereas in Splat1, i thought Rainmaker was the worst, now i know better.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
-Don't get wiped. Watch your active teammates at all times. Getting wiped means that your opponents can spearhead straight to your pedestal unhindered.
-Likewise, go for kills whenever you can. The less team presence the other people have the easier it is for yours to pass to the enemy pedestal unhindered.
-Despite this, some map control is nice. Watch your map, if at the start of the game a route is completely uninked, strongly consider going that way. Chances are you'll get a nice early lead going, if not a KO right then and there.
-Further on map control, specials such as Stingray/Baller/Inkjet are very helpful into shutting down the RM carrier. Don't forget to charge special every now and then and keep it ready until you need it.
-Don't succumb to tunnel vision, or stick to one route alone. It makes you very predictable and easy to shut down. If a route failed the first time, consider taking the other one the next chance you can get.
-If your teammate has RM, immediately try to predict where they want to go. If you have a better route in mind, shout "this way!" Never stop pushing unless it gets too dangerous to go on.
-If you're the RM carrier, follow your team whenever you can. Don't spam shots, the weapon should only be used if nobody else is there to ink the path for you or if you want to go for kills.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
well the title says it all,i been playing splatoon 2 for a long time,and i keep improving,to the point i finally reached A rank with the 3 original rank modes! :D

of course the first few matches i had to adapt and this went well with Splatzones and Tower control,
i still lose as well but i can say that i did well/tried my best,

but now comes the frustration part for me..RAINMAKER..just..this mode in A rank frustrates me to no end! D:

i seem to mess up alot or i am not in sync with my teammates in this mode,my team and i,just seem to think differently all the time,and if that's not already annoying enough,the enemy team usually wins or got the closest..i just don't know what to do anymore! when i was in B rank i did so well with rainmaker and my team and i were mostly thinking the same way..how come in A rank Rainmaker is such a mess? x.x

can anyone relate? or give me some tips cause i already tried everything and it just won't work T~T
I am sorry dude, it just happens. I have been bumped down before in Rainmaker. You just got to practice and get better. Maybe some days aren’t your good days, you can’t really put a finger in one things that is causing it.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
It can be frustrating in all ranks, ‘luck’ can be a greate bone here.
But especially in lower ranks or even S+ teammates just don’t seem to care enough about the carier.
Usually they run into the enemy base leaving the carier to fence for him/herself, or they focus too much on raw kills wil not helping the carier move.
It’s also rare to see someone inking multiple walls and (sneak) routes towards the enemy base.
Granted, this is solo play, but i expect that teammates atleast care more about the carrier

Some tips.
-ink the map, good map control and movement are very important.
-Use rainmaker shots for:
  • flushing enemies out of cover and hard to shoot places like camp spots.
  • back-up fire if the opposing team is blocking your team from advancing.
  • if going full-offence, use it for kills
  • self-defence if an enemy is going right through your lines.
-when using rainmaker shots, it’s important to read enemies as the shots have low travel speed and have some delay before explosion.
For example, if a brush is coming right at you, fire a shot near you feet or right in front of you so the brush is forced to back off or meet it’s doom.
-if you inked a path that the team as yet to notice and/or you know the team is busy being somewhere else or respawning, do let the RM carier know this by spamming this way. (and hope they take your advice to heart.)
-Keep your eyes peeled on every route towards the base, don’ just focus on one.
This allows you too put the enemy team off guard or trick them to scatter.
-keep you specials ready for a push or save it for when your starting to fail keeping a pushing team from your base.
-If you have huge lead, consider playing more defensively (save your specials if the enemy team is pushing for example) rather then risk multiple teammates from being splatted at once.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
That's funny, Rainmaker is my best mode. I'm S in it and have been for a while now. Slowly working my way there in every other mode.

I tend to play very defensively in Rainmaker. I almost never pick the thing up myself, unless it's do-or-die time or I see the whole rest of my team is going a great job clearing a path. Otherwise, I see my job as either hunting the Rainmaker-bearer, defending its location, or scouting ahead of it and inking a path while poking any defenders I happen to spot.

You do need to know the maps very well to anticipate the approach options and, in my case, anticipate where our own Rainmaker-bearer would like to go. I usually use ink mines to get early warning of when someone is attempting to clear a path along a side route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom