1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Why so low variety with bomb launchers?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by BirdAndreo, Apr 15, 2018.

1. BirdAndreo

BirdAndreo Inkster Jr.

Something it's bugging me lately... the trislosher noveau was supposed to have autobomb launcher but we all know what happened. Currently there are:

- 5 Splash bomb Launcher (the fifth will come with Light tetra dualies)
    - 5 Suction bomb Launcher (if you count separate the 2 splattershots - the last one will be the neo splash o matic)
    - 1 Curling bomb Launcher
    - 0 Autobomb Launcher
    - 1 Burst bomb Launcher (coming with the second Bamboozler)

I don't understand this lack of variety and it's a shame there are not going to be any autobomb launchers (unless shieldon pick will come back)

2. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Where are you getting this information?

3. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    Let's be honestly, Autobomb Launcher is just a bad idea in general.

Though I am surprised the lacking presence of Burst Bomb Launcher, but in a way it makes sense since Burst Bombs are the only bomb which kill without a buffer time. It was only on two weapons in Splatoon 1 (not counting Hero Shot).

Splat and Suction Bomb Launchers are both just the most balanced, hence why they're a lot more common.

Curling Bomb Launching being in that weird unique niche placement similar to Seeker Rush in Splatoon 1 because of their rarity.

Probably would not count the Firefin Splat Charger and Splattercope as different weapons. Also, no Splattershot has Bomb Rush up to this point.

#3 Gameboy224, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Ansible, Marfie, Flopps and 1 other person like this.
  4. BirdAndreo

BirdAndreo Inkster Jr.

http://leanny.github.io/splat2/en_files.html

Sorry, i messed up with the names! i meant the firefin indeed

5. Enperry

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    I played S1 but do not understand. Explanation please.

6. MeTaGross

MeTaGross Inkling Cadet

After all the weapons were released in the first game and new content was almost over entirely they a group of weapons called "Sheldon's picks" which were old weapons with new kits and fresh new colors. Some examples were the wasabi splattershot, berry splattershot pro, grim range blaster, etc.

7. Enperry

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Ok, I started playing Splatoon a few weeks after the last Splatfest. Well... Nintendo confirmed new content 'till late '19 I think. I miss you, Grim Range Blaster ;n;.

8. LiX

LiX Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8003-1880-5821
    I doubt we're going to see a burst bomb launcher. The burst bomb launcher was leaked along with the autobomb launcher without certain pictures or other details. And then it turned out the autobomb launcher was not coming. I assume the same is going to happen with the burst bomb launcher. Nintendo won't bring in "new specials" we haven't seen yet.

9. Sifu

Sifu Look Behind You
    Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3816-1808-3393
    I still expect to see the burst bomb launcher. Autombomb launcher was a very crazy idea that probably never would work well. Burst bomb launcher, however, seems decent enough

ϛ(°³°)/` likes this.
  10. ϛ(°³°)/`

ϛ(°³°)/` Inkling Cadet

So first of all, we totally have seen burst bomb launcher before in Splatoon 1, and even back in Splatoon 1 we continued to see new specials being released; the Carbon Deco came with seeker rush which we didn't see at all until that weapon finally came out.

More to the actual point though, you're right that that initial list of weapon sets is pretty old. There has been changes since then, for example the unfortunate change from the Custom Dualie Squelcher having ink armour to having sting ray. These changes get made to the game's coding with subsequent updates, so more recent leaks tend to be more reliable. Here's one of the more recent leaks of the new Bamboozler, and sure enough it still has the burst bomb launcher. This one seems pretty likely to stay.

Sifu likes this.
  11. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    But it's fun!

Now my chicken army will never get off the ground

H0kag3_ likes this.
  12. Alphah

Alphah Inkling

Yeah I agree with you, the variety is kind of lacking when it comes to launchers. I want the burst launchers, I feel it wouldn't be too broken because burst doesn't due too much damage. where are my dualies with burst bomb launcher

13. Dark Sage Walker

Dark Sage Walker Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Autobomb launcher seems like a frightening prospect. An entire army of little chicken walkers all coming after you would be nuts! An argument could be made that they would most likely only go after one person, but I think I can counter that hypothetical argument with a couple of my own.
    1. Assume that they all go after one target. That means for a good part of the duration of the Autobomb Launcher, one person is essentially removed from the fight due to needing to shake off all the little chicken bombs.
    2. Further assume that the person on the receiving end of the Autobomb Launcher makes a beats a hasty retreat like a smart squid. Now the Autobomb Launcher has the potential to drive nearly the entire team away but for a lesser amount of time.
    That's the way I see it anyway. Admittedly you would have a huge target on your head when using this so it is possible that your Autobomb launching time would be cut short quite often, but then someone has to risk getting tracked by Autobombs while making a mad rush to splat you. Meaning that some enemies would likely keep their distance to avoid that like so many do when a Curling Bomb Launcher goes off. Hmm...Now I can't decide if this idea is balanced or not. I'm leaning towards no, but then it also seems like it is a slower version of a Splat Bomb Launcher. I still say it's a bad idea, but maybe not as bad of an idea as I first thought.

Mr. 9 likes this.
  14. Alphah

Alphah Inkling

"That's the way I see it anyway. Admittedly you would have a huge target on your head when using this so it is possible that your Autobomb launching time would be cut short quite often, but then someone has to risk getting tracked by Autobombs while making a mad rush to splat you. Meaning that some enemies would likely keep their distance to avoid that like so many do when a Curling Bomb Launcher goes off. Hmm...Now I can't decide if this idea is balanced or not. I'm leaning towards no, but then it also seems like it is a slower version of a Splat Bomb Launcher."
    Nah, I don't feel it would be that broken, personally it would make turf and ranked much more interesting!

15. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    That is possible. But you could say the same thing about them implementing a new special in the form of an Ink Nuke. Sure, it would make things more tense and interesting, but I don't think it would be for a good reason. Still, only time will tell if they decide to go with it or not. Much like the Seeker Rush from the original, they could place it on a main weapon that doesn't see a lot of play to try to improve on its popularity by giving it something unique. Something like a Flingza Roller within Sheldon's Picks or a Carbon Roller. Could be a thing. Could be an interesting thing even!

ϛ(°³°)/` and Sifu like this.
  16. The Salamander King

The Salamander King Inkling Commander

NNID:
    sintiss0421
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3785-4018-5310
    Autobomb launcher would break the game. Burst Bomb launcher is just bad (as seen by the Sploon 1 Splattershot and Rimi). I would like it to be in the game as a nerf to weapons though.

Enperry and ShadowStriker34 like this.
  17. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    Or you can restrict the amount of chickens you can throw at a single time, or give a significant delay between chicken throws. It's not terribly hard to work with.

Enperry and Dark Sage Walker like this.
  18. ShadowStriker34

ShadowStriker34 Inkster Jr.

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3051-4861-5047
    The new tri slosher was originally supposed to have an autobomb launcher , thankfully it was changed

The Salamander King likes this.
  19. the

the Inkling Commander

I think autobomb launcher could work if they decreased the max amount of bombs thrown? Less than the other launchers. They could do this either through adding more of a delay before you can throw another bomb, or decreasing the default duration itself. They could also tweak the ranges at which you throw autobombs. So that if you just spam them they’ll end up at your feet, and be less effective. You would have to hold the button down to throw them a good range, which would also mean less bombs thrown overall.

ϛ(°³°)/` and ShadowStriker34 like this.
  20. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    These ideas for limiting the number of bombs you get from a potential Autobomb Launcher are rather good. Easiest way to do it would be to make it so there is a bit of a delay between bombs, as has been mentioned. That way the area isn't being too crowded with exploding chickens and it limits the overall number of them that can be thrown while still allowing an Autobomb Launcher to be a thing. With the right design structure going in, this could be a passable idea after all!

the likes this.
  21. 1MoreGame

1MoreGame Inkling

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8518-8021-3812
    I think an autobomb launcher would be too powerful and make people cry.

22. BirdAndreo

BirdAndreo Inkster Jr.

23. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Interesting. They used the Carbon roller as the go to weapon to play with the other strange bomb launcher (Seeker Rush in the first game) and now they are using it again for this game's odd bomb launcher. I guess why break from consistency if it's working?

the likes this.
  24. MotorGamer

MotorGamer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    MotorGamer
    I would like to point out that the Carbon Roller Deco apparently has Auto Bombs. Also it must me terror for whoever has to have 10 chickens following them so yeah...

25. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    I don't think that it will ultimately have Auto Bombs as a sub. So far, no weapon with a bomb launcher special has had the same type of bomb as the launcher, if it even has a bomb at all! I get the feeling that will be changed before the weapon releases.

MotorGamer likes this.
  26. the

the Inkling Commander

iirc the datamined set was
    Burst bombs and auto-launcher. God help us

27. Gameboy224

Gameboy224 Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Gameboy224
    Pretty sure it was changed to Sprinkler and Inkjet in a later patch.

28. the

the Inkling Commander

I think sprinkler/inkjet was the original datamine? This kit was discovered today (by @ leanyoshi on twitter) along with new sets for dualie squelchers and tenta brella

ϛ(°³°)/` likes this.
  29. ϛ(°³°)/`

ϛ(°³°)/` Inkling Cadet

Not sure if I'm scared or if I've found my new main.
    -Also i'm pretty hyped about the new-new-Custom Dualie Squelcher kit; hopefully it stays.

#29 ϛ(°³°)/`, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Dark Sage Walker and the like this.
  30. MotorGamer

MotorGamer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    MotorGamer
    I don’t know if this person was a hacker or a data miner but there was a video released of someone playing with a Berry Splattershot Pro in the Testing Range.
    Guess it’s kit:
    Suction Bomb
    Suction Bomb Launcher

31. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    That sounds mighty familiar! But I suspect it will change before its release. After all, they don't want a carbon copy of the weapon as it existed in the first game, right?

32. the

the Inkling Commander

Plus that would make two variants of a weap with the same subweapon, and that would be kinda lame imo

33. Sifu

Sifu Look Behind You
    Premium

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3816-1808-3393
    I have a suspicion that the Berry SSP is being faked. Sheldon's Picks would be in recent datamines if the data was in the game, plus Suction Bomb + Suction Launcher seems like an unlikely combo, especially since we have an SSP with Suction Bombs

(Although, I'm somewhat surprised we haven't seen any Sheldon's Picks yet)

the likes this.
  34. MotorGamer

MotorGamer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    MotorGamer
    Well I mean look at weapons like the Splattershot Jr. they pretty much took the Bubbler of 5is game and put it on the Jr. and Splat Bomb is there for both sets.

35. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    @MotorGamer I assume you mean from S1 to S2, because otherwise I could point out that the Juniors in S2 have Splat Bombs and Auto Bombs respectively.

36. Cyan

Cyan Inkling Commander

Why would there be Sheldon's Picks yet? We're still in the middle of normal game updates, it makes no sense to start adding third variants of weapons whilst some weapons are waiting for their second kits to launch. Sheldon's Picks happened in the first game due to the planned content schedule ending with Ancho-V Games and the Custom Hydra Splatling in January. The devs were so overwhelmed and taken back by the success of this new IP on a failed console and decided to give us a little more content as thanks for believing in this new game and taking the plunge (remember a lot of Wii Us were sold because of Splatoon alone). 3 months later Volume 1 of Sheldon's Picks dropped, with the 2nd volume following in June, and that was the end of content updates. Of course patches (and a final balance update in July) continued a little while longer after the final update.

I'd say it's likely we'll be seeing Sheldon's Picks, but at the same time seeing the recent datamine info from 3.0.0 it looks like we'll be having even more weapons and maps added into the game first and chances are it'll push the "1 year of content updates" into up to 18 months of content updates, only time will tell. Sheldon's Picks are a long way off this time around if we get them (there's a very high chance it'll happen again, hopefully with 3-4 volumes and different weapons getting highlighted, I'd love a third Splash-o-Matic with Baller/Splashdown/Ink Storm as its special), so just hold on until we get solid confirmation the "main" updates are finished, after all Sheldon's Picks were announced a month or 2 after the final content update occurred, so we won't have that information for a long time.

As for variety, don't worry about it, in the first game no-one ever used Burst Bomb Rush and Seeker Rush. The former was quite a formidable bomb rush, lots of painting and chip damage for kills and aggression, but was overlooked to the Tentatek (in case of the Splattershot), and the Refurb was overlooked to the Zink Mini (and also needed to be running pre-nerf Burst Bomb ink consumption). Seeker Rush is very much like Curling Bomb Launcher, a fun silly idea but ultimately not a good special. I'd argue Seeker Rush is better than Curling Bomb Launcher, the Seekers ran for longer, locked on to targets and caused a fair bit of chaos, but it doesn't seem like the Curling Bombs travel very far on the bomb rush special nor have I felt it threatening ever. People only ever ran with the Splat Bomb and Suction Bomb rushes in the first game as they painted well, cleared areas effectively and were real threats to enemies, so you'll probably only see players running those 2 in this game.

The devs are forever changing the weapon kits this time around (which is a good thing), and as people have already stated, Autobomb Launcher is returning on the Carbon Deco (complete with Burst Bombs). We are also looking at a second Curling Bomb Launcher coming into the game with the Tenta Sorella Brella, which replaces the original Ink Armour special on it. In the first game none of the kits changed (except the Sloshing Machine Neo, went from Sprinkler/Inkzooka to Point Sensor/Inkzooka, but the weapon wasn't fully finished with the older kit), and I only found alternate kits for the 6 Sloshers (All 3 + variants) in the Splatoon Global Testfire when they brought that back in the summer of 2016 (which you can read about in this really old thread I made here). The fact the devs are putting more thought into weapon kits is encouraging, because they are clearly trying to make a weapon gel with its kit without making it too weak or too powerful. Again Sheldon's Picks could step in and lumber a few more weapons with Autobomb and Curling Launchers, but the important thing is the better launcher bombs have more weapons to use them on.

AllToonedUp and ϛ(°³°)/` like this.
  37. MotorGamer

MotorGamer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    MotorGamer
    I mean the vanilla from S1 to S2 is as close as possible.
    And well theoretically the Bomb Launcher isn’t the same as the Bomb Rush

38. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    Theoretically, but we all know that they are the same beast just with a different hair color.

39. Flammie

Flammie Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlammieLL
    Remember when people datamined Splat1, found data of octoling stuff for the multiplayer and thought Octolings were gonna be playable?
    Yeah good times.

Lots of datamined stuff might be placeholders for weapon sets in the future, in the end, it may change around depending on how their testings of weapons go, if it's broken or not.

I don't believe anything unreleased until i see the Splat Dev team or Nintendo slapping their names on it beforehand.

[​IMG]

Dark Sage Walker likes this.
  40. Dark Sage Walker

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    That's probably a wise choice. Too many misunderstandings that happen if you just believe everything that gets datamined or somehow revealed early. Y'know, like the Ice Cream Gun?