• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why so many AFK players

ManchuWarrior

Inkling
Why on earth does this game have so many afk players causing complete garbage matches. This game needs AI or replacement players if someone isn't playing. 4 rounds in a row today where one player had ZERO points.

This game is trash with it's ****ty matchmaking and player balance.

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
I've wondered the same thing! I agree there needs to be AI or something for those who won't pick up the controller.

epicRedHot

Inkling
I COMPLETELY agree with this. There needs to be an A.I. that kicks in if a player is AFK for more than, say, ten seconds at the start of the match. There should probably be some visual marker that shows it's an A.I. and not just some weird player, though.

Karuro

Inkling
NNID
Carlosuper642
Think that, too. Maybe in a DLC of Splatoon 2 Nintendo'll add this? Maybe?

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
You mean turf war? I think people do that on purpose, the same happens with me many times.
On Ranked Matches I'm constantly on teams with 3 players, one disconnects after 2 or 3 deaths. I think those ones are save scummers who want to earn points fast so whenever they face a hard match they reset the save to the previous state.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Considering at how the AI is in the campaign, the AI wouldnt make much of a difference.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I don't see enough AFK players to really consider this a problem, I'm surprised to hear that anyone does. Usually it's D/Cs for me..

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
The worst on ranked is afk players. At least with a disconnect, you get auto quick respawn and you lose a low number of points. If someone sits afk or does nothing then you don't get that quick respawn and if the other team completes the objective just after theyve dc'ed or as they're still on the field, you lose the regular amount, possibly more depending on how the game has matchmade the eight players and decides you were on the advantageous team and deserve to lose more.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
don't see much afk in ranked matches, but lots of ragequiters though.

afk (or sometimes squid party people) players are mostly in turf war for some reason, and yes, its annoying.
i don't think an A.I. will do much though, i assume players will quikly find out how to easely take care of them or are too good.
(e.g. imagine A.I. sniper with god-like aim)
they may still be useful as support/inking places though.

they schould make a ban system like super smash bros 4 did or something similar imo.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Well there's nothing we can really do for this game now, Nintendo is already moving onto Splatoon 2. And to argue your point, if you can make a better matchmaking system that can perfectly balance hundreds of games at the same time with the weapon diversity that Splatoon has, be my guest. Nintendo did the best they could and Splatoon really was an experimental game at the end of the day.
I do agree that there are some very not fun matches due to other people disconnecting or afk-ing, but what you had was just really unlucky so I understand your salt. AI wouldn't solve this problem, in my opinion, but rather they should focus on stronger servers and easier transfer of data between players, which is something that the devs have already hinted towards. Some people just have bad internet (and others are just jerks), but they want to try and play the game and have some fun as well.

squidtopus

Inkling
Why on earth does this game have so many afk players causing complete garbage matches. This game needs AI or replacement players if someone isn't playing. 4 rounds in a row today where one player had ZERO points.

when people disconnect on my team I'm just there like
why.png

EternityNocking

Inkling
NNID
3DEnderKid

EXCUSE ME SIR YOU ARE IN FACT ****TY AT THIS GAME. GOOD DAY :)

Honelith

Inkling
When you think you're doing good and dominating the map, then seeing the match results and notce the enemy had 2 afk players. Rubbish.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
It's quite amazing how a game with 3-Minute Competitive Matches has so many AFK players. I understand it everynow and then, stuff pops up, but every other match? Come on people, this isn't Counter Strike, these matches are asking literally under 5 minutes.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
For me, it's almost always a Japanese account doing this—I tend to block them after every match so I hardly recall any account that didn't have Japanese characters unless it was a bunch of numbers and/or symbols.

It's often when we're behind and what's worse it's often while there's still 1~2 minutes left in the match. Ample time to still make a comeback. And there are a few that will do it inside of the first three minutes of the match.

OOOOooooh~ and then there's the worst one yet, a Luna Blaster Neo that gave up after the first minute or so. After a team wipe that gave me 50~60ish points. He just remained in the match playing around at spawn and jumping off the map.

We managed to turn the tide in a 3v4, taking the lead by 20+ points and barely hang on for the next minute and half. THEN he decides to join back in the fight as we're winning.

The only joy I got after that, as time wound down and we were all cheering on the tower, was shoving him off the tower into the water below.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
A couple of times in ranked and turf actually, my gamepad has suddenly switched off and not connected back to my Wii U, and it's not even the battery dying. I have to turn the Wii U off to get it working again. I should probably get it fixed properly but parcel tape has done the job but it's agonising watching myself just sitting there waiting to disconnect and be unable to do anything about it even though we could Ben winning or making a comeback. Apologies to the teams this happened to.

Mystrite

Full Squid
NNID
toffee_too_too
AI would be extremely hard to make is Splatoon (Not counting the octolings) as there are so many variables (Inked areas , enemy team weapons composition , route to take etc) whichan Octoling-Like AI wouldn't work well as the AI doesn't have to deal with many different weapons .

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
I don't even remember the last time I encountered an AFK player. I usually play ranked matches. Although, The addition of AI individuals playing in place of those who don't move and do anything sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom