• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Why so much hate on the Squiffer?

TheTrustedTaco

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4625-4802-9018
I've seen a lot of people say that the Squiffer is the worst charger, but I don't agree. It has a quick charge time and it's a one shot kill. The range isn't much of a problem because it outranges a lot of shooters and other weapons. The only real issue I can see it having is that longer ranged weapons can easily outrange you and take you out from a distance. Plus, it can hold it's charge and get up close like no other charger can.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeah, i don't know where you heard that from. Generally the E4K is considered the worst charger in the game, especially now Goo Tuber keeps getting buffed every patch while E4K gets left in the dust.

Squiffer's an average slaying weapon with a tough learning curve. The main downside it has is that it really can't ink well, and it needs that map control to keep the pressure on the enemy.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Really? Most people complain about the E-Liter since Goo-Tuber is getting constant buffs while E-Liter got nerfed to the ground with its transition from 1 to 2.

Squiffer is arguably one of the best mid-range weapons with proper map control and it has a low charge time, but a lot of people don't pick it up since it's a high effort mid tier weapon. Other than that, it's a pretty balanced weapon and I've never really seen any complaints about it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The problem with Squiffer is that it's a lot worse than other similar mid-long range weapons. It has a very similar kit and range to the Splattershot Pro, which kills faster and paints much better. Because of it's lesser range, it can easily be beaten out by good Bamboo players as well. Actually, if you think about it, Goober and Bamboo have better range and ways to get an advantage on other weapons. Bamboo charges insanely fast and has Curling Bombs to move quickly, while Goober can kill at 70% charge and has a kit with 2 large explosives for CQC fights. Squiffer isn't terrible, but it's definitely one of the worst chargers.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The problem with Squiffer is that it's a lot worse than other similar mid-long range weapons. It has a very similar kit and range to the Splattershot Pro, which kills faster and paints much better. Because of it's lesser range, it can easily be beaten out by good Bamboo players as well. Actually, if you think about it, Goober and Bamboo have better range and ways to get an advantage on other weapons. Bamboo charges insanely fast and has Curling Bombs to move quickly, while Goober can kill at 70% charge and has a kit with 2 large explosives for CQC fights. Squiffer isn't terrible, but it's definitely one of the worst chargers.
Pro has a much weaker killing presence than the Squiffer and only slightly less worse ink coverage. The only reason why people flock to the Pro, is because despite it's name it's very easy to pick up, has two good sets(Forge in particular) and is less sensitive to bad team comps in solo. That being said however, Pro has to contend with sluggish ttk, poor movement, poor ink coverage and awful ink efficiency whereas the Squiffer can do one thing really well (Killing).

Bamboo gets used very infrequently because the learning curve on it isn't so much as a curve as it is a brick. It's weak set doesn't help matters either.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Pro has slow movement, somewhat slow fire rate, and eats ink up much faster than the Squiffer. Not only that but Bamboo is pretty uncommon because it's setup is weak at the moment and its learning curve doesn't help either. While Goo Tuber is still unreliable for kills even with the buffs it received because its charge time is still slow and it's even worse at inking turf than the Squiffer.

Squiffer has good movement, low ink consumption, fast charge time and has a kit that perfectly compliments the "glass cannon" archetype, so that's not really a fair comparison honestly. If anything, Splat charger and Squiffer are one of the better chargers imo.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Pro has a much weaker killing presence than the Squiffer and only slightly less worse ink coverage. The only reason why people flock to the Pro, is because despite it's name it's very easy to pick up, has two good sets(Forge in particular) and is less sensitive to bad team comps in solo. That being said however, Pro has to contend with sluggish ttk, poor movement, poor ink coverage and awful ink efficiency whereas the Squiffer can do one thing really well (Killing).

Bamboo gets used very infrequently because the learning curve on it isn't so much as a curve as it is a brick. It's weak set doesn't help matters either.
Not sure what you're talking about in terms of "killing presence" but Pro kills in 20 frames, whereas Squiffer requires 49 (because of it's charging). Coming out of a charge hold is faster (at 35 frames) but still over 10 frames slower than Pro. Pro IS quite easy to pick up though. I am well aware that this is the main reason, however, the Pro just kind of beats it out in general. It paints a heck of a lot more than Squiffer, opening up it's movement options a lot as well. I'm not saying Squiffer is bad, but it definitely falls short when compared to other similar weapons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WnSDbSja9lar_VHZ89r_ix2mFk1KYsony2k71xtZDBc/edit#gid=0
Here is my source.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Why is squiffer under-used?

It has a currently un-valued sub weapon, point sensor (it'll stay that way for a while... if not indefinitely)
and it requires very, very consistent, spot on aim to be effective, unlike most other weapons with similar range.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Most people who know how to play chargers really well would say that it has good killing potential and can survive a lot better in tough situations as opposed to other chargers, just its short range and bad painting hold it back. I think it's a great weapon that is a bit underused. However in the professional scene you will never see them (and hardly see chargers at all) because the people playing at that level are so good at being unpredictable with movement and out-maneuvering people that it stands no chance. It gets to be a lot more of a challenge to use the higher level lobbies you're in. All in all how it goes with any charger is: Make all your shots, you win. Miss too many you lose.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Not sure what you're talking about in terms of "killing presence" but Pro kills in 20 frames, whereas Squiffer requires 49 (because of it's charging). Coming out of a charge hold is faster (at 35 frames) but still over 10 frames slower than Pro. Pro IS quite easy to pick up though. I am well aware that this is the main reason, however, the Pro just kind of beats it out in general. It paints a heck of a lot more than Squiffer, opening up it's movement options a lot as well. I'm not saying Squiffer is bad, but it definitely falls short when compared to other similar weapons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WnSDbSja9lar_VHZ89r_ix2mFk1KYsony2k71xtZDBc/edit#gid=0
Here is my source.
The difference being is that Squiffer is a OHKO weapon, which is generally what charger weapons do. The Pro needs at least three shots before the target goes down, assuming the weapon itself does not miss due to bad RNG. The squiffer can bounce out from cover, shoot with perfect accuracy and whoever gets hit will die with no warning.
Point being, with a full charge it's ttk becomes close to 0.

Pro does not paint a whole lot better than Squiffer, mostly because of how awful it's ink consumption is.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Ultra 997 My word your avatar picture looks familiar!

I don't think that the Squiffer is a bad weapon. I've never heard anyone say that either. The problem that I think exists with this weapon is that it has a high skill ceiling, especially as compared to other mid range weaponry. I've dabbled inits use, but I can hardly consider myself great with it. For mid range, I prefer the Mini Splatling or the either of the Pros.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The difference being is that Squiffer is a OHKO weapon, which is generally what charger weapons do. The Pro needs at least three shots before the target goes down, assuming the weapon itself does not miss due to bad RNG. The squiffer can bounce out from cover, shoot with perfect accuracy and whoever gets hit will die with no warning.
Point being, with a full charge it's ttk becomes close to 0.

Pro does not paint a whole lot better than Squiffer, mostly because of how awful it's ink consumption is.
Oh. Good point.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Green Waffles No, I meant high skill ceiling. The highest caliber of play one can aspire to with the weapon. Though I admit that high skill floor is also an appropriate term here. I see what you are getting at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom