• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why you shouldn't care about your rank.

G

girigiriHERO

This just dawned on me, maybe I'm a little slow, or maybe not many people have every thought of it this way.

I noticed a lot of people getting upset or losing hope over never getting their rank past a certain point, the one thing they should understand is that, them failing is a GOOD THING!

Hypothetically, let's say little Jimmy can't escape B hell, he'll get to A and get knocked right back down. THIS IS GOOD! Why would Jimmy want to stay in A- knowing he's gonna get his *** rocked? The reason you lose (mostly) is because your skill level isn't on par with the majority of the players, AND THAT'S NOT A BAD THING. Everyone has different levels of skill at everything in the world. Would you really want to play a Basketball game with NBA players and you're the only normal person? Of course not, it wouldn't be fun. On the same level, playing with S+ players wouldn't be fun either because you wouldn't stand a chance.

What you can do is accept that you are NOT YET skilled enough to play on that level, practice, practice, practice and eventually you will be able to hold you own and maintain that. I'm personally happy I can't level up to S+ because I've been so stagnant on S. If I can just maintain my rank in S, I wouldn't have a hope in hell to compete with S+ players.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
This is so true.

Also, I just made it to S+ but I know I am nowhere near as good as most of the other people in it. And I respect that! In fact I'm in awe.

I was stuck in S from January to just last week, and I'm glad because in that time I improved exponentially.

You rank up when you're ready and you rank down when you need to work on stuff. And from a statistical standpoint, it's basically impossible that your teammates are the reason you're stuck in a rank. So there's that.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
I've recently learned this as well:
I probably deserve it if I lose and if I rank down, I'll be matched with people my skill, and in the worst case people of lesser skill so I'd rather rank down and have fun matches than to fight tooth and nail for a rank I can't keep up with.

Now this even improves my skill, as I go on tilt way less often than back when I cared about my rank and I also play more instead of stopping for three weeks because I want to maintain my S rank.

In short: Just enjoy the game, experiment a bit, the Ranked system is screwed but who cares.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I wish there was an S- rank, since I always do really good in A+ and not so great in S, although it might not really help even if that was implemented. I'm fine with being in both ranks, and I believe that if you truly deserve a higher rank, you should be able to carry teams in your current rank.

And I hardly ever blame my teammates for my rank, I used to when I started but realized quickly how dumb that was. Although occasionally I feel like my teammate will do something stupid, like if someone has RM, 2-4 of enemies dead, 4 of us alive, and he won't just go forward when we're just a few points away and have minimal risk.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
I wish I could forget about my rank, but it's right in your face. It doesn't help that most of my friends graduated from S to S+ when I was away after the first LUTI to focus on smash for a while. Now I feel obligated to get to S+.

Thunderlipps

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TaylorWiiU2013
This is not completely true. I just played 10 matches where the game was tilted and I was matched against 2 or more A ranks when my squad was 2 or more A-s. The system does have flaws. And the scoring is a joke. Lost to 4 A +s last night when our squad was 2 A-s and 2 As and lost 10 points. If you are advantaged by rank you shouldn't gain more than 5 points and maybe a bonus 1 point for a KO. Thats my 2 cents

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
It's good advice, but it's hard to ignore.

I wish I could forget about my rank, but it's right in your face.
But yeah, it's hard to ignore that. My S+ was super hard to earn, I really want to keep it if I can. Thankfully, I haven't lost it, but I am in a war of attrition for my rank. I win and lose just enough to stay in the 40-60 range. But, I will admit, I may not belong in the rank. I rarely feel like I am a super contributing team member. I almost would not mind losing my S+ since I would not be paired with the super S+ players during Splatfest. :p

I do have an alt that is S rank, and I have a lot of fun not caring about my rank there. I just play for practice and for fun. I would love to get to S+ 99 one day. But I can't quite get even close enough.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Like others have said, this is a great point but rank can be hard to ignore. That's why I made a very silly alt! Crazy Hassan cares not for rank, only glorious combat and camels!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I desire to reach at least S rank so "you" won't have to worry about me.

I enjoy playing in twin, triple, and quad squads when I can, but my comrades range from A~S+. Which means our opponents are anywhere from A+~S+. And I'm always the weakest link.

I want my comrades to not worry about me losing point. I don't want them to fret when I rank down. I want them to know that I can handle myself. I don't want them to think they have to babysit me and instead realize I've got their backs.

It may not be the only reason why I want to be at least S rank, but for now it's the strongest one that drives me.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I wish I could forget about my rank, but it's right in your face. It doesn't help that most of my friends graduated from S to S+ when I was away after the first LUTI to focus on smash for a while. Now I feel obligated to get to S+.
Yeah having the letter in your face really sucks. I wish it were more like smash where your ranking was hidden away in a records option and when you lose or win all you see is the money you earned and experience you gain.

Overall I wish everyone elses rank was hidden from view and can only see it if they choose an option for it to be viewable.

G

girigiriHERO

To me better rank means better people to play against. When i go down a rank its a huge annoyance because i have to beat the people i already beaten.
With all the people ranking up and de-ranking it's impossible to say you've beaten them all, and what makes you think you wouldn't feel the same in S or S+? What I was trying to convey with this message is, if you rank up to S and immediately go back down to A+, your personal skill level (in most cases) isn't ready for S. Sure you may annihilate A+ and rank up to S again, but there is still that in between gap where you may be too good for A+, but not good enough for S and the only thing you can do is keep playing until you are literally carrying your team through A+ and then can compete on a level ground with the S players to the point where you won't drop back down as often (I'm sure it still happens to the best of us).

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
With all the people ranking up and de-ranking it's impossible to say you've beaten them all, and what makes you think you wouldn't feel the same in S or S+? What I was trying to convey with this message is, if you rank up to S and immediately go back down to A+, your personal skill level (in most cases) isn't ready for S. Sure you may annihilate A+ and rank up to S again, but there is still that in between gap where you may be too good for A+, but not good enough for S and the only thing you can do is keep playing until you are literally carrying your team through A+ and then can compete on a level ground with the S players to the point where you won't drop back down as often (I'm sure it still happens to the best of us).
There is no in between gap you're either A+ or S. If you made it to S then you have the ability to play against S ranks even if u de-rank, if you weren't meant for it then you would've never achieved it. I've always been able to keep up with next rank.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
There is no in between gap you're either A+ or S. If you made it to S then you have the ability to play against S ranks even if u de-rank, if you weren't meant for it then you would've never achieved it. I've always been able to keep up with next rank.
I don't find that to match my own experiences. In order to stay in S, you need to win 1/2 of S games; in order to get out of A+, you need to win perhaps 2/3 of A+ games. If you're only winning 2/3 of A+ games, however, there's no way you'll already be average among the S pool. Not everyone can be average or better upon joining a new rank - there are some people who win 4/5 of S games or more and soon return to S+, so, correspondingly, there must also be some who win fewer than 1/2 and quickly go back to A+. If you don't win half of your games, then I don't think that you're really 'keeping up' with that rank.

G

girigiriHERO

that is not true in the least, lots of people can back this up. There is gap between every variation of the ranks.

EDIT: To use a real world example, some drafts in sports from their farm team can't make it on the major leagues and go back to their farm team. Sure they may be amazing there, but there is a gap between those 2 levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
I don't find that to match my own experiences. In order to stay in S, you need to win 1/2 of S games; in order to get out of A+, you need to win perhaps 2/3 of A+ games. If you're only winning 2/3 of A+ games, however, there's no way you'll already be average among the S pool. Not everyone can be average or better upon joining a new rank - there are some people who win 4/5 of S games or more and soon return to S+, so, correspondingly, there must also be some who win fewer than 1/2 and quickly go back to A+. If you don't win half of your games, then I don't think that you're really 'keeping up' with that rank.
Losing isn't entirely your fault, winning battles is a team effort. Someone can do incredibly bad but still manage to win because of the effort there teammates put in. There has been a few battle were i or someone else had done exceptionally but still lost because one of our teammates wasnt doing so well. Maybe u werent having the best day so u werent playing your best or the match-up wasnt in your favor, if you felt like you've done your best then you did.

that is not true in the least, lots of people can back this up. There is gap between every variation of the ranks.
There is also a lot of people who agree with my statement, if u werent meant for it then you never would've ranked up.

G

girigiriHERO

Losing isn't entirely your fault, winning battles is a team effort. Someone can do incredibly bad but still manage to win because of the effort there teammates put in. There has been a few battle were i or someone else had done exceptionally but still lost because one of our teammates wasnt doing so well. Maybe u werent having the best day so u werent playing your best or the match-up wasnt in your favor, if you felt like you've done your best then you did.

There is also a lot of people who agree with my statement, if u werent meant for it then you never would've ranked up.

If your statement were true you'd never de-rank because of that 30 pts advantage when you rank up. Unfortunately people do de-rank because they can't keep up with the new rank they've obtained. I'm sorry to say but your analogy makes absolutely no sense.

EDIT: If I make it to S+ and lose 15 times in a row, not winning once, and de-rank, I'm meant for S+? Hardly. Placement needs to be proven by consecutive wins and enough loses to drag you down means you aren't ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom