• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Wii U System Update 5.5.2

Sansero

Inkling
On July 18th Nintendo released a new system update for the Wii U. Version 5.5.2
It fixes the known browser exploit used for Homebrew stuff and hacking. It also added a new error message to the system:
"The Miiverse service has ended. Miiverse and any software features that make use of Miiverse are now unavailable."

More details: https://wiiubrew.org/wiki/5.5.2
http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/5.5.2
How does that impact Splatoon?

First, if the update is installed hacking won't be possible anymore since the Browser exploit was the only entry point for hacking the Wii U. If you installed haxchi or similar persistent Homebrew software on your Wii U you're save and still able to do what you want (but without the browser exploit) [Source]
This hopefully reduces the hacker spotted in Splatoon online matches temporarily (if they weren't smart enough not to update or install haxchi). It won't take too long for the hacking community to find a new exploit.

As I first read the error message somehow thought that Splatoon will break and won't be available once the Miiverse service ends. (Maybe because I've overlooked the features in "software features")
After a while of thinking about that I concluded this only indicates that we won't be able to post Miiverse messages and drawings anymore and online play will still be available. (Why shouldn't it?)
So it's time to say goodbye to the "beautiful" graffiti at the walls :D
Nintendo might have to patch Splatoon (and other games) but that depends on their implementation of the Miiverse stuff.

What do you think of this update?
I'm actually very surprised they (somehow) cared about the Wii U even if the Switch is already out. I didn't notice that Nintendo released the update untli my Wii U installed it yesterday.

The only thing I'm upset about is that I wanted to experiment with the developement for the Wii U and maybe create a little game, but now I can't and have to wait for a new exploit. :(

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I am excited to see what kinds of mods people may be able to come up with for Splatoon 1 in the future, but it's nice Nintendo is trying to stop some of the hacking activity for now. I guess they figured like the rest of us that hacking could become rampant in the first game now that the second one is coming out.

Miiverse being cut from the game is pretty sad to see, not surprising though. No more people asking for shellfies, memes, or out of context conversations that are hilarious to read. "Hey FruitSnax what is ur FC? I will friend u."

RIP Splatoon 1 Miiverse. o7

Aeladya

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aeladya
Switch Friend Code
SW-4028-2792-9217
On July 18th Nintendo released a new system update for the Wii U. Version 5.5.2
It fixes the known browser exploit used for Homebrew stuff and hacking. It also added a new error message to the system:
"The Miiverse service has ended. Miiverse and any software features that make use of Miiverse are now unavailable."

More details: https://wiiubrew.org/wiki/5.5.2
How does that impact Splatoon?

First, if the update is installed hacking won't be possible anymore since the Browser exploit was the only entry point for hacking the Wii U. If you installed haxchi or similar persistent Homebrew software on your Wii U you're save and still able to do what you want (but without the browser exploit) [Source]
This hopefully reduces the hacker spotted in Splatoon online matches temporarily (if they weren't smart enough not to update or install haxchi). It won't take too long for the hacking community to find a new exploit.

As I first read the error message somehow thought that Splatoon will break and won't be available once the Miiverse service ends. (Maybe because I've overlooked the features in "software features")
After a while of thinking about that I concluded this only indicates that we won't be able to post Miiverse messages and drawings anymore and online play will still be available. (Why shouldn't it?)
So it's time to say goodbye to the "beautiful" graffiti at the walls :D
Nintendo might have to patch Splatoon (and other games) but that depends on their implementation of the Miiverse stuff.

What do you think of this update?
I'm actually very surprised they (somehow) cared about the Wii U even if the Switch is already out. I didn't notice that Nintendo released the update untli my Wii U installed it yesterday.

The only thing I'm upset about is that I wanted to experiment with the developement for the Wii U and maybe create a little game, but now I can't and have to wait for a new exploit. :(

Splatoon 1 will have their online shut off eventually, as will online services for all Wii U games, it probably won't happen for another year or so though. Since the Wii U was a commercial failure, I can't imagine online staying for much longer, I am sure they are waiting for the supply for Nintendo Switch consoles to be more steady before they shut it off and for their paid online service to go on for a bit. Miiverse shutting down is just the first step to this happening.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Will prevent any more cheaters in the game for now, but existing ones are almost definitely all using Haxchi or etc; and won't be affected.

Unfortunately, this also means all harmless mods (such as a pretty big portion of the people who still play Sm4sh) are now barred from entry until a new exploit is found. I'd love if one day Nintendo took a Bethesda-like route and made modding (with limitations, obviously) possible on their systems through themselves. It'll never happen, but I can dream.. can't I?

Sansero

Inkling
A little update:
Now a month after the release of the update 5.5.2 a new exploit has already been found. It's a bit unreliable but I got my Wii U hacked and installed Haxchi. I'm finally able to develop some Homebrew for my Wii U. :D
The downside is that hackers (if they were affected) now have the opportunity to use their hacks again in Splatoon. :(

I'd love if one day Nintendo took a Bethesda-like route and made modding (with limitations, obviously) possible on their systems through themselves. It'll never happen, but I can dream.. can't I?
This would be awesome. I dream too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom