• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Will Wii U emulation be viable for competitive Splatoon?

pooplooser

Full Squid
An uprising Nintendo Wii U emulator known as "Cemu" is currently able to execute and render games such as Mario maker, Mario kart, and Splatoon. As of recently, Cemu version 1.4c is able to run Splatoon's tutorial level at around 30 fps, only when a month ago it was running around 3 - 4.
Thinking about how fast the development of this software is going, it is of my best guess that the time it will take to reach 60fps with seemingly working textures will not be long to open up a new way to play: With a PC mouse.
My dream to play online Splatoon with a mouse has finally become a possibility with this under development, I believe it will make my e-liter 3k snipes more comfortable and accurate.

What do you guys think? The gamepad screen is accessible through emulation, so that isn't an issue.
Click-clack your reply below!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Honestly it sounds like a amazing idea BUT honestly what I am more worried about is how that internet traffic from computer and the Wii U will affect this game and more specifically affect the already intolerable lag

pooplooser

Full Squid
Honestly it sounds like a amazing idea BUT honestly what I am more worried about is how that internet traffic from computer and the Wii U will affect this game and more specifically affect the already intolerable lag
I do not understand why the Wii would interfere with anything as it won't be being used. You do have a point about lag in general though

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Also there is always a bug in the system
For example kirby's werid pixel goatee in the smash 64 ROM

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Although in all seriousness I have to ask how does the minimap and superjumping work? These mechanics are important part to splatoon and with a monitor I am curious to how it will work on the computer

Cyan

Inkling Commander
This is going to be a very controversial topic, especially in whether tourney organisers decide on allowing emus. I am on the side of not allowing this, because emulators are a lot easier to use in the way of hacking and the like. On top of this, it'll end up harming Nintendo if people use Cemu to join in, but don't own a Wii U or don't own Splatoon (or both). I'm totally fine with people using emulators when they play on the real disc, but naturally there's too many legality issues surrounding emulators. There's also the fact that you'll need a tank of a CPU to run Splatoon at 60FPS, not to mention having to find a way of getting onto Nintendo Network without being banned by Nintendo. No-one knows how Cemu will impact online matches when thrown into one with real Wii Us. I'm not sure how you'll make the mouse be classed as the gyro for the game, but it will in no way work like FPS/TPS games do that are developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, since the mouse will just replicate the gyro. That would also be very controversial, since people would say that it classes as cheating to play the game like that, because you get way more accuracy then you would using the GamePad.

If the person playing on Cemu's framerate drops below 60 for even a second, the game will desync from the Wii U players, causing lag and probably creating the "Connection is Unstable" issue, and dcing everyone bar the emu user from the match. Splatoon runs at 60 on Wii U until bomb rush is activated, and I honestly don't think anyone is going to have a powerful enough CPU and GPU to make it work well. I honestly don't see this working out, and Nintendo will most likely find a way to detect when someone playing online is on Cemu or another emulator, and will be able to deny the connection, thereby preventing emulators from connecting to Nintendo Network (since they're running the servers this time, unlike the Wii/DS with GameSpy running the servers). It's just not viable, and won't really be viable until we need to use emulators to play Splatoon so we can connect to legacy servers when Nintendo shuts down the servers for Wii U and 3DS, and by then, we may very well be on to Splatoon 2, or possibly getting near the end of Splatoon 2 in preparation for the 2nd successor (Splatoon 3).

pooplooser

Full Squid
Regarding there being issues playing on different platforms, personally I would be alright with "Emulator only" tournaments. Again this is years down the road.

For having the gamepad, there is always the option to pick up another computer monitor and set it next to your main, and have gamepad content emulated separately there. That way you don't even need to look down.
In my opinion this has more upsides, and you would think that you could map function keys to super-jump to opponents and back to the base EXCEPT BEAKONS.

I can completely understand the legal issues emulators impose, I have the physical disk so I'm alright. Being the wrong way to think, I live in my own fantasy world where nobody uses emulators for piracy in this case. Stop bringing back reality :(

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
This makes me groan so much haha... I really wouldnt want PC master race hacksters and tricksters making Splatoon less fun for the rest of us.

What happens in tournaments is totally different though. Thats up to the organizers to decide.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
I'm pretty excited, that there will be a way to play Splatoon on PC.
This game was the only reason, why I was forced to buy a pile of ****, also known as WII U.
But how will they solve the issue with the gamepad's touch screen, when playing with
mouse and keyboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom