• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Worldwide Frostyfest (Splatfest): Family or Friends?

Cyan

Inkling Commander

A Splatfest we've been aware of before the December Smash one was announced. I figured since we're about to get the news announcement in-game we should get this thread out and ready. This is also the perfect time to remind everybody to keep an eye out for the Switch news article that'll give us the gear pictured below. So who will you side with? Will we see a good or bad Shifty Station? How do you think the voting will go? What piece of gear is you favourite, and do you think they'll get useful abilities or not?

Padre

Pro Squid
Sad for those who dont have either.
Dont get me wrong, I do have both.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Anybody else surprised to see people getting their hands on the festive hats already? You can even order them from Murch...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I have a... history with my family. My fiance and several friends have similar stories. Accordingly, I'll be likely to go Friends unless many friends convince me otherwise (which is a tad ironic). I love you all ;)

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Yeah not a fan of how the new gear looks either. The abilities are great on all of them though. During the holidays, it’s generally spent with family particularly those I don’t see any other time other than the holidays. And those who are married or have kids are more than likely gonna pick family.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
Sleetfest***

I’m picking Family since Christmas and summer are the only times I really get to see them, but it was a difficult choice.

Merry Cephalomas everyone!

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
I chose Friends for many reasons.

1. I have little to no family left and the family I do have left pisses me off sometimes to the point where I cut them off altogether.
2. Family treats you like **** over the smallest thing and disown you too. Friends love and accept you no matter what.
3. Family takes you for granted and expects you to get over it just because they're family. F*** that s***!

Basically friends are far better than family and family is overrated!

Maave

Inkling Commander
Several nice little touches in this Splatfest. The start screen music is different. There are the bells at the beginning of the match. The ink is extra sparkly. The Sting Ray beam is sparkly!

Shifty Station is decent. The map is fun and interesting but it stalls right in the middle. Neither team tends to get past the center area. The map needs to be a little wider and shorter.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I had an outstanding splatfest thanks to my friends. Here's to another year!

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Hmm, quiet thread here. Ah well...

This one went pretty alright compared to last Splatfest, mostly because I had the motivation to get to King rank this time. Both teams were pretty solid, even though early on I saw Team Friends win more 100x and 10x Battles. I seriously thought that Ninty had decided to only show us our major victories until I saw some people win for Team Fam. Anyway, looking forward to the results on Monday-ish.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
It was another pretty decent Splatfest for me; I went 18-5 and only really had a frustrating time in the middle of it when we would either get completely locked out because someone matched my Ballpoint range, or because my teammates just kept being K/D fodder for the other team. I liked the colours and sparkles in our ink, and those Stingrays were pretty nifty too. The Shifty Station was a bit weird, but the candle gimmick was kind of fun. As per usual, people on jump pads became a shooting gallery for me.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Splatted by flooder? lol

Definitely not a fan of this shifty station. Mainly because half the time my team was slow to getting to the middle, and basically once a team team takes over the middle, it's a wrap....unless they manage to screw up somehow. Seems like it took the longest to get to Queen level. Not too confident Team Fam won. I'm sure they won the popular vote though, because I played a few mirror matches. The matchmaking seemed to be worse thsn ever....almost unbearable. You know I'm noticing mostly the much younger Splatoon players are voting Friends, and that generally makes sense. If I was a teen, I'd more than likely would've voted Team Friends. If you're really young, then yes cherish that time with friends, because as you get older, some will go off to college , get a job in another state or country, get married, family etc. And when that happens , you won't get to see them as often as you did as a teen. And Splatoon has a lot of LGBT members in the community, I'm also curious of the stats on how the LGBT community voted, because I saw a few LGBT posts in the square supporting Team Friends, implying that their families were unsupportive of them. :( If that's the case , then it's understandable why they'd vote Team Friends. You know when they do 48 hour Splatfests , they should give you double the amount of sea snails. Or at least have SR open the entire Splatfest.

Cephalobro

I waited for the day in which Marina finally surpasses Pearl in Splatfest wins, definitely makes up for that atrocious Squid vs Octopus Splatfest.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I agree Shifty was pretty bad. It was yet another stage where getting the middle means you have pretty much won. And IF the other team manages to grab it, they'll have the advantage in like 5 seconds. It's just too all-or-nothing to really work.

But I actually had quite a good time this fest, despite the bad layout of Shifty. It helps that I haven't played since last fest, so I could just casually have some fun with my favorite weapons. Also played some SR and got the new shoes while I had the game booted up.

I AM a bit dissapointed in the results, though. I had a pretty good W/L ratio and most of the more intense matches were against fellow Fam teams.
I waited for the day in which Marina finally surpasses Pearl in Splatfest wins, definitely makes up for that atrocious Squid vs Octopus Splatfest.
Oh, you'll sing a different tune when Pearl wins the inevitable Pearl vs Marina fest.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
It was beautiful~!!

I hope our last fest gets just as decked out in not more!

Except for the too usual center choke point, I was okay with this Shifty Station. And I'm not at all surprised by the results. Did a Team Family run with a friend. Only fought Team Friend 7 times out of 37 matches.

That's right, 30 ditto matches out of 37 total matches.

My solo run on a Team Friend alt account? One ditto match. =/

At least it felt like there were quite a number of new and occasional players in this fest--many sub-level 30s that didn't play like smurfs. Hopefully they'll stick around! And other than finding it amusing that I was fighting for Team Family alongside a friend (instead teaming up with a nephew lol)--no matter the skill level, yall really need to respect Splatlings instead of running face first, in a straight line, into one. And remember, if a Ballpoint or Nautilus Splatling stops firing but is still looking at you, do not take the bait!

But yeah, I somehow enjoyed this fest more than expected:
Code:
https://twitter.com/8mphansible/status/1081830789363294208

Ondra

Inkling
NNID
unspecified
Switch Friend Code
SW-0000-0000-0000
Did a Team Family run with a friend. Only fought Team Friend 7 times out of 37 matches.
You were not playing good enough then. I played more than half of all matches against Team Friend and I was Team Family as well.

anzumajo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1480-8765-6023
My sister-in-law and I (Team Fam) mostly played against Team Friends. I had 42 maches and it's a 30:12 ratio.

Still was fun and those 3 additional super sea snails aren't the world so I really can't be bothered to care. Had my fair share of fun, that's what's important! (Well, except for the shifty station layout this time. Eff that one.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom