• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Worst ability in your opinion and why?

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I'm curious to see which ability is the worst/not useful in everyone's opinion? If I had to pick, I would say Respawn Punisher because it removes 72% of your gauge if you die and even Recon in 1 had some sort of niche, but was still bad.

kiddysquid

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0998-1500-6309
Cold Blooded is probably the worst cause no one uses Point Sensors and Echolocator is gone. It has a very minor effect on Stingray but if your opponents are using it right they're probably hanging back in a safe place where they'll see you before the effects come in.

Respawn Punisher is actually pretty good, you just gotta use the right weapons and play the right way. I use it from time to time with the Custom Jet Squelcher and I just hang back and support my teammates, trying to avoid all direct conflict while picking off opponents from a distance and running away from anyone who tries to challenge me. It works for me most of the time.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Cold Blooded is probably the worst cause no one uses Point Sensors and Echolocator is gone. It has a very minor effect on Stingray but if your opponents are using it right they're probably hanging back in a safe place where they'll see you before the effects come in.

Respawn Punisher is actually pretty good, you just gotta use the right weapons and play the right way. I use it from time to time with the Custom Jet Squelcher and I just hang back and support my teammates, trying to avoid all direct conflict while picking off opponents from a distance and running away from anyone who tries to challenge me. It works for me most of the time.
Cowardice doesn't win matches, particularly in high-level play. Adding 1.2 seconds to your own respawn time can cost matches. Respawn Punisher is extremely high risk for a reward that isn't comparable.

Cold-blooded is arguably still the worst ability, but with Dualie Squelchers on the rise it might be useful occasionally. Maybe.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310

I would actually comment but it seems you have taken most of the words out of my mouth already.

Cowardice doesn't win matches, particularly in high-level play. Adding 1.2 seconds to your own respawn time can cost matches. Respawn Punisher is extremely high risk for a reward that isn't comparable.

Cold-blooded is arguably still the worst ability, but with Dualie Squelchers on the rise it might be useful occasionally. Maybe.
You are mistaking cowardice for defence, the position CJS is supposed to play. With its slow ttk and high accuracy requirements, you can't just run into the action when using CJS, you have to hold back and pick them off from a long range, punishing them as they attempt to rush you down. This is why Jet is one of the only weapons that can use RP effectively, as you should not be dying more than 2 or 3 times a game.

I would say that Cold Blooded is by far the worst ability right now, but Stealth Jump comes close.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Cold-blooded seems pretty useless (although I like to spam point sensors so yeah, please continue to not use CB) but I would say either Thermal Ink or Haunt are the worst since they take up a main slot.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Personally, Bomb Defense Up. I've tried to run this before and still been killed by bombs. But sometimes it does work, so I'm gonna agree with most others on this thread. Cold-Blooded sucks.

really.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Cold Blooded is definitely the worst. They shouldn't have even made it into a stackable. One main now only reduces tracking time by about 25%, from the 50% it use to be as a single main. It has almost no application if there aren't any point sensing sub weapons on the enemy team. Ink mines are pretty rare to see and point sensors are even scarcer of a sub than in the previous game.

I know this isn't a suggestion thread, but if I could wave a magic wand and turn cold blooded into a better ability, or maybe this can be my suggestion for the ability in the long distant splatoon 3, I'd turn it back into exactly what it was in splatoon 1 (an exclusive ability, on shoes probably since shirts are full, that reduces tracking time by 50%), plus with these new thermal tracking mechanisms, you'd get a notice in the form of a white point sensor circling you whenever you were being tracked by one if you were wearing the ability. It wouldn't shorten the duration of the thermal tracking, except it would because now you would know to swim.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
For the worst ability, it's hands down Haunt. Haunt used to be this ability where your entire team could see an opponent who splatted you for 10ish seconds. In this game, they're marked with the thermal ink effect for 30 seconds. But it's only for your eyes.

Which takes most of the utility Haunt had in the first game. Haunt was able to inform the team about a flanker, or have someone revenge kill the haunted player, because the team could easily see them and punish them.

In this game, the haunt is personal. It's a 1v1 deal. Say your opponent kills you in a trade. And that you killed the opponent after they just killed you. The game will take haunt away from you. There you go, your main shirt ability gone. Say you're close to the opponent, but they're behind cover. You don't get to see them, literally taking the point out of haunt. Say you die, and your opponent dies to your teammate immediately afterward. Nope, no haunting allowed. Again, making the perk worthless.

So I'd definitely say the worst ability in the game is haunt. There isn't much utility behind it, and it's a solo ability for a team based game like splatoon. (Just change it back to what it was in S1 Nintendo)

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I usually like to differentiate between stackable abilities and unique abilities.

As for the stackable ones, Cold-Blooded takes the cake. As pointed out by all my forespeakers, sensors are just not enough of a threat in this game as most meta weapons don't have it. Everyoen will ask themself: "Hmm, should I put on Cold Blooded? Nahhh. I'll pick something more useful". And right now it looks like this will always be so in Splatoon 2. Nintendo would have to bring echolocators back to atleast snipers to make it any useful.

Regarding unique abilities, I feel it's hard to say. I'll settle with Stealth Super Jump though, because it is not at all stealthy and thus COMPLETELY misses its point. People can still you from quite far away. They'd really have to make it invisible for it to be worthwhile again.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Personally, Bomb Defense Up. I've tried to run this before and still been killed by bombs. But sometimes it does work, so I'm gonna agree with most others on this thread. Cold-Blooded sucks.

really.
I know a lot of people wear 1 sub but I've been experimenting with 1 main and 1m1s and I think its actually pretty awesome. It could just be a placebo, but if feels like I survive a lot that would otherwise kill me, especially in more chaotic modes like TC and SZ. When someone surprise splashdowns and you need to get away quick or you see a chicken possibly a split second too late, I think I make it out alive a lot more often.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I know a lot of people wear 1 sub but I've been experimenting with 1 main and 1m1s and I think its actually pretty awesome. It could just be a placebo, but if feels like I survive a lot that would otherwise kill me, especially in more chaotic modes like TC and SZ. When someone surprise splashdowns and you need to get away quick or you see a chicken possibly a split second too late, I think I make it out alive a lot more often.
Huh. I'll use it more because if what you're saying is true, it was probably just me.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'm going to pick Haunt on this one. Haunt got nerfed really hard for literally no good reason. People already weren't convinced on it during S1, and then it got worse.
If you want to thermal mark squids you're way better off with Thermal, which is in itself a very niche ability restricted to a select few weapons.

The other personal close contender is Quick Respawn. I still don't get why some pros think it's being slept on. There's no guarantee you'll get it to activate during games, and if you managed to get splatted twice without a single kill chances are the enemy will have pushed so far ahead your next try won't have much of an impact. There are better safety abilities out there (QSJ/Comeback/especially Special Saver), that are more reliable. Maybe there's just something I'm not getting here, but really with my limited attempts at using QR i didn't get much results with it.

(Edit: After some research, I've changed my mind on QR)

Last edited:

Lotus-Bun

Inkling
NNID
Thefuri
Switch Friend Code
SW-2071-9315-6533
Quick Respawn is definitely the worst ability. It only works if you die without splatting anybody. This makes it so experienced players can't really get much of this ability since you have to die WITHOUT splatting someone.

Reactions: the

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The reason people wear 1 sub of Bomb defence is to survive Inkjets. When the game launched, Inkjets would always kill in 2 sots if they were indirect. By adding 1 sub of bomb defence you would be able to survive 3 indirect shots. Nintendo nerfed the Inkjet so that now you don't need any defence, but a lot of people still like to include it.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Haunt = Because when i get splatted, the opponent also get splatted right after or it's wasted because they die too fast anyway.
Quick Respawn = Only works when you get splatted first without getting anyone, it's STILL useless even when you get it to work.
Respawn Punisher = Not worth the trade-off for it, if you get splatted with this, your team is already being punished for having one less team mate for a longer period of time.
Cold Blooded = Situational, if none of the opponents has any detection moves, this ability is beyond useless

I don't know what they were thinking with all these abilities and changes?
I only use these abilities whenever i need to fill up some gears i have with tickets...

Anything that grants you better mobility and anything that grants you more ink in your tank are infinitely better as they are used all the time when you are playing.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Personally, Bomb Defense Up. I've tried to run this before and still been killed by bombs.
Can confirm that Bomb Defense does help with the majority of the threats coming from your enemies. It does not only reduce the (indirect) damage from bombs, but also from all the specials that deal damage. Using a pure (head-) gear of Bomb Defense, things like this are possible:
(Do not try this at home, kids)
I would've easily died if it wasn't for my headgear shaving 20% off the damage!

You can check how much your current amount of bomb defense is reducing by visiting loadout.ink and inputting your gear, but I can definitely confirm lasting longer on mid and towards missile spam and stinkrays using my pure Bomb Def headgear. I rarely use more than that though. 20% off is enuff for me, personally. :D

I'll agree with everyone who said "Haunt" is the worst ability in the game rn, with Quick Respawn being a close second. The only thing Quick Respawn has going for it vs. "Haunt" is that the probability of it activating is slightly higher when you're being a carpy Aeromeme user with 0 kills and 0 assits whose main existence is to ink turf and nothing more. Oh, and then there's Thermal Ink. "Yay, I always wanted a crappy point sensor!" :p

Things that are honorable mentions but can have their uses: Stealth Jump and Drop Roller. Drop Roller is a gamble, it can work at times, but more often than not you'll still end up getting shot. Stealth Jump only works against less observant enemies, as you're still visible while flying. So anyone standing away far enough can clearly see you coming. It's a nice-to-have but nothing too special. Cold-Blooded can see a potential rise once weapons like DS become even more common, but I can see better, and less situational abilities fill the slots regardless.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Quick Respawn is definitely the worst ability. It only works if you die without splatting anybody. This makes it so experienced players can't really get much of this ability since you have to die WITHOUT splatting someone.
Last time I checked, QR was actually making a comeback in the Japanese Splat Zones meta. Basically, you run all weapons that are great at painting and a decent amount of QR on each. Since most of these weapons have very low range and are horrible at killing (ie: Aerospray and Inkbrush), the QR comes into use a lot more than it would on most others. You and the rest of your team rush into the zone and paint as much as physically possible. If you die, you come back 4 seconds later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom