• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Worst/Best Ranked Modes

Bluegrowlithe

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3387-2193-7514
Post whatever your favorite or least favorite game mode and why.

Ive only been playing splatoon two for about 5 days got up to level 10 and tested out the new game modes. I had watched Chuggaaconroys let's play on splatoon the original so I knew some of the game modes from previous the previous version. I played Clam Blitz which so far is the best by far. Its creative interesting and fun to play for hours. I then played rain maker today which has a similar vibe but a little more chaotic. The I played Splat Zones.

Splat Zones is so awful it frustrates me even when I win. The whole premise of if you are wining then lose you have to make a huge push back is ridiculous. Ive played multiple matches where I used a carbon roller to kill off the opponents till eventually meeting my end and we got to 3 or 1 points away from winning and had to get 60-69 penalty points off because we were winning. I understand it balances the game, but the opposing team brings us down to 50 and we take the lead back. Then they take the lead back because the penalty points and has almost 10 penalty points. If anyone likes Splat zones Im curious why so please post below.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well my favorite game mode (along with countless other people) is splat zones. Reason being, it is the game mode that best reflects how good you are at the different mechanics of the game. It reflects how well you work as a team and how much you understand about the game. You need to use specials to get back in. You need to win 1v1s to get back in and hold your spot and to pressure the enemy team. The way I understand zones is Pick, Paint, Pressure. From the very start of the game, it is your job to get kills. Don't even worry about zone at the start. Just get kills. Then, if you get more kills and have control, paint the zone. From there, you pressure the enemy team and don't even let them into zone. If you lose control, you have to push back in enough not only to paint the zone, but to pick off the enemy team. Then you pressure again. All of these things require good individual skill, and team play. The game mode is least likely to be cheesed like a BS rainmaker push or triple clam jump. It's the most balanced mode and is most fulfilling to win. It shows your understanding of the game.

Bluegrowlithe

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3387-2193-7514
Well my favorite game mode (along with countless other people) is splat zones. Reason being, it is the game mode that best reflects how good you are at the different mechanics of the game. It reflects how well you work as a team and how much you understand about the game. You need to use specials to get back in. You need to win 1v1s to get back in and hold your spot and to pressure the enemy team. The way I understand zones is Pick, Paint, Pressure. From the very start of the game, it is your job to get kills. Don't even worry about zone at the start. Just get kills. Then, if you get more kills and have control, paint the zone. From there, you pressure the enemy team and don't even let them into zone. If you lose control, you have to push back in enough not only to paint the zone, but to pick off the enemy team. Then you pressure again. All of these things require good individual skill, and team play. The game mode is least likely to be cheesed like a BS rainmaker push or triple clam jump. It's the most balanced mode and is most fulfilling to win. It shows your understanding of the game.
I do like your points, and I feel like this is probably a low level problem. There is another game I play, Town of Salem, where in the silver rank of ranked the game is very balanced almost one sided on the mafias side. In gold ranked however its the exact opposite it's almost impossible for the mafia to win if town knows what they're doing. My point there is the better I get and higher rank I get the better team and understanding of the game and closer matches will happen. The other point about town of salem is that how drastically experience and a good team can change the experience overall.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
My personal favorite is Rainmaker. It's not the mode i'm the best at, but it's hectic, chaotic and everyone gets a fair chance at winning even if the enemy has a sizeable lead. It's fun!

My least favorite mode is Clam Blitz. Take the chaotic-ness of Rainmaker, and make it a bit too much. There's too much coordination required to make team play with just 2 promps possible in solo queue. I frequently see half my team trying to push while their entire team is dashing to our basket. A unlucky wipe can mean a massive lead to which the opposing team cannot easily recover from.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
My favorite mode is Rainmaker because I love how frantic the mode is and how it requires basic team synergy to win, plus I like how quick games can end if you play your cards right.

Least favorite for me is Tower Control. I don't like how you're forced to stay in an area that you're constantly being targeted in and the abundance of blasters. It gets frustrating when people don't get on tower when the coast is clear OR when my teammates go leeroy jenkins to the tower and get killed 2 seconds later.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Tower Control because it doesn’t get as chaotic as Rainmaker, but still takes advantage of the whole stage unlike Splat Zones. Also finding new strategies on stages and how to take the Tower back can be fun for me.

Phouad

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7319-4854-5494
Favourite: Splat Zones. It’s kind of like turf war in one area. The zones(most of them) are small enough to take control of with a single special. It measures the most raw skill you have in the game, and is easily the most basic mode of the four.
Least favourite: Tower Control. No matter what I do, I can’t stop losing in this mode. I don’t know how to counter against a roller who has the ability to splat anyone on the tower. In my opinion, it’s the most unbalanced mode. You need to have certain weapons to win, and even then, the mode gets way too chaotic.
As for Clam Blitz and Rainmaker, I like them equally. They are very similar, in the fact that it’s very easy to turn the game around during overtime or before that. I like the fact that if the other team is at, say, 80 points, you don’t have to worry that the game is set in stone, because it is not. You always have the opportunity to counter.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Favourite: Splat Zones. It’s kind of like turf war in one area. The zones(most of them) are small enough to take control of with a single special. It measures the most raw skill you have in the game, and is easily the most basic mode of the four.
Least favourite: Tower Control. No matter what I do, I can’t stop losing in this mode. I don’t know how to counter against a roller who has the ability to splat anyone on the tower. In my opinion, it’s the most unbalanced mode. You need to have certain weapons to win, and even then, the mode gets way too chaotic.
As for Clam Blitz and Rainmaker, I like them equally. They are very similar, in the fact that it’s very easy to turn the game around during overtime or before that. I like the fact that if the other team is at, say, 80 points, you don’t have to worry that the game is set in stone, because it is not. You always have the opportunity to counter.
TBH I hate Rainmaker and Clam Blitz, they are so easy,ily exploited and really specific weapons dominate those game modes, like the Ink Brush in a Clam Blitz. And Clam Blitz is the worst offender of over exploitation because of how easy it is to take such a big lead if you pull of a minor push. Unlike the other modes, here you have to make a continual push and be focusing on everything else, which makes this chaotic and not much fun unless if you are playing with your friends and you can actually communicate

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Rainmaker is probably my favorite mode.

It really emphasizes the theme of teamwork and coordination in splatoon, as the team with the best push wins. Not the team with the most amount of pushes, or the most possession with the objective. And typically, that's achieved with the team that has the most map control and the most consistent pick patterns.

My only real gripe with this mode is that it's torture on some maps. Such as starfish mainstage, where the path on the top left is almost impossible to defend. Or port mackerel because stingray is extremely good there, making a stingray activated = a dead push.

Even then, other modes exhibit that trait. Walleye Zones is very easy to get locked out of, Clam Blitz on Kelp Dome takes too long to score, and Tower Control on Camp Triggerfish can be annoying because a lot of the path is over water, and stingray is extremely good there.

For my least favorite mode, I'd have to say Clam Blitz. I want to like this mode, but there are a lot of bugs the mode exhibits.

First of all, the shield break animation lasts way too long. I've lost 4 games in overtime to this, even though I should have won since my team landed a power clam into the basket. And then sometimes, the power clam drills, and then doesn't even work.

The flow of the gamemode can be extremely fast or really slow. Which makes the game mode feel really inconsistent to me.

Knocking out almost never happens in a solo game. There's way too much coordination required to get a power clam in there in the first place, getting a K.O in solo, takes some legendary teammates and almost psychic brainwave communication.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Thanks to @ThatOneGuy for the idea
I want to list all the modes with all the stages and write a small opinion about each one.
I will try and split this into parts. This post will be for Splat Zones.
Splat Zones-
The Reef- The bridge can be your worst enemy or your best friend here. Even though there is only one Splat zone, keeping control of the bridge is almost as important.
Musselforge Fitness-Way to many ways to get to the zone hard to defend it for long.
Starfish Mainstage-Really close quarters, snipers are pretty useless here, whoever controls the zone has high ground.
Humpback Pumptrack- While you can pretty much get into the Splat zone from any direction, it’s easier to defend because there is a ditch before the Splat zone
Inkblot Art Academy- A lot of open space and hard to defend, very easy to get pushed back, even I need the team with control of Splat zone has lower ground.
Moray Towers-If you are in the lower part of the map this place is hectic, not a lot of moving space and most likely some chargers.
Port Makrel- The crates really help make this an awesome map to play this game mode in, both good for a defender and offender.
Manta Maria-Similiar to The Reef, keeping control of the pillar in the middle is key, and almost as important as having control of the zones.
Kelp Dome- The grates are really easy to defend from, as well as the side passages, the only way governments get back into the zone most of the time is directly from your base, climbing up the inkable block.
Snapper Canal-Very easy to push someone into their base, although also easy for them to flank you back, so you can’t hold the zone for long most of the time.
Blackberry Skatepark-The pillar is annoying to deal with, but like I said before having control of this is key.
Mako Mart- Multiple ways to get to the zone, middle is very close quarter oriented, although the sides of the central area are elevated, allowing for some more ranged play.
Walleye Warehouse-Extremely easy to be pushed up to your base here, a lot of knockouts and hard to come back from.
Shellendorf Institute- The Roof is just chaos, it is important to defend, but you can’t ever have all of it making this map really hard to play Splat Zones On.
Arowana Mall-The big ramp before the Splat zone is easy to defend, but the flanks are harder, allowing for a back and forth sort of Splat Zone game.
Goby Arena- Very hectic, the high ground is important here, because it hard for the enemy team to get up there.
Piranha Pit- Haven’t played yet
Camp Ttiggerfish- Once again, like in Splatoon 1, it’s almost impossible to cover the enemy zone well unless you are very on their side, which is difficult to access.
Wahoo World- Small Zone, similiar to Humpback, can be accessed from a lot of directions, but there is a ditch surrounding it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
My favorites are Zones and Rainmaker. I like the overall balance and defensive playstyle of most Zones maps (I main Custom Jet Squelcher, so it often does well in this mode) and the more exciting Rainmaker pushes. Rainmaker is, without a doubt, the most exciting mode from a spectator perspective, and you really get into it if (or in the case of league, when) you and your team develop solid synergy.

I see people talking about BS RM pushes. What are you talking about?

Tower Control combines all of my least favorite things about this game. Overaggression, short range, and these 2 cancer cells:wst_shot_expmiddle00::wst_shot_explight01:

Clam Blitz gets a lot of flak, but you can easily counter the superjumping strategy with 1 simple trick. (and a one-time payment of $19.99)

Just play defense.
How bloody hard can it be?
Plop a Heavy, Jet, or Charger down as your goalie and have them take out all players who get near. The only reason people can do the jumping strat is because your defense didn't do their job.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Clam Blitz gets a lot of flak, but you can easily counter the superjumping strategy with 1 simple trick. (and a one-time payment of $19.99)

Just play defense.
How bloody hard can it be?
Plop a Heavy, Jet, or Charger down as your goalie and have them take out all players who get near. The only reason people can do the jumping strat is because your defense didn't do their job.
People tried the idea of a "goalie" when it began and soon realized it was not a viable strategy. Clam jumps happen when one or two people push in with a baller or bubbles or whatever it may be. In general, you will get overwhelmed enough so that people can take the sole backliner out so they can push. This can be easily done with inkjets, stingrays, bombs, rushes, long range weapons, bubbles, honestly baller can push through if it's just one person. There are a plethora of options to pushing to basket for clam jumps. I figured you'd say the strategy is to time a bomb just right so that they die before being able to throw the football becuase that's a thing (though hard). If you play defense the whole time around basket you're not helping your team very much and when the other team puts 4 players on the field, your 3 players get overwhelmed and you'll be easy to get by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom