• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Worst Weapon Sub and Special?

Squid__Kid

Inkling
NNID
1234AZY
So this thread is opinions only, so please, if someone thinks a weapon you use is the worst in the game, don't start a flame war, think about it this way, your winning with a bad weapon! That automatically makes you good right? This way we can have a better and healthier discussion.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
The worst sub in the game is the ink mine for obv reasons. There is no "worst special," but there are bad special + main weapon combinations. And there is already a thread about what people think are the worst sub weapon, so yea.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Bad Specials: Ink Strike, Killer Wail

Bad Subs: Ink Mine, Sprinkler, Seeker, Disruptor (potential for good but 9/10 times its ****)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
From my personal experience i'd say that what specials are the worst depends on modes. Eversince Wail has been buffed to only needing 140p to charge and can aim directly at the Rainmaker through terrain redeemed it a lot for me, a emerged RM is usually too busy shooting at things to dodge the Wail in time. Kind of the same with Kraken, it's real easy to chase out the glowing light of the RM and splat it and maybe take surrounding squids with it.

If i'd have to pick one that's overall the worst, it'd be Inkstrike. Too easy to dodge and leaves a huge mark of ink for others to charge their special on, something which the wail doesn't do. It also leaves you extremely vunerable while you'll have to fire it while you can fire off other specials (allmost) right away. It still has it's uses, but not much.

As for bad subs, ink mines/seekers but i've probably explained why i think they are bad many times before.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
It all varies on map, mode, and enemy gear, really. Inkstrike is probably the "worst", but it's pretty good in splat zone, and tower control. It's less useful in turf wars, and worst in rain maker. All the specials are good, though. For subs I'd say sprinkler is a lot more situational than most, and splash walls don't work as well in turf wars as they do in other modes. Ink mines are probably the most situational, but can be good in some maps and modes.

The worst sub in the game is the ink mine for obv reasons. There is no "worst special," but there are bad special + main weapon combinations. And there is already a thread about what people think are the worst sub weapon, so yea.
Ink mine could be a lot better if someone found a good use for it. Right now they're probably best for tower control because you can place them on the tower, or on the tower's path. It's also nice in port mackerel.

Ink mine and ink strike, maybe. Or perhaps burst bomb rush.
I think suction bomb rush is the worst of the bomb rushes. Burst bombs instantly cover turf so even if you splat no one they can't advance as well. Splat bombs detonate faster than suction and can trap opponents easier than suction. Suction takes longer and it makes it easier to escape from. Even then, it still is good.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
What do you all think of the Seeker Bomb Rush? It's on the upcoming Carbon Roller (can't remember name), and it's the first time we'll be seeing it not in the singleplayer modes.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Ink mine could be a lot better if someone found a good use for it. Right now they're probably best for tower control because you can place them on the tower, or on the tower's path. It's also nice in port mackerel.
The biggest problem with ink mine is that they are entirely avoidable. The animation takes so long that you can get away before it explodes.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
What do you all think of the Seeker Bomb Rush? It's on the upcoming Carbon Roller (can't remember name), and it's the first time we'll be seeing it not in the singleplayer modes.
I think it's an interesting concept. I'm not really sure how it will play out, though. Current bomb rushes are really good at covering a large area, but seeker bomb rush should be good at ****ing up one place. Seekers are easy to avoid on their own, but avoiding multiple ones should be pretty difficult. It should be pretty good in a large, open mid like walleye where they have room to seek, or long corridors like in arrowana where they are hard to avoid. Their weakness is corners, so if the enemy can get to a corner and escape, then it's a waste

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I think it will be great on mackrel

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
It'll be alright on stages with lots of horizontal area for long-range Seeker pressure, and maybe alright if you can get to a high point on the map and spam from there.
It'd be better if it weren't on the Carbon Roller, I think.

How good are point sensors?
They're great! being able to check for enemies is a great thing, and it's cheap too!

As for worst sub and Special... (THIS GETS KINDA LONG FROM HERE, SO THERE'LL BE A TLDR AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING IT ALL)

For subs, it's the Ink Mine. Point Sensor would've been my pick early on since it doesn't deal damage, but that's actually really useful for support (though it gets slightly neutered by Cold-Blooded here) and checking for enemies (Cold-Blooded does not prevent this, so it's still good for this purpose) and it doesn't cost much ink. Disruptor could've ended up here for the same reason, but they're very good since they slow your movement and ink recovery for a few seconds if you get hit.
But Ink Mines are the worst for a few reasons. You can only have one at a time, which is bad, but is compounded by the fact that you can't place one until your other mine detonates (C'mon Nintendo, Squid Beakons let you plant more than three (though that breaks your first Beakon), why can't I do the same with mines?), and the detonation is easy to escape from, which wouldn't be so terrible if those other two things were addressed, but since they weren't, Ink Mines aren't really useful. Also, Ink Mines eat most of your tank when planted, which isn't that great.

For Specials, it's gotta be Inkstrike. Inkstrike is still useful since it can hit anywhere and cover a decent-size area in your team's ink), but it's too telegraphed and you can ink over the turf it covers while it's still going, so it's really only useful for making enemies move a bit. Which would be alright, but Killer Wail does that as well, and better, at least I think so.

As for worst weapon, I'm not sure, so I'll list both possible choices:

1) Rapid Blaster. It has Ink Mines, which I covered above, but its main fire isn't great either. Its range is nice, but it's only really effective at its maximum range, you'll get splatted before you can do much against anything that gets closer. Bubbler is useful here, but the Rapid Blaster isn't very good at generating Bubbler, so it's not a problem very often. Rapid Blasters do become a bit more threatening with Bubbler, but so does anyone with a Bubbler (except maybe Inkbrush Nouveau, but that will be addressed below).
As a Blaster, it's outclassed by the Custom Blaster, which also has Bubbler and comes with the team-supporting Point Sensor and the ability to one-shot enemies with direct hits (something the Rapid can never have) or two-shot them with the explosion (also something I don't believe the Rapid Blaster is capable of). You lose a little range, but that's not so bad, really, since the power gain outweighs any range losses.
As a two-shot weapon, the Bamboozler 14 MK I and Slosher are both better options. The Bamboozler requires precision and charging, but it has much better range, and Splash Walls let it live long enough to pull off multiple shots before retreating if it didn't finish everyone off. Additionally, the Bamboozler moves faster while charging/charged than the Rapid Blaster does while firing, if I recall correctly. As for the Slosher, I think it might get outranged a little (maybe), but it deals great damage always (unlike the Rapid Blaster, whose damage isn't that good without Damage Ups or direct hits), doesn't have to fight near its maximum range to be effective, and has Burst Bombs for longer-range engagements (or to splat a bit faster inside bucketing range, if you're accurate).
As for why not the Rapid Blaster Deco, Suction Bombs are very useful, arguably just enough to take the Rapid Deco out of the worst-weapon race (I still think it's bad, probably bottom-5 material at most, just not the worst).

2) Inkbrush Nouveau. It has Ink Mines and Bubbler as well, but it also comes with the shortest range in the game and still very low damage (even the Sploosh-O-Matic deals decent damage when it gets close), though it does splat faster than the Rapid Blaster does if you can get it close to an enemy. I'm not sure whether Bubbler is better on this weapon or the Rapid Blaster; on the one hand, I feel like the Inkbrush Nouveau generates Bubbler faster than the Rapid Blaster, but on the other hand the Rapid Blaster can still hit enemies while being pushed back with Bubbler invincibility, while the Nouveau gets pushed out of its swing range very quickly. The Nouveau can speed ti the battlefield very quickly with its rolling, but then it's stuck trying to ambush foes or build Bubbler to give to its teammates.
As a support weapon, the Octobrush is light years above the Nouveau; it lacks Bubbler, sure, but it it's able to perform in combat thanks to its alright (though still short) range and respectable power, while still being pretty fast (not quite Inkbrush fast, but still really quick), and its Squid Beakons are great for allowing teammates to reach areas quickly or ambush from behind (if the enemy team doesn't destroy all Beakons as soon as they can, anyway), and Kraken is a good defensive tool as well, though it cannot pass its invincibility.
As a Bubbler-building weapon, the Splattershot Jr. is just better. Its range is better, it generates Bubbler more quickly, and it has Splat Bombs for when the main fire's range isn't enough. I wouldn't say the Jr. is great (good, yeah, but its shortish range and low power hurt it a bit too much for me to call it great, except as a great weapon for beginners), but it beats the Nouveau in most categories.
Asfor why not regular Inkbrush, that still sucks in combat, but is very obviously skewed toward covering turf with its Sprinkler/Inkstrike loadout. It can do a good job of covering turf and is capable of getting ambush-kills (and not much else, admittedly), so it's not in the worst-weapon race either.

Overall, both of these weapons are just not that good and are easily outclassed, but I don't know which is worse.

And if we can add unreleased weapons into the mix, the Carbon Roller Deco could fall in here as well. I don't know for sure, and from here to the TLDR I'm just going on pure speculation, but here's my reasoning (WARNING: LONG):
The Carbon Roller Deco retains the Carbon Roller's attributes (speedier rolling, tiny flick range), but drops the well-rounded-ness of Burst Bomb/Inkzooka for Seeker/Bomb Rush. This loadout fails the Carbon Roller Deco in multiple respects.
Firstly, Seekers are only really useful for inking long straight lines for travel (they can be used for combat, but since you can jump over them easily they're not really viable as a weapon, or at least that's how I feel about them). This would be useful if the Carbon Roller couldn't already ink long straight paths... and also turn to avoid enemy fire, or Splash Walls, or regular walls, rendering Seekers only really useful for checking for enemies (since they'll probably shoot its trail to splat anyone swimming behind it). Which is kinda useful, but Burst Bombs already did that, and arguably better since they don't cost nearly as much as Seekers do.
Secondly, Seeker Rush sounds fun, and I can see it being situationally effective, like for popping the Rainmaker from a distance (either to avoid enemy fire or to avoid being splatted in the event that the other team pops the shield instead of your Seekers), or on horizontal areas, like Port Mackerel or Rainmaker Camp Triggerfish, and maybe Blackbelly and Arowana, and maybe for throwing down from a higher area (like the central tower on Blackbelly) since the Seekers will keep going for a long while and can harass foes below you pretty well if they aren't directly under you (if they are, you might be able to flick them to death). But outside of those situations, you'd be better served byany other Special, and even in those situations you could probably do better with a different one (Inkzooka on mostly-horizontal areas doesn't go as far, but does have vertical reach and can go over gaps in the ground, unlike Seekers, and other Bomb Rushes also perform very well for attacking from an elevated position... as well as attacking someone who is on an elevated position). Honestly, I'm not very excited about Seeker Rush; I just feel like all it has going for it is that Seekers cover lots of ground in a straight line, go extremely far before stopping if they don't hit anything or detect a kid, can swerve a bit to hit kids, and are one-shot splats. Other than that, it just doesn't seem like a good Special.
Thirdly, the Carbon Roller itself. The weapon itself has one-shot power up close, yes, and it's fairly speedy while rolling, true, but outside very close range it needs to fall back on its loadout to stand a chance. Seekers are easily dodged or hopped over, so they won't deter midrange combatants from splatting you. Seeker Rush may if it fires Seekers quickly enough, but if not, enemies will just hop around while shooting you.
Additionally, the Carbon Roller has very little vertical range on its swings, even while aiming upward. Do you know what Seekers can do to alleviate this problem? Nothing. Which is bad, since it makes fights against enemies on a higher elevation an unwinnable scenario.
Finally, as a Roller, the Deco is outclassed, while as a Seeker-having weapon, it's also not the best option.
As a Roller-type weapon, the Carbon Roller Deco loses to its non-decorated counterpart. The normal Carbon Roller has two things that make it extraordinarily better, at least on a theoretical level, those being Burst Bombs and Inkzooka. Burst Bombs allow you to attack at mid-range (even upward and over gaps, unlike the Seeker), are useful for painting walls quickly so you can swim up them, and can extend your effective range on the flick a bit if you cancel the end of its throw into a flick. Inkzooka is not always available, but the Carbon Roller generates it at a reasonable speed, its long-range power is indisputable, and it can hit enemies above you as well (the range for this is a bit lower since the inknados drop toward the edge of their range, but it's still very valuable).
As a Seeker-having weapon, the Aerospray MG is better (I'm sure there are better examples, but this is the first one I thought of). It has more range on its rapid-fire than the Carbon's flick (I think it does, anyway, and both still want to get close, but I figure it's worth mentioning), has an extremely fast fire rate (which is useful for inking turf, mostly), has a bit more vertical reach than the Carbon does (you shouldn't rely on it for splats, but you can ink up walls with the Aerospray faster than with the Carbon Roller without Burst Bombs), it has more use for Seekers since it doesn't travel as quickly while firing as the Carbon does while rolling, and it also has Inkzooka, which it can generate very quickly.
Overall, the Carbon Roller Deco looks like it's gonna be screwed by its loadout, which is a shame. Hopefully Seeker Rush makes its way onto a weapon that can make better use of it at some point.
But I could be wrong. We don't actually have the Deco yet, so maybe it'll surprise me. For now though, it doesn't look good.

TLDR:
Worst Sub: Ink Mine (just not very good overall)
Worst Special: Inkstrike (still useful, just not on the other Specials' level)
Worst Weapon: Rapid Blaster/Inkbrush Nouveau (not sure which), possibly Carbon Roller Deco when it comes out (won't know until I play it, but it looks bad)

Last edited:

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
It'll be alright on stages with lots of horizontal area for long-range Seeker pressure, and maybe alright if you can get to a high point on the map and spam from there.
It'd be better if it weren't on the Carbon Roller, I think.

They're great! being able to check for enemies is a great thing, and it's cheap too!

As for worst sub and Special... (THIS GETS KINDA LONG FROM HERE, SO THERE'LL BE A TLDR AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING IT ALL)

For subs, it's the Ink Mine. Point Sensor would've been my pick early on since it doesn't deal damage, but that's actually really useful for support (though it gets slightly neutered by Cold-Blooded here) and checking for enemies (Cold-Blooded does not prevent this, so it's still good for this purpose) and it doesn't cost much ink. Disruptor could've ended up here for the same reason, but they're very good since they slow your movement and ink recovery for a few seconds if you get hit.
But Ink Mines are the worst for a few reasons. You can only have one at a time, which is bad, but is compounded by the fact that you can't place one until your other mine detonates (C'mon Nintendo, Squid Beakons let you plant more than three (though that breaks your first Beakon), why can't I do the same with mines?), and the detonation is easy to escape from, which wouldn't be so terrible if those other two things were addressed, but since they weren't, Ink Mines aren't really useful. Also, Ink Mines eat most of your tank when planted, which isn't that great.

For Specials, it's gotta be Inkstrike. Inkstrike is still useful since it can hit anywhere and cover a decent-size area in your team's ink), but it's too telegraphed and you can ink over the turf it covers while it's still going, so it's really only useful for making enemies move a bit. Which would be alright, but Killer Wail does that as well, and better, at least I think so.

As for worst weapon, I'm not sure, so I'll list both possible choices:

1) Rapid Blaster. It has Ink Mines, which I covered above, but its main fire isn't great either. Its range is nice, but it's only really effective at its maximum range, you'll get splatted before you can do much against anything that gets closer. Bubbler is useful here, but the Rapid Blaster isn't very good at generating Bubbler, so it's not a problem very often. Rapid Blasters do become a bit more threatening with Bubbler, but so does anyone with a Bubbler (except maybe Inkbrush Nouveau, but that will be addressed below).
As a Blaster, it's outclassed by the Custom Blaster, which also has Bubbler and comes with the team-supporting Point Sensor and the ability to one-shot enemies with direct hits (something the Rapid can never have) or two-shot them with the explosion (also something I don't believe the Rapid Blaster is capable of). You lose a little range, but that's not so bad, really, since the power gain outweighs any range losses.
As a two-shot weapon, the Bamboozler 14 MK I and Slosher are both better options. The Bamboozler requires precision and charging, but it has much better range, and Splash Walls let it live long enough to pull off multiple shots before retreating if it didn't finish everyone off. Additionally, the Bamboozler moves faster while charging/charged than the Rapid Blaster does while firing, if I recall correctly. As for the Slosher, I think it might get outranged a little (maybe), but it deals great damage always (unlike the Rapid Blaster, whose damage isn't that good without Damage Ups or direct hits), doesn't have to fight near its maximum range to be effective, and has Burst Bombs for longer-range engagements (or to splat a bit faster inside bucketing range, if you're accurate).
As for why not the Rapid Blaster Deco, Suction Bombs are very useful, arguably just enough to take the Rapid Deco out of the worst-weapon race (I still think it's bad, probably bottom-5 material at most, just not the worst).

2) Inkbrush Nouveau. It has Ink Mines and Bubbler as well, but it also comes with the shortest range in the game and still very low damage (even the Sploosh-O-Matic deals decent damage when it gets close), though it does splat faster than the Rapid Blaster does if you can get it close to an enemy. I'm not sure whether Bubbler is better on this weapon or the Rapid Blaster; on the one hand, I feel like the Inkbrush Nouveau generates Bubbler faster than the Rapid Blaster, but on the other hand the Rapid Blaster can still hit enemies while being pushed back with Bubbler invincibility, while the Nouveau gets pushed out of its swing range very quickly. The Nouveau can speed ti the battlefield very quickly with its rolling, but then it's stuck trying to ambush foes or build Bubbler to give to its teammates.
As a support weapon, the Octobrush is light years above the Nouveau; it lacks Bubbler, sure, but it it's able to perform in combat thanks to its alright (though still short) range and respectable power, while still being pretty fast (not quite Inkbrush fast, but still really quick), and its Squid Beakons are great for allowing teammates to reach areas quickly or ambush from behind (if the enemy team doesn't destroy all Beakons as soon as they can, anyway), and Kraken is a good defensive tool as well, though it cannot pass its invincibility.
As a Bubbler-building weapon, the Splattershot Jr. is just better. Its range is better, it generates Bubbler more quickly, and it has Splat Bombs for when the main fire's range isn't enough. I wouldn't say the Jr. is great (good, yeah, but its shortish range and low power hurt it a bit too much for me to call it great, except as a great weapon for beginners), but it beats the Nouveau in most categories.
Asfor why not regular Inkbrush, that still sucks in combat, but is very obviously skewed toward covering turf with its Sprinkler/Inkstrike loadout. It can do a good job of covering turf and is capable of getting ambush-kills (and not much else, admittedly), so it's not in the worst-weapon race either.

Overall, both of these weapons are just not that good and are easily outclassed, but I don't know which is worse.

And if we can add unreleased weapons into the mix, the Carbon Roller Deco could fall in here as well. I don't know for sure, and from here to the TLDR I'm just going on pure speculation, but here's my reasoning (WARNING: LONG):
The Carbon Roller Deco retains the Carbon Roller's attributes (speedier rolling, tiny flick range), but drops the well-rounded-ness of Burst Bomb/Inkzooka for Seeker/Bomb Rush. This loadout fails the Carbon Roller Deco in multiple respects.
Firstly, Seekers are only really useful for inking long straight lines for travel (they can be used for combat, but since you can jump over them easily they're not really viable as a weapon, or at least that's how I feel about them). This would be useful if the Carbon Roller couldn't already ink long straight paths... and also turn to avoid enemy fire, or Splash Walls, or regular walls, rendering Seekers only really useful for checking for enemies (since they'll probably shoot its trail to splat anyone swimming behind it). Which is kinda useful, but Burst Bombs already did that, and arguably better since they don't cost nearly as much as Seekers do.
Secondly, Seeker Rush sounds fun, and I can see it being situationally effective, like for popping the Rainmaker from a distance (either to avoid enemy fire or to avoid being splatted in the event that the other team pops the shield instead of your Seekers), or on horizontal areas, like Port Mackerel or Rainmaker Camp Triggerfish, and maybe Blackbelly and Arowana, and maybe for throwing down from a higher area (like the central tower on Blackbelly) since the Seekers will keep going for a long while and can harass foes below you pretty well if they aren't directly under you (if they are, you might be able to flick them to death). But outside of those situations, you'd be better served byany other Special, and even in those situations you could probably do better with a different one (Inkzooka on mostly-horizontal areas doesn't go as far, but does have vertical reach and can go over gaps in the ground, unlike Seekers, and other Bomb Rushes also perform very well for attacking from an elevated position... as well as attacking someone who is on an elevated position). Honestly, I'm not very excited about Seeker Rush; I just feel like all it has going for it is that Seekers cover lots of ground in a straight line, go extremely far before stopping if they don't hit anything or detect a kid, can swerve a bit to hit kids, and are one-shot splats. Other than that, it just doesn't seem like a good Special.
Thirdly, the Carbon Roller itself. The weapon itself has one-shot power up close, yes, and it's fairly speedy while rolling, true, but outside very close range it needs to fall back on its loadout to stand a chance. Seekers are easily dodged or hopped over, so they won't deter midrange combatants from splatting you. Seeker Rush may if it fires Seekers quickly enough, but if not, enemies will just hop around while shooting you.
Additionally, the Carbon Roller has very little vertical range on its swings, even while aiming upward. Do you know what Seekers can do to alleviate this problem? Nothing. Which is bad, since it makes fights against enemies on a higher elevation an unwinnable scenario.
Finally, as a Roller, the Deco is outclassed, while as a Seeker-having weapon, it's also not the best option.
As a Roller-type weapon, the Carbon Roller Deco loses to its non-decorated counterpart. The normal Carbon Roller has two things that make it extraordinarily better, at least on a theoretical level, those being Burst Bombs and Inkzooka. Burst Bombs allow you to attack at mid-range (even upward and over gaps, unlike the Seeker), are useful for painting walls quickly so you can swim up them, and can extend your effective range on the flick a bit if you cancel the end of its throw into a flick. Inkzooka is not always available, but the Carbon Roller generates it at a reasonable speed, its long-range power is indisputable, and it can hit enemies above you as well (the range for this is a bit lower since the inknados drop toward the edge of their range, but it's still very valuable).
As a Seeker-having weapon, the Aerospray MG is better (I'm sure there are better examples, but this is the first one I thought of). It has more range on its rapid-fire than the Carbon's flick (I think it does, anyway, and both still want to get close, but I figure it's worth mentioning), has an extremely fast fire rate (which is useful for inking turf, mostly), has a bit more vertical reach than the Carbon does (you shouldn't rely on it for splats, but you can ink up walls with the Aerospray faster than with the Carbon Roller without Burst Bombs), it has more use for Seekers since it doesn't travel as quickly while firing as the Carbon does while rolling, and it also has Inkzooka, which it can generate very quickly.
Overall, the Carbon Roller Deco looks like it's gonna be screwed by its loadout, which is a shame. Hopefully Seeker Rush makes its way onto a weapon that can make better use of it at some point.
But I could be wrong. We don't actually have the Deco yet, so maybe it'll surprise me. For now though, it doesn't look good.

TLDR:
Worst Sub: Ink Mine (just not very good overall)
Worst Special: Inkstrike (still useful, just not on the other Specials' level)
Worst Weapon: Rapid Blaster/Inkbrush Nouveau (not sure which), possibly Carbon Roller Deco when it comes out (won't know until I play it, but it looks bad)
I guess you are right. You do tend to ramble. :p

Wonderf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wonderf
I think it's an interesting concept. I'm not really sure how it will play out, though. Current bomb rushes are really good at covering a large area, but seeker bomb rush should be good at ****ing up one place. Seekers are easy to avoid on their own, but avoiding multiple ones should be pretty difficult. It should be pretty good in a large, open mid like walleye where they have room to seek, or long corridors like in arrowana where they are hard to avoid. Their weakness is corners, so if the enemy can get to a corner and escape, then it's a waste
I can just picture how fun it would to dodge all those seekers.
I feel like it would be pretty good, because avoiding multiple seekers can lower or overall awareness of other things since the main thing you're focusing on is the seekers. So the team with the seeker bomb rush can punish effectively.

So this thread is opinions only, so please, if someone thinks a weapon you use is the worst in the game, don't start a flame war, think about it this way, your winning with a bad weapon! That automatically makes you good right? This way we can have a better and healthier discussion.
So for worst special; Inkstrike, long start-up, leaves you vulnerable so you would have to spend precious time finding a corner or somewhere to hide in and doesn't really impact the fight that much for what you could have been doing if you didn't get Inkstrike.

For worst sub; Inkmine, I think people have stated enough reasons above :)

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
I can just picture how fun it would to dodge all those seekers.
Welcome to Squidboards!

Can someone explain to me why Ink Mines are so bad all-around? Aren't they useful in Tower Control? They have a fairly decent radius, and will kill anyone on the tower when they detonate, and probably come close with any others nearby. Squids' airspeeds are not the best.

I can see why they'd be pretty bad in the other modes, though.

Wonderf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wonderf
Welcome to Squidboards!

Can someone explain to me why Ink Mines are so bad all-around? Aren't they useful in Tower Control? They have a fairly decent radius, and will kill anyone on the tower when they detonate, and probably come close with any others nearby. Squids' airspeeds are not the best.

Hey, thanks for the welcome, I hope to enjoy my time here :)
To answer your question about the ink mines, I think this thread is discussing the overall viability of subs and specials in all modes, so ink mines are really good for tower control but that's kind of it.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Welcome to Squidboards!

(WARNING: THIS POST IS LENGTHY, AND THERE IS NO TLDR THIS TIME, SO PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING IF YOU CAN)
They get better in Tower Control, true, putting one on the Tower is a decent way to splat unsuspecting enemies who climb aboard to splat you, thus being a good deterrent against close-quarters weapons like Brushes and Rollers and the Sploosh-O-Matic.
But they're wholly ineffective if the enemy splats you while not on the Tower themselves, in which case your deathsplosion will trigger the mine to explode, which shouldn't harm them at all since they're a distance back while shooting at you. Or if they have Bubbler up or are a Kraken at the moment, though it should push them a bit.
And they're not really the best sub-weapon even in Tower Control, at least in my opinion. Suction and Splat Bombs can force enemies to move, allowing you to focus your fire on just the area the bomb won't hit (because of the pillar) to splat enemies (and that's if they don't just jump off when they see it). Burst Bombs can hit relatively large portions of the Tower with each throw, and can allow you to climb up onto it in a single throw if you hit the side, though you might run through your whole tank trying to splat the Tower's rider. Point Sensor is useful for knowing where on the Tower the enemy is hiding, as well as where they are if they hop off the Tower, though it can't deal damage. Disruptors can inhibit the Tower rider's movement, allowing for easy splatting. Squid Beakons are great for getting teammates into enemy territory, either to continue a push or ambush them from behind (works surprisingly well in solo Ranked, since f***in' nobody destroys the damn things except me half the time), and make alright shields as well, like a poor man's Splash Wall. Speaking of Splash Walls, being able to put one of those on the Tower means you don't have to worry about attackers from that side, simplifying your ride greatly: Additionally, you can throw one in the Tower's path (or off to the side, I'm not sure) and it'll push people off of the Tower (which is annoying). Even Sprinklers, which aren't that useful in Tower Control, can be thrown on the Tower to spread your team's ink as the Tower moves. The only sub I'd consider bad for Tower Control is Seekers, since they can't attack the Tower unless you get above the Tower (and if you're there, why not just shoot down?), but I'm sure they have their uses.
Really though, Ink Mine is good for Tower Control. And only Tower Control. And even there, it's beaten out in utility by, at least, Suction/Splat/Burst Bombs, Splash Walls, and (if your teammates actually use them, otherwise take Ink Mines over) Squid Beakons.
In other modes, there's no place that's guaranteed to have enemies step on it at some point (Splat Zones has the Splat Zones, yes, but you can cover those without setting foot in them and set off the Mine when you take control, then safely ink over its explosion), so they're really not that good compared to other attacking subs that can be sent to where the enemies are, rather than waiting for the enemy to come to them and maybe being set off by being covered by their shooting/rolling and squidding back a bit if necessary. But the Ink Mine isn't meant for offense, so let's bring in the non-offense subs, those being Sprinklers, Point Sensors, and Squid Beakons. Sprinklers can cover sizable areas while you do something else (they're on the .96 Gal and Dynamo Roller for a reason) and generate quite a bit of Special over time, and can be used in Rainmaker to give your team an extra source of damage on the Rainmaker's shield (which can't be destroyed unless the other team pops the Rainmaker if placed correctly, since it'll go under the shield), Splash Walls can block chokepoints and shield you from enemy attacks from a direction while your team can still shoot through it, which is incredibly useful, and Squid Beakons can function as a makeshift Splash Wall in a pinch, but their true purpose is bringing your teammates to advantageous positions or back into the fight quickly, and that can be invaluable for sustaining an offensive or getting behind an advancing foe to ambush them.
Compared to that, the Ink Mine can... be placed in an area to explode after 10 seconds or when an opponent inks over or steps on it, at which point it flashes for a second (letting the enemy know that it's there and they should get back), then explodes (in, admittedly, a fairly wide explosion). And you can only place one at a time. And you have to wait for the one you placed to detonate before you can set another one (unlike, say, Sprinklers and Squid Beakons, which just break the last one/least recent one when another is placed above the limit for that sub). Yeah, that limitation is there for Splash Walls too, but can you imagine being able to throw multiple Splash Walls out at once? Ink Mines aren't as good, so you should be able to throw out more than one of those, or at least be able to detonate the old one to place a new one by pressing R. Oh, and also Ink Mines cost most of your ink tank when dropped.
Outside of Tower Control, that's not as useful as any other sub in the game. It has its moments, sure, but overall I'd rather have any other sub than the Ink Mine.

...Hopefully the answer to your question is in there somewhere.

SHORT EDIT: Wonderf's post has a TLDR, if you need one.

Last edited:

Wonderf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wonderf
(WARNING: THIS POST IS LENGTHY, AND THERE IS NO TLDR THIS TIME, SO PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING IF YOU CAN)
They get better in Tower Control, true, putting one on the Tower is a decent way to splat unsuspecting enemies who climb aboard to splat you, thus being a good deterrent against close-quarters weapons like Brushes and Rollers and the Sploosh-O-Matic.
But they're wholly ineffective if the enemy splats you while not on the Tower themselves, in which case your deathsplosion will trigger the mine to explode, which shouldn't harm them at all since they're a distance back while shooting at you. Or if they have Bubbler up or are a Kraken at the moment, though it should push them a bit.
And they're not really the best sub-weapon even in Tower Control, at least in my opinion. Suction and Splat Bombs can force enemies to move, allowing you to focus your fire on just the area the bomb won't hit (because of the pillar) to splat enemies (and that's if they don't just jump off when they see it). Burst Bombs can hit relatively large portions of the Tower with each throw, and can allow you to climb up onto it in a single throw if you hit the side, though you might run through your whole tank trying to splat the Tower's rider. Point Sensor is useful for knowing where on the Tower the enemy is hiding, as well as where they are if they hop off the Tower, though it can't deal damage. Disruptors can inhibit the Tower rider's movement, allowing for easy splatting. Squid Beakons are great for getting teammates into enemy territory, either to continue a push or ambush them from behind (works surprisingly well in solo Ranked, since f***in' nobody destroys the damn things except me half the time), and make alright shields as well, like a poor man's Splash Wall. Speaking of Splash Walls, being able to put one of those on the Tower means you don't have to worry about attackers from that side, simplifying your ride greatly: Additionally, you can throw one in the Tower's path (or off to the side, I'm not sure) and it'll push people off of the Tower (which is annoying). Even Sprinklers, which aren't that useful in Tower Control, can be thrown on the Tower to spread your team's ink as the Tower moves. The only sub I'd consider bad for Tower Control is Seekers, since they can't attack the Tower unless you get above the Tower (and if you're there, why not just shoot down?), but I'm sure they have their uses.
Really though, Ink Mine is good for Tower Control. And only Tower Control. And even there, it's beaten out in utility by, at least, Suction/Splat/Burst Bombs, Splash Walls, and (if your teammates actually use them, otherwise take Ink Mines over) Squid Beakons.
In other modes, there's no place that's guaranteed to have enemies step on it at some point (Splat Zones has the Splat Zones, yes, but you can cover those without setting foot in them and set off the Mine when you take control, then safely ink over its explosion), so they're really not that good compared to other attacking subs that can be sent to where the enemies are, rather than waiting for the enemy to come to them and maybe being set off by being covered by their shooting/rolling and squidding back a bit if necessary. But the Ink Mine isn't meant for offense, so let's bring in the non-offense subs, those being Sprinklers, Point Sensors, and Squid Beakons. Sprinklers can cover sizable areas while you do something else (they're on the .96 Gal and Dynamo Roller for a reason) and generate quite a bit of Special over time, and can be used in Rainmaker to give your team an extra source of damage on the Rainmaker's shield (which can't be destroyed unless the other team pops the Rainmaker if placed correctly, since it'll go under the shield), Splash Walls can block chokepoints and shield you from enemy attacks from a direction while your team can still shoot through it, which is incredibly useful, and Squid Beakons can function as a makeshift Splash Wall in a pinch, but their true purpose is bringing your teammates to advantageous positions or back into the fight quickly, and that can be invaluable for sustaining an offensive or getting behind an advancing foe to ambush them.
Compared to that, the Ink Mine can... be placed in an area to explode after 10 seconds or when an opponent inks over or steps on it, at which point it flashes for a second (letting the enemy know that it's there and they should get back), then explodes (in, admittedly, a fairly wide explosion). And you can only place one at a time. And you have to wait for the one you placed to detonate before you can set another one (unlike, say, Sprinklers and Squid Beakons, which just break the last one/least recent one when another is placed above the limit for that sub). Yeah, that limitation is there for Splash Walls too, but can you imagine being able to throw multiple Splash Walls out at once? Ink Mines aren't as good, so you should be able to throw out more than one of those, or at least be able to detonate the old one to place a new one by pressing R. Oh, and also Ink Mines cost most of your ink tank when dropped.
Outside of Tower Control, that's not as useful as any other sub in the game. It has its moments, sure, but overall I'd rather have any other sub than the Ink Mine.

...Hopefully the answer to your question is in there somewhere.
My TL;DR
Ink mines are good in Tower Control but there are better options and the other team can work around the Ink mines.

Rcole

Inkling
NNID
rorymark
Always thought the custom E-Liter's set up pretty useless. Works great for octobrush as that's a naturally aggressive weapon but kraken serves only to avoid being splatted for a sniper.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
Anything that isn't Splash Wall, Burst Bomb, or Beacon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom