• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Worth getting a WiiU to see the original?

Are you playing Splatoon 1 in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jabes

Inkster Jr.
Hi friends! I'm smitten by Splatoon 2 and have loved the concept of Splatoon since it came out on WiiU. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a good place to invest in a home console when the WiiU was much more alive but I am now. I hear a lot of interesting things about Splatoon 1, maps that never made it, songs that are exclusive to 1, etc. I also hear the Splat1 community is still super alive to this day which has me curious.

• Would it be worth it to get a WiiU to try Splat1?
  • Is there an online subscription like Nintendo Switch Online for WiiU?
  • What are the lobby wait times like?
  • Do you miss Splat 1 or specific features from it?
Tell me your thoughts! I love hearing what Splat1 vets have to say!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Probably not. The first Splatoon is still a good time, people still play it and there's no subscription, but hackers have been on the rise since that game's relatively unpoliced. That's a pretty hefty price you'd pay just to check out the original.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Beyond the above, I would suggest only bothering if you can get a working WiiU at a decent-ish price AND decided on at least half-a-dozen other games you also want to play on it.

jabes

Inkster Jr.
Beyond the above, I would suggest only bothering if you can get a working WiiU at a decent-ish price AND decided on at least half-a-dozen other games you also want to play on it.
Oh Gosh! I'm sad to say I don't know a lot of other titles I'd want to play. My friend did get me Amiibo Festival (for the amiibos) but I'll keep an eye out for a good deal. That's pretty much what I'd be looking for to give me that gratifying feeling of finally getting a chance to try Splat1! :D

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Keep in mind that, unless there's some kind of Splatoon 1 rerelease to be released at one point in time, Splatoon 1 will be lost to time unless you get it now. You can always sell your Wii U if Splatoon 1 dies out and you don't need it for something else. But there probably won't ever be a Splatoon 1 rerelease, let's be honest, so it's either now or never.

There's tons of games that can never really be experienced like they were made simply because they were focused on online. So honestly, if you're a big Splatoon 2 fan I'd say it's worth it. Also, I've personally never noticed an increase in hackers in the post-Splatoon 2 days in Splatoon 1 and lobbies fill up as fast as in Splatoon 2.

And while you do have a Wii U, there's still a few good exclusives or games that are at their best on Wii U. It's still the only system to play Mario 3D World on, which is secretly the best 3D Mario, it has Pikmin 3 and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, it has Tropical Freeze for a lot cheaper than on Switch while it's just as good on Wii U, and it has the best versions of Mario Maker and Rayman Legends. Also, it has VC, unlike the Switch and it actually has NTSC versions on VC in the PAL region unlike the Wii.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
My Wii U is basically a Zelda machine at this point, but I wouldnt say it’s worth unless there are other games you want to play too. Both games are basically the same thing Splat 2 just has more things

Maave

Inkling Commander
If you're into console modding (custom firmware) then the WiiU is killer. You can unlock native GameCube compatibility, and the WiiU has HDMI so it's crisper than the original or Wii. But I think I still agree with others. If Splatoon is the only game you want then it's not a great value proposition.

Belial

Full Squid
Depends on the person. I still use my Wii U often. It plays Wii games since I don't have a Wii. I also play Windwaker HD, Earthbound1+2, amiibo festival, and various virtual console games on it. I enjoy it and I often see them used for fairly cheap.

Stardust-Sonic

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Stardust-Sonic
Yes, I still play Splatoon 1 in 2019. It's still so much fun. The meta is different, the weapons somehow feel different, the specials are different, the Splatoon 1 maps featured in Splatoon 2 are sometimes radically different from what they were in this game, obviously the game plays differently with the WiiU Gamepad, but it's much more reactive than the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.

So yeah, it's still worth buying a WiiU, if only to notice the difference between both games. Don't get shaked however by the graphics of Splatoon 1.

Sometimes, I even stream Splatoon 1, just because I feel like it. And because I love Splatoon 1.

Unaboi

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4250-1914
There is no Nintendo Online for the WiiU. If you're thinking about getting one, WiiUs are roughly about $500 on Amazon, untouched. I wouldn't get it just for one game in particular.

Last edited:

ink#0187

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6856-4335-4791
I already have a Wii U, but the Wii U Gamepad has a broken screen, and there is no charger that can charge it.

squid quo

Inkling
Honestly hackers aren't that large of a problem, I see them only once every few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom