• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Your Opinion on Paid Online

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Nintendo's new online service will require you to pay in order to play online, starting in Fall and the free trial begins in March when the Switch launches. What's your thought on this? Do you feel online should of stayed free?

HySquid

Full Squid
NNID
mob362
Cons:

You have to pay.

Pros:

You are supporting nintendo by doing so.

It is only 10$! (I think)

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
I would say it means they are planning to take Online Play much more seriously. If they need payment for the servers, then it means they are paying more money to boost the power of the servers, so I am in TOTAL favor of this move by Nintendo. Not only this, but chances are there won't be as many free willy people playing on the servers due to the restriction. I understand some people are against this, and it's totally fine because they just wanna play their game, but good connection comes with a cost.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I support paying for online. Paid online has less lag, less wait times, smoother transitions, everything is usually a plus.

50$ per year is affordable to anyone. (With a job at least).

Nikoamii

Inkling
NNID
starduelerniko
I felt it coming. It was a pretty safe bet considering everybody else does it, I just hope this means we get some cool perks (which nintendo has already pretty much confirmed)

My only thing is I hope it's 40-50$ a year, which I also think is a safe bet.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Yeah. Server lag and connection errors were one of the biggest problems for everyone. Imagine not having to worry about losing rank(?) points or whatever they have and not constantly having connection errors. Also having an option to only play with players in your region would be awesome. No more annoying OP Japanese players ruining my day.

InkWoomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rosalina_Luma12
In my opinion, I don't like it. I'm not wasting money for something like online services. I really want Splatoon 2, but I HAVE to pay in order to play. Nintendo lets free internet play for Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and more consoles! But the Nintendo Switch? No. Wonder how much money Nintendo is making right now.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
In my opinion, I don't like it. I'm not wasting money for something like online services. I really want Splatoon 2, but I HAVE to pay in order to play. Nintendo lets free internet play for Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and more consoles! But the Nintendo Switch? No. Wonder how much money Nintendo is making right now.
It's not like there won't be local multiplayer or the campaign still. And from what we've seen the Switch can hold full battles, even portably. Sure the payment thing sucks, and I empathize with you, at least it'll be free for the first few months.

InkWoomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rosalina_Luma12
They will probably let you have a free trial of 3 months or something. But how about lifetime? Lifetime maybe costs like 200 dollars, but it's sad there isn't a lifetime. Guess I have to deal with it.

InkWoomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rosalina_Luma12
Well, I'm pissed that I have to pay in order to play online. I mean, it's not gonna die. I'm just mad because I need to pay.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It sucks big @##

-Xbox and Playstation do it. I admired Nintendo for not stooping down for a quick buck. Since we are lacking details, I can't properly judge it, but their website is saying it will be necessary for "most online gameplay", which leaves the door open pretty wide for full on subscription bulls#*%

-How much does server upkeep cost? It can't cost too much if Nintendo has been keeping online play free up until now.

How much will the subscription actually be and for what games will it be nessessary? If it is for splatoon and is $5 or more a month, I hope Nintendo at least makes a statement about why and where the extra profit is going (maybe official e-sports, server improvement, etc.)

There will be plenty of people who can afford a $5 monthly / $60 a year payment, but that will turn off a portion of would be online gamers.
If the above were the case for Splatoon 2, I am concerned for our game's community size.

If someone from Nintendo is reading, I humbly ask: please exempt splatoon from having to pay to play online matches, or please keep it low as to not keep people from playing online (example: $5 yearly for pokebank is reasonable). I've had some great times with complete strangers over Splatoon, and I'd hate to have that pool of people reduced. Thank you for reading.

Well, I feel a little better getting that off my chest anywhoz =)

Last edited:

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
While I think it sucks, here are some other opinions.

1) The money should go toward better connection. It's Nintendo so I'm expecting quality.

2) Splatfests will motivate people to pay for online play which will in turn encourage Nintendo to make them good.

3) If many people are turned away by the price there will be more live events to bypass the price.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It's feels incredibly dumb to me because kids form the target audience to Splatoon, and if there's one thing i know about kids is that they don't have the money to pay up on a timely basis and especially not the methods to do so online. It's no doubt that this will take a big hit to the game's potential playerbase, and reminds me that Nintendo really has trouble adapting to modern times because they could've easily added a freemium system on top of it instead.

I actually thought Nintendo would rather come with a freemium option, like exclusive weapon, gears and skins up for purchase with irl cash to end up making profit to keep the servers running. Overwatch has those too more-or-less and they ended up making far more profit than the game itself had. But y'know, i guess that would make too much sense in a game that's all about fashion.

I get that their servers need money to run, but there's a so much easier alternative that is not only far more profitable but also allows everybody to play. You guys have no idea how much money adults are willing to blow on garbage loot boxes.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
It's feels incredibly dumb to me because kids form the target audience to Splatoon, and if there's one thing i know about kids is that they don't have the money to pay up on a timely basis and especially not the methods to do so online. It's no doubt that this will take a big hit to the game's potential playerbase, and reminds me that Nintendo really has trouble adapting to modern times because they could've easily added a freemium system on top of it instead.

I actually thought Nintendo would rather come with a freemium option, like exclusive weapon, gears and skins up for purchase with irl cash to end up making profit to keep the servers running. Overwatch has those too more-or-less and they ended up making far more profit than the game itself had. But y'know, i guess that would make too much sense in a game that's all about fashion.

I get that their servers need money to run, but there's a so much easier alternative that is not only far more profitable but also allows everybody to play. You guys have no idea how much money adults are willing to blow on garbage loot boxes.
Their target demographic for Splatoon 2 has changed to high-school/college kids/young adults with their eSports marketing of the game. While it has a cartoonish art style that certainly doesn't make it a game targeted to young kids and I highly doubt they make up a majority of playerbase as you suggest. Cost likely won't be an issue for most players. But I do agree there will be a hit to the playerbase and I think it will be acceptable (way less potato connections and less bad players is good).

Also THANK GOODNESS Nintendo hasn't adopted the garbage freemium model especially in a fully priced game. The closest they've done is locking some content to amiibo figures and that's all they should do.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Their target demographic for Splatoon 2 has changed to high-school/college kids/young adults with their eSports marketing of the game. While it has a cartoonish art style that certainly doesn't make it a game targeted to young kids and I highly doubt they make up a majority of playerbase as you suggest. Cost likely won't be an issue for most players. But I do agree there will be a hit to the playerbase and I think it will be acceptable (way less potato connections and less bad players is good).

Also THANK GOODNESS Nintendo hasn't adopted the garbage freemium model especially in a fully priced game. The closest they've done is locking some content to amiibo figures and that's all they should do.
It showed exactly one scene of it being played in a tournament, as far as i remember. Not much in the sense of eSports catering, unless they really start organizing tournaments and the like but that'll likely happen after it's release.

Have you heard of Nintendo Badge Arcade? They already did it there, which made me think they'd possibly add it to Splatoon but that turns out not to be the case.

Don't get me wrong, i despise both but when it comes to either it being that everyone pays monthly charges or a model where you can cosmetic items for real-life dollars then I'd have the latter. Ask yourself, what is worse: paying 60$ for a game and monthly charges on top of that or 60$ with the addition of optional micro transactions? Both are garbage, but if I'm forced to pick one option it'd be the latter.

And nothing about this news implies that they'll get better connectivity. It filters out the players who don't have the money or means to make monthly transactions, not the bad or people who still think about using dial-up. The only thing that we know is that it's locked behind a paywall now, that and we know of is that there's a friend-only voice chat service and a lobby chat service (Must be nice, typing without a frickin' touchscreen)

Energyblade7

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Energyblade
people might get pissed at the fact that they will have to "pay to play" and refuse to do so.

maybe it will die, maybe it wont die?
Yeah I'm really worried about Splatoon 2's potential player base because of that paywall,

Hopefully they can come up with some sort of compromise, like those who do pay to play can have access to online on the go, while those who don't can still play online, but only if there docked...
That could give a people an incentive to pay, but won't restrict those who cant pay or don't like the system

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom