• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Your personal thoughts on motion controls in Splatoon

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Hey guys & gals, I discussed the topic of motion controls in my newest video and felt it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the topic as well. Have a listen and give us your thoughts!

Motion Controls segment begins at 5:40

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
I have a couple perspectives when it comes to this whole stick controls vs. motion controls thing, so I'll split it up here.

I've been a member of the Touhou community for going on six years. There are multiple ways to play those games, namely using a keyboard vs. using a controller/pad, and every once in a while I see someone inevitably make a forum thread with the exact same question: which one is better? One difference between Touhou and Splatoon, however, is that with the former, there is very little if any tangible benefit from using one type of controller over another - you have access to all the same motions and techniques. And every time one of these threads appears, the overwhelming sentiment expressed by those who respond is that you should use whichever controls you feel most comfortable with. Even with a game like Splatoon, where one control scheme does offer significant benefits, as you mentioned in the video, I would still preface any sort of discussion on this topic the same way, that people are free to use whichever controls they want and should not be ridiculed for it.

At the same time, I'm hesitant to call "inexperience with a control scheme" as a valid reason for not considering learning it, especially when it does give you tangible benefits. Many Westerners in particular have played various console shooters with sticks for years. I'm no exception, having played quite a bit of Halo throughout the second half of high school and throughout college (never competitively, however). On the flip side, I've never played a PC shooter, where motion controls are supposedly more common. With that kind of personal history, I went into Splatoon wondering just how well the motion controls with the Gamepad would work. I tried it a couple times near the beginning, and like many people I had a similar reaction of "wow this feels so awkward I don't want to play with this" and turned them back off. However, after some time, I eventually started seeing just how much the stick controls were leaving me at a disadvantage, mainly from the slower turning rate and inability to jump and aim - I felt like I was actually limiting myself at a rather basic level by continuing to use only sticks. That was what finally told me that I shouldn't just dismiss motion controls because I didn't know how to use them. So I sat down and played through all of Hero Mode with motion controls, not using the R-stick at all so I could teach myself to rely on using the Gamepad to aim instead. And by the time I was done, I felt comfortable enough to bring it into my online play, though I obviously still needed to make some adjustments and improvements along the way.

I guess that's the main critique I have about the linked portion of your video, the commentary gives the tone that motion controls simply being new for a lot of us, and different from the norm for console shooters, is somehow not on us players but is instead the fault of the control scheme itself. Yes, it's new, but put it in perspective: at some point when we were all younger, we had to learn how to use stick controls as well. We shouldn't be holding a "new" control scheme to a different standard like that. Saying you're inexperienced sounds more like a john in this case. You're gonna have to put in the time to learn motion controls, it's not something you can just pick up instantly, but myself and others who've learned them will tell you that it doesn't take an inordinate amount of time to do so either. Your comments related to the "physical" nature of motion controls are in a similar vein. If your aim is unsteady (from here on I mean "you" generally, not calling Cobbs out specifically), then you need to practice more. In short, it's on you, not the control scheme. Similar thing if it's some physical condition that's beyond your control; yes it's unfortunate, but it's not anyone or anything's fault. And if you're injuring yourself playing a video game, then for god's sake stop playing so you can heal up. And preferably figure out how to prevent yourself from getting injured in the future.

To sum up, again, you can always use whichever control scheme you want, but I would also advise others to think about why they're making the choice they are and see if it actually makes sense.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I personally find the motion controls hard to use correctly. I'm not used to moving, tilting to move the camera up and down, and rotating the camera with the right stick at the same time; feels a little too hard for my brain to handle. If I could turn drastically by tilting the GamePad, it would be easier for me, but turning is only slight in movement like that now. Thus, I stick with the analog camera; it feels more convenient to me.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Yeah, I think it's also kind of up to what weapon you specialize in. You can get away with control stick's limitations as a roller, whereas a charger will have a much harder time.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I feel like it just comes down to personal preference. I know that for myself, I play with motion controls to look up and down, and then use the right stick to look left and right, which is very comfortable for me. Someone else might just hate having to move the gamepad and might prefer and perform better with the right stick.

Demosthenes

Inkling
NNID
OrigamiMan
I've played with them since Testfire #1 and can't even think about playing without them myself. I don't think I just have the coolheadedness to operate both hands on the joysticks while holding the gamepad itself and watching the screen xD

I'm sure it's good for slower* people but I either focus too much on the screen or the controls

*Compliment. Taking things in and analyzing them on the spot, which I imagine joystick control people as being.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
I stuck with motion controls because everyone who played the game before release said they eventually got used to them and found them a better way to play. I don't know what I'd do if I had to use the stick to look up and down now, haha.

Syrek

Grandmaster of Splating
NNID
Mychal
Most people prefer to stick with something familiar rather than exploring the unknown, which is too bad given the advantage motion controls provide, especially during ranked battles. I didn't just get to S rank through skill and perseverance alone. It was a mixture of those attributes and motion controls. Most, if not all players S rank or higher use motion controls because of how precise and quickly you can respond to various situations. I tried using the stick controls and found them to be incredibly slow and cumbersome after using motion controls for so long. There is a learning curve, there's no doubt about it, but the benefits outweigh the negatives IMO. It becomes second nature and an extension of your very body once you become proficient at them. Of course, not everyone is comfortable with motion controls, which is understandable, but I challenge everyone to at least give them at chance, especially in single player so they can become accustomed to the difference in speed and accuracy you gain through motion controls.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
Usually, I find motion controls to be a lot quicker and easier to use. However, sometimes they can feel very off no matter how many ways I rest my gamepad and reset the camera, and that has thrown me off my game before - especially when using a splat charger. I think both have their own pros and cons. It's essentially the boxers vs. briefs argument of this game, haha! If you're playing as a roller, though, it probably wouldn't matter either way.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I play mostly charger weapons, so motion controls are a must for me. I am so used to them that I sometimes try to move the camera tilting the controller in other different games.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's time for dual analogs to die. It's 2015 and we finally have viable alternatives for consoles, quit clinging to the past.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Controller options always end up to whatever you find to be the most comfortable. If you prefer motion controls, you prefer motion controls. If you prefer stick controls, you prefer stick controls. End of story.

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
I've had no trouble getting used to motion controls, probably because I've played around with them in mobile games before. I hope future Wii U and PS4 shooters support motion controls.

Anyway, if you have unsteady hands, try using the right stick for general camera movement and motion controls for fine tuning your aim while letting your arms rest on something. That's what I did starting out.

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've had no trouble getting used to motion controls, probably because I've played around with them in mobile games before. I hope future Wii U and PS4 shooters support motion controls.

Anyway, if you have unsteady hands, try using the right stick for general camera movement and motion controls for fine tuning your aim. That's what I did starting out.
Lol @ future Wii U shooters :/ RIP Wii U...

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
I can't even think about playing without motion controls. You play enough and it's second nature. It sure felt odd at first, but I laugh at those early videos and websites telling people to disable it because some people can't try something new.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I used motion controls from the start of the first testfire because I knew they would be better. I use +5 sensitivity and rest the gamepad between my knees, only making movements with my wrists. That way your arms don't get tired and you can sit pretty comfortably.

It was kinda funny arguing with people in the first few weeks that thought motion controls were worse than sticks, it was so obvious they would be better. But I guess some people are just stuck in the past and refuse to look at things objectively. If you want to be as good at the game as possible, you should use motion. I'm sure there will be a few players that use sticks that can play at the level of top tier motion players, but that can't and will not be everybody. There is always those handful of people that play at a disadvantage and can win.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I dislike the motion controls in Splatoon, I find them annoying and that they make it more difficult to do a lot of things with.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I feel the only way to effectively use analog is to always be y-snapping in order to get that same reaction time. I have to reset my camera a lot less with motion controls. It may work for some but if its another button you dont have to press I dont know why you would put in the extra effort imo, especially when we already use so many in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom