• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Your preferred controller(s) for Splatoon 2?

Which controller setup(s) did you like?

• Handheld mode (Joy-Cons attached to console)

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Joy-Cons held separately

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Joy-Con Grip (AKA "Swoof Grip")

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Pro Controller

Votes: 24 61.5%

• Total voters

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Now that the Global Testfire is over, I thought I'd ask people's thoughts about which controller setup(s) they preferred for splatting. Did they feel comfortable? How was the gyro feedback (if any)? Please feel free to share your experiences!

Personally, I found that the standard grip was the most comfortable for long periods of splatting, especially since the gyro feedback just felt stronger. Same with the Pro Controller--at least, the few times I handled it at my local Switch and Play event. I'd have to buy one of my own just to be sure. Handheld mode was also okay if a bit heavier. On the other hand, I never tried having the Joy-Cons separate since I was used to having them move together like how the Wii U GamePad worked in Splatoon 1. Maybe when the full game comes out I should try that setup too.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The standard grip will work just fine for me, from what I've seen. I will get a pro controller eventually, but since that's 70 bucks and out of stock currently, I can wait.

I can't imagine playing this with seperate joy-cons, or in handheld mode. The former would feel odd to me, but then I never really wrapped my head around wiimote + nunchuk either. The latter... I'm pretty sure someone's gonna give themselves motion sickness if they use motion controls with a screen they're staring at.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
From experience with what I tested, the Pro Controller and the Joycon + grip worked the best. Handheld mode is also good, and the gyro controls don't feel they get in the way of my play experience. Still would prefer to play in tabletop mode though. The Joycons separated feels the most awkward to me. Only the right joycon controls the gyro, and with me being used to playing the original, I am used to tilting both hands to control the game.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I tried the grip and pro controller and liked the grip much better. It's smaller and I'm used to it more than the pro
To anyone that wonders though, the pro is really comfortable.
Only the right joycon controls the gyro, and with me being used to playing the original, I am used to tilting both hands to control the game.
this is what ruled out breaking them apart for me

Also, the rumble is...interesting. Just you can't feel it as well with the grip.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I won't vote because I haven't bought and will not buy the Pro Controller, so I can't tell if it's more comfortable or not. However, what I can say is that Handheld mode doesn't work for me at all. It's absolutely dreadful. I prefer docking the switch and using the swoof grip. Using the playstand for handheld mode works too, but the screen is way too small for me do really play well. Splatoon requires a lot of attention to the surroundings of the map, which doesn't work for me with such a tiny screen, even though I have perfect eyes.

derty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
derty10
id have to say pro controller with motion control off is ideal.
motion control is pointless imo.
well not pointless but I feel if I had a wiimote in my hand then that would be the best way to play by far...

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
well not pointless but I feel if I had a wiimote in my hand then that would be the best way to play by far...
I play with motion control off already, but even with the JoyCon analog was tough to play with. The reason most people (including myself, even though I don't use it yet) think that motion control is better is because it's easier to make very small shot adjustments. Especially with the JoyCon, I found making those adjustments even harder than with the GamePad. The stick felt jittery, and sometimes it was hard to find the sweet spot where the camera would turn slightly. It felt like an all or nothing turn button. Sometimes the stick would even shift upwards slightly when I thought that I had moved it strictly to the right. The Pro Controller will most likely be better, but it's things like the problems I had that make the motion controls more reasonable. I would love to hear your argument tho :p

derty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
derty10
I play with motion control off already, but even with the JoyCon analog was tough to play with. The reason most people (including myself, even though I don't use it yet) think that motion control is better is because it's easier to make very small shot adjustments. Especially with the JoyCon, I found making those adjustments even harder than with the GamePad. The stick felt jittery, and sometimes it was hard to find the sweet spot where the camera would turn slightly. It felt like an all or nothing turn button. Sometimes the stick would even shift upwards slightly when I thought that I had moved it strictly to the right. The Pro Controller will most likely be better, but it's things like the problems I had that make the motion controls more reasonable. I would love to hear your argument tho :p
i totally agree on the small adjustment changing being easier on the fly for sure.
now i also had an issue with the cam scrolling up to birds eye randomly haha
not sure if it was my fault or not.
maybe i was just slightly tilted up and didn't realize it due to the intensity of the game D:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Well, if you are right handed, using the two joycon seperately, one in each hand, might be the best for you in terms of motion controls, since the right joycon can act as a wiimote of sorts. Main reason why I don't use analog controls is because a lack of aim assist makes aiming with sticks a pain.

derty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
derty10
Well, if you are right handed, using the two joycon seperately, one in each hand, might be the best for you in terms of motion controls, since the right joycon can act as a wiimote of sorts. Main reason why I don't use analog controls is because a lack of aim assist makes aiming with sticks a pain.
...y didn't I think of that lol
thanks for the suggestion :D
gonna b trying this out on release :cool:

mario123007

Pro Squid
The standard grip will work just fine for me, from what I've seen. I will get a pro controller eventually, but since that's 70 bucks and out of stock currently, I can wait.

I can't imagine playing this with seperate joy-cons, or in handheld mode. The former would feel odd to me, but then I never really wrapped my head around wiimote + nunchuk either. The latter... I'm pretty sure someone's gonna give themselves motion sickness if they use motion controls with a screen they're staring at.
I play the entire Splatfest with Joy Con in grip with looking at me Switch console. I don't tend play it on TV yet.
I will be getting Pron Controller once I have the cash.

Forte

Inkster Jr.
Good to know not everyone prefers Pro Controller. I plan to try out the Joy-Con version for a little while before purchasing the Pro.

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
I played the Splatfest demo mostly with the grip and gyro off (separate joycons didn't feel right although I loved that scheme for Zelda). I found grip controls passable but not very comfortable, and my right hand started hurting after a while, probably due to the blocky shape of the joycons in the grip. Luckily I was able to snag a pre-order on the Sploon themed pro controller, and as soon as it came in I had my 'Oh, so -this- is how people stand using gyro controls' moment. I definitely couldn't go back at this point, pro controller feels soooo good for this game, best $80 I've spent in a while.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Due to the fairly high cost of the Pro Controller, I probably won't be getting it anytime soon. As a result I mainly use the grip with gyro controls on as I also used said control scheme during the "first" splatfest.

Overall, my experience with it has been pretty good. I have no issues with it being uncomfortable and for the most part aim hasn't been an issue (for me at least) so far.

Belial

Full Squid
I never saw the need for a pro controller even for wii u and I'll stick to my grip controller. I got the splatoon 2 grip and it's so comfy with the rubber handles. I use mostly gyro controls so I don't like playing with the separately. I learn gyro and the 3ds and wii u after all so the block is what I'm used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom