1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Your worst maps for Splat Zones?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Alexandoop, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Alexandoop

Alexandoop Inkling

NNID:
    TheUltraDeino
    Basically title. Which maps do you usually do the worst in Splat Zones?

Personally I do the worst in Urchin Underpass and Port Mackerel, Mackerel mostly because I'm too stubborn to change out of Aerospray RG and I keep getting paired up in teams full of blasters vs a team with a charger and a roller, and due to that, I can't really do my usual strats in Splat Zones since the map is very charger and roller-based. (god I hope we get to be able to join friends in ranked battles soon)

2. Squelchior

Squelchior Inkling

NNID:
    dekudesu
    Saltspray. Definitely.

My lone contender for favourite overall Regular Battle stage,but the way the Splat Zone in Saltspray is placed is way too blocked off by walls and way too exposed to sniper points for my liking. See, in Underpass, there is time and space to get up from the Splat Zone and CHALLENGE Chargers while still having a fair fight. I can run any weapon on other stages and still have a fair chance, in all the other stages the Zone isn't as obstructed, why is Saltspray's so walled off and off centre?

I have to run my favourite Jet Squelcher/Dual Squelcher set all the time to smack Chargers from the high-up vantage points and find myself with a tiny timeframe to also escape players supporting those Chargers from the sidelines. I love solo all the other maps, but whenever I try anything on Saltspray, I essentially rely on my anonymous internet squid mates to support my advances. Frankly, I love to take the whole area first, blazing a path there in Regular but the foes will always have the same idea in Ranked, and it's super hard to escape the Splat Zone under attack as well.
    Summed up; If a Zone limits the way I have to play and approach it, in my playstyle, then it's not for me.

3. Hinichii.ez.™

Hinichii.ez.™ Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?

NNID:
    Hinichii
    Can't say I do bad on any in particular, but I certain dislike skatepark.

4. Rhode

Rhode $("div.content::dd").hide();

NNID:
    ricobullet
    "You are worst maps?" lol

I personally don't like Saltspray Rig

5. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Inkling

NNID:
    Link1182
    I've always had a hard time on Saltspray Rig.

6. ILikeKirbys

ILikeKirbys Inkling Commander

NNID:
    ILikeKirbys
    Walleye.
    Warehouse.
    I can't ever seem to get a foothold here, and almost every time the other team gets the zone, they win by knockout. Rushing the center seems like an exercise in futility, but that's what needs to be controlled; I'm not sure how to tackle this.
    I like the other stages (especially Port Mackerel), but that one just annoys me.

Squelchior likes this.
  7. Fightersword

Fightersword Good TOs are Capitalists
    Super Moderator

NNID:
    Fightersword
    Arowana Mall. Its design just... annoys me for some reason. Not sure exactly what it is, but it just really grinds my gears. The port gets the runner up award, but I don't really dislike the port, I just don't really like it.

8. Kaliafornia

Kaliafornia Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....

NNID:
    Kaliafornia
    I used to hate Port Mackerel for ranked but now that my skill level has gone up I have been liking it more and more.

9. Tat

Tat Inkling

NNID:
    Goldbit
    Arowana Mall... Making my way up the middle ramps is a challenge every time.

10. Power

Power Inkling Commander

NNID:
    TheOriginalBallr
    Arowana Mall, without a decent team its over once the enemy establishes a decent base in the middle. After just having played in urchin underpass I don't hate it, but its near the bottom of stages I dont like. I wish I could give a valid reason but nope. :l

11. The ΩS

The ΩS Retired

NNID:
    Renwin
    Saltspray Rig. Even in Turf War, I hate it. If I don't wall that top very well, it's pretty much game right there. Chargers will cream me at practically every angle possible and two-three other inklings will ensure to giving me a hard time.

12. superman

superman Senior Squid

I don't do well on Blackbelly Skatepark but I get better every time I play it :)

What I also like about Splatoon is that I think every single map is very playable and well designed. In my experience it is incredibly rare for a shooter to have so many good maps at launch. Most other shooters I've played struggle to find a decent mappool for a tournament with BO5 sets soon after launch and the community has to step up and create worthwhile maps.

13. pixelatedcody

pixelatedcody [S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]

NNID:
    cncody
    I'm not a big fan of port mackerel. but that's just personal preference. Sometimes I'm not a big fan of the skatepark either...

14. Ace.

Ace. Inkling

NNID:
    TheRealAcem8
    skatepark is legit everyone teleporting to top tower and its the most annoying thing to play ever

15. Duralumin

Duralumin Inkling

NNID:
    Lumadurin
    I dislike Port Mackrel because of how how chokepoint-y the map is, the narrow width of the passages, how little verticality there is to the map as a whole, and how far away the zones are from one-another (meaning there's little incentive to play aggressively once you have the lead; Skatepark is a better two-zone map due to the close proximity of the zones meaning you're inadvertently forced to play aggressively).
    That and how if there's a single Roller present, the central containers turn into a game of Pac Man. No idea why they removed the moving platforms.

16. Indy Wolfy

Indy Wolfy Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    CheveyoWolf
    I dislike both Port Mackarel and Blackbelly Skatepark for the fact of controlling 2 splat zones:

Port Mackarel - I dislike the fact that in those tiny corridors / grids that a person can easily be pinned down by either a splattershot or a blaster with range and gives little to no option for a counter-attack w/o help from friends or any ambush opportunity so it comes down to the matter who has more grit and who has backup hiding beneath the ink.

Blackbelly Skatepark - Is the opposite of Port Mackarel for the fact is too open and that range blaster (splattershot) can pin ppl down on there own and not to mention rollers can have a field day hiding up on top the tower between the 2 zones and just jump down to ambush you or hide in the ink and wait til you get close to strike and the fact they can fling the ink a great distance.

In short PM is too close-quartered while BS is too open so these maps never have any balance from my experiences

17. Sosuneki

Sosuneki Inkling

NNID:
    Mystmyst
    Saltspray Rig I seem to do the worst here even though I am decent at it in Turf

18. Agosta44

Agosta44 Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Agosta
    Saltspray Rig. It's very easy to get boxed out and it doesn't seem like most players know how to flank or regain control there. Runner up is Arowana Mall on Ranked. I've walked off the grating at least 15 times.

19. Alus

Alus Senior Squid

NNID:
    starsauce
  20. Poxnixles

Poxnixles Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Vitiel
    I actually really like Saltspray on Splat Zones because when both teams are competent, the point is the most intensely contested while actually having ways to flank.

Blackbelly's openness makes Splat Zones really fun on that map as well.

Port Mackerel is way too campy because of the chokes and limited ways to approach the points.

Nukichuu likes this.