• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Zelda..

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Damn, that's one of the saltiest comment sections I've ever read. Although it makes sense for Nintendo to have it on NX if they want to get as much money out of the game as possible.

Though I'm curious, if the NX does drop this year, what they'll advertise as the system's killer app for the time being. E3 can't come soon enough.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The ZendaU/NX dual release seemed all but a given. I loved Iwata but c'mon, we all knew he was lying to our faces when he told us ZeldaU was delayed to make it better :rolleyes:

Even NX being released in winter/spring instead of Holiday 2016 isn't that big a shocker.

The real shocker is they're not even going to REVEAL it at E3, meaning they can't show new games because they're all for NX, they have no new games coming for WiiU because it's going to be replaced by NX, They don't have a big holiday release title because it was delayed for NX, so at E3 they basically have absolutely nothing to show except a game that won't be released 9-10 months after the show. The timing isn't so bad for the console but not revealing it at E3 means they're effectively off the market for almost a full year.

Rikucchi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kyltsii
Wii U had so much potential but marketing and lack of games made it failure. I still love it and it has amazing games. I feel sad how it didn't get as big as Wii did. I remember many of my friends saying: '' I will get Wii U when new Zelda comes out''. And this was 2 years ago :D Hopefully NX and new Zelda will be succesful! I don't care so much about delay, I have plenty of games to play before it drops. Maybe someday NX will have Splatoon 2?

Award

Wii U had so much potential but marketing and lack of games made it failure. I still love it and it has amazing games. I feel sad how it didn't get as big as Wii did. I remember many of my friends saying: '' I will get Wii U when new Zelda comes out''. And this was 2 years ago :D Hopefully NX and new Zelda will be succesful! I don't care so much about delay, I have plenty of games to play before it drops. Maybe someday NX will have Splatoon 2?
I think Nintendo, and in particular Iwata, learned the wrong lessons from the success of the Wii, something he slightly admitted to later on. I think he though the Wii was wildly successful because it proved gameplay is more important than graphics after all, and because he successfully tapped the untold millions of non-gamers into the gaming fold as he set out to do. It was only after the WiiU started tanking that he started to realize the "casual" gamers are fickle, move on and were NEVER really brought into the dedicated gaming fold, and that the Wii was successful for its faddishness, not because it was a beloved gaming system. The NX I presume is born out of that belated understanding.

However I also believe the WiiU was NEVER meant to be a long term console, the merging of handheld and home platforms was something they'd determined to be essential before the WiiU ever released, and the WiiU was only meant to be a short-term stop-gap to fill the HD hole while they reorganized the company to merge the handheld and console businesses. It had a limited library because they were never going to pour tons of resources into it. I think the failure was bigger than they expected and thus the library was even smaller than they expected. But WiiU always seemed like a holdover until everything game together. Remember they merged the handheld and home hardware divisions and broke ground for the merged HQ the month WiiU released. NX was already the overarching corporate strategy the day WiiU hit shelves. But I also think Zelda was SUPPOSED to be WiiU only and was pulled only because they expected it would do somewhat better than it did.

Keep in mind, though, that Splatoon didn't take off and start selling consoles until right around when Iwata died, and the company was almost entirely directionless for 6 months after that as Splatoon rose (thus the "we're done Splatoon updates, wait no we're not!" not being in sync with "hey this game actually sells!" I think company strategy was set in motion around last E3 when things were looking grim, and after Iwata died everyone stuck with his existing assumption the platform failed and kept progressing in that direction - nobody noticed until too far along that thanks to splatoon it started NOT failing as hard as it seemed.

I still love the WiiU - it's basically a console "just for the fans" from the start, so while it has very little, 100% of what it has is just for us. Except AC Amiibo Festival. That one isn't. :P

Princess Bubbie

Tiny lil' monster
NNID
Princess.Bubbie
That's how Nintendo rolls. When in doubt ; Ensure a Zelda title at launch so people will buy the console just for the Zelda game and not touch it after for another 6 months because they didn't think about any other worthwhile titles until much later.

Award

That's how Nintendo rolls. When in doubt ; Ensure a Zelda title at launch so people will buy the console just for the Zelda game and not touch it after for another 6 months because they didn't think about any other worthwhile titles until much later.
Except WiiU: Launch with a Zelda themed minigame, promise an HD remaster a year later, promise an all new game a year after that, deliver it 3 years later on the next console :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom